AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

My wife was a teacher for a long time.  You'd be surprised how many parents will give their kids Tylenol to knock a fever down so they can send them to school.  And later in the day when the kids are really sick, they'll admit to their parents giving them Tylenol or whatever.
Actually, I guess you wouldn't be surprised.

Wife is a school nurse in an elementary school with 650 kids. This happens DAILY. Like EVERY DAY.

But even worse some parents don’t answer the phone when the fever spiked and she calls them. 95% of the time the mother is called first. She found The only way around this was to call the secondary contact - usually the father. After she does this she usually gets a call back within 5 minutes from the mother.

TLDR people fucking lie all the time wrt/ their kids for personal convenience.

Not the least bit surprised. I’d be more surprised if that wasn’t super common.
when everyone in the household works what the fuck else you gonna do?
Instill remember when my mom went back to school getting dragged to class with her when I was too sick to go to my own school because she “couldn’t miss”. 

In my wife’s school a slight majority of parents are single income. I can see it for dual income (it’s still wrong but whatever).

However many of the moms she calls are working out or playing fucking tennis and can’t be bothered.

45 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

In my wife’s school a slight majority of parents are single income. I can see it for dual income (it’s still wrong but whatever).

However many of the moms she calls are working out or playing fucking tennis and can’t be bothered.

It’s all shitty but what you described is even shittier. 

Wife is a school nurse in an elementary school with 650 kids. This happens DAILY. Like EVERY DAY.

But even worse some parents don’t answer the phone when the fever spiked and she calls them. 95% of the time the mother is called first. She found The only way around this was to call the secondary contact - usually the father. After she does this she usually gets a call back within 5 minutes from the mother.

TLDR people fucking lie all the time wrt/ their kids for personal convenience.

Not a shock at all. Kids are a reflection of their parents. Sadly you can tell who has good parents and who doesn’t...and who has a chance at going somewhere in life and who doesn’t
  • Like 1

Based on what I know today the Day School that my little ones attend are not governed by the TEA therefore they plan to move ahead with starting back in Sept. It seems like most K+ programs are going the virtual route (at least initially) but for those with kids in programs prior to K are you holding them out of that and keeping them at home? I'm torn but my wife wants to do that. I'm really waiting to see what the schools has in terms of options. Last year I paid tuition for nothing in return... this year I'll be damned if I'm doing that again. 

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

According to this author, if you are a parent planning to do an educational pod you are perpetuating white supremacy. No shock, this garbage is found in the NYT. 

Many will read this article and ask what they’re supposed to do instead. I don’t have the answer. Parents are in an unimaginably hard position. Raising children without the in-person schooling so many families rely on can be a nightmare on the most personal level.

Glad they finally got around to stating the obvious. Lots of words to bottom line the issue, without any constructive proposal that parents can consider. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

According to this author, if you are a parent planning to do an educational pod you are perpetuating white supremacy. No shock, this garbage is found in the NYT. 

It is an opinion piece. And NYT has had some recent, erm, issues with their opinion column in recent months.

But it is also true that our schools have become more and more segregated with time due to socio-economic factors that just happen to closely mirror racial demographics. But of course the reason isn't political, it's economic 😉

The main thrust of the opinion piece is that if learning becomes solely a household/community responsibility, the reality of the situation is that many poor children are going to fall far far behind. The article backs up its points with data and statistics, it's worth a read for no reason but to challenge your own biases - even if you disagree with it

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

It is an opinion piece. And NYT has had some recent, erm, issues with their opinion column in recent months.

But it is also true that our schools have become more and more segregated with time due to socio-economic factors that just happen to closely mirror racial demographics. But of course the reason isn't political, it's economic 😉

The main thrust of the opinion piece is that if learning becomes solely a household/community responsibility, the reality of the situation is that many poor children are going to fall far far behind. The article backs up its points with data and statistics, it's worth a read for no reason but to challenge your own biases - even if you disagree with it

I read the article. I agree that the poor kids are going to fall even further behind if they are left to fend for themselves with online learning. That's why I think closing the schools is a travesty. The parents with means and the time are going to do what's best for their kids. You'd do the same. We all would.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Found a small homeschool pod for our 1st grader. Right now it’s gonna be about 10-12 kids. K-2nd. $300/week to help pay for a second teacher. The mom in charge might expand it a bit so our 4th grader can go too. She’s homeschooled before. She’s opening it whether our school opens in person or not.

We’re on the fence if we’re gonna do it. My 1st grader really needs the strict regimen of in person school. She also thrives on the increased social contact of the full elementary.  She has missed it a lot. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Of course getting rid of in person education will perpetuate “white supremacy”. By and large the whites are the class at the top of the socio economic chain. The people at the top of the socio economic chain are going to do better and care more about education than those that are in the lower level of society (by and large- exceptions exist on both sides of course). 
so if it’s everyone fend for themselves of course people like my kids are going to do better than other kids. What the fuck am I supposed to do- not educate my kids bc they will be better educated than others? 
It’s fucking awful to cancel in person for the most vulnerable amongst us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Of course getting rid of in person education will perpetuate “white supremacy”. By and large the whites are the class at the top of the socio economic chain. The people at the top of the socio economic chain are going to do better and care more about education than those that are in the lower level of society (by and large- exceptions exist on both sides of course). 
so if it’s everyone fend for themselves of course people like my kids are going to do better than other kids. What the fuck am I supposed to do- not educate my kids bc they will be better educated than others? 
It’s fucking awful to cancel in person for the most vulnerable amongst us. 

There's no good answers, and no matter what course of action is taken kids are going to get left behind. You should go and educate your kids to the best of your ability, but I guess my point is that there's a significant subset of Americans that can't educate their children. If our schools give up because there's no in-person teaching and leave it to the parents and half-baked remote schooling, that's a failure.

It should not be a surprise that schools aren't going to operate the same for at least the rest of the year, if not the entire school year. The fact that your best option as a parent for your kids education is not the school you pay taxes for, but to DIY an educational pod is fucked.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

AISD Online

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/education/schools/aisd-gives-look-at-a-day-in-the-life-of-virtual-learning-in-reopening-information-session/269-d7e001df-00a4-4fdf-8ff9-949f6b30ed55

How will it be different than the spring? AISD said the district's academics, professional learning, technology teams and teachers "have been working hard over the summer to create high-quality, online instructional resources for students in all grades that will be much more comprehensive and robust than what existed in the spring."

In the presentation, AISD said remote learning will focus on:

• Community and connectedness
  • Social, emotional and physical needs
  • Reflection tools for students and families 
  • Tracking progress toward clear learning goals 
  • Authentic and meaningful feedback from teachers
  • Engaging learners of all backgrounds
  • Simultaneous interaction with teachers
  • Options for students to work at their own pace 
  • Opportunities and resources for reteaching and support

In the presentation, AISD said communication and course content will be delivered on one system for grades Pre-K through 12 on a system called BLEND (Canvas). 

Through this one tool, AISD said students and parents will:

• Receive all communication about course assignments
  • Be able to watch videos 
  • Access lesson content
  • Submit assignments
  • Receive feedback on assignments
  • Communicate with their teachers
  • Access Seesaw, a supplemental tool for grades Pre-K through 12

In an AISD "Superintendent Check-In," the school district said all students will have either a Chromebook or iPad. It anticipates technology distribution will take place the week leading up to the start of school. You can find more questions and answers regarding technology here. 

Somewhere, there are Chromebook salespeople having the best year of their lives.

10,000 additional wifi spots

https://www.austinisd.org/announcements/2020/07/21/superintendent-check-technology-qa

Edited by atomheartbevo

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There's no good answers, and no matter what course of action is taken kids are going to get left behind. You should go and educate your kids to the best of your ability, but I guess my point is that there's a significant subset of Americans that can't educate their children. If our schools give up because there's no in-person teaching and leave it to the parents and half-baked remote schooling, that's a failure.

It should not be a surprise that schools aren't going to operate the same for at least the rest of the year, if not the entire school year. The fact that your best option as a parent for your kids education is not the school you pay taxes for, but to DIY an educational pod is fucked.

Yeah- of course that’s true. Which is why I’m completely and totally against the idea of shutting down schools for anything other than just absolute necessity. The cost is really fucking high for those in our society that can’t afford to bear it. 

all those protests and walks for racial justice?  Bullshit words and empty actions compared to actually providing a solid foundation for success by educating property the least amongst us. 

I hate it when words and actions don’t match up. Hate it when it’s the Cheeto hued moron in charge of this country and fucking hate it when it’s the educator that says nothing is more important than equality and says fuck you we aren’t going back to school until our lists of demands are met (California TEA). 

If you think that’s political (I’m not talking to you captainant right now when I say you) I say go take a step back and fuck your own face. This isn’t about politics this is about actually trying to do right by everyone in this country to the best of our ability- not bullshit headlines about white supremacy in the NYT because I’m doing the only thing in my power to do right by my own kids while I pray that our society will collectively unfuck itself long enough to do, you know, basic shit that’s necessary to have a society by educating the least amongst us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

AISD Online

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/education/schools/aisd-gives-look-at-a-day-in-the-life-of-virtual-learning-in-reopening-information-session/269-d7e001df-00a4-4fdf-8ff9-949f6b30ed55

How will it be different than the spring? AISD said the district's academics, professional learning, technology teams and teachers "have been working hard over the summer to create high-quality, online instructional resources for students in all grades that will be much more comprehensive and robust than what existed in the spring."

In the presentation, AISD said remote learning will focus on:

That’s literally the presentation bullets that they read.

The meeting was completely worthless since it gave exactly zero details even though they promised to show “a day in the life” of a remote student. It really made me fear that there’s no plan after all.

So talked to a friend who is in admin.  She's had parents asking her school that if they form little pods and have teachers/retired teachers come in and teach in-person, does that count towards the district's grading policies.

They are basically being told "lol, no, if you are going to home school, you home school and you declare it as such.  You can't have a third party come in, say your kid got these grades and expect the district to just take the grades at face value, because otherwise parents would be basically buying grades."

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are basically being told "lol, no, if you are going to home school, you home school and you declare it as such.

Yes, if you plan on keeping your kids in the public school system, you need to basically keep any and all mention of supplementary learning activities, podding up, etc. off the radar lest they could view it as homeschooling. 

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yes, if you plan on keeping your kids in the public school system, you need to basically keep any and all mention of supplementary learning activities, podding up, etc. off the radar lest they could view it as homeschooling. 

Oh no, they are talking about parents wanting to have their kids graded within the system - they don't care if they pod up or do supplemental or whatever, as long as they are also doing the work provided by the school, and are participating in the class sessions.

They just didn't want a bunch of parents letting their kids skip all of the online sessions/video calls, and saying "take our word for it, our children did the work, they don't need to show it, so you need to give them school credit."

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The "podding" we're contemplating would just gather 4 boys in the same home so they can all work their elementary school curriculum together, whether our school rolls out simultaneous (i.e., Zoom) or self-paced learning.  You don't think AISD would consider that homeschooling, would it?

Edit:  @atomheartbevoaddressed my question.

Edited by South Austin
i'm allsome

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The "podding" we're contemplating would just gather 4 boys in the same home so they can all work their elementary school curriculum together, whether our school rolls out simultaneous (i.e., Zoom) or self-paced learning.  You don't think AISD would consider that homeschooling, would it?

Edit:  @atomheartbevoaddressed my question.

We're looking at same.  I am only sharing the advice from my acquaintance that is a teacher in a different district.  I don't know what AISD has done, but LTISD has taken some steps to prevent people who were in home school last year from enrolling and using the online resources provided by virtual learning.  The implication being, don't give them any space to think that you are engaging in home schooling, or they may very well pull your card. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We're looking at same.  I am only sharing the advice from my acquaintance that is a teacher in a different district.  I don't know what AISD has done, but LTISD has taken some steps to prevent people who were in home school last year from enrolling and using the online resources provided by virtual learning.  The implication being, don't give them any space to think that you are engaging in home schooling, or they may very well pull your card. 

Got it.  We've already had the discussion with our son's third-grade teacher from last year about her thoughts on good candidates for to join our son in the pod.  I know she wasn't speaking for the school or for AISD, but she thought it was a great idea.

I wonder what the school and AISD officials would think about the pod idea.  One the one had, it's great for more social interaction among students and could facilitate better learning than holed up in quarantine.  On the other hand, if there's any prayer of resuming in-school learning after starting the school year virtual-only, we might be increasing the risks of viral transmission among school families by gathering together in pods.  

Exploring the pod idea is my own recognition that my kids likely won't see the inside of a school until sometime in 2021. 

From the WSJ:

The Times of London reports:  

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-known-case-of-teacher-catching-coronavirus-from-pupils-says-scientist-3zk5g2x6z?fbclid=IwAR2gNTTf8SA_ycKPk8m0MWR-nEr7xzbSVJ8VgE4SFs9SlVNGZ7QPt0WwWCU

There has been no recorded case of a teacher catching the coronavirus from a pupil anywhere in the world, according to one of the government’s leading scientific advisers.
Mark Woolhouse, a leading epidemiologist and member of the government’s Sage committee, told The Times that it may have been a mistake to close schools in March given the limited role children play in spreading the virus. 

Prof. Woolhouse, chairman of infectious disease epidemiology at Edinburgh University, saying that school-age kids are “minimally involved in the epidemiology of this virus.” He adds that youngsters are “vanishingly unlikely to end up in hospital or to die from it” and “rarely transmit” the virus to others. Mark McLaughlin, Marc Horne and Rosemary Bennett of The Times also report:

Dr Gabriel Scally, president of the epidemiology and public health section of the Royal Society of Medicine, said that reopening schools should have been one of the top priorities of lifting the lockdown. “It is a real indictment of our society that we can manage to open pubs and nail bars but we can’t open schools,” he said.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

My current favorite move from the pod folks is trying to push the schools to put pod kids into the same classroom.  Self entitled asswipes.

The author of the NYT piece had an issue with that too. Why? If these are exceptional circumstances, shouldn't parents be able to pod up with others that are the best fit for their child's needs that can also accommodate their ability to host said pods so as to allow for them to work as best as they can. If the districts are foisting online education on to the parents causing them to scramble, shouldn't the schools allow for parents to make the best of the situation. 

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

From the WSJ:

The Times of London reports:  

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-known-case-of-teacher-catching-coronavirus-from-pupils-says-scientist-3zk5g2x6z?fbclid=IwAR2gNTTf8SA_ycKPk8m0MWR-nEr7xzbSVJ8VgE4SFs9SlVNGZ7QPt0WwWCU

There has been no recorded case of a teacher catching the coronavirus from a pupil anywhere in the world, according to one of the government’s leading scientific advisers.
Mark Woolhouse, a leading epidemiologist and member of the government’s Sage committee, told The Times that it may have been a mistake to close schools in March given the limited role children play in spreading the virus. 

Prof. Woolhouse, chairman of infectious disease epidemiology at Edinburgh University, saying that school-age kids are “minimally involved in the epidemiology of this virus.” He adds that youngsters are “vanishingly unlikely to end up in hospital or to die from it” and “rarely transmit” the virus to others. Mark McLaughlin, Marc Horne and Rosemary Bennett of The Times also report:

Dr Gabriel Scally, president of the epidemiology and public health section of the Royal Society of Medicine, said that reopening schools should have been one of the top priorities of lifting the lockdown. “It is a real indictment of our society that we can manage to open pubs and nail bars but we can’t open schools,” he said.

the reopening of pubs and nail bars too early led to not being able to open schools.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

the reopening of pubs and nail bars too early led to not being able to open schools.

And in a lot of places, pubs are already closed again because, as it turns out, we couldn't manage that properly, so....

Good job, good effort? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

There has been no recorded case of a teacher catching the coronavirus from a pupil anywhere in the world

There was 800+ daycare workers, and 400+ kids in daycare here in Texas last month who tested positive.  

I've got two little kids under the age of 8, I know how much they pick their noses, don't wash their hands, touch their faces, etc.

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Self entitled asswipes.

36 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

shouldn't parents be able to pod up with others that are the best fit for their child's needs

We have a bingo. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I wonder what the school and AISD officials would think about the pod idea.  One the one had, it's great for more social interaction among students and could facilitate better learning than holed up in quarantine. 

When you all are talking pod, you're talking about home schooling on a larger scale?

If you want your kid to still be classified as attending AISD and being given credit, that kid will need to be doing the video sessions with the teachers and turning in the homework, etc. that is up on Blend.  And there is going to be a schedule of sorts.  

AISD is not going to know (or care) if your kid is doing stuff outside of what AISD teachers are assigning, whether that's podding up with others or whatever.  All AISD cares about, is that if you are keeping your kid enrolled within AISD, that the kid is making an appearance and turning in assigned work.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

On the other hand, if there's any prayer of resuming in-school learning after starting the school year virtual-only, we might be increasing the risks of viral transmission among school families by gathering together in pods.  

That's why we've held off this summer on letting our kids hang with other kids at their houses.   We have plenty of anti-vaxxer types in our neighborhood, and plenty of parents who plain didn't give a shit - no elderly relatives around, that kind of thing.  This summer has been an eye-opener.   Virtual playdates aren't the best, but.....

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

When you all are talking pod, you're talking about home schooling on a larger scale?

If you want your kid to still be classified as attending AISD and being given credit, that kid will need to be doing the video sessions with the teachers and turning in the homework, etc. that is up on Blend.  And there is going to be a schedule of sorts.  

AISD is not going to know (or care) if your kid is doing stuff outside of what AISD teachers are assigning, whether that's podding up with others or whatever.  All AISD cares about, is that if you are keeping your kid enrolled within AISD, that the kid is making an appearance and turning in assigned work.

Yes, that's what we're talking about.  All kids in the pod will be officially enrolled at the same elementary school, will be working off the assigned school curriculum and schedule, and will be adhering to whatever synchronous instruction is required.  I ain't doing no independent homeschooling shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The author of the NYT piece had an issue with that too. Why? If these are exceptional circumstances, shouldn't parents be able to pod up with others that are the best fit for their child's needs that can also accommodate their ability to host said pods so as to allow for them to work as best as they can. If the districts are foisting online education on to the parents causing them to scramble, shouldn't the schools allow for parents to make the best of the situation. 

I don't have a problem with pods at all.  People will do what's best for their kids.  I was speaking specifically of pods hiring public school teachers away from the schools.  When they're offering public school teachers more money than they make to teach at the school to come and tutor their handful of kids, thereby depriving public school kids of an experienced teacher, that's a bridge too far in my opinion.   And the teachers that take that faustian bargain will be the ones on the outside looking in when things return to normal.  Do I think it should be illegal?  No.  Do I think people can spend their money however they want?  Yes.  Do I think this particular move makes them self entitled assholes?  Yep.

just got this from aisd:

Need to Know: Educational Models and Definitions  
We realize families want to make the best choice for their students. Prior to face-to-face instruction beginning again, families will be given an intent form to determine the caregiver’s learning choice for their students (remote or in-person). Please know that flexibility will be incorporated at specific times during the school year to allow caregivers to change their choice regarding how instruction is delivered. As we continue to communicate, we wanted our families to know the models we are currently planning as well as some definitions and details. 

On-Campus Face-to-Face Teaching and Learning

On-campus face-to-face learning occurs when the teacher and the student meet physically in a classroom for a set time with whole-group lessons, small-group lessons, guided practice and independent practice, including social distancing and health and safety measures in place.

Remote Teaching and Learning

Remote learning occurs when the student and teacher are separated by distance and either meet online at an agreed-upon time (synchronous), or the student receives instructions for learning and completes their assignments at their own pace (asynchronous). The teacher and student do not meet in a traditional physical classroom setting.

Synchronous Instruction

Requires students and teachers to be present at the same time online. Examples include live interactive classes with students and teachers participating in real-time, or teacher-supported student work time on video conference calls. This may also include small group instruction online, testing, etc. This model is a form of remote learning.

Asynchronous Instruction

Does not require students and teacher to be present online at the same time.  Examples include self-paced online courses with intermittent teacher instruction, pre-assigned work with regular assessments on paper, or in BLEND, or Seesaw and can also be pre-recorded videos of instruction, etc. This model is also a form of remote learning. 

Need to know: Teaching and Learning - What It Looks Like
In collaboration with our teachers, our goal is to provide exemplary lessons, support remote instruction and ease our eventual transition back to on-campus instruction. That’s why AISD is committed to the following standards when teaching remotely or via face-to-face instruction:

All teachers will implement research-based, best instructional practices.
We have identified and prioritized mastery of essential standards (what students need to master by the end of the year in order to be prepared for the next grade level) for each grade level and in each subject or course. Teachers will articulate those standards in student-friendly language in BLEND (some Pre-K-2 teachers will link to Seesaw as well). 
Teachers will deliver lessons in every subject area and course, including core subject as well as special areas (art, music, physical education). The progression of learning will address the following questions:
What are students expected to know and be able to do to accomplish mastery of the essential standard?
How will we know if a student learned the essential standard?
How will we respond if a student did not learn the essential standard?
How will we extend the learning for a student who has mastered the essential standard?
Teachers will take grades in every subject area and course, according to Board policy
Students can expect a full report card with grades instead of the Pass/Incomplete system used in remote learning last spring.
Students will receive regular feedback on coursework
Teachers will hold remote office hours when teaching remotely. These times are an additional opportunity for students, teachers, and caregivers to connect. 
Instruction will include social-emotional learning strategies and lessons.
Teachers and other campus staff will call, email and use BLEND to maintain regular caregiver communication.
Students will receive regular evaluations to ensure they are making progress on the essential standards.
Students and teachers will work together to create learning goals as the students progress toward mastering the essential standards. 
Special Education: Teachers will provide support for special education students that aligns with their individual education plan. Teachers will provide modifications and accommodations and stay in close contact with parents regarding the progress.
Dual Language: Teachers will provide instruction in both program languages according to the language allocation plan in support of the goals of biliteracy and bilingualism, high academic achievement and positive cross-cultural competence.
Teachers will differentiate instruction to ensure that every student is receiving what he or she needs to be successful.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

just got this from aisd:

Our school district sent out a similar survey a few weeks ago. From my school board contacts, they were hoping for at least 20% of kids requesting distance learning to accommodate the social distancing at school. Final results were 67% of parents wanted in person instruction. 33% distance learning. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/round-rock-isd-teachers-on-campus-instruction-will-be-identical-to-virtual/

In-person learning for students in the Round Rock Independent School District will be identical to virtual instruction from home, several RRISD teachers have shared with KXAN.

Round Rock ISD officials have not officially confirmed this scenario to KXAN but said it is one being discussed.

Multiple teachers, under the promise of anonymity, shared the discussion topics and Powerpoint slides from an all-staff meeting held Thursday morning.

The teachers said students who report to campus will have an assigned classroom and desk where they will stay for the entire day and complete the same virtual work as students at home. Assigned educators will “monitor” the room of students. 

They said the district’s purpose for a “100% virtual instructional model” is to ensure equity in the educational experience for all students, allow them to transition between the two models seamlessly and help teachers focus on a single instructional model.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/round-rock-isd-teachers-on-campus-instruction-will-be-identical-to-virtual/

In-person learning for students in the Round Rock Independent School District will be identical to virtual instruction from home, several RRISD teachers have shared with KXAN.

Round Rock ISD officials have not officially confirmed this scenario to KXAN but said it is one being discussed.

Multiple teachers, under the promise of anonymity, shared the discussion topics and Powerpoint slides from an all-staff meeting held Thursday morning.

The teachers said students who report to campus will have an assigned classroom and desk where they will stay for the entire day and complete the same virtual work as students at home. Assigned educators will “monitor” the room of students. 

They said the district’s purpose for a “100% virtual instructional model” is to ensure equity in the educational experience for all students, allow them to transition between the two models seamlessly and help teachers focus on a single instructional model.

I hear that this is the workaround for TEA on campus rules that most districts around here will implement.

On campus Karens are going to be pissed

7 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't have a problem with pods at all.  People will do what's best for their kids.  I was speaking specifically of pods hiring public school teachers away from the schools. 

Yeah, I don't know anyone doing that at all and it is certainly not what I am talking about when I talk about pods we are working on for my kids.  More about providing a limited co-education environment with the virtual learning context provided by the district, with children from other families who have similar habits wrt to COVID control. 

Edited by Anastasis

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

5 hours ago, RexWilson said:

^^^

It's true.

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I hear that this is the workaround for TEA on campus rules that most districts around here will implement.

On campus Karens are going to be pissed

Total clusterfuck. 

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I don't know anyone doing that at all and it is certainly not what I am talking about when I talk about pods we are working on for my kids.  More about providing a limited co-education environment with the virtual learning context provided by the district, with children from other families who have similar habits wrt to COVID control. 

I know of a handful of pods that have hired teachers away from the schools.  I can't wrap my head around what the teachers are thinking other than short term cash.  I suppose some of them may have quit anyway out of concerns about returning to the classroom.   Pods in general is a great idea and I hope it works well for those who do it.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I know of a handful of pods that have hired teachers away from the schools.  I can't wrap my head around what the teachers are thinking other than short term cash.  I suppose some of them may have quit anyway out of concerns about returning to the classroom.   Pods in general is a great idea and I hope it works well for those who do it.

Maybe it’s teachers who were close to retiring and said, “fuck it, I’m out.”  But as I said before, my kids’ pod won’t be of that nature. Hopefully it’s relatively temporary.

9 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Link upthread: https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/round-rock-isd-teachers-on-campus-instruction-will-be-identical-to-virtual/

I am sure that there are some teachers who don't feel like they signed up to simply be baby sitters all day. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18