AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

Our school district finally completed an internal survey, not for public consumption yet.  28+% of teachers/staff (everybody from Superintendent to Food Service/Custodial) either themselves have a pre-existing condition that puts them at high-risk, or lives with someone who has a high-risk pre-existing condition.  That's a lot of people who aren't going to want to come back to work in a big hurry.  And that leaves a lot of qualified people who could likely work with pods of kids.  Wife is already organizing one of like-minded parents, but that's a bigger challenge than you think.  Everybody says they're worried and cautious, and then you see them out and about with their kids in a basketball league that has the virus running rampant through.

I like that our circle of parent friends were never busy-body Karen types that were concerned with everyone else's parenting style.  But yeah, for this next semester+...your bullshit effects my kid now.  I can't wait to go back to not caring again.  Everybody has their "what I look forward to most after this pandemic is over" list of restaurants, trips, activities, school, sports, etc.  Mine is simply not giving a shit about what other people are doing/saying.  I won't take it for granted next time, I promise.  

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Link upthread: https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/round-rock-isd-teachers-on-campus-instruction-will-be-identical-to-virtual/

The teachers said students who report to campus will have an assigned classroom and desk where they will stay for the entire day and complete the same virtual work as students at home. Assigned educators will “monitor” the room of students.

I am sure that there are some teachers who don't feel like they signed up to simply be baby sitters all day. 

Again, who outside of health care “signed up” for this? It’s all temporary. At least they have jobs. Suck it up. Jesus 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Do any pod-curious parents consider finding a lower-income student to include in their group? I know you'd have to carefully vet their family situation to make sure they weren't living in unsafe conditions. But it shouldn't be too hard to find a disadvantaged/minority student whose home life is structured enough to keep everyone safe.

I know it's a sensitive question so it's not directed personally at anyone on here. The pod topic is a national thing and it has dire implications for students who were already disadvantaged. I'm just curious if anyone has heard of efforts to somewhat diversify the pods. 

That's a good point, and unfortunately I'm not hearing anything about it as we dive deeply into the matter.  

I will say though, you don't need to search that hard to find a child like that in your own school district.  Our is a rather well-known district here in Central Texas that people assume is filled with nothing but affluent white kids.  The stats bear out a very different story.  Our call on Wednesday with the Superintendent and his team yielded a final audit of the most at-risk students for next year and their ability to do remote-learning (special ed./physical therapy/etc.).  But there is also nearly 10% of our district (and it's even higher at my particular elementary school which is considered the "least affluent" part of the district) that are kids receiving free/subsidized lunch and/or other special services due to their family's situation.  Now I'm not gonna preach that "nearly 10%" makes us ripe for a Hollywood documentary; but it's a damn sight more than most stereotypes in Austin make it out to be.  We have plenty of kids just at our own school who could use a pod experience at someone's home because their own home situation is ever-changing (and usually not for the best). 

No matter your district or demographics, there are dozens or hundreds of families that are paying rent and are way in over their heads financially, just because they want their kids in those great schools.  These kids of zero privilege are in your kids classes already, why not invite them into your home for a pod experience.  Maybe discretely get them lunch a couple times a week (delivery or pre-packaged so you don't have to handle it for virus purposes), have them join in on music, art, free play, etc.  I totally agree with Bartles.  I realized, "Shit, there's already dozens of kids at her elementary school like that.  Sure they live in a nice area...but they're barely making rent at one of several run-down properties in our district, and barely getting groceries.  They sure as hell don't have money for a tutor, or sports leagues, or an art teacher to come by the house."  It's gonna be awkward inviting a family into your home from across town.  But you can certainly just ask parents who are already living in your area to join you for a pod experience who would be very grateful, and also---boom, you already know each other next year when this shit is over with.  

Anyway, great point by Bartles.  Think local this semester, you'll be pleased with the results.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

CDC did an about-face and is jumping with both feet into the "kids can't get COVID" camp

"The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children.  Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults."

That's a yikes for teachers. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-known-case-of-teacher-catching-coronavirus-from-pupils-says-scientist-3zk5g2x6z?fbclid=IwAR2gNTTf8SA_ycKPk8m0MWR-nEr7xzbSVJ8VgE4SFs9SlVNGZ7QPt0WwWCU&modtag=djemBestOfTheWeb

"There has been no recorded case of a teacher catching the coronavirus from a pupil anywhere in the world, according to one of the government’s leading scientific advisers."

3 hours ago, Bartles said:

Do any pod-curious parents consider finding a lower-income student to include in their group? I know you'd have to carefully vet their family situation to make sure they weren't living in unsafe conditions. But it shouldn't be too hard to find a disadvantaged/minority student whose home life is structured enough to keep everyone safe.

I know it's a sensitive question so it's not directed personally at anyone on here. The pod topic is a national thing and it has dire implications for students who were already disadvantaged. I'm just curious if anyone has heard of efforts to somewhat diversify the pods. 

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha. 
that’s not how it works in the real world broseph. 
we talk about wanting to help and the importance of equality but ain’t nobody inviting a freeloading poor into their home with their little precious Johnny or Susie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-known-case-of-teacher-catching-coronavirus-from-pupils-says-scientist-3zk5g2x6z?fbclid=IwAR2gNTTf8SA_ycKPk8m0MWR-nEr7xzbSVJ8VgE4SFs9SlVNGZ7QPt0WwWCU&modtag=djemBestOfTheWeb

"There has been no recorded case of a teacher catching the coronavirus from a pupil anywhere in the world, according to one of the government’s leading scientific advisers."

I’m on team open it all up for in school education for everyone with no shut downs and I don’t believe that happy horseshit for one second and laugh at anyone saying that with a straight face. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha. 
that’s not how it works in the real world broseph. 
we talk about wanting to help and the importance of equality but ain’t nobody inviting a freeloading poor into their home with their little precious Johnny or Susie. 

Yeah, I doubt anyone on the Titanic was trying to diversify the lifeboats at the last minute. Financially, we can probably make more of an impact buying laptops for a bunch of poor kids as opposed to squeezing one into a temporary pod. Though it would be a life-changing experience not only for the poor kid but the others as well.

5 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I know of a handful of pods that have hired teachers away from the schools.  I can't wrap my head around what the teachers are thinking other than short term cash.  I suppose some of them may have quit anyway out of concerns about returning to the classroom.   Pods in general is a great idea and I hope it works well for those who do it.

I have a feeling it won't play well with the districts when they try and come back.

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Maybe it’s teachers who were close to retiring and said, “fuck it, I’m out.”  But as I said before, my kids’ pod won’t be of that nature. Hopefully it’s relatively temporary.

I would think they would be screwing with their pensions if they were close to retirement.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wife is already organizing one of like-minded parents, but that's a bigger challenge than you think.  Everybody says they're worried and cautious, and then you see them out and about with their kids in a basketball league that has the virus running rampant through.

I like that our circle of parent friends were never busy-body Karen types that were concerned with everyone else's parenting style.  But yeah, for this next semester+...your bullshit effects my kid now.  I can't wait to go back to not caring again.  Everybody has their "what I look forward to most after this pandemic is over" list of restaurants, trips, activities, school, sports, etc.  Mine is simply not giving a shit about what other people are doing/saying.  I won't take it for granted next time, I promise.  

Yeah, I jog in the morning and at evening, and/or have the kids along in the morning or evening, and so I'm hitting all areas of my neighborhood every week, and see a lot of behavior that....concerns me during a pandemic.  And then there's the FB/Nextdoor aspect, where people's views are made clear.

Of course, they think the same about me - I've already had a couple of people bitching this summer that I'm teaching my kids to kill because we've been fishing in Shoal Creek.  Even pointing out that we aren't eating the fish (no fucking way in hell I'd ever eat anything out of a creek in Austin).  Even pointing out that come August, most of these fish will be dead when the creek is dried up in more areas.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

CDC did an about-face and is jumping with both feet into the "kids can't get COVID" camp

"The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children.  Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults."

That's a yikes for teachers. 

There was a sampling of Texas daycares from last month, and they had over 800 adults positive, and 400 kids negative.

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There was a sampling of Texas daycares from last month, and they had over 800 adults positive, and 400 kids negative.

Can you link me to that data? A quick google surfaced multiple reports that Texas DHS data showed infections in adults and children in daycare facilities(as published July 9th)

According to the state health agency, as of Wednesday, Texas children and staff reported 1,695 positive cases at 1,078 child care centers, about 8.8% of the centers open as of this week. About a third of the cases were children, and the rest were staff.

In mid-May, 59 confirmed cases among children and staff had been reported. By the end of June the total had risen to 950, including 307 children and 643 staff.

The Texas health agency also doesn’t keep data on the number of children in care or staff employed in child care centers, making it hard to know whether 555 infections in children and 1,140 in staff represent troubling numbers. Child care centers have the capacity on paper to take in more than 800,000 children, according to HHSC, but many are reporting much lower enrollment numbers than normal. If child care centers are at half capacity, the 555 Texas cases represent about 0.14% of children in centers, a bit lower than the rate Oster’s survey showed.

“I worry a little bit that people ... see a number like 300 cases, and they have in their mind it’s [among] 1,000 kids,” Oster said, referring to the number of cases in children last week. “There are many things about that that are scary. But 300 cases on a base of 300,000 kids is a different thing.”

Meanwhile, much remains unknown about how the disease spreads, especially in children. Public health experts agree children are just as likely as adults to get infected with the virus, but their symptoms are more likely to be moderate or nonexistent. Research hasn’t definitively shown how likely children are to transmit the virus to other children or adults, a troubling prospect for parents and child care workers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Can you link me to that data? A quick google surfaced multiple reports that Texas DHS data showed infections in adults and children in daycare facilities(as published July 9th)

I have the same question. As of last Thursday, HHS had been notified of 2,263 reported positive cases in child care facilities. 1,528 staff and 735 children. I haven’t seen this week's numbers. 

41 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

I have the same question. As of last Thursday, HHS had been notified of 2,263 reported positive cases in child care facilities. 1,528 staff and 735 children. I haven’t seen this week's numbers. 

These re interesting if only because day care have 1 teacher to 4 kids on the low end (under 11 months) and 1 to 22(Holy shit!!) on the high end (5 years).  Splitting the baby, so to speak, that means on average 1 teacher to 13 kids.  Meaning the population of kids is 13 times higher that staff and has half the total infections.  If the staff to kid numbers were equal you'd expect almost 10k cases from day cares.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well we made the call yesterday.  Kids will be schooled at home thru the first semester at a minimum, on non-district material.  We can't meet the mandatory 0810-1525 virtual time slot while working.  Wife can teach them from 1200-1700 with some schedule readjustment, which so far her office has been cool with.  I don't know what to think about it, we were one of the only families on the street that were making time to work with our kids during the last 8 weeks or whatever it was of last semester.  How many people told us it was too much of a burden was astonishing; I feel bad for those kids.  And these are from parents that are all educated and doing pretty well generally.  My neighbor has home schooled all 3 of theirs, and even with aggy genes they are smart as a whip, so I think we can make it thru the year, and maybe even come out a bit ahead.    We narrowed it down from about 15 programs and have settled on 2.  I'm trying to talk the wife into possibly doing portions of both, or a full program and extra from the second.  Researching laptops for each kid now.  Good luck to y'all whichever way you decide. 

wrt socialization, I'm not as concerned - I'm also not downplaying it.  We've been doing more as a family than ever before (no travel for work) and they still do zooms and calls and what not with the neighborhood friends.  Hell just riding their bikes in same general 50 yrds of each other makes them pretty happy.  But they seem to understand that right now everybody is going thru some shit, and its what it is.  Until then they just get to go boating, fishing, and down to the ranch more than usual.  They still talk with the neighbor kids as we pass by on walks and whatnot, and while not nearly the same as it was 6 months ago, it's more than it was in March.  And with 3, they keep themselves pretty damn busy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

These re interesting if only because day care have 1 teacher to 4 kids on the low end (under 11 months) and 1 to 22(Holy shit!!) on the high end (5 years).  Splitting the baby, so to speak, that means on average 1 teacher to 13 kids.  Meaning the population of kids is 13 times higher that staff and has half the total infections.  If the staff to kid numbers were equal you'd expect almost 10k cases from day cares.

I agree. The numbers show that kids are testing positive at much lower rates than adults, but they make up a third of the cases in Texas daycares. Kids and teachers are gonna catch it and spread it if you put them in a building. 

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Texas Tribune I think, but they have all kinds of stories that are cluttering the search - they seem more concerned that the daycare numbers aren't being properly reported (sounds like the daycares are trying to keep the info private).  KVUE had this on July 9 (which has higher numbers than I had):

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-austin-texas-child-care-day-care-cases-update/269-49ec5dcf-d3d2-4c36-811a-59b1c1c2837b

As Texans grapple with getting child care for their kids amid a spike in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, positive COVID-19 cases at child care operations in the state have surpassed 1,700. 

This represents a 759% increase since June 15.

As of July 9, Texas Health and Human Services had been notified of 1,799 reported positive cases of COVID-19 (1,207 staff, 592 children) at 1,131 child care operations. 

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Of course, they think the same about me - I've already had a couple of people bitching this summer that I'm teaching my kids to kill because we've been fishing in Shoal Creek.  Even pointing out that we aren't eating the fish (no fucking way in hell I'd ever eat anything out of a creek in Austin).  Even pointing out that come August, most of these fish will be dead when the creek is dried up in more areas.

I'd like to see that thread on Nextdoor.

Did the Karens complain after enjoying their sushi dinner?

Edited by Deej

On 7/24/2020 at 4:04 PM, fattyflattie said:

Well we made the call yesterday.  Kids will be schooled at home thru the first semester at a minimum, on non-district material.  We can't meet the mandatory 0810-1525 virtual time slot while working.  Wife can teach them from 1200-1700 with some schedule readjustment, which so far her office has been cool with.  I don't know what to think about it, we were one of the only families on the street that were making time to work with our kids during the last 8 weeks or whatever it was of last semester.  How many people told us it was too much of a burden was astonishing; I feel bad for those kids.  And these are from parents that are all educated and doing pretty well generally.  My neighbor has home schooled all 3 of theirs, and even with aggy genes they are smart as a whip, so I think we can make it thru the year, and maybe even come out a bit ahead.    We narrowed it down from about 15 programs and have settled on 2.  I'm trying to talk the wife into possibly doing portions of both, or a full program and extra from the second.  Researching laptops for each kid now.  Good luck to y'all whichever way you decide. 

wrt socialization, I'm not as concerned - I'm also not downplaying it.  We've been doing more as a family than ever before (no travel for work) and they still do zooms and calls and what not with the neighborhood friends.  Hell just riding their bikes in same general 50 yrds of each other makes them pretty happy.  But they seem to understand that right now everybody is going thru some shit, and its what it is.  Until then they just get to go boating, fishing, and down to the ranch more than usual.  They still talk with the neighbor kids as we pass by on walks and whatnot, and while not nearly the same as it was 6 months ago, it's more than it was in March.  And with 3, they keep themselves pretty damn busy. 

Would love to know what your final two homeschool programs are.

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott just announced that he is waiving the STAAR  for moving up grades, but still have to take it, and still get graded A-F.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/07/27/staar-testing-promotion-grade-level-school-year/

That's kind of interesting.  Would love to see the forecasts he gets.

Testing companies still get paid, lobbyists will still deliver cash under the table to Abbott and his cronies, and he can bury the test results since no one will really care about them since kids won't be left behind.

• Hook 'Em 2

We are seeing daycares offering setups for older kids attending virtual classes, and offering to help/monitor them while they are doing Zoom/whatever.  That might help some parents.  

SoccerZone sent out an email with the same setup. One of the after school programs at our elementary sent out an offer for their staff to run your pod.

Now we're fucking talking.  I like to see small businesses finding ways to make some cash when things are otherwise down, and it will definitely help some parents out a ton.

I still think we're going to be hearing a lot of statements of regret regarding pods, for a number of reasons. Small businesses that typically cater to kids/families that have the space and are otherwise sitting on their thumbs now offering opportunities for kids to get help that parents may not be able to provide sounds like it could be a win/win for everyone (if handled safely of course).

Edited by Samson's Wig

7 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

sounds like it could be a win/win for everyone (if handled safely of course).

There are kids involved, it won't be handled safely.  Like the meme going around, there are going to be kids licking their hands, screaming "CORONAVIRUS" and chasing other kids around.

But it could mean some parents get back to work.

SoccerZone sent out an email with the same setup. One of the after school programs at our elementary sent out an offer for their staff to run your pod.
The Y runs a bunch of schools' after-school care programs and I heard they're going to provide during-school care... at the schools.

6 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Would love to know what your final two homeschool programs are.

I’m out of town until Friday AM, but will let you know. I can also send over the spreadsheet we used to come to see it decision (wife’s friend had put together a huge list even before the Rona hit, they were thinking about going home school)   We used the sheet to come to our own decision; in fact I don’t even know where they landed.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There are kids involved, it won't be handled safely.  Like the meme going around, there are going to be kids licking their hands, screaming "CORONAVIRUS" and chasing other kids around.

Good point.  I can see a small business that is used to running small camps/classes with 10-15 kids having a better chance of success than a public school with 1000 kids though.  They also might have more experience wrangling a group of kids than many pod monitors. 

I’m a private school administrator and had a meeting with our county’s health authority today. She said it’s just not behaving like other viruses with respect to children. It’s infinitely more likely a teacher would infect a kid rather than the other way around. Kids ARE getting the virus but they are not giving the virus. Their parents are bringing it home.

I’m a private school administrator and had a meeting with our county’s health authority today. She said it’s just not behaving like other viruses with respect to children. It’s infinitely more likely a teacher would infect a kid rather than the other way around. Kids ARE getting the virus but they are not giving the virus. Their parents are bringing it home.

Is this in a real county or a rural county?
  • Haha 1

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread as the days have gotten quite long. TEA issued a new document last night that could throw a wrench in the current reopening plans. Its tied to funding and pushes face to face instruction. At this point we don't know what it all means because it contradicts previous orders and what Abbott has said. Im 99% sure that we will be able to figure out a way to avoid it, but in person on August 18th is back on the table. At least for students without access to technology, possibly more. It also (99% unlikely) puts a push back of the start date on the table. We have purchased millions of dollars worth of technology but it won't be delivered by the start of school because every other institution is trying to do the exact same thing. The way this typically goes is: Morath and TEA puts out some onerous orders about hoops to jump through for funding, districts tell people what they actually looks like on a campus, Abbott tells TEA to stay in their lane. 

Probably not usable information for parents, but just trying to give some insight into what we are working on. Temp checks for every student were out yesterday morning but back by the evening. 

Operational procedures for running a school during covid is a complete bitch. Just getting enough staff to monitor students all day, let alone teach them anything, is going to be a challenge.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread as the days have gotten quite long. TEA issued a new document last night that could throw a wrench in the current reopening plans. Its tied to funding and pushes face to face instruction. At this point we don't know what it all means because it contradicts previous orders and what Abbott has said. Im 99% sure that we will be able to figure out a way to avoid it, but in person on August 18th is back on the table. At least for students without access to technology, possibly more. It also (99% unlikely) puts a push back of the start date on the table. We have purchased millions of dollars worth of technology but it won't be delivered by the start of school because every other institution is trying to do the exact same thing. The way this typically goes is: Morath and TEA puts out some onerous orders about hoops to jump through for funding, districts tell people what they actually looks like on a campus, Abbott tells TEA to stay in their lane. 

Probably not usable information for parents, but just trying to give some insight into what we are working on. Temp checks for every student were out yesterday morning but back by the evening. 

Operational procedures for running a school during covid is a complete bitch. Just getting enough staff to monitor students all day, let alone teach them anything, is going to be a challenge.

i assume you're talking about canvas.  they're so behind on delivery.  we're looking at a november implementation which is ridiculous.

Gsoda: chromebooks mostly. Should be able to start delivery by the end of August but the start date is the 18th. These are the issues that we are working though. Remember that TEA is stating that every parent that wants in person instruction will get it once we are required to go back. The current max of virtual is 4 weeks, with a 4 week add on. Obviously that could change based on the document that came out yesterday. 

How do we fill a classroom with students but maintain 6 feet of social distancing? 

How do we do arrival procedures that allows teachers to be in their room to welcome students but enough staff to socially distance and temp check 500+ kids?

How do teachers get a duty free lunch and conference period with everything being done in the classroom?

Basically nobody is willing to be a substitute teacher right now. What do we do when teachers are out?

If we have too many teachers that meet the requirements to stay at home and want to, what are we doing with the kids that show up?

How do we work with a person that is showing symptoms of covid without them going to the health room, where the most medically fragile students get treatment?

What do we do with students when their teacher tests positive or has had direct contact with somebody that has? Who teaches them?

Socially distancing on a bus? Lulz. 

How many teachers will quit? One AISD school had 5 quit last week. 

Passing periods for middle/high school?

Obviously the list goes on and on. 

Speaking of technology for schoolkids, has anyone heard of any way to donate technology to the school districts, for them to give to needy households that are lacking in computers for online schooling?  I always have a couple of extra computers lying around, right now I have two 5-7 year old desktops that would do just fine for the minimal web/email type stuff that most students require.  I have keyboards/mice/displays to go with them as well.  And a couple of wireless routers I no longer use since I set up my house with a mesh network a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I poked around online and didn't see anything.  I'd prefer LISD since that's my home district, but if you know of anything at RRISD or AISD I'd be happy to donate there, too.

TIA

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Speaking of technology for schoolkids, has anyone heard of any way to donate technology to the school districts, for them to give to needy households that are lacking in computers for online schooling?  I always have a couple of extra computers lying around, right now I have two 5-7 year old desktops that would do just fine for the minimal web/email type stuff that most students require.  I have keyboards/mice/displays to go with them as well.  And a couple of wireless routers I no longer use since I set up my house with a mesh network a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I poked around online and didn't see anything.  I'd prefer LISD since that's my home district, but if you know of anything at RRISD or AISD I'd be happy to donate there, too.

TIA

Probably too risky for them to accept your porn-ridden wanker machines.  😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Probably too risky for them to accept your porn-ridden wanker machines.  😂

You're probably right.  Not even a full HDD wipe and re-image can remove some of the stuff that no doubt jumped on there from the other site... 

Re: yesterday's drama from OAG and TEA: I think the workaround on AG new guidance is to not rely on local powers in the Health and Safety Code and instead a home rule city passes an ordinance. Maybe the OOG can exempt statutes (itself now dubious under new SC dicta) but unless a law specifically is written to supersede local ordinance, cities can usually do whatver they want for health, safety, and welfare. Maybe there is something in the Education Code that would preempt that, I dunno.

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I said that in jest, but one of my friends who refurbished computers as a hobby said, well, he has seen some shit. 

I'm assuming any such donation would be wiped and re-imaged with the district's image, but yeah, I can imagine.

The two I have lying around were my kids' computers so I'm hopeful that there's nothing bad on there, but my 10yo son is a chip off the ol' block, so you never know... :)

11 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread as the days have gotten quite long. TEA issued a new document last night that could throw a wrench in the current reopening plans. Its tied to funding and pushes face to face instruction. At this point we don't know what it all means because it contradicts previous orders and what Abbott has said. Im 99% sure that we will be able to figure out a way to avoid it, but in person on August 18th is back on the table. At least for students without access to technology, possibly more. It also (99% unlikely) puts a push back of the start date on the table.

Are you talking about this:

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/a-slap-in-the-face-educators-association-says-of-ag-paxtons-limits-on-local-health-officials-power-to-close-schools/

But Attorney General Ken Paxton’s announcement on Tuesday — that local health officials don’t have the power to keep schools closed — is causing confusion and fear about the rest of the semester.

But the Attorney General is now saying local health authorities can’t order closures like that.

In response, the Texas Education Agency announced districts that remain closed solely based on local health authorities’ orders will risk losing state funding.

The TEA’s guidance still includes, though, a section that says schools can use the first four weeks as a transition period and do remote learning. A board vote can lead to four additional weeks of that “transition period.”

This is what happens when Karens run things.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Gsoda: chromebooks mostly. Should be able to start delivery by the end of August but the start date is the 18th. These are the issues that we are working though. Remember that TEA is stating that every parent that wants in person instruction will get it once we are required to go back. The current max of virtual is 4 weeks, with a 4 week add on. Obviously that could change based on the document that came out yesterday. 

How do we fill a classroom with students but maintain 6 feet of social distancing? 

How do we do arrival procedures that allows teachers to be in their room to welcome students but enough staff to socially distance and temp check 500+ kids?

How do teachers get a duty free lunch and conference period with everything being done in the classroom?

Basically nobody is willing to be a substitute teacher right now. What do we do when teachers are out?

If we have too many teachers that meet the requirements to stay at home and want to, what are we doing with the kids that show up?

How do we work with a person that is showing symptoms of covid without them going to the health room, where the most medically fragile students get treatment?

What do we do with students when their teacher tests positive or has had direct contact with somebody that has? Who teaches them?

The logistics of opening are a nightmare. I don't think there are any real villains here, but those who are insisting we open up should answer these questions. They just haven't thought it through.  I'd like to see us open, but it's just not that simple.  Opening where it is just teachers babysitting your kid doing online work while trying to teach online themselves is just not a good option, but it appears to be where we are headed.

Edited by JohnLocke
  • Like 1

Yeah buddy. That’s what I’ve been saying- it’s logistically fundamentally impossible to do all that. 
what’s the typical classroom- something like 500 square feet?  When I had 28 student desks and a teachers desk that shit didn’t fit but barely 2 foot

wide aisles and the front of one desk would touch the back chair in front of

it. If you want to vibe everyone 6 feet on every side that means you fit what?  10

desks in a room?  12?  Something like that. 
so, there’s your new class size to fit the rooms. Completely unworkable. And that’s the easiest problem you mentioned to fix. 

Our isd just released their protocols. I agree with the vast vast majority of the protocols. Not sure how any of that shit actually gets enforced, but the docs say the right things imo. In person ed is going to be a total shit show, but we already knew that. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18