Rolled my Damn Ankle

Does anyone have a recommendation for a sports medicine or orthopedic group in Austin? Went to move a damn sprinkler last night stepped off the damn deck and reasonably damn sober, I rolled the fuck out of my damn ankle feeling several damn things pop or strain.  Iced and wrapped it last night and this morning it's the size of a softball and feels nothing like the sprained or rolled ankles I've had in the past. Any recommendations will be greatly damn appreciated. 

You might have broken a bone in your foot. I rolled my ankle badly several years ago (with a loud pop) and it caused an avulsion fracture of my 5th metatarsal. Basketball players get this often. IIRC Durant had it. I was in a cast for a couple of weeks and then crutches for a few more weeks. Go to an orthopedic surgeon. He will likely xray it. Then you will know it it’s something broken or just an ankle sprain.

I've always heard that even if it's just a sprain, don't walk on it for a week or so. I broke mine once sliding into second, and thinking it was just a sprain, tried to play on it a week or two later. Immediately felt something separate when I tried to run, so I just stayed off it for a while, skipped athletics for a couple of months. That was twenty yrs ago. No problems today. I play full-throttle tennis twice a week.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

You’ll want to rule out a fracture, but with all the swelling right now, it may be difficult to see at the moment. If you can tolerate any pressure, I would recommend light walking trying to maintain a natural gait. If you can’t tolerate weight, stay off it, but try to move it often throughout the day. Move your foot back and forth. Try to maintain mobility while it heals. I would stay away from ice, but would elevate it. But movement movement movement is key right now. Go see a doc to rule out fracture than see a PT. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, got in to see the folks at North Austin Foot and Ankle who were absolutely great. Nothing broken, but a pretty severe sprain, I'll be living the boot life for the next two weeks which should help me keep up with the toddlers. Maybe I can translate this into some sympathy loving from the wife. There's always an upside. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I feel your pain.  I've broken the same ankle and tore all the ligaments in it on two different occasions.  It sucks.

Liberal application of bourbon helps.

I mean, I feel close to some of you guys, but I sure ain't sharing ankles!

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you, OP.

• Like 1