Black Lives Matter

Hugo Stiglitz

If you need an example of a stereotypical look not fitting the person it is this guy. If you saw him alone or in some random small town you might not believe that he was out there marching yesterday and yelling at bystanders that “This is your fight too”. People from all walks of life are out here participating and continuing to provide support to the BLM Movement. I know B_T goes to protests and has seen the better side of humanity there as well. If any of you have pictures of your time at a protest, march or vigil post them. I think it benefits everyone here to see more of what is going on.

FD788960-2801-4679-87D1-FB9769A890A5.jpeg

78A8842B-3BD1-4034-BE29-99131FFDE5F9.jpeg

• Like 3

Went to a vigil that is hosted every night on the UES at Carl Schurz Park at 7pm. If you live in NYC and want to attend something positive and uplifting I would suggest going. Tonight it was a trans activist that is originally from Argentina. She was pretty straightforward and I am glad to be able to sit and listen to brutal honesty like what she shared tonight. 

I also thought it was cool that the people who go everyday found out this morning that all of the signs and murals put up in the park had been stolen overnight. They had people out there almost immediately putting up new signs and a group from Brooklyn brought in 200 signs so that they have more of this happens again. All of this is new that is in the picture. The sense of community there is pretty refreshing to see.

AD116073-5DDD-4B2C-ADDE-7F1A008032E1.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

All Black Lives Matter!!! Demand the same justice for this man as you did for George Floyd. Or be a hypocrite. It's what libtards do best.

Did you see the interview with Terry Crews, and Don Lemon? I'm glad that Terry is speaking up on this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

All Black Lives Matter!!! Demand the same justice for this man as you did for George Floyd. Or be a hypocrite. It's what libtards do best.

The justice system we have in place is already extremely eager to prosecute black men who kill black men. It's a crisis, for sure, but it's not one that our police and courts are shy about dealing with.

Now, if police and courts are ignoring this stuff then that's a key point to make. Are you actually asking for something here or just wanting everyone to leave the pigs alone?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The justice system we have in place is already extremely eager to prosecute black men who kill black men. It's a crisis, for sure, but it's not one that our police and courts are shy about dealing with.

Now, if police and courts are ignoring this stuff then that's a key point to make. Are you actually asking for something here or just wanting everyone to leave the pigs alone?

Why isn't black lives matter not talking about the 8 year old who was killed in Atlanta? Or the other 100s of men, women, and children who were killed as of late. They're so silent, its very defending. You can be mad at 2 things that kill, and persecute you at the same time.

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Why isn't black lives matter not talking about the 8 year old who was killed in Atlanta? Or the other 100s of men, women, and children who were killed as of late. They're so silent, its very defending. You can be mad at 2 things that kill, and persecute you at the same time.

Because the BLM movement started as a result of state violence against black Americans and that's their focus.

How would a protest against this girl's killing look? Who would the protesters even be talking to? Where would it happen? Of whom would we be demanding change?

Just march through black neighborhoods chanting, "STOP KILLING EACH OTHER!"?

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Because the BLM movement started as a result of state violence against black Americans and that's their focus.

How would a protest against this girl's killing look? Who would the protesters even be talking to? Where would it happen? Of whom would we be demanding change?

Just march through black neighborhoods chanting, "STOP KILLING EACH OTHER!"?

Why can't that also be on the list of many of others? Do you not think it's a problem?

15 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

#BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives.

From blm website. 

the girl in Atlanta was essentially killed by vigilantes after crossing a barrier with her mom. 

Edited by EuroHorn

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Why can't that also be on the list of many of others?

Is this English? What list are you talking about?

The #SayTheirName thing is about black people killed by the government. BLM, and their allies, are focused on government reform and the systemic problem of racism in state power.

Do you not think it's a problem?

Answer that question yourself with an honest heart.

1) Do you think I think the murder of this little girl is a problem?
2) Do you think black Americans in the BLM movement think the murder of this little girl is a problem?

If I am at a BLM protest to fight back against government oppression of black Americans, that's what I'm focusing on. I'm not talking about other things, as important and vital as they might be. You pretending to not understand that is very disingenuous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EuroHorn said:

the girl in Atlanta was essentially killed by vigilantes after crossing a barrier with her mom. 

So the murderer of this little girl was a vigilante motivated by white supremacy? Interesting if true, but I'd never heard that supposition before.

(Zimmerman was acquitted by the state and a white jury (8 white, 2 hispanic, 0 black, btw.)

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Actually the police and courts are very shy(Like A Virgin) when it comes dealing with these crimes. The homicide clearance rate is pitiful. The community and the cops share the blame in that phase. I'm asking that we look at the whole picture, not just the easy parts. I want every murderer to be accountable, cop and street pirates. It just seems to me the cops are the only ones any one cares about.

According to the FBI(2018) 62.3% of Murder/Manslaughter cases were cleared. So that means you have a potential 377 murderers running free, out of a 1000. Not great for communities already plagued with crime. 

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/clearances

And then you have a Chi-raq, where in 2016, they solved 26% of cases in 2016. If you were black/other minority, how would you feel about your chances in Chicago?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/10/u-s-homicide-clearance-rate-crisis/951681002/

This is my problem with progressives. Until they acknowledge the problem, they are just patronizing assholes. You can't fix the problem until you are ready to fix all the problems.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, elfenix said:

"Why don't you care about lung cancer!?!?" Brothahorn shouts outside of the heart society.

Aww man, fenix came with an argument..LOL

Why stop there? Let's talk about how breast cancer gets all the love, while ball cancer is ignored. Without ball cancer, HOW can we appreciate breasts?

48 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Actually the police and courts are very shy(Like A Virgin) when it comes dealing with these crimes. The homicide clearance rate is pitiful. The community and the cops share the blame in that phase. I'm asking that we look at the whole picture, not just the easy parts. I want every murderer to be accountable, cop and street pirates. It just seems to me the cops are the only ones any one cares about.

I don't doubt that the police/justice system ignores black victims, but again... that's the issue that BLM is trying to address: Equality under the law.

And then you have a Chi-raq, where in 2016, they solved 26% of cases in 2016. If you were black/other minority, how would you feel about your chances in Chicago?

Due to systemic racism in social, economic, and justice spheres of life: Poorly.

This is my problem with progressives. Until they acknowledge the problem, they are just patronizing assholes. You can't fix the problem until you are ready to fix all the problems.

So BLM isn't talking about all the problems, but they are patronizing assholes who want to fix all the problems. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Focus.

Sshh man, they only care when a handful of blacks are killed by the police.
Blacks can kill each other nonstop in those cities. Those black lives matter DIFFERENTLY.
Truth is they cant say anything cause you know those cities are run by liberals and mostly black politicians. You know the same system theyre protesting against. The same system thats been there for decades.
Blame whitey and racist trump. So what if hes only been there 3.5 years.
Joes gonna fix it now even though he hasnt fixed anything I guess in his 40 years in public office including as a sentaor and VP with a black president.

Joe isn't going to fix shit.

Liberal whites are only marginally less racist in the ways that it matters (economics, "justice" policies, housing) as their conservative brothers. Their conservative brothers are only significantly more racist in social contexts.

Get out of the fucking boxes, it's boring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

still waiting on one from you, unfortunately.

I gave you an out with sarcasm, but apparently your politics were too thick to get it.

The whole 'whataboutism' is false bs when reality is slapping you in the face with his dick.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-shootings-violence-four-homicides-20200707-eqzlpqg635h3lirtcicjp4pppu-story.html

Do these deaths not matter, because they were not lucky enough to get killed by a cop? 

Your "arguments" are whataboutisms, straw men and ad hominems. And the doozy that no problem should be addressed until all problems are. If you're just going to post nothing but fallacies I don't know why anyone should respond in any reasoned sense.

• Like 1

Here’s the simple story on why every “what about Chicago! What about this black on black murder” whataboutism isn’t just a logical fallacy, it’s a stupid one.

It compares apples and oranges. The crucial distinction: ordinary criminal is an ordinary criminal. And, society is pretty decent at going after and prosecuting those guys even caught. A cop committing violence, however, is not an ordinary criminal - he is an agent of the State, which means that he is my employee. I have a right and obligation to hold my employees accountable.

If I own a McDonalds and one of my employees is shitting in the shake machine, my failure to fire him is not excused with a “but there’s a guy at the Wendy’s across the street who shits in the shake machine AND the chili! Why don’t you go after him!” He’s not my employee. And, there’s already a mechanism to deal with him: Wendy’s management

When we criticize the police for their misconduct, we are acting as stakeholders in society by holding our own agents and employees accountable. Which is why all of us, regardless of race, need to be part of that effort - they work for all of us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

Your "arguments" are whataboutisms, straw men and ad hominems. And the doozy that no problem should be addressed until all problems are. If you're just going to post nothing but fallacies I don't know why anyone should respond in any reasoned sense.

Or they could address both issues at the same time, if they are truly interested in saving lives. If Black Lives are supposed to matter, then how do you ignore innocent children being killed? 

Talk about 'straw men' while using that lame argument. That's your fallacy.

16 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

NYC has gotten really aggressive enforcing their mask ordinance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As someone who lived in Chicago after graduating for close to 3 years, there are marches and vigils in the city all the time for black on black violence. BLM wants police accountable for killing black men, just as much as they want an end to black on black crimes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

As someone who lived in Chicago after graduating for close to 3 years, there are marches and vigils in the city all the time for black on black violence. BLM wants police accountable for killing black men, just as much as they want an end to black on black crimes. 

I think what Brothahorn contends/believes is that everyone who marches with BLM does not participate in the anti-black-on-black violence movement.

It seems like an absurd belief/contention, but what do I know?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I think what Brothahorn contends/believes is that everyone who marches with BLM does not participate in the anti-black-on-black violence movement.

I went to a march a couple of weeks back that was for black women who had been victims of domestic violence. It still had the basic tenets of a BLM Movement march, but it had a focus on domestic violence and for people there to understand the signs that a woman is being battered, but is too afraid to seek help. After we were done marching some of the women got up and told their stories and one in particular stuck with me. The details shared were so horrific that I won’t even recount them here. 

As I told Ricky [Williams] earlier, I was watching that sickening video of George Floyd getting murdered. I just wept," said the 67-year-old Jamail. "I was just thinking, how did we fall so low, to have a leaderless country, to have a president who supports white supremacists, this great-people-on-both-sides horses---? Truthfully, I don't give a flying f--- if you quote me. It's sickening. It's embarrassing that people try to justify it.

"There's no middle ground here," Jamail said. "It's not confusing. Our mothers, our churches, our synagogues, our mosques, our schools don't teach us this. It's a simple golden rule. The fact that George Floyd dies to make people think about what they see every day, and allow it to become normal. We're not in normal times. We're leaderless. You've got a president that glorifies it."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29457833/texas-longhorns-field-rename-caused-george-floyd-country-tenor-trump-says-joe-jamail-son

• Like 3

On 7/9/2020 at 2:20 PM, Brothahorn said:

Or they could address both issues at the same time, if they are truly interested in saving lives. If Black Lives are supposed to matter, then how do you ignore innocent children being killed? 

You are giving a master class on intentional obtuseness.  

• Like 3

On 7/9/2020 at 3:51 PM, bad_teammate said:

It’s absurd. 

On 7/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, Brothahorn said:

Or they could address both issues at the same time, if they are truly interested in saving lives. If Black Lives are supposed to matter, then how do you ignore innocent children being killed

They don't--this is just how you choose to see it.  Get out more, maybe attend a few vigils held within the black community or where a fatal crime was committed.  The black community shouldn't have to expect violence from people that are employed with their tax dollars and have sworn to protect them.  If you can't understand this, then maybe you're a racist.  African Americans have come a long ways from 3/5 a man and having to live around statues as testaments to their enslavement.  Why don't you make that jump now too.  

Edited by Mdhorn

Changes are coming for the Linux kernel. Torvalds admits that this will not change anything regarding racism but wants to move towards inclusivity language in the industry.

This was attempted 15 or so years ago back with hardware when the master/slave setup were more common but it never went anywhere.

The terms that will probably be hard to overcome are whitelist/blacklist. It's easier for people to conceptualize than allow/deny.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, workswithseed said:

On 7/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, workswithseed said:

Why can't that also be on the list of many of others? Do you not think it's a problem?

Why are you not talking about it? Why are you not marching about it? Why have you not organized protests against black people killing other black people? According to your incredibly terrible logic, this tells us that you don't care about black people dying at the hands of black citizens. Why do you not care about black people dying? Please explain.

Did you also know that the Sierra Club DOESN'T CARE ABOUT LYNCHINGS?!?!?!? I don't remember ever hearing about the Sierra Club organizing a protest or demonstration against lynching. I for one am horrified that a supposedly progressive organization does not care about white mobs hanging black people.

Oh, no, wait. It's just a terrible post with no intelligent underpinning. My mistake.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Why are you not talking about it? Why are you not marching about it? Why have you not organized protests against black people killing other black people? According to your incredibly terrible logic, this tells us that you don't care about black people dying at the hands of black citizens. Why do you not care about black people dying? Please explain.

Did you also know that the Sierra Club DOESN'T CARE ABOUT LYNCHINGS?!?!?!? I can find no evidence anywhere that the Sierra Club has ever organized a protest or demonstration against lynching. I for one am horrified that a supposedly progressive organization does not care about white mobs hanging black people.

Oh, no, wait. It's just a terrible post with no intelligent underpinning. My mistake.

The Sierra Club? I've actually been thinking of something like All Black Lives Matter protest, or something like that in my head, but haven't discussed it with really anyone. I should talk to the Church of Christ pastor see what he thinks. 

Edited by workswithseed

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

The Sierra Club?

Yes, the Sierra Club? What don't you understand?

You made a terrible post thinking you were taking an organization to task for not getting involved in a separate issue so I gave you an example of how stupid the logic was. I've got millions more if you need them. Here's one:

March for Life DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CHILD ABUSE AND THE HORRIFIC MURDERS OF CHILDREN THAT TAKE PLACE EVERY YEAR! Not once have they organized a march or protest to bring attention to the fact that millions of children are victims of child abuse every year and thousands of them die. How can they claim to care about children when they don't speak up about these issues?!?!?

Is that a bit more clear?

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Changes are coming for the Linux kernel. Torvalds admits that this will not change anything regarding racism but wants to move towards inclusivity language in the industry.

This was attempted 15 or so years ago back with hardware when the master/slave setup were more common but it never went anywhere.

The terms that will probably be hard to overcome are whitelist/blacklist. It's easier for people to conceptualize than allow/deny.

allowlist.  denylist. 

seems easy enough to me. 

SATA, because there was only one drive per channel, made master/slave redundant. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, the Sierra Club? What don't you understand?

You made a terrible post thinking you were taking an organization to task for not getting involved in a separate issue so I gave you an example of how stupid the logic was. I've got millions more if you need them. Here's one:

March for Life DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CHILD ABUSE AND THE HORRIFIC MURDERS OF CHILDREN THAT TAKE PLACE EVERY YEAR! Not once have they organized a march or protest to bring attention to the fact that millions of children are victims of child abuse every year and thousands of them die. How can they claim to care about children when they don't speak up about these issues?!?!?

Is that a bit more clear?

Thanks for not explaining who the hell the Sierra Club is. Maybe I should have asked who they were. 

I would like to say there's probably a crossover between March for Life and those orgs, but is there one for something on the nature of black on black violence? If there isn't one, there should be since this ruins many black family's lives. A one year old was killed in New York City just recently, is that okay? Are you mad that I think someone should talk about this? Sorry that you're mad at me for saying a group should advocate for something but isn't. 

12 minutes ago, elfenix said:

allowlist.  denylist. 

seems easy enough to me. 

SATA, because there was only one drive per channel, made master/slave redundant. 

You would think that allow/deny would be simple enough to understand but I've seen a lot of people fuck up a deny-all statement then the lightbulb goes off when you use the term blacklist. I was a consultant so I interacted with a lot of knuckleheads.

Right, the old IDE jumper settings went the way of the dodo.

Thanks for not explaining who the hell the Sierra Club is. Maybe I should have asked who they were. 
I would like to say there's probably a crossover between March for Life and those orgs, but is there one for something on the nature of black on black violence? If there isn't one, there should be since this ruins many black family's lives. A one year old was killed in New York City just recently, is that okay? Are you mad that I think someone should talk about this? Sorry that you're mad at me for saying a group should advocate for something but isn't. 
I am still trying to figure out how you are drawing a string from criminal kills a black person and gets convicted to a person we pay to protect and serve killing someone and walking away scot free. Clarification?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk