Black Lives Matter

Hugo Stiglitz

21 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

On a serious note, I think BLM kinda fucked themselves, from a PR standpoint, by making Michael Brown their beachhead.

They should have kept the focus on Trayvon Martin and Eric Garner. 

Probably some truth to this.  He didn't deserve to die, but the facts of it are murky enough to be problematic.

Especially if you assume that the egregious nature of the Floyd video was a big factor in kicking this off.

I remember being in Atlanta for work when the information about the Michael Brown case was hitting the news. I was at restaurant sitting by myself having some drinks and watching the news.

For the first time in my life I experienced the racial tension that we always hear about between whites and blacks. As the news coverage ended I noticed the place got really quiet and it was as if you could read what everyone was thinking by just looking at their faces.

As a Hispanic from San Antonio, Texas, I felt like Jessie Pinkman drinking a glass of water in the middle of Walt and Skyler having a fight. The tension was palpable and very uncomfortable. I asked for the bill in Spanish and as I walked out I muttered "Stay thirsty my friends".

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

On a serious note, I think BLM kinda fucked themselves, from a PR standpoint, by making Michael Brown their beachhead.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably some truth to this.  He didn't deserve to die, but the facts of it are murky enough to be problematic.

Especially if you assume that the egregious nature of the Floyd video was a big factor in kicking this off.

Only Well-Behaved Black Lives Matter

• Like 2

The problem with blm is they were promoted by the Russians in a political move to divide the races.  If they were storming Washington to make change like some sort of Malcom X movement I would totally be behind it but it's always just holding some rally and screaming at cops.  Not really that impactful honestly.  On their website they are openly unapologetic about promoting the black race only.  Which I guess is fine but it alienates a lot of other people who probably agreed with you.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

The American Cancer Society doesn't do much for diabetes. Which I guess is fine, but it alienates a lot of fat people.

While that is a hilarious response, Fat people don't have as much to gain as black people do in this country.  Fat people have everything to lose. Get it. Wink. Wink.

I'll try to make this as succinct as possible, as I once believed that BLM was divisive and not needed in the climate in which it was produced (I still maintain tensions really started to bubble after Obama was elected.)

If you're one of these "All Lives Matter" people, first, stop it. That message has already been hijacked by people like these fine "Patriots."

10 hours ago, DixonHur said:

i3s598nc7l551.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Secondly, we as a nation (one could argue as earthlings,) have never really valued/ seen black folks as equals. So to scream back something so disingenuous as to be ignorant of what that particular race of people have experienced is like asking for forgiveness without saying sorry or even acknowledging a problem exists. 

So if all lives truly matter, let's finally start acknowledging black lives do too. 

• Like 6

There’s not many things whiter than Peter Frampton.  The dude is basically a guitar playing bucket of Hellman’s. 

If he’s having to explain BLM, then please listen. 
I heard it's still cooler to smoke real weed with a dude that looks like Frampton, than fake weed with the real Frampton. If said dude is unfamiliar with his work.

• Like 1

I think this thread could be best served by being informational and letting people know what they can do to help further the BLM Movement no matter where you live at. Post stories from protests you go to. Let people know what is going on that is positive in your local area. Let people see the change that is slowly, but surely going to occur. If you have the ability to attend protests and can take the proper precautions I believe you should do so. If you are worried about contracting Covid at a protest that is completely understandable. I personally quit caring if I get it at a protest or not. I take as many precautions as I possibly can, but I want to keep going out there to give vocal support to these protests. They are important and they are changing the fabric of our society in a positive way. 

I am going to attempt to post as much as I can about how you can help out. I'm white, but I'm out there helping and will keep doing so until the change that needs to happen finally does. We have a responsibility as human beings to help out those who don't have the voice that some of us might have. There are people who have perished from police brutality who can no longer speak for themselves and it is incumbent upon those of us that care about the part of our population that has been treated like garbage for 400 years to be there to listen to them and help get them the equality they deserve in every manner possible. 

Anyhow just support this movement and if you have been on the sideline like I was, but want to get out and help you can pm me and I can help you out in getting involved. There are also plenty of people on this board who can also help you get involved as well. Take that step and do the right thing.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 4

The half brother of Robert Fuller, a black man found hanging from a tree last week in Southern California, was shot and killed during an interaction with Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies, according to a statement from a lawyer for the Fuller family. 

The sheriff's department did not identify the man shot Wednesday in Kern County, but the family's attorney, Jamon Hicks, said it was Terron Jammal Boone.

The shooting took place around 4:30 p.m. local time Wednesday in Rosamond, the sheriff's office said in a statement. According to officials, it began as a search for "a kidnap domestic assault suspect" by the department's Major Crimes Bureau. 

"The Detectives observed and positively identified a male matching the suspect's description in a vehicle," Deputy James Nagao said in the statement. 

"Detectives followed the vehicle and attempted a traffic stop," he added. "The suspect opened the front passenger door of the vehicle and engaged the Deputies by firing multiple rounds at them with a handgun.

"At that time, an Officer involved shooting occurred during which the suspect was struck several times in the upper torso," the report said. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The female driver of the vehicle was also struck by gunfire, according to the report. She was treated at the hospital and released. A 7-year-old girl was in the car but was not injured. 

"This afternoon I had to notify the sisters of Robert Fuller that their half brother Terron Jammal Boone was killed by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies in Kern County," Hicks said in a statement. "At this time, until we receive all of the information, the family and their legal team [don't] have any further comment on this incident."

There is no law enforcement video available of the shooting, the Los Angeles Times reported. 

"None of the detectives nor their vehicles were equipped with cameras, but investigators are trying to recover footage from Ring cameras and other home video systems in the area," the newspaper said. 

This latest killing of a black person by law enforcement comes as protests continue across many cities in the U.S. calling for an end to police brutality and racial injustices in the criminal justice system. 

It also comes as community activists in California have been applying pressure for a more transparent investigation into Fuller's death. 

His body was found hanging from a tree on June 10 in Poncitlán Square near City Hall in Palmdale, Calif., about 20 miles south of Rosamond, where his half brother was shot and killed. 

Los Angeles County officials originally ruled Fuller's death a suicide before walking back those statements this week. 

According to Los Angeles Magazine, Los Angeles County's chief medical examiner-coroner, Jonathan Lucas, said Monday that officials earlier classified Fuller's death a suicide because there was no evidence indicating a homicide that was obvious at the scene.

"Initially, there wasn't any evidence or information that [led] us to believe that there was anything other than a suicide," he said, according to the magazine. "But that changed, or, I should say, we felt better that we should look into it a little bit more deeply and carefully, just considering all the circumstances at play."

At a rally Tuesday at Poncitlán Square, balloons decorated the tree Fuller was found on with candles and signs along its trunk. 

Roy Smith, a longtime Palmdale resident who is black, spoke of his mistrust about law enforcement wanting to do a thorough investigation into Fuller's death. 

"Police don't want to solve anything with blacks," Smith said. 

Sonya Price, a black woman who lives in San Bernardino but made the roughly 65-mile drive to Palmdale to take part in the demonstration, echoed Smith's sentiments. 

"Why would this 24-year-old kid, in the prime of his life, come to a field that's nothing but government and hang himself?" she asked. "They're lying. It's a cover-up."

She also said she fears for the safety of her teenage son. 

"When I found out this kid was hanging on this tree out here, the first thing I told my 16-year-old son was, 'You not to leave the house without me,' because now I'm scared," Price said. 

"Why do we have to live in fear? Just because we're black," she said. "It's not right."

Another black man, Malcolm Harsch, was found hanging from a tree May 31 in the California city of Victorville. 

The Times reported that federal agencies, including the FBI and the Department of Justice's civil rights division, are reviewing the hanging deaths.

22 hours ago, DixonHur said:

And Botham Jean and a host of others, which is really the larger point: this isn’t about having beachheads or poster boys or anything like that. 

If you want to talk about ways that people in a position of privilege can help in real, tangible ways, read this great piece: https://taskandpurpose.com/opinion/vincent-stewart-racism-black-lives-matter?fbclid=IwAR0R7CJ8PHA0ivESQDBmhrEceDv8EIJfD3VJoyf-k099B2iPRuBesgR52fY

Black former DIA, Lt. General, talking about his experiences with racism (so, so many), and some of what helped him succeed:

But the men who had the greatest impact on my career were three white men of privilege: Lt. Gen. Bob “Rusty” Blackman, and Gens. Jim Amos and Joe Dunford. These men, all now retired, saw something in me and did more than mentor me. They sponsored me, advocated for me, and spoke up on my behalf. They did more than extend a hand to pull me up. They lifted and carried me to the top of my profession. These men were in positions that allowed them to carry me and were able to use their levers of power and influence to elevate me to the top of my profession.

Where would I be without the efforts of these men? And yet, there is a far more important question to be asked of others in positions of power.

Who are you lifting up and helping to get across the finish line? What are you doing to affect positive change in America? Encouraging words are nice, but this country needs action. If you are in a position of power and privilege, I challenge you to mentor and advocate for people who don’t look like you.

As a person who has had incredible success in this country, I am directly appealing to those in positions of power and privilege to recognize the experiences of your fellow Americans who do not look like you, learn from them, and take meaningful actions to lift them up.

There's some rubber-meets-the-road stuff.  It isn't broad-scale.  You aren't saving the world.  You're most likely helping one person, one family.  But investing your time, efforts, and even your money, in helping someone who does not have the connections, benefits, etc. that you do is one of the most meaningful things you can do, with real results.  You don't have to run out and find someone to help.  The opportunities will come.  Just keep your eyes and mind open for when they arise, and jump in and take it.  It's a long-term investment, but IT PAYS OFF.  Not for you, but for all of us.

It's how we end up with badass Lt. Generals.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What the in the ever-loving fuck is going on with the cops in America?

You'd think they'd want to be extra careful these days, but I guess not.   

The US might just be beyond repair at this point.

Deputies shouted “hands up!” and Boone opened the passenger door and began firing from a semiautomatic handgun, authorities said. Boone fired at least six rounds, hitting the deputies’ vehicles, said sheriff’s Lt. Robert Westphal of the homicide bureau. 

Three detectives and their field supervisors returned fire, hitting Boone several times in the upper body and killing him, sheriff's officials said. He died at the scene, where a handgun was found.

In Boone's case, authorities allege he imprisoned his on-and-off girlfriend in her Palmdale home between June 9 and Monday, threatening and pistol-whipping her, court documents show. The girlfriend "waited for an opportunity when he wasn’t looking and she was able to get out, run to a business and had them call 911,” Westphal said

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-man-fatally-shot-deputies-held-woman-days-71333581

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DixonHur said:

And by getting further into the intersectionality abyss with their LGBTQ+ aims. If the org had stayed more true to its name, a simple and streamlined and possibly effective org could have emerged.

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There is no law enforcement video available of the shooting, the Los Angeles Times reported. 

"None of the detectives nor their vehicles were equipped with cameras, but investigators are trying to recover footage from Ring cameras and other home video systems in the area," the newspaper said. 

Forgive me if I don't automatically take the police version of events as the gospel given the history of cops killing black men

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Just a note for the readers.  In this thread, we see BLM being criticized as a movement for 1) making it all about black lives only, and 2) making it about things OTHER than black lives.

In short -- black people are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Yep

these lifelong conservatives are just ~*~ cOnCeRnEd ~*~ about ~*~ oPtIcS ~*~

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just a note for the readers.  In this thread, we see BLM being criticized as a movement for 1) making it all about black lives only, and 2) making it about things OTHER than black lives.

In short -- black people are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If you're representing my post that way, you're off base. 

Went with a friend to the protest march that started at City Hall today and wound up at Washington Square. It was pretty lively and upbeat today. I could only stay there for about 4 and a half hours today, but I will be back out this weekend because a friend is flying in tonight from LA that wants to take part in a protest. She is from Malawi originally, but now lives in South Africa most of the time. She definitely wants to get out and support what is happening. 

• Like 1

I've read of a number of cities and states considering local criminal justice reform which is really where a lot of the police violence needs to be addressed but what about a National Criminal Justice Reform act?

Bernie and Warren were the only candidates with decent CJR plans while everyone else's sucked ass. Are there any Democrats in the Senate trying to champion a significant CJR plan?

I don't expect Biden to do shit but maybe someone in the Senate (Sanders- Warren) can pick up the cause.

8 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Forgive me if I don't automatically take the police version of events as the gospel given the history of cops killing black men

If we’re not careful, we’re going to shatter the 2019 stats where 250 black men were killed by the cops (Of any color), only 6 of which were unarmed and only 2 of which did not resist arrest. The bullshit above of posting that Boone, the brother of a suspect suicide, was killed by cops but completely leaving out the part about him going Rambo with a semi-automatic weapon is pretty par for the course. There is a narrative and it must be fulfilled. Dozens of pairs of Jordans are at stake in the name of curing racism. Fuck cops and shit

Edited by Spankytoes

7 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

If we’re not careful, we’re going to shatter the 2019 stats where 250 black men were killed by the cops (Of any color), only 6 of which were unarmed and only 2 of which did not resist arrest. The bullshit above of posting that Boone, the brother of a suspect suicide, was killed by cops but completely leaving out the part about him going Rambo with a semi-automatic weapon is pretty par for the course. There is a narrative and it must be fulfilled. Dozens of pairs of Jordans are at stake in the name of curing racism. Fuck cops and shit

Happy hour did end 20 minutes ago.

22 hours ago, jkates said:

And by getting further into the intersectionality abyss with their LGBTQ+ aims. If the org had stayed more true to its name, a simple and streamlined and possibly effective org could have emerged.

At least twenty transgender Americans have been murdered in 2020 so far. The vast majority of those people were not white, and the majority of those people were black. Were. Because they were murdered for being black and transgender, and black transgender women have probably the most dangerous living existence out of anyone in America. A black trans woman is seven times more likely to be murdered than anyone in the general population. 

Black trans lives matter. Black queer lives matter. 

Edited by trauma babe
clarity
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

So you would think that with all of the imagery of police brutality we have seen across this country, especially in the last month, that you wouldn’t see a cop have his baton out like what I just saw. We marched from Union Square up 6th Avenue to Central Park and back around to as close to Trump Tower as we could get. This cop was laughing the entire time and only put his baton away once he saw me taking pictures of him. This is the kind of thing black people in this country fear. A white-privilege cop mocking a rally for Black Lives with one of his weapons out and on display. 

E997123F-F044-46E0-9785-88DA2850CFB8.jpeg

Edited by UpperWestside

SIAP:

Yale re-named for slave trader. (in the year 1718)

Never knew that.  Should anything be done about it given the current climate of change?  At least tear down, or remove, the statue for goodness sakes?

new-england-connecticut-bronze-statue-of

Article from 2016:(behind paywall)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-college-formerly-known-as-yale-1470698364

Pub in Wales named after him:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8436535/Wetherspoon-pub-named-Elihu-Yale-faces-calls-change-links-slave-trade.html

NYT discusses Yale history in 2015(behind paywall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/12/nyregion/yale-in-debate-over-calhoun-college-grapples-with-ties-to-slavery.html

Does anything change for Yale?

23 hours ago, trauma babe said:

At least twenty transgender Americans have been murdered in 2020 so far. The vast majority of those people were not white, and the majority of those people were black. Were. Because they were murdered for being black and transgender, and black transgender women have probably the most dangerous living existence out of anyone in America. A black trans woman is seven times more likely to be murdered than anyone in the general population. 

Black trans lives matter. Black queer lives matter. 

I could not find information about the suspect/perpetrator with some of these murders.  But, with the cases that a person was identified and/or were charged, almost all were black.  Is there an extreme prejudice in the black community against being transgender?(serious question because I don't know)  Below is a link on information from 2019

https://www.hrc.org/resources/violence-against-the-transgender-community-in-2019

10 hours ago, leaf said:

I could not find information about the suspect/perpetrator with some of these murders.  But, with the cases that a person was identified and/or were charged, almost all were black.  Is there an extreme prejudice in the black community against being transgender?(serious question because I don't know)  Below is a link on information from 2019

https://www.hrc.org/resources/violence-against-the-transgender-community-in-2019

Homophobia (and by logical extension, transphobia) is prevalent in black communities. I couldn't tell you specific episode numbers or seasons, but I know that both Netflix's version of Queer Eye and RuPaul's Drag Race candidly discuss homophobia within minority communities on several occasions. Of course, homophobia and transphobia are prevalent in most all communities, and queer white people, despite experiencing plenty of prejudice against ourselves, are notoriously awful and unwelcoming towards our POC brothers, sisters, and siblings.  

What's ironic is that much of the popular "gay" vernacular comes from black and latinx queer people, many of whom were and are trans. Yes gawd.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1