Texas Mountain Trail

RollLeft

So i finally got to experience this trail in its entirety.  It is over 250 miles of Texas mountain views.   There are mountain ranges on both sides of you for most of the drive and never a time without a mountain range on either side.   This time I traveled North to South starting at the Guadalupe Mountains on Hwy 62.  If you've never seen El Capitan you are missing out.  Coming from NM driving down that canyon is a bold and great "Welcome to Texas" view.  Just impressive.  You then take Hwy 54 to Van Horn.  I had low expectations and thought the Texas mountains would fade, even end.  They never did.   Beautiful mountains all the way to Van Horn.  Then you cross I-10 and head to Marfa.   Again mountains all the way to the Big Bend.  At some points during the Marfa drive they are bit further from the Hwy but no less impressive and certainly no less beautiful.  One should note that the average width of the rest of the states in the U.S. is 285 miles.  I mention that only to compare how big Texas is.  Our Mountain trail is as long as most states are wide.  I grew up thinking we have a few peaks here and there but my view has been adjusted.  If you don't continue to Big Bend from Marfa you can continue to clearly see Moutains all the way down to Sanderson.  The Texas Mountain Trail is worthy of it's title.     

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 5