Adios Aunt Jemima

RPM

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For the record, I have never and will never look at watermelon as a badge of shame, no matter how hard racist whites tried to make it so.

As a child of Texas summers who knows the glory of a cold slice on a hot day, and a half Mexican who thinks agua fresca de sandia is the most refreshing drink in the history of the world, watermelon is a gift to humanity.

Is fried chicken a badge of shame also?

I read, credibly somewhere, that friend chicken began its association with blacks because it was portable, kept decently well, and was palatable cold.  Thus, it was the perfect food for traveling, where accommodations were not available to blacks. 

I read, credibly somewhere, that friend chicken began its association with blacks because it was portable, kept decently well, and was palatable cold.  Thus, it was the perfect food for traveling, where accommodations were not available to blacks. 

See the old Chapelle routine about “I thought I liked it because it was delicious.”

Add me to that list. Fried chicken and watermelon picnic? Yes please.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

i don't know how much this plays into it, but chicken is also (comparatively) a poverty meat.  it's only Gen X and later that have consumed chicken in quantity all their lives.  in 1960 chicken consumption per capita was less than half of either beef or pork.  chicken consumption didn't pass pork for good until the mid 70s and took another decade to pass beef. 

https://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/about-the-industry/statistics/per-capita-consumption-of-poultry-and-livestock-1965-to-estimated-2012-in-pounds/

(though i doubt backyard chickens are counted in this stat)

34 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i don't know how much this plays into it, but chicken is also (comparatively) a poverty meat.  it's only Gen X and later that have consumed chicken in quantity all their lives.  in 1960 chicken consumption per capita was less than half of either beef or pork.  chicken consumption didn't pass pork for good until the mid 70s and took another decade to pass beef. 

https://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/about-the-industry/statistics/per-capita-consumption-of-poultry-and-livestock-1965-to-estimated-2012-in-pounds/

(though i doubt backyard chickens are counted in this stat)

Well, in the same thing I read (or I may have heard it on NPR), a whole chicken was regarded by the poor, black and white alike, as quite a premium meal, generally reserved for Sundays.  As far as beef and pork, those poor tended to buy offal and scraps, so it's all relative, I guess.

Edited by TwiceHorn

19 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Over my dead body!!!!

Mrs. Buttersworth or Death!!!

Why not both?

Ingredients: 'HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, WATER, SALT, CELLULOSE GUM, MOLASSES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR(LACTIC ACID), SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BENZOATE AND POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVES), CARAMEL COLOR, CITRIC ACID. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Wasn't store-bought chicken expensive back then? Like when Hoover said, "A chicken in every pot?" I'm thinking the stereotype comes from what you said. Backyard chickens.

no idea.  sounds like a question for army brat.

Texas connection

FORNEY, Texas (KLTV) - An East Texas family is not happy about the ‘brand changing’ of a popular pancake syrup: Aunt Jemima.

The iconic “Aunt Jemima” has long-standing ties with the city of Hawkins, and a goodwill ambassador named “Lillian Richard.”

Living in Forney, Vera Harris is the family historian for the Richard family of Hawkins, and could hardly believe a big part of their family legacy, the “Aunt Jemima” brand, was about to be erased from supermarket shelves.

“A lot of people want it removed. We want the world to know that our cousin Lillian was one of the Aunt Jemima’s and she made an honest living. We would ask that you reconsider just wiping all that away. There wasn’t a lot of jobs, especially for black women back in that time. She was discovered by Quaker Oats to be their brand person,” Harris said.

Lillian Richard became a goodwill ambassador for Quaker Oats, and for decades, portrayed Aunt Jemima all over Texas.

“She made an honest living out of it for a number of years. She toured around Texas,” Harris said.

In the Fouke community just outside Hawkins is a historic marker dedicated to Lillian Richard, who is recognized as one of several women who portrayed Aunt Jemima.

And the family is proud of what she did.

“She was considered a hero in Hawkins, and we are proud of that. We do not want that history erased,” Harris said.

Harris said her family feels that activism has gone too far.

“I wish we would take a breath and not just get rid of everything. because good or bad, it is our history. Removing that wipes away a part of me. A part of each of us. We are proud of our cousin,” Harris said.

Lillian Richard died in 1956 after working 23 years for the Quaker Oats company.

Harris said she and the Richards family are also against the renaming of military bases because many of their relatives are veterans.

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/06/19/family-woman-who-portrayed-aunt-jemima-opposes-move-change-brand/

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

Wasn't store-bought chicken expensive back then? Like when Hoover said, "A chicken in every pot?" I'm thinking the stereotype comes from what you said. Backyard chickens.

the chicken counsel people have a chart

https://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/about-the-industry/statistics/wholesale-and-retail-prices-for-chicken-beef-and-pork/

chicken has always been cheaper by a lot, but not by as much as it  is now.  maybe it is backyard chickens

8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Texas connection

FORNEY, Texas (KLTV) - An East Texas family is not happy about the ‘brand changing’ of a popular pancake syrup: Aunt Jemima.

The iconic “Aunt Jemima” has long-standing ties with the city of Hawkins, and a goodwill ambassador named “Lillian Richard.”

Living in Forney, Vera Harris is the family historian for the Richard family of Hawkins, and could hardly believe a big part of their family legacy, the “Aunt Jemima” brand, was about to be erased from supermarket shelves.

“A lot of people want it removed. We want the world to know that our cousin Lillian was one of the Aunt Jemima’s and she made an honest living. We would ask that you reconsider just wiping all that away. There wasn’t a lot of jobs, especially for black women back in that time. She was discovered by Quaker Oats to be their brand person,” Harris said.

Lillian Richard became a goodwill ambassador for Quaker Oats, and for decades, portrayed Aunt Jemima all over Texas.

“She made an honest living out of it for a number of years. She toured around Texas,” Harris said.

In the Fouke community just outside Hawkins is a historic marker dedicated to Lillian Richard, who is recognized as one of several women who portrayed Aunt Jemima.

And the family is proud of what she did.

“She was considered a hero in Hawkins, and we are proud of that. We do not want that history erased,” Harris said.

Harris said her family feels that activism has gone too far.

“I wish we would take a breath and not just get rid of everything. because good or bad, it is our history. Removing that wipes away a part of me. A part of each of us. We are proud of our cousin,” Harris said.

Lillian Richard died in 1956 after working 23 years for the Quaker Oats company.

Harris said she and the Richards family are also against the renaming of military bases because many of their relatives are veterans.

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/06/19/family-woman-who-portrayed-aunt-jemima-opposes-move-change-brand/

So beCause the diamond and silk of the early 20th century who died over half a century ago exploited her image for money all the people to come in perpetuity have to just live with it?

Nah, it had it's time and now it's time to go. Past time, actually. 

What will be the new names for "Columbia University",  "Yale University", among other institutions named for slave traders, etc?  Will the country of Columbia change their name,  the brand Columbia(sportswear, located at 130 N Christopher Columbus Blvd, Atlantic City, NJ 08401)?

Edited by zork
added address

Nothing against anyone or their memory if they were forced to make a living portraying a stereotype but that doesn't mean we need to keep that stereotype in perpetuity. 

I had no idea there were "Aunt Jemima's" that traveled the state or country probably showing up at grocery stores or fairs, but that's sad in hindsight.  "Put on your outfit and let the locals take a photo with you."

11 minutes ago, zork said:

What will be the new names for "Columbia University",  "Yale University", among other institutions named for slave traders, etc?  Will the country of Columbia change their name,  the brand Columbia(sportswear)?

Toss in Rice and Washington and Lee as well. 

Edited by EuroHorn

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The amusing part when you guys do the slippery slope bit is these companies voluntarily removed the logos and names. No one forced them to do it.

Yup. Corporate only looks at the P&L. They finally decided it was worth the expense.

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

Yup. Corporate only looks at the P&L. They finally decided it was worth the expense.

Or they are tired of killing all those Eskimos for their delicious pies.  Or they are turning in their name changes for maximum woke-credits.

12 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Add in the Virginias, the Carolinas, Georgia, Maryland, Louisiana and Maryland.    And any other city named for someone.   Every city town should be renamed.   Let's do this!!!!

Hold up now. Maryland AND Maryland? 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

and to a sacred monument to the indigenous people there

white people are just grand!

The Lakota only controlled it for a century after driving out its previous Cheyenne inhabitants and taking it for themselves.

white people are just grand!

On 6/20/2020 at 12:26 PM, TwiceHorn said:

When I lived in California we would camp/fish in the national forests around the Yosemite area. We always headed to the same spots (way off the radar) because you could camp right on the river and the forest services stocked the trout in these rivers. Still they are a pain in the ass to get to, and if you got skunked fishing, it was a pain in the ass to head to the nearest restaurant. Out solution was to pick up to a couple of tubs of KFC on the way in and just leave them in the back of the SUV all weekend. Morning, noon, or night that delicious chicken just sat there in its greasy splendor.....a true friend indeed if the trouts weren't accommodating.  Nobody ever got sick, or even the shits, from eating the chicken. I suspect that shelf life on unrefrigerated KFC is probably a week easy. 

23 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Washington, District of Columbia.  Washington state.  Lots of counties and cities.   Hell, tear down Mt. Rushmore.

Mount Rushmore is dumb as hell and was built on stolen land that was sacred to the Sioux. It's also just really fuckin weird. So yeah, take it down. Great idea.

7 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Mount Rushmore is dumb as hell and was built on stolen land that was sacred to the Sioux. It's also just really fuckin weird. So yeah, take it down. Great idea.

What wasn't built on stolen land?

Mt. Rushmore at least serves as a reminder that there used to be Republican presidents who were worth a shit. 

26 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Sacred land that they stole from the Cheyenne first.