Florida Gators Putting an End to the 'Gator Bait' Cheer/Band Performance

Vic Mackey

Florida putting end to 'Gator Bait' cheer, band performance due to racist history of term

The University of Florida will no longer allow its "Gator Bait" cheer at sporting events because of "historic racist imagery associated with the phrase," school president Kent Fuchs announced Thursday.

As part of a university-wide review to help the school take steps against racism, Fuchs highlighted the cheer as an action that will be taken immediately.

"While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our 'Gator Bait' cheer at UF sporting events, there is horrific historic racist imagery associated with the phrase," Fuchs said. "Accordingly, University Athletics and the Gator Band will discontinue the use of the cheer."

When the band strikes up the familiar tune at sporting events, fans respond with a chomping motion with their arms and shout "Gator Bait!"

African American babies were used as alligator bait, according to the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia at Ferris State University, citing newspaper articles and imagery from the late 1800s and early 20th century. The term "alligator bait" was also used as a racial slur against African Americans.

Lawrence Wright, who popularized the phrase, "If you ain't a Gator, ya Gator bait, baby," after saying it following a win over Florida State in 1995, told The Gainesville Sun he was upset with the decision to remove the cheer and wants to talk to Fuchs.

"I'm not going for it," the former safety told the Sun. "I created something for us. It's a college football thing. It's not a racist thing, It's about us, the Gator Nation. And I'm black. What about our history as the Gator Nation? We took a program from the top five to No. 1 in the country. I think I've done enough, put in the sweat and tears, to get to offer my opinion about something like this."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29329250/university-florida-putting-end-gator-bait-cheer-band-performance-due-racist-history?linkId=91185717&fbclid=IwAR2pGkOnMgxa6jxqsChbkcy7f7ZlAyVZ3gWJ5F_5nKgmS8UbNaRgh8PS6xU

The gator bait chant is second on the list of things Gators love him for.  

2:10 mark.  

Hes a Gator great, no doubt, but hes on the wrong side of this argument.  Hes taking the change personally, which is understandable, but the racial connection to the chant is undeniable.  He was ignorant of that connection, as were most of us until recently.  That ignorance doesn't change the reality why that chant has to go.  

• Like 2

The gator bait chant is second on the list of things Gators love him for.  

2:10 mark.  
Hes a Gator great, no doubt, but hes on the wrong side of this argument.  Hes taking the change personally, which is understandable, but the racial connection to the chant is undeniable.  He was ignorant of that connection, as were most of us until recently.  That ignorance doesn't change the reality why that chant has to go.  

Looks like that hit was clean by today’s standards. Impressivr.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Holy shit! SEC is taking on the most sacred of cows.

That's a matter for the people of Mississippi.  And my understanding is that while it didn't become an official flag until the 1890s, it was an unofficial flag before the Civil War, unlike Georgia's old flag which was of 1950s origin.

6 minutes ago, bullet said:

That's a matter for the people of Mississippi.  And my understanding is that while it didn't become an official flag until the 1890s, it was an unofficial flag before the Civil War, unlike Georgia's old flag which was of 1950s origin.

The Army of Northern Virginia battle flag was only created after confusion between the US and CSA flags at Manassas, so that's literally impossible. I think you're conflating it with the Magnolia flag with a tree on it.

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

The Army of Northern Virginia battle flag was only created after confusion between the US and CSA flags at Manassas, so that's literally impossible. I think you're conflating it with the Magnolia flag with a tree on it.

Take this shit to the Civil War board !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There's a Civil War board???

No, I"ve read the current state flag was based on a design popular in the 1840s.  The battle flag may have been influenced by Mississippi's old unofficial flag.

There's actually been a good bit of bipartisan support in MS to change the flag. Especially over the past 5 years. The R Speaker of the House has pushed for it for year, so has the Lt Gov. The past two governors have been weak on it, saying it would require a statewide vote, yet stopping short of backing the change. Its already not flown on any of the college campuses. The University of Mississippi hasn't flown the Mississippi state flag since 2015. That's significant.

Its the redneck counties that could kill it. The had a vote in 2001 for the flag, and the existing flag won at almost a 2-1 margin. That said, there's a lot of reason to think it would be different now. It has a lot of white and republican support. You have a lot of pressure from inside and outside organizations (like OM or the SEC for starters). The alternative flag was pretty lame in 2001 and people didn't like it. The alternative now, the Stennis Flag, is popular in Mississippi. Heck you can get it on a license tag. Also, for some reason, the black vote didn't show up at all in the 2001 vote, as turnout was down a good bit in black majority counties compared to other previous elections. I think most were pretty apathetic to changing it, with the only folks really caring about the vote being the supporters of the old flag.

Obviously a lot of that would be different in 2020.

From what I understand, Ole Miss and MSU were not shocked by Sanky's announcement, and likely worked with him beforehand and encouraged it.

With the NCAA now piling on, as lame as it sounds, hopefully this gives lawmakers in redneck districts the cover they need to vote the right way.

15 hours ago, Bartles said:

Big statement, though I'm not sure how often those two schools host SEC champs. Would have to be non-revenue like golf or track

I may be wrong, but I think this will prohibit Ole Miss, MSU and USM from hosting baseball Regionals and Super Regionals.  And that's a big deal to those school.

Back to Florida, am I reading it correctly that UF fans really started doing the gator bait thing in the mid 1990s?

Lawrence Wright, who popularized the phrase, "If you ain't a Gator, ya Gator bait, baby," after saying it following a win over Florida State in 1995, told The Gainesville Sun he was upset with the decision to remove the cheer and wants to talk to Fuchs.

"I'm not going for it," the former safety told the Sun. "I created something for us. It's a college football thing. It's not a racist thing, It's about us, the Gator Nation. And I'm black. What about our history as the Gator Nation? We took a program from the top five to No. 1 in the country. I think I've done enough, put in the sweat and tears, to get to offer my opinion about something like this."

1 hour ago, n64ra said:

Back to Florida, am I reading it correctly that UF fans really started doing the gator bait thing in the mid 1990s?

Correct.  Its crazy that our fans are acting like the fucking world is ending by getting rid of it.  

20 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Correct.  Its crazy that our fans are acting like the fucking world is ending by getting rid of it.  

It's crazy how white people need to listen to black people except, well, I guess they don't need to listen to Lawrence Wright though.  Does that not seem problematic to you?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bullet said:

The Southern Cross predates the Civil War?

This Yankee learns something new on this board every day!

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

It's crazy how white people need to listen to black people except, well, I guess they don't need to listen to Lawrence Wright though.  Does that not seem problematic to you?

No. Lawrence Wright isn’t/wasn’t racist when he started the chant. It didn’t come from a racist place. But the ties to a racist term aren't arguable.

gator-bait-social-media.jpg

I get why he’s mad, And I sympathize with him, but the University absolutely did the right thing. Ignorance grants you temporary immunity. White people cant go forward using the term now that we are aware of the connotation. Lawrence Wright deserves to have his opinion on the matter, but it won’t give the university any coverage to use a racist term. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

No. Lawrence Wright isn’t/wasn’t racist when he started the chant. It didn’t come from a racist place. But the ties to a racist term aren't arguable.

gator-bait-social-media.jpg

I get why he’s mad, And I sympathize with him, but the University absolutely did the right thing. Ignorance grants you temporary immunity. White people cant go forward using the term now that we are aware of the connotation. Lawrence Wright deserves to have his opinion on the matter, but it won’t give the university any coverage to use a racist term. 

Very disturbing.  You’ve changed my mind.  You guys have a VERY problematic mascot.  Alligators have a racist past and so I think you should change your mascot just to be safe.

• Haha 1

The swastika had many religious and positive uses before the Nazis took it and made it theirs.  Nobody gives a shit what it used to mean, or how it originated.  The recent use makes it inappropriate.

Can things work in the opposite?  Can Florida say, yeah that's what Gator Bait evidently used to mean, but that has nothing do with why we say it.  We've taken that phrase and made it something positive.  Clearly no one says Gator Bait with any racial connotation.   Can UVA be proud of its serpentine walls?  They once existed for a hideous reason, but now they are part of a beautiful, diverse, progressive campus and we are proud of what these buildings and structures stand for today? 

Isn't the current purpose more important than the distant history?  

(This does not include the confederate flag, which to this day is still used - possibly more than ever - as a way to hate)

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Ah yes, the dreaded slippery slope. We have plenty of fans that are flailing about too. You’ll be alright man, we got through letting black people be free, and vote, and go to the same schools as white kids. Not having to hear 90k people yell some racist shit won’t end the world either. 

Ah, predictable retort.  I called into question your lunatic opinion and you replied racist.  Do you idiots have any original thoughts or do you all like get together on zoom once a day to discuss the talking points that need to be barfed out that day?  😂 

12 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

The swastika had many religious and positive uses before the Nazis took it and made it theirs.  Nobody gives a shit what it used to mean, or how it originated.  The recent use makes it inappropriate.

Can things work in the opposite?  Can Florida say, yeah that's what Gator Bait evidently used to mean, but that has nothing do with why we say it.  We've taken that phrase and made it something positive.  Clearly no one says Gator Bait with any racial connotation.   Can UVA be proud of its serpentine walls?  They once existed for a hideous reason, but now they are part of a beautiful, diverse, progressive campus and we are proud of what these buildings and structures stand for today? 

Isn't the current purpose more important than the distant history?  

(This does not include the confederate flag, which to this day is still used - possibly more than ever - as a way to hate)

UF can’t really do shit. It’s up to POC to make that call, And since we are talking about college football, someone will always be offended by it. That’s where I learned about it for the first time. Some FSU fan brought it up as a rebuttal to all their racist shit. there’s just no way to get blanket coverage for something like that, so it’s not worth the fight for a 25 year old tradition. We added the Tom Petty tribute to our game day festivities in like a week. I’m sure someone will come up with something clever to get us past the loss. Ideally, with Lawrence Wright’s input or at least blessing. 

Edited by TXSG8R

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Ah, predictable retort.  I called into question your lunatic opinion and you replied racist.  Do you idiots have any original thoughts or do you all like get together on zoom once a day to discuss the talking points that need to be barfed out that day?  😂 

You’re right, calling for the removal of the alligator as a mascot wasn’t the lunatic opinion in that exchange. Now pipe down, we are getting to the small group discussion on our zoom call and I need to concentrate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

UF can’t really do shit. It’s up to POC to make that call, And since we are talking about college football, someone will always be offended by it. That’s where I learned about it for the first time. Some FSU fan brought it up as a rebuttal to all their racist shit. there’s just no way to get blanket coverage for something like that, so I t’s not worth the fight for a 25 year old tradition. We added the Tom Petty tribute to our game day festivities in like a week. I’m sure someone will come up with something clever to get us past the loss. Ideally, with Lawrence Wright’s input or at least blessing. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Just now, Don Johnson said:

spacer.png

Tom Petty on Past Confederate Flag Use: ‘It Was Downright Stupid’

“[The flag] shouldn’t represent us in any way,” Petty says. “It’s like how a swastika looks to a Jewish person”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/tom-petty-on-past-confederate-flag-use-it-was-downright-stupid-177619/

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

spacer.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/tom-petty-on-past-confederate-flag-use-it-was-downright-stupid-177619/amp/

The Confederate flag was the wallpaper of the South when I was a kid growing up in Gainesville, Florida. I always knew it had to do with the Civil War, but the South had adopted it as its logo. I was pretty ignorant of what it actually meant. It was on a flagpole in front of the courthouse and I often saw it in Western movies. I just honestly didn’t give it much thought, though I should have.

I used it onstage during that song, and I regretted it pretty quickly. When we toured two years later, I noticed people in the audience wearing Confederate flag bandanas and things like that. One night, someone threw one onstage. I stopped everything and gave a speech about it. I said, “Look, this was to illustrate a character. This is not who we are. Having gone through this, I would prefer it if no one would ever bring a Confederate flag to our shows again because this isn’t who we are.”

It got a mixed reaction. There were some boos and some cheers. But honestly, it’s a little amazing to me because I never saw one again after that speech in that one town. Fortunately, that went away, but it left me feeling stupid. That’s the word I can use. I felt stupid. If I had just been a little more observant about things going on around me, it wouldn’t have happened. We did do a live record [Pack Up The Plantation: Live!] and there was a picture inside of us playing in front of one. I went back and had it removed from the record. It took a little time to get done, but it did get done. I still feel bad about it. I’ve just always regretted it. I would never do anything to hurt someone.

This may come as a shock to you, but I’m pretty sure I wore the stars and bars at some point as a child. Dukes of Hazard was kind of a big deal back then. I get it, if you dig you can find racist shit under everything in the south. That doesn’t change the math here. If people of color have a problem with it, you have to take a real hard look at the value of fighting over it. 

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Suck that tiger dick bitch and FSU chant next 

Neck is really vulgar, but not racist as far as I know. My brother and I were talking about FSU and all the other Indian mascot teams. People don’t give as much of a shit about them because Native Americans are largely invisible. I think a large chunk of the country sees them as part of the past, like they aren’t even real people anymore. It’s bizarro that we still have red faced caricatures of people as mascots and everyone is cool with it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

You’re right, calling for the removal of the alligator as a mascot wasn’t the lunatic opinion in that exchange. Now pipe down, we are getting to the small group discussion on our zoom call and I need to concentrate. 

Omg, you thought my post was serious about removing the alligator?  I was being sarcastic to point out how utterly absurd your comments were.  That fact that it completely went over your head shouldn’t shock me. 

12 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/tom-petty-on-past-confederate-flag-use-it-was-downright-stupid-177619/amp/

This may come as a shock to you, but I’m pretty sure I wore the stars and bars at some point as a child. Dukes of Hazard was kind of a big deal back then. I get it, if you dig you can find racist shit under everything in the south. That doesn’t change the math here. If people of color have a problem with it, you have to take a real hard look at the value of fighting over it. 

I don't believe Tom Petty has a racist bone in his body and doubt it occurred to him (or you) back then.  But thank goodness he lived long enough to explain/take it back/apologize.  Had he died before doing that, folks might distance from him the same way they distance from Dukes.  

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Omg, you thought my post was serious about removing the alligator?  I was being sarcastic to point out how utterly absurd your comments were.  That fact that it completely went over your head shouldn’t shock me. 

Damn, you’re so smart bro. You must read, like, a lot of books or something. What’s your opinion on copper fit?  

• Haha 1