7 minutes ago, G650 said:

They exist somewhere in the middle of Chief Wahoo and the Redskin in terms of Native American offensiveness.

Non indigenous tend to equate Redskins with the n word, and it's nothing like that. By and large over the years Native Americans take much greater exception to whitey co opting their imagery and culture such as Chiefs and Braves than the Redskins name.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cleveland Indians announce they are also reviewing their team name as well. Braves specifically said they’re not but that was before Cleveland made their announcement.

I can't think of too many instances where Native Americans had an issue with the Braves or the Chiefs. I'm sure there's some of that there but not like the Washington name. And the Cleveland Indians had more to do with the logo than the name. All that said, all 3 and FSU need to get rid of the Chop. 

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I can't think of too many instances where Native Americans had an issue with the Braves or the Chiefs. I'm sure there's some of that there but not like the Washington name. And the Cleveland Indians had more to do with the logo than the name. All that said, all 3 and FSU need to get rid of the Chop. 

NCAA removed all Indians names from schools except when a local tribe supported it, and it wasn’t a generic name like Indian or brave.  The chiefs haven’t seen to face the same criticism as Cleveland or Atlanta but once again it because Washington was so bad. Now that redskins will be removed, the 3 pro teams above are up next.

7 hours ago, tchookem said:
9 hours ago, TornACL said:
Yeah but it's all still just window dressing. None of this shit fucking matters. The name of the Washington football team isn't going to change a single thing about institutionalized racism. 

It's an act of good faith, and good faith is something we're in desperate need of right now.

We're in desperate need of action. Good faith is what gets offered up in lieu of real action each and every time. 

yeah, i specifically remember the Seminole tribe speaking up for the name and mascot. They just asked for a few "traditions" to be changed. That's my memory. And I'm high and getting almost drunk. So some details might be fuzzy

We're in desperate need of action. Good faith is what gets offered up in lieu of real action each and every time. 
No doubt. But good faith, at least to me, is the promise that action is coming. Here's hoping I'm not wrong (again).

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cleveland Indians announce they are also reviewing their team name as well. Braves specifically said they’re not but that was before Cleveland made their announcement.

See the source image

9 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, i specifically remember the Seminole tribe speaking up for the name and mascot. They just asked for a few "traditions" to be changed. That's my memory. And I'm high and getting almost drunk. So some details might be fuzzy

And a $100,000 honorarium  every year....   Allegedly...

It would only take one tweet from Patrick Mahomes to change the chiefs name. Doubtful he would do that as most nfl players are not leading the charge for social change. Goes against the nature of the average football player. 

13 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Anybody heard anything about these guys?  Looks like spic is doing most of the work.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Span covers a greater distance. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion