End of Sopranos. Spoiler

Nicole44

I think David Chase eloquently explained the ending in June 2007, and that’s never changed. It’s ambiguous and intended to be discussed/debated. 

Sure, I was pissed watching it in real time, but I raced to read reviews and interpretations of it. I discussed it with my friends. I later accepted it, sort of liked it, and I moved on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

This, and all of your other posts on the subject, sure aged well.

Here lies @WhatTheBuck. He perished on "Tony lives" hill. If you're quiet enough, you can still hear him calling me "cinematically illiterate" from the great beyond. Say hi to Kevin Finnerty for us!

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Here lies @WhatTheBuck. He perished on "Tony lives" hill. If you're quiet enough, you can still hear him calling me "cinematically illiterate" from the great beyond. Say hi to Kevin Finnerty for us!

If you think Tony died, how long before the final episode did you decide that he died?

15 hours ago, Genco said:

I never thought he died before the final episode. 

Me either. Throughout the entire series, I was pretty confident he was alive. Even when he was in the hospital. In fact Tony being obviously alive was one of my favorite aspects of his character. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I know there were a ton of loose ends to tie up in that last two-part episode, but I just don’t believe that Tony would go out like that. There was a ton of foreshadowing about “you never see it coming”, but do you really think he is going to take that seat in that booth with a blind spot to his right shortly after most of his crew has been gunned down in very public places?

And fucking Members Only Jacket sticking out like a sore thumb sitting alone at the counter in that family restaurant? He just saunters on by Tony to the bathroom and he never takes another look in the guys direction? It just doesn’t ring true. He’s the most cautious motherfucker there is. He’s also in a war with the fucking New York mob. He’s not gonna believe any cease-fire is real.

He goes out either guns blazing or taken down by the law. That’s really the only believable way to end it.  He’s not particularly smart but he is very cunning and very suspicious.

It would’ve been stupid and out of character but more believable if they had him go into the witness protection program and somehow get discovered and whacked a few years later when he had no reason to be on guard.

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I know there were a ton of loose ends to tie up in that last two-part episode, but I just don’t believe that Tony would go out like that. There was a ton of foreshadowing about “you never see it coming”, but do you really think he is going to take that seat in that booth with a blind spot to his right shortly after most of his crew has been gunned down in very public places?

And fucking Members Only Jacket sticking out like a sore thumb sitting alone at the counter in that family restaurant? He just saunters on by Tony to the bathroom and he never takes another look in the guys direction? It just doesn’t ring true. He’s the most cautious motherfucker there is. He’s also in a war with the fucking New York mob. He’s not gonna believe any cease-fire is real.

He goes out either guns blazing or taken down by the law. That’s really the only believable way to end it.  He’s not particularly smart but he is very cunning and very suspicious.

It would’ve been stupid and out of character but more believable if they had him go into the witness protection program and somehow get discovered and whacked a few years later when he had no reason to be on guard.

eta come to think of it that would be a fitting end with a call back to his college trip with meadow where he found and killed the rat

13 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

If I may quote the famous words of an esteemed Texas Quarterback: 

Take the loss, pussy.

Answer the question. Because no rationale person would watch that ending and conclude Tony died unless they’d already made up their mind that Tony dies at the end of the show. Admit it, they could’ve shown you anything and you would’ve interpreted it as Tony dying. You’re dodging the question because you know I’m right.

If James Gandolfini were still alive then they would’ve made a Sopranos movie with a still living Tony. But he’s not so that’s why they had to go with the prequel. 

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Answer the question. Because no rationale person would watch that ending and conclude Tony died unless they’d already made up their mind that Tony dies at the end of the show. Admit it, they could’ve shown you anything and you would’ve interpreted it as Tony dying. You’re dodging the question because you know I’m right.

If James Gandolfini were still alive then they would’ve made a Sopranos movie with a still living Tony. But he’s not so that’s why they had to go with the prequel. 

This post is bad and you should feel bad.  He died whether you realized he died immediately or if it took you a second to days to put the pieces together. But the pieces are there.    It’s part of being an interesting storyteller. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

David Chase tells us that Tony was killed in the final episode and you're telling us that we shouldn't believe him?

I never believed he died, when watching it, or for a few years afterward. I subscribed to the theory of leaving the viewer in limbo, like Tony would be. That is, until I read the article explaining the camera angles. As long as you are not a stubborn ass and are open to actually being wrong about things, if you read that explanation and then watch it again even a single time there is zero doubt. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If it had ended with Meadow joining them at the table, and the four of them enjoying their onion rings while Shiny Happy People plays and the credits roll.... no, I would not have interpreted that as Tony dying. In fact I wasn't expecting him to die at all at that point. 

I can't believe you're still at it, after reading Chase describe the ending as "the place where Tony gets it". 

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm not sure what's funnier, your obstinate indignance or your weird belief that this is some kinda "gotcha" question. Maybe you've huffed too many toxic couch fumes or something, because you really struggle to make a single cogent point. I had already made up my mind before seeing the ending? Huh? Why would I do that?  I watched the last season enjoying the suspense of not knowing how it would end like every other viewer in the world. Except maybe you. Are you projecting? When did you decide David Chase was going to end the greatest creative achievement of his life, and what is consistently recognized as one of the top 3-5 best television shows of all time,  on a silly 4th wall breaking prank?

Now I have a few more questions:

1. When David Chase said, "Tony should get it in a place like this" - What do you think he meant?

2. Have you come around on admitting you've spent your whole life being woefully ignorant of how filmmakers use point of view as a narrative device? Or do you still believe your personal opinion is correct and 100 years of the arts and a universally recognized film language is wrong? 

2b. Imagine a smug idiot in English class telling his teacher he's wrong about Moby Dick. "First person schmirst person. Ishmael doesn't narrate the story. He's not real. It's just the author putting words on a page!" Do you agree or disagree with said smug idiot?

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 2

He left it open ended enough to buy an out if he ever wanted to continue the story in any way. With Gandolfini dead, his prequel a dud, and 14 years later, Chase finally answers the question, kind of. 

The b side was the answer, at the time.

dont_stop_believing_yvlfpq.jpeg

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1