Sign on bonus payback

The owner of the company is very non confrontational. I'm waiting to hear directly from her or her husband. They like to correspond through others. I'm going to play the wait and see game. They are more than welcome to email me and we can discuss it directly. Until then, I'm not saying a word.

26 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

The owner of the company is very non confrontational. I'm waiting to hear directly from her or her husband. They like to correspond through others. I'm going to play the wait and see game. They are more than welcome to email me and we can discuss it directly. Until then, I'm not saying a word.

"SubliminalHorn" is confrontational?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Same.  There are big restrictions on pulling from an employee's account and generally requires a specific agreement signed by the employee for that specific transaction and amount.

Yes.  I had it happen once.  Boss miscalculated my commission by a significant amount.  There was more paperwork to fix that then there was when I got hired.  I asked why I couldn’t just write her a check, and the answer was something something about taxes.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:34 AM, CooterBrown said:

The work environment was brutal. They touted 4 9s and a half day on FRI but your billable hours was based on 46 hours a week. If you had a holiday or a PTO day, they subtracted 9 hours from your billed time that you had to make up. You weren’t allowed to roll up your sleeves in the office. You were told to sit up in your chair if you leaned back or slouched. They held a “revival” annually called Eagle’s Nest where you had to get and tell the crowd how you were going to make them money over the next year. A coworker when meeting the CEO for the first time mentioned he was getting married. The CEO told him “I hope you’re not taking any time off for that. You have your entire life to be married but you can’t work forever.”

Other than that, the benefits were excellent.

For basically a civil engineering firm?  That is bizarre.  Sounds like the most un-engineering-like workplace imaginable.

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For basically a civil engineering firm?  That is bizarre.  Sounds like the most un-engineering-like workplace imaginable.

Yep. On the other hand, the project work was great and everyone was very competent. If I remember correctly, they contributed 10% to your 401K back in the mid-90s when i briefly worked there.  Pay was top notch.  But, culturally it was hard to deal with.  Dozens of times in my 6 months there, I got an assignment, that they were sitting on, on FRI morning that was due that day "before the last Fed Ex left the airport."  FYI, back then that was 10:45PM at DFW and 8:50PM at AUS.  Spent many a FRI night driving a CD-ROM to the airport.  It could be they were just trying to weed out anyone that didn't fit their narrow view of what an employee should be. Definitely worked for me. 

A few years later, they did add to their career page on their website that they were an "extra effort" company and your family needs to understand that if you get hired. LOL.

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. On the other hand, the project work was great and everyone was very competent. If I remember correctly, they contributed 10% to your 401K back in the mid-90s when i briefly worked there.  Pay was top notch.  But, culturally it was hard to deal with.  Dozens of times in my 6 months there, I got an assignment, that they were sitting on, on FRI morning that was due that day "before the last Fed Ex left the airport."  FYI, back then that was 10:45PM at DFW and 8:50PM at AUS.  Spent many a FRI night driving a CD-ROM to the airport.  It could be they were just trying to weed out anyone that didn't fit their narrow view of what an employee should be. Definitely worked for me. 

A few years later, they did add to their career page on their website that they were an "extra effort" company and your family needs to understand that if you get hired. LOL.

I worked in a different industry but had a similar employer. They openly said that the best way for you to be there for your family was to earn a good living to support them. Actually being there in person with your family was secondary. And the top people seemed to live by that philosophy as well.

I’m in the same industry, never worked for K-H, but heard similar stories. They aren’t the worst btw.

I'm guessing they bill by the hour, then?  
That is the most toxic customer billing and workforce treatment arrangement humanly possible.
Turns even ordinarily well-rounded engineers into greedheads.

Of course. However, you weren’t allowed to ever bill more than 46 hours a week. Hours past that were your “gift” to the company. That was standard at all 3 consulting firms I worked at. The only exception was the last firm since they did mainly federal work. The feds required you bill and get paid for all hours worked.