Black Lives Matter

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

I must have missed all the list of things you are doing to hold the state accountable. Please direct me to that post.

Or take a look in the mirror before you start talking about deflection

It starts with holding meaningful dialogue with detractors like you. What is it you are doing again, because you aren't even capable of that right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Some of us have 100 employees with a few former felons they employee and coach on a daily basis about how to get where they are. Some of us give them a real honest to God Black Man, who came from where they came from, but now has everything they want, and gained it honestly to look up to. Remind us all what you are doing again?

Beside mentoring/tutoring? Besides working with felons to stay out of jail, finding housing and jobs? Besides working in halfway houses for drug users to get them clean and back to normal? Besides buying college books for kids I'm not related to, when their own families were tapped out? Besides helping raise my older brother's kids, so they don't end up in the same situation he is in? And that's just formal shit, I've done in my time.

I've had multiple conversations with young men on the steps of a dope house, trying to make them understand that the system is going to chew their ass up. Even helped bail a few out of jail.

Just because I don't kiss democratic ass doesn't mean I don't do my part for my community/family. That's the only way it is going to get better. 

Being conservative doesn't mean I don't understand the struggle. I may even understand it better than you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Brothahorn said:

Beside mentoring/tutoring? Besides working with felons to stay out of jail, finding housing and jobs? Besides working in halfway houses for drug users to get them clean and back to normal? Besides buying college books for kids I'm not related to, when their own families were tapped out? Besides helping raise my older brother's kids, so they don't end up in the same situation he is in? And that's just formal shit, I've done in my time.

I've had multiple conversations with young men on the steps of a dope house, trying to make them understand that the system is going to chew their ass up. Even helped bail a few out of jail.

Just because I don't kiss democratic ass doesn't mean I don't do my part for my community/family. That's the only way it is going to get better. 

Being conservative doesn't mean I don't understand the struggle. I may even understand it better than you.

Then maybe you shouldn’t criticize others without knowing their story. You know the thing you accuse others of doing constantly 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Then maybe you shouldn’t criticize others without knowing their story. You know the thing you accuse others of doing constantly 

You haven’t done what this humble man, who would never write out a lengthy post bragging about he has done, is doing. If you aren’t doing what he is doing then you’re a punk who hates black people. 

Edited by UpperWestside

32 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It starts with holding meaningful dialogue with detractors like you. What is it you are doing again, because you aren't even capable of that right now.

Can't have meaningful dialogue with people who are politically compromised. Party/politics will always come first.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

You haven’t done what this humble man, who would never write out a lengthy post bragging about he has done, is doing. If you aren’t doing what he is doing then you’re a punk who hates black people. 

little no-life weasely loser who amounts to nothing.
shut the fuck up and step aside you little pissant

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
little no-life weasely loser who amounts to nothing.
shut the fuck up and step aside you little pissant

And there it is. Seriously please get some professional help before you harm someone in real life. It isn’t funny watching you break down repeatedly here and resort to this. If it’s a substance causing you issues there’s folks here that can help or find a person who can. Plenty of people here can point you in the direction of the help you desperately need to manage that anger if you would only set aside your ego and go for it. Going through life like you are is not a fun way to live.

Edited by UpperWestside

18 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Can't have meaningful dialogue with people who are politically compromised. Party/politics will always come first.

Have I declared myself joined at the hip with a political party? No I have not. The only one doing that is you.

44 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

If you understood it better than me then you would be where I am at. Fiscally conservative but socially progressive. You would understand that targeting Black people in traffic stops, even though studies have shown that whites produce just as many hits, is systemic. You would know about Gang Injunctions. Gang enhancements. You would understand why the law is softer on opioids than it was on crack. YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES, BUT A SMALL MISTAKE SHOULD NOT BE THE END OF YOUR LIFE AT 21. You would know what it feels like to have a knee in your back, and be able to sympathize with how someone can have a physical reaction to it and then be charged with resisting. You would understand that a lot of police try to bait you into it so they can do that to you. But you do  not understand it better than me, which is why you are in here spouting the same thing other people who do not understand it spout on a daily basis.

I would love to be there when you try to take your hard line approach with the city kids in your sweater vest. "Now kids, if you just wear this sweater and these grey slacks the police will leave you alone". I am sure you are well respected by the inner city kids. You seem to be really in touch with them. I am sure after the 8th time they have been cuffed and searched because they fit the description, your little talk about "just showing the officer respect" is gonna really resonate well. You do not understand social contracts at all.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Oh so asking for or demanding that people pay attention to kids/innocent blacks being killed is a distraction to you? Exactly why I said 90% of the posters in this thread are hear for politics. Are you not built to handle multiple issues at the same time? 

I've heard some chickenshit liberalism in my time but you reached a new mile stone. Thank you for living down to my expectations.

I'm not a liberal and your posts continue to make no sense. 

I support attention being paid to ending black-on-black murder. In fact, when that is the subject at hand I have never attempted to sidetrack the conversation. 

Again, and I'm sorry that this is clearly too difficult a concept for you to grasp, only one of us attempts to distract from one issue by bringing up another.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I mean seriously, what is wrong with some of you people negging posters describing what they actually do to help their communities? I mean I understand that you disagree politically, but your social media game is nonsense. 

Can't speak for anyone else but I didn't apply a single reaction to any of his posts until he negged one of mine. Be a baby, get treated like one. 

And attempting to paint his performance on this thread as simply talking about what he's done in the community is laughably silly.

Edited by Huckleberry

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

If you understood it better than me then you would be where I am at. Fiscally conservative but socially progressive. You would understand that targeting Black people in traffic stops, even though studies have shown that whites produce just as many hits, is systemic. You would know about Gang Injunctions. Gang enhancements. You would understand why the law is softer on opioids than it was on crack. YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES, BUT A SMALL MISTAKE SHOULD NOT BE THE END OF YOUR LIFE AT 21. You would know what it feels like to have a knee in your back, and be able to sympathize with how someone can have a physical reaction to it and then be charged with resisting. You would understand that a lot of police try to bait you into it so they can do that to you. But you do  not understand it better than me, which is why you are in here spouting the same thing other people who do not understand it spout on a daily basis.

I would love to be there when you try to take your hard line approach with the city kids in your sweater vest. "Now kids, if you just wear this sweater and these grey slacks the police will leave you alone". I am sure you are well respected by the inner city kids. You seem to be really in touch with them. I am sure after the 8th time they have been cuffed and searched because they fit the description, your little talk about "just showing the officer respect" is gonna really resonate well. You do not understand social contracts at all.

Can you expand on the bolded part a bit more? Fiscally conservative yet socially progressive doesnt make much sense to me. You're essentially saying you acknowledge and understand the problems, but don't want to pay anything to rectify any of them. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Can't speak for anyone else but I didn't apply a single reaction to any of his posts until he negged one of mine. Be a baby, get treated like one. 

And attempting to paint his performance on this thread as simply taking about what he's done in the community is laughably silly.

I was speaking to one post in particular. Not sure why we are negging people generally in the CR to be honest, but can understand if it is a reaction to the negging of others.  Generally speaking, CR neggers are the worst. 

19 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i am actually worried about this guy. this shit screams "i am in a crisis right now"

Only crisis I have is having to drink Evan Williams while watching the Texans. Because I have cheap friends.

Nice deflection, though. Gotta be something wrong, if I don't go with the approved message. So typical.

16 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

And there it is. Seriously please get some professional help before you harm someone in real life. It isn’t funny watching you break down repeatedly here and resort to this. If it’s a substance causing you issues there’s folks here that can help or find a person who can. Plenty of people here can point you in the direction of the help you desperately need to manage that anger if you would only set aside your ego and go for it. Going through life like you are is not a fun way to live.

Son, 

In case you haven't noticed I'm not interacting with you. Yet, you keeping quoting me, quoting other posters regarding me. If anyone here has a problem, it is you. That's some pathetic internet stalking. Do I need to file a TRO on you?

And trust me I'm much happier than you will ever be. How do I know this? Because I'm not the pathetic loser who is trying to get attention from me on the internet.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I mean seriously, what is wrong with some of you people negging posters describing what they actually do to help their communities? I mean I understand that you disagree politically, but your social media game is nonsense. 

No need. The idea of rep is more important to them than me.

He asked, I answered. The negs just prove my point about the politics. 

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Only crisis I have is having to drink Evan Williams while watching the Texans. Because I have cheap friends.

Nice deflection, though. Gotta be something wrong, if I don't go with the approved message. So typical.

Son, 

In case you haven't noticed I'm not interacting with you. Yet, you keeping quoting me, quoting other posters regarding me. If anyone here has a problem, it is you. That's some pathetic internet stalking. Do I need to file a TRO on you?

And trust me I'm much happier than you will ever be. How do I know this? Because I'm not the pathetic loser who is trying to get attention from me on the internet.

I thought you were from the Dallas area. If not Dallas then the northern part of East Texas. 

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Can you expand on the bolded part a bit more? Fiscally conservative yet socially progressive doesnt make much sense to me. You're essentially saying you acknowledge and understand the problems, but don't want to pay anything to rectify any of them. 

No, I invest my money plenty by most people's standards. However, after living in California what I thought was fiscally liberal was indeed nowhere near that. In fact, one would have to believe in some European model to be considered as such as far as I am concerned.

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

This is a lovely demonstration of your lack of self awareness and constant projection onto others. You negged me first, so please explain how rep is more important to others than to you? If, as you now claim, negs just prove the point that it's all about politics, that means between the two of us you're the one who only cares about the politics. After all, I was just discussing things with you and you resorted to negging me.

Or are you just going to continue being a hypocrite and hold other people to a standard to which you don't hold yourself?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

giphy.gif

But thank god football is on, even if it is the choke artist texans. 

I thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster every day for Bill O’Brien. We’re so lucky to have the most hilariously shitty coach and the most hilariously shitty GM all in one person.

• Haha 1

Just now, Thatguy said:

No, I invest my money plenty by most people's standards. However, after living in California what I thought was fiscally liberal was indeed nowhere near that. In fact, one would have to believe in some European model to be considered as such as far as I am concerned.

California's quagmire of public financing has a lot to do with how they mismanaged property tax changes back in the late 70s/early 80s when housing prices first exploded. They've been chasing their tails ever since. 

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Son, 

You need some help man. I do not like your constant attacks on people in this thread and most of them are filled with angry profanity-laced rants. You show zero restraint and your posts get progressively angrier consistently as the evening or night goes on. You need help. Many of us here needed help at some point and got it. You are displaying an anger that could eventually cause harm to people who interact with you in real life. Your pride is what is standing in the way of you receiving help. Get it and find a better way to live life like many posters here have done in their own lives. Or keep going down the path you are on that will not end well. I find it sad, whether I agree with someone or not, when they will be obstinate and steadfastly refuse help. Get evaluated or do an intake session by someone and go from there. I’ll never meet you, but you’re still a human being and I hope everyone, you included, that has personal demons is able to overcome them.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster every day for Bill O’Brien. We’re so lucky to have the most hilariously shitty coach and the most hilariously shitty GM all in one person.

I have watched more of the NFL tonight than all of last season. No idea how you watch an O’Brien coached team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well this is quite the thread, but are there any opinions on the social justice options put out there by the NFL tonight?  I was very happy with Collinsworth putting out his opinion out of the gate as an announcer and it’s been really good to see them bring the player’s opinions out as well. 

I could have put this in the football forum, but, you know. 

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah no. I do understand it better, which is why I don't subscribe to voting for the politicians/politics that have helped fuck up so many people's lives. And yet people like you keep thinking that this time it will be different. 

As someone who has benefited from a 2nd chance, you are full of shit. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

Not interested in what you think you know, but you're far from a snow flake on this matter.

That's all you got? I'm good with whoever, wherever. 

Your sweater vest collection is probably bigger than mine. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well this is quite the thread, but are there any opinions on the social justice options put out there by the NFL tonight?  I was very happy with Collinsworth putting out his opinion out of the gate as an announcer and it’s been really good to see them bring the player’s opinions out as well. 

I could have put this in the football forum, but, you know. 

It’s progress from what the NFL usually is. Jerry Jones is probably biting his tongue on what he wants to actually say about all of this. To me it still rings pretty hollow since Kaepernick still has no NFL job and a guy like Chad Henne does. Kap isn’t a Hall of Famer, but Good Lord some of the guys who have jobs over him is ridiculous. He is still being froze out by the NFL. Perhaps that leaves me jaded to the NFL’s social justice message, but that’s just how I feel about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

His problem has always been that he views Blacks who are Dem as the ONLY reason they are Dem is because they’re either doing what they are told or they are towing a company line.   This has been his logic on this board for years—he plays to and believes that any Black person who is a Dem is a robot that can’t think for themselves and that he is above other Black people because he’s conservative which means he “can think for himself.”

He’s fallen into this trap and he doesn’t grasp that it lacks logic and is just overall stupid and dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is a lovely demonstration of your lack of self awareness and constant projection onto others. You negged me first, so please explain how rep is more important to others than to you? If, as you now claim, negs just prove the point that it's all about politics, that means between the two of us you're the one who only cares about the politics. After all, I was just discussing things with you and you resorted to negging me.

Or are you just going to continue being a hypocrite and hold other people to a standard to which you don't hold yourself?

Huck, 

There was a day earlier this month were you negged me on multiple posts. 

I negged ONE of yours today. For telling a bald face life. You really don't understand the difference, do you?

Can't speak for anyone else but I didn't apply a single reaction to any of his posts until he negged one of mine. Be a baby, get treated like one

And attempting to paint his performance on this thread as simply talking about what he's done in the community is laughably silly.

From the guy who cries, you did it first. Only because he forget how big of a chickenshit he is.

Edited by Brothahorn

29 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I thought you were from the Dallas area. If not Dallas then the northern part of East Texas. 

Moved to Irving after graduation(96). Stayed in PG for a year, then Duncanville, Euless, Arlington. Moved back to Houston in 04. Went to HS in East Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Moved to Irving after graduation(96). Stayed in PG for a year, then Duncanville, Euless, Arlington. Moved back to Houston in 04. Went to HS in East Texas.

Oh Ok, I guess that I can't claim that you're a trolling contrarian in everything you do, just your politics 😉

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

His problem has always been that he views Blacks who are Dem as the ONLY reason they are Dem is because they’re either doing what they are told or they are towing a company line.   This has been his logic on this board for years—he plays to and believes that any Black person who is a Dem is a robot that can’t think for themselves and that he is above other Black people because he’s conservative which means he “can think for himself.”

He’s fallen into this trap and he doesn’t grasp that it lacks logic and is just overall stupid and dumb. 

Or that black dems don't take advantage of their voting power. And just keep voting for the same politics/politicians that helped get us to this point. Can't/won't demand better, because we gotta hold the line. 

If you're happy with broken promises and being patronized, you do you.

22 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Oh Ok, I guess that I can't claim that you're a trolling contrarian in everything you do, just your politics 😉

Can't lie part of me does find it funny how pressed people get about my politics. Like it somehow will change their lives. 

Edited by Brothahorn

24 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Or that black dems don't take advantage of their voting power. And just keep voting for the same politics/politicians that helped get us to this point. Can't/won't demand better, because we gotta hold the line. 

Right, because voting for the most divisive President we've ever seen in our lifetime is the better option. Or voting for Reagan's war on drugs, that put my uncle who had a drug addiction away for almost 15 years. Meanwhile, people like yourself and Candace Owens become the bullhorn for every racist bastard from here to South Carolina. It's not about voting the same, as I have voted Repub before.

Edited by Thatguy

30 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Also, if you haven't looked outside lately.....we are demanding better. But people like you keep bringing up Chicago. And then white people keep sending me memes of people like you bringing up Chicago.

54 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

This is a fair critique, however I don't see how you rationally progress from this criticism to full throated support for people who are unequivocal about their hate for you, or at minimum show no hesitation about using others' hate for you to their advantage. Nothing has changed about the republican party in the 30+ years I've been aware of political parties. Sure, they're a little less coy now about their aversion to black folks than before, but fundamentally they've been the same at least since Reagan, if not Nixon.

Beyond that, the way you discuss things seems more reactionary than being guided by any underlining set of principals. Maybe it's just the way banter is conducted on this forum that precludes you from giving a nuanced summation of your thoughts, but I was really disappointed in your conservative thread. From the start it proved to be nothing but a place to hoist up your latest tweets or memes of grievance and conspiracy. In this internet derived era of "free thinking" black conservativism (ie memes and grifters hawking videos of their free thinking) I've yet to see any of yall articulate an affirmative argument for conservatism. No, your arguments FOR conservatism tend to be totally embalmed with rhetoric about how bad the Democratic plantation is and the need to free ourselves from these imaginary chains, but to what purpose? That question is never answered, other than the circular logic of letting go of this plantation or jail (the imagery is a bit restricted) that the dems have over us. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Right, because voting for the most divisive President we've ever seen in our lifetime is the better option. Or voting for Reagan's war on drugs, that put my uncle who had a drug addiction away for almost 15 years. Meanwhile, people like yourself and Candace Owens become the bullhorn for every racist bastard from here to South Carolina. It's not about voting the same, as I have voted Repub before.

I'm not telling you to vote for Trump. I'm saying that settling for someone like Biden, is not taking advantage of your voting power. All those options. And a guy who's own VP called him out, is what you end up with. That's crazy, but compromised.

And since you know about Reagan's War on Drugs, then I'm sure you are aware of the impact the '94 crime bill had us. Yet, guess who helped get him over the top and will give him their loyalty? You worried about Candace Owens and some asshole in South Carolina, who has no power over your life. I'm worried about people like you who keep letting assholes like Biden off the hook. What is he going to do different to address the problems that he hasn't been doing since '73?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I'm not telling you to vote for Trump. I'm saying that settling for someone like Biden, is not taking advantage of your voting power. All those options. And a guy who's own VP called him out, is what you end up with. That's crazy, but compromised.

And since you know about Reagan's War on Drugs, then I'm sure you are aware of the impact the '94 crime bill had us. Yet, guess who helped get him over the top and will give him their loyalty? You worried about Candace Owens and some asshole in South Carolina, who has no power over your life. I'm worried about people like you who keep letting assholes like Biden off the hook. What is he going to do different to address the problems that he hasn't been doing since '73?

This shit ain't Rocket science. Fear is what gave Biden the nomination. Shit, for a time it looked like a fucking republican in Bloomberg was going to come to the forefront due to that very same impulse. Compromise is the word you used and Biden's nomination was just that, to get Trump da fuck out of dodge. It's simple as that. You can pretend that you wouldn't offer up some other negation if someone else were nominated, but since you posed the question about Biden, that's the reason he's the nominee. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is a fair critique, however I don't see how you rationally progress from this criticism to full throated support for people who are unequivocal about their hate for you, or at minimum show no hesitation about using others' hate for you to their advantage. Nothing has changed about the republican party in the 30+ years I've been aware of political parties. Sure, they're a little less coy now about their aversion to black folks than before, but fundamentally they've been the same at least since Reagan, if not Nixon.

Beyond that, the way you discuss things seems more reactionary than being guided by any underlining set of principals. Maybe it's just the way banter is conducted on this forum that precludes you from giving a nuanced summation of your thoughts, but I was really disappointed in your conservative thread. From the start it proved to be nothing but a place to hoist up your latest tweets or memes of grievance and conspiracy. In this internet derived era of "free thinking" black conservativism (ie memes and grifters hawking videos of their free thinking) I've yet to see any of yall articulate an affirmative argument for conservatism. No, your arguments FOR conservatism tend to be totally embalmed with rhetoric about how bad the Democratic plantation is and the need to free ourselves from these imaginary chains, but to what purpose? That question is never answered, other than the circular logic of letting go of this plantation or jail (the imagery is a bit restricted) that the dems have over us. 

Fair points.

I think the disconnect is when folks assume that I am telling them to vote for Trump or some republican. Just because I'm not hollering about evil Trump doesn't mean I'm voting for him. Or saying that you should. I have plenty of issues with the GOP and bible thumpers. I just think that when the usual suspects keep getting elected and they don't make any progress in the black communities, they need to be called out. Don't fall for the scare tactics/misdirection. In 10 terms, when all they have done is open a couple of community centers while hooking up their friends and family, it's time for change. Whether that's a DEM or GOP, there is no sense in compromising. Look at how the preachers sell out their congregations. And how the 'community leaders' keep the gates closed to only a select few.

I cast my first vote in '90. All democrat except for Ann Richards. And have supported various dems over the years. So I'm not some blind loyalist. I even supported John Wiley for a minute.

And, I don't tolerate racists in any fashion. Doesn't matter if they call me a nigger to my face or sic the cops on me for being the the wrong place. You still a racist in my book. 

Yeah, I did fail on the conservative thread. Started it right before I went on vacation and didn't follow up. The intent wasn't for it to be a tweet fest. I had stuff from Malcolm, Du Bois and Washington to post, just haven't gotten around to it.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This shit ain't Rocket science. Fear is what gave Biden the nomination. Shit, for a time it looked like a fucking republican in Bloomberg was going to come to the forefront due to that very same impulse. Compromise is the word you used and Biden's nomination was just that, to get Trump da fuck out of dodge. It's simple as that. You can pretend that you wouldn't offer up some other negation if someone else were nominated, but since you posed the question about Biden, that's the reason he's the nominee. 

Besides Bloomberg, any of the other candidates could have made sense in moving forward. Not just going with the same old, same old. But gotta hold that line!

In four years, I'll be back to ask you how that compromise is working out.

This is the intractable cultural heritage that we're up against.

"The post–Civil War years were a moment of great peril for the emancipated, but also great promise. A stubborn coterie of Republican Radicals—longtime abolitionists and their allies—were not content to have simply saved the Union. They wanted to transform it: to make a nation where “all men are created equal” did not just mean white men.

But the country was exhausted by the ravages of war. The last thing most white Americans wanted was to be dragged through a bitter conflict over expanding the boundaries of American citizenship. They wanted to rebuild the country and get back to business. John Wilkes Booth had been moved to assassinate Abraham Lincoln not by the Confederate collapse, but by the president’s openness to extending the franchise to educated Black men and those who had fought for the Union, an affront Booth described as “nigger citizenship.”

Lincoln’s successor, Andrew Johnson, viewed the Radical Republican project as an insult to the white men to whom the United States truly belonged. A Tennessee Democrat and self-styled champion of the white working class, the president believed that “Negroes have shown less capacity for government than any other race of people,” and that allowing the formerly enslaved to vote would eventually lead to “such a tyranny as this continent has never yet witnessed.” Encouraged by Johnson’s words and actions, southern elites worked to reduce the emancipated to conditions that resembled slavery in all but name.

Throughout the South, when freedmen signed contracts with their former masters, those contracts were broken; if they tried to seek work elsewhere, they were hunted down; if they reported their concerns to local authorities, they were told that the testimony of Black people held no weight in court. When they tried to purchase land, they were denied; when they tried to borrow capital to establish businesses, they were rejected; when they demanded decent wages, they were met with violence.

In the midst of these terrors and denials, the emancipated organized as laborers, protesters, and voters, forming the Union Leagues and other Republican clubs that would become the basis of their political power. Southern whites insisted that the freedmen were unfit for the ballot, even as they witnessed their sophistication in protest and organization. In fact, what the former slave masters feared was not that Black people were incapable of self-government, but the world the emancipated might create.

From 1868 to 1871, Black people in the South faced a “wave of counter-revolutionary terror,” the historian Eric Foner has written, one that “lacks a counterpart either in the American experience or in that of the other Western Hemisphere societies that abolished slavery in the nineteenth century.” Texas courts, according to Foner, “indicted some 500 white men for the murder of blacks in 1865 and 1866, but not one was convicted.” He cites one northern observer who commented, “Murder is considered one of their inalienable state rights.”

The system that emerged across the South was so racist and authoritarian that one Freedmen’s Bureau agent wrote that the emancipated “would be just as well off with no law at all or no Government.” Indeed, the police were often at the forefront of the violence. In 1866, in New Orleans, police joined an attack on Republicans organizing to amend the state constitution; dozens of the mostly Black delegates were killed. General Philip Sheridan wrote in a letter to Ulysses S. Grant that the incident “was an absolute massacre by the police … perpetrated without the shadow of a necessity.” The same year, in Memphis, white police officers started a fight with several Black Union veterans, then used the conflict as a justification to begin firing at Black people—civilians and soldiers alike—all over the city. The killing went on for days.

These stories began to reach the North in bureaucratic dispatches like Ruby’s, in newspaper accounts, and in testimony to the congressional committee on Reconstruction. Northerners heard about Lucy Grimes of Texas, whose former owner demanded that she beat her own son, then had Grimes beaten to death when she refused. Her killers went unpunished because the court would not hear “negro testimony.” Northerners also heard about Madison Newby, a former Union scout from Virginia driven by “rebel people” from land he had purchased, who testified that former slave masters were “taking the colored people and tying them up by the thumbs if they do not agree to work for six dollars a month.” And they heard about Glasgow William, a Union veteran in Kentucky who was lynched in front of his wife by the Ku Klux Klan for declaring his intent to vote for “his old commander.” (Newspapers sympathetic to the white South dismissed such stories; one called the KKK the “phantom of diseased imaginations.”)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/10/the-next-reconstruction/615475/

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Of course you're not telling us to vote for Trump.  Every conservative on this site is too much of a pussy to admit to voting for Trump and too much of a pussy to try to persuade others to do the same.  

There are two people in this country with a greater than zero percent chance of being president in 2021:  Donald Trump and Joe Biden. Those are your only choices.  You're either for one or the other.  Joe Biden wasn't my first, second, third, fourth, or fifth choice a year ago.  He's the only choice today because the only other option is Donald Trump.  

• Hook 'Em 2