AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

Here's a generalization about Buccees.  I avoided it for years, just had no interest, family said I had to at least look.  Later I found out it is aggy owned.  Now I know why my intuition was to stay away.

Buccees is an oasis in a desert full of the Worst Toilets in Scotland. If Buccess were owned by Stalin, I’d still rather lick the floor of a Buccees than spend a second breathing the poisoned fumes of other rest stops along Texas highways.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Buccees is an oasis in a desert full of the Worst Toilets in Scotland. If Buccess were owned by Stalin, I’d still rather lick the floor of a Buccees than spend a second breathing the poisoned fumes of other rest stops along Texas highways.

Ever since Bucees has upped the food and toilet game I've noticed a pretty substantial uptick in quality fuel/restroom/food spots along the interstates.   So much so I'm having a hard time finding gas station condom vending machines anymore

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Numbers I am seeing for the kid's elementary seem laughably low. 

The numbers for my son's elementary school seem significantly lower than my daughter's high school.  I think part of that is a function of more students and more extracurricular activities or other out-of-school school contact.  And unlike the elementary school kids, high schoolers are hanging out in the evenings and on weekends, and even if they're good about masking while in school, they aren't so much when they're out and about.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The numbers for my son's elementary school seem significantly lower than my daughter's high school.  I think part of that is a function of more students and more extracurricular activities or other out-of-school school contact.  And unlike the elementary school kids, high schoolers are hanging out in the evenings and on weekends, and even if they're good about masking while in school, they aren't so much when they're out and about.

That's why I've always LOL at some of these measures a middle schools and high schools. Last fall, my daughter's high school took some mitigation steps with distancing, etc. And then they all hung out after school and on the weekends in small and large groups. Even middle school kids are running around together after school in small and large groups.

School started for us normally. A few cases but seems much lighter than last fall. I think by this point most of the kids have had it.

My kid's school in Waco said they are at 7% positivity.

They can't require masks but ask that every kid starts wearing masks to school starting tomorrow.  If numbers get higher they'll have to close campus.

Folks are complaining the usual nonsense. "You won't be able to see their beautiful smiles",  " masks don't work".

These will be the same cunts throwing tantrums when the school shuts down.  

Mclennan County is 52% vaxxed

My kid's school in Waco said they are at 7% positivity.
They can't require masks but ask that every kid starts wearing masks to school starting tomorrow.  If numbers get higher they'll have to close campus.
Folks are complaining the usual nonsense. "You won't be able to see their beautiful smiles",  " masks don't work".
These will be the same cunts throwing tantrums when the school shuts down.  
Mclennan County is 52% vaxxed

There’s a growing body of evidence that masks actually don’t work with this strain. They’re not hurting anything obviously, but people are putting wayyyy too much confidence in cloth face coverings. We have multiple confirmed cases of spread through N95 at BSWH hospital here in temple.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, harpercollins said:

There’s a growing body of evidence that masks actually don’t work with this strain. They’re not hurting anything obviously, but people are putting wayyyy too much confidence in cloth face coverings. We have multiple confirmed cases of spread through N95 at BSWH hospital here in temple.

See you in a couple of days.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:41 PM, harpercollins said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47gnu5fg9i8sv8cpwkf6

I had 21% of my students absent today.

We are a big district so there hasn't been any talk of closure yet. But subs are stretched very thin.

Dozens of the central admin staff are out in the schools substitute teaching, principals and counselors are subbing in classrooms. And even then we have to combine classes for lack of subs.

AISD raising substitute pay. Good for the people that are subbing, but I don't know that more money will really get many more people. Subbing is one of things that everyone thinks they can do... until they actually do it. I don't know if there's enough money to throw at this problem.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/austin-isd-to-implement-substitute-pay-increase-beginning-next-week

So are we just now at the FAFO stage of this pandemic?  Starting to feel like it.

I am. We notified our private school parents today. No more contact tracing. No more quarantines. Stay home for five days if you have COVID, mask and space days 6-10.

If there was something we could do that would help, we would.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, tchookem said:

AISD raising substitute pay. Good for the people that are subbing, but I don't know that more money will really get many more people. Subbing is one of things that everyone thinks they can do... until they actually do it. I don't know if there's enough money to throw at this problem.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/austin-isd-to-implement-substitute-pay-increase-beginning-next-week

I did a bit of subbing as a young man between undergrad and law school.  It was one of the worst things I've ever done. 

If I could take the time off from work now I might sign up just to help out, but I'm really glad that I can't.  Kids are acting like complete asshats for their regular teachers these days.  Can't even imagine what subs are dealing with.  Anyone doing it deserves respect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, harpercollins said:

I am. We notified our private school parents today. No more contact tracing. No more quarantines. Stay home for five days if you have COVID, mask and space days 6-10.

If there was something we could do that would help, we would.

I wish TEA would change to five days for students.  As it is they do 5 days staff, 10 days students.  Since I’m 90% sure both kids are coming back + on PCR, along with my Elementary Counselor wife and myself…I’ll be flying solo for five additional days for no real reason.  

Given we are all vaccinated and the 8yo who popped + this morning (5yo negative via at home tests) has only a slight cough as symptoms…sucks to try corralling them for ten days straight.  

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I wish TEA would change to five days for students.  As it is they do 5 days staff, 10 days students.  Since I’m 90% sure both kids are coming back + on PCR, along with my Elementary Counselor wife and myself…I’ll be flying solo for five additional days for no real reason.  

Given we are all vaccinated and the 8yo who popped + this morning (5yo negative via at home tests) has only a slight cough as symptoms…sucks to try corralling them for ten days straight.  

Agree, although for my 12yo son who tested positive yesterday, it's not so much about corralling him, it's just about the sheer amount of time he'll be missing from school.  His grades are excellent but he REALLY needs the structure of the school day to keep him on track.

His symptoms were a slightly sore throat and a very slight cough on days 1 and 2, and now all of that is gone, but he won't be able to go back to school for another week.  I'm worried about the potential of him getting behind, too far to make up before the end of the 6-weeks period.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Agree, although for my 12yo son who tested positive yesterday, it's not so much about corralling him, it's just about the sheer amount of time he'll be missing from school.  His grades are excellent but he REALLY needs the structure of the school day to keep him on track.

His symptoms were a slightly sore throat and a very slight cough on days 1 and 2, and now all of that is gone, but he won't be able to go back to school for another week.  I'm worried about the potential of him getting behind, too far to make up before the end of the 6-weeks period.

Good point.  My oldest is just in 2nd, and he may fall behind a bit in his TAG stuff but it shouldn’t really impact his academics much.  He’s smart, relaxed and perceptive. 

My 5yo K student is a wild woman, can’t really sit still and has always been a pistol.  She’s the one I’m crossing my fingers can stay clean and maybe go back with my wife next Monday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

87 cases at McCallum since last Monday.  It is a testing site and there's a line out the door of students waiting for a test each day before school, so Mac is going to have more confirmed cases that other schools. 
Are these random tests or people who don't go to McCallum and don't feel well and need to test?

4 minutes ago, smoky said:

Are these random tests or people who don't go to McCallum and don't feel well and need to test?

The testing site is open to the public. However, the students at Mac are pretty proactive about lining up to get tested if they don't feel well.  The reported numbers are Mac students only.

53 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I did a bit of subbing as a young man between undergrad and law school.  It was one of the worst things I've ever done. 

If I could take the time off from work now I might sign up just to help out, but I'm really glad that I can't.  Kids are acting like complete asshats for their regular teachers these days.  Can't even imagine what subs are dealing with.  Anyone doing it deserves respect.

Same here, I subbed a total of <10 days a few years ago and it was enough to cure me of any notion I had that teaching was for me.  NOBODY subs for the money.  They are doing it out of boredom, training/experimentation, or charity.  You might get more applicants if you got up into the $30-40/hr range but I doubt it.

I actually think that rather than throw money at salary increases they should instead dramatically lower the student/teacher ratio.  Not only would get better outcomes for the kids but also provides better insurance against staffing shortages.

Edited by Snake Diggity

47 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The testing site is open to the public. However, the students at Mac are pretty proactive about lining up to get tested if they don't feel well.  The reported numbers are Mac students only.

And some students are testing if they feel fine but had a “close contact.” My daughter is on the basketball team, has had no symptoms, but tested a few times after her coach has reported a positive test on the team. Kids in similar situations are probably testing when they are asymptomatic but happen to pick up a positive test.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Same here, I subbed a total of <10 days a few years ago and it was enough to cure me of any notion I had that teaching was for me.  NOBODY subs for the money.  They are doing it out of boredom, training/experimentation, or charity.  You might get more applicants if you got up into the $30-40/hr range but I doubt it.

I actually think that rather than throw money at salary increases they should instead dramatically lower the student/teacher ratio.  Not only would get better outcomes for the kids but also provides better insurance against staffing shortages.

That would mean hiring more teachers, which would mean reducing bloated administrative costs, i.e. never gonna happen.

• Like 1

good deal... Sould provide a good prevalence data set compared to the other area high schools.

My wife tested positive on Friday. Me and the kids don't have any symptoms, and our 6 year old is vaccinated. We emailed the school to let them know and that we planned to keep 6 yo out of school until the wife is done with her isolation (we are all at home together, so not really a quarantine). The school emailed back to say that as long as the 6 yo was vaccinated and not showing symptoms that she could go back to school. That seems counter-intuitive to me. Do the schools need the dollars of kids in class that much to encourage kids to return even though a household member tested positive less than 5 days ago?

3 minutes ago, hornian said:

My wife tested positive on Friday. Me and the kids don't have any symptoms, and our 6 year old is vaccinated. We emailed the school to let them know and that we planned to keep 6 yo out of school until the wife is done with her isolation (we are all at home together, so not really a quarantine). The school emailed back to say that as long as the 6 yo was vaccinated and not showing symptoms that she could go back to school. That seems counter-intuitive to me. Do the schools need the dollars of kids in class that much to encourage kids to return even though a household member tested positive less than 5 days ago?

Similar experience here. My 12-year-old tested positive on Sunday. Nobody else in the house has any symptoms, and we’re all testing negative on at home rapid tests. My 9-year-old’s elementary school said she should come to school today but she has to get tested on Thursday (5 days after she was exposed to symptomatic brother)in order to continue coming to school. I also found out this morning on our way to school that one of the 9-year-old’s friends woke up with a fever this morning, and they were around each other over the weekend. I kept her home.

On the flip side, the 12-year-old who is positive can return to school on Monday if he remains free of fever and symptoms go away. He doesn’t need proof of negative test to return. But my 9-year-old has to have a negative test to return because she exposed. 

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

Well all four PCR tests for us came back negative.  Guess the one QuickVue rapid that showed a positive on the 8yo was a rare false-positive…at least my expectation is enough viral load to trip an @home test would light up a PCR ‘gold standard’.  

Fuck if I know.  Kids going back to school tomorrow that’s for sure. 

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

O.Henry had 24 cases Friday. Bear in mind these are only folks reporting back to school. There are many who don't.

One of my kid's classes has now had multiple kids test positive over Friday/through the weekend.  At least the parents are reporting it (we aren't a testing school).  We've got to get our kids tested.

I expected high numbers from the schools who have the testing pools and are testing every week, but when the non-pool schools have the principals sending out emails every few hours, furk.

Raising sub pay won't really attract new subs, but it will encourage those already on the sub list to go ahead and pick up the job. Some subs only like to sub certain days or for certain subjects so they'll pass on other jobs. Higher pay could encourage them to not be as selective.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, midtown said:

Ever since Bucees has upped the food and toilet game I've noticed a pretty substantial uptick in quality fuel/restroom/food spots along the interstates.   So much so I'm having a hard time finding gas station condom vending machines anymore

You’re doing it wrong.  Be careful opening, eat burrito, use packagespacer.png as your condom.

4 hours ago, hornian said:

Those are CDC recommendations

IF YOU
Were exposed to COVID-19 and are up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccinations

No quarantine
You do not need to stay home unless you develop symptoms.

Get tested
Even if you don’t develop symptoms, get tested at least 5 days after you last had close contact with someone with COVID-19.

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Those are CDC recommendations

IF YOU
Were exposed to COVID-19 and are up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccinations

No quarantine
You do not need to stay home unless you develop symptoms.

Get tested
Even if you don’t develop symptoms, get tested at least 5 days after you last had close contact with someone with COVID-19.

Understand, but I feel like it’s different if you were “exposed” to Mike from accounting at a 15 minute staff meeting versus being “exposed to a care giver”. We are keeping her out for the time being.