Happy Juneteenth Horn Fans!

FORTY NINE TO ZERO

7 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

General election, primary election, run off elections, municipal elections, special elections . . . ?  

General (that's what most countries now have -- primaries are a uniquely american thing).  Not sure how they address runoffs.

Happy Juneteeth! I found out that it is a tradition to eat and drink red foods. So I bought a Big Red soda for the first time in decades. I may get the Beetus but I am going to drink a Texas made drink on a Texas made holiday.  

There is a New Yorker article, Growing Up with Juneteenth by Annette Gordon-Reed that provides insight on why this day is important. I can't link it right now but read it if you get the chance. And have some watermelon or red cool aid to celbrate the day. Or Big Red if you are brave enough.

Edited by burntorangebongos
got to a device that I could link to twitter.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I would show up to work. I’m not not working because of an election between Donald Fucking Trump and Joe Fucking Biden. It’d be like taking a forced day to watch re-runs of Idiocracy all day. 

I’d happily enjoy a day off while other people go vote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In response to the changing times, my firm made Juneteenth a company holiday this week so I'm "off" today. Still getting some things done as this was kind of sprung on everybody but I will be shutting down early for sure. We are also making MLK a company holiday moving forward.

25 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Happy Juneteeth! I found out that it is a tradition to eat and drink red foods. So I bought a Big Red soda for the first time in decades. I may get the Beetus but I am going to drink a Texas made drink on a Texas made holiday.  

There is a New Yorker article, Growing Up with Juneteenth by Annette Gordon-Reed that provides insight on why this day is important. I can't link it right now but read it if you get the chance. And have some watermelon or red cool aid to celbrate the day. Or Big Red if you are brave enough.

Gotcha fam

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/06/29/juneteenth-and-the-meaning-of-freedom/amp

Thread going about how I expected. 

37 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I would show up to work. I’m not not working because of an election between Donald Fucking Trump and Joe Fucking Biden. It’d be like taking a forced day to watch re-runs of Idiocracy all day. 

Wow you are just literally so cool and edgy man. 

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

In response to the changing times, my firm made Juneteenth a company holiday this week so I'm "off" today. Still getting some things done as this was kind of sprung on everybody but I will be shutting down early for sure. We are also making MLK a company holiday moving forward.

Yup, my CA based firm announced this is now a company holiday.  The CEO found out about Juneteenth about 3 days before his announcement.  He actually said "I was having lunch with my black friend and he educated me on the importance of Juneteenth".  

56 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I kinda miss Big Red. 

I'll always remember learning about Juneteenth as a non-Texan. I was 13 years old in the mid-90's, and visiting my Aunt and Uncle near Giddings, and we got brisket out of a shed that a guy my uncle worked with had made to celebrate it. It was the first brisket I had as that particular piece of barbecue culture had not made it north to the beef state yet in significant amounts. The experience left quite an impression on me. 

• Like 1

Im a sales rep assigned to the Philly area... lets just say that the folks I have been talking with today had never heard of Juneteenth until last week and leave it at that.   

They are getting a bit pissy because multiple companies suddenly announced it as a holiday this week and lots of grumbling from the City of Brotherly Love who we all know,  dont have a racist thought in their collective brains......

Edited by AUS-97HORN

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

At least Idiocracy is entertaining -- though depressing that so much of seems to be turning into reality right in front of our very eyes.

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

All for making any Texas holiday a national holiday, and particularly this one.  Until recently I was not aware that there was a great amount of familiarity with Juneteenth outside of the state of Texas. 

See I didn't realize people didn't know about it until recently.

We had BBQ yesterday. They wanted ‘soul food’ but I had to explain why that wouldn’t look good. In not so nice terms. So we settled on patronizing an African American business. Progress, lol.

Maybe I missed it before but this year a lot more people seem to be talking about the holiday. Even on Surly.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, Royalfan5 said:

I'll always remember learning about Juneteenth as a non-Texan. I was 13 years old in the mid-90's, and visiting my Aunt and Uncle near Giddings, and we got brisket out of a shed that a guy my uncle worked with had made to celebrate it. It was the first brisket I had as that particular piece of barbecue culture had not made it north to the beef state yet in significant amounts. The experience left quite an impression on me. 

When I moved to Giddings for work in 1967, the beer joint across the street from the newly integrated elementary school still had separate signed entrances for “white” & “colored”.

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

When I moved to Giddings for work in 1967, the beer joint across the street from the newly integrated elementary school still had separate signed entrances for “white” & “colored”.

I can’t say I’m surprised by that. 

Yeah it always kills me that people believe segregation turned on a dime. Immediately following the Montgomery bus boycotts and after the resulting court case ended violence rained down. Rosa Parks had to leave the city, MLK was shot at, churches were bombed, a little black girl was beaten, and a pregnant woman was shot at. All within a month or so of the boycott ending. The violence was so much and so sustained that black people didn't start sitting anywhere besides the back of the bus until the 70s in Montgomery. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Don’t patronize me. Even if you mean well.

Fair enough.

It does raise an Interesting observation, though. We have observed at various times cinco de Mayo, Norwegian constitution day, Argentine independence, and others...enjoying culturally appropriate foods.

I love making a pot of neckbones and gravy over rice with some greens. Or yes, fried chicken, greens, and cold watermelon. But man...I wouldn’t dream of serving that on Juneteenth. I love the idea of supporting a black owned business on that day, but there’s no way I would prep and serve those things myself then. Because it’s different.

Now, I’d gladly accept an invitation to a. Juneteenth celebration, and consume all those things there....but it ain’t my party to throw.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Don’t patronize me. Even if you mean well.

Yeah, just naive. After reading Brisket's post it made more sense. I do disagree with his last sentence, I don't think it's anyone person's to throw. I think it's everyone's celebration that everyone was freed. Y'all can disagree, and y'all have the right.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, Brisketexan said:

Oh, we definitely need another holiday: election day.  A lot of countries do this, we should as well.

The problem with this is that the bi-annual Federal Election Day is set by the constitution.  Every 2 years on the Tuesday after the first Monday of November for U.S. House, whichever of Senate Class I/II/III, and POTUS/VPOTUS when appropriate.  That's it, after that...it's fucking shitshow for elections from state to state.  And that's fine, it should be up to them.  But this argument in Texas is mostly bullshit.  I'm anxious as hell for insanely high voter turnout this November, but an Election day holiday (which would only occur every 2 or 4 years, mind you...there's no need for it in odd-numbered years, maybe not even in mid-term election cycles) is unnecessary in many states.  

In Texas you have almost two full weeks to Early Vote, including one Saturday.  7am-7pm.  That's 144 hours, or 9 full waking days (16 hours/day) to get to the polls for 10 minutes.  Texas pulls some shit to suppress voting in certain places and with certain groups, but amount of time to access the polls is not the issue.  But there are some states where early voting is a joke, or non-existent.  In that case...I would say that state should have a state holiday.  Lots of states have ridiculous days off for much less impactful shit.  Growing up in Chicago, we got Casmir Pulaski day off for fuck's sakes.  Yes, his contributions to the American Revolution and Polish heritage are important, but not as important as the continued suppression of minority voters in/around Chicago.  /rant

Yeah, just naive. After reading Brisket's post it made more sense. I do disagree with his last sentence, I don't think it's anyone person's to throw. I think it's everyone's celebration that everyone was freed. Y'all can disagree, and y'all have the right.

And it should be a celebration for everyone.

My problem was that I have been there for 5 years and we have never observed the holiday in any form. And then you decide to do it with soul food..just a lil too much.

It’s like the port of Houston shutting down in honor of George Floyd from noon until one. Which just happened to be 90% of the workforce’s lunch time.

6 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

And it should be a celebration for everyone.

My problem was that I have been there for 5 years and we have never observed the holiday in any form. And then you decide to do it with soul food..just a lil too much.

It’s like the port of Houston shutting down in honor of George Floyd from noon until one. Which just happened to be 90% of the workforce’s lunch time.

Ahhh.  I was confused, too, as I read "we" and "they" in your post to mean family/friends, rather than co-workers.  I get it now.

My grandmother's birthday was on Juneteenth and we always remembered the day in that context as well as her birthday.  She was like that.  I've always found it a bit ignominious for Texans, though, as if it were (and I think it probably was) hidden from the emancipated and not just a matter of slow communications.  But I guess the whole slavery thing kind of swallows that ignominy.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

And then you decide to do it with soul food..just a lil too much.

But....see my counterpoint: soul food is delicious.  And actually, for a lot of us who grew up with an at least somewhat demographically mixed childhood, we actually grew up eating some of that stuff with friends, co-workers, etc., and it's not just a "let's do it on this day" sort of thing.  But it's also a sensitive subject, and a day that maybe should get some more acknowledgment. And yes, while it is a day that the WHOLE COUNTRY should celebrate, because ending slavery is a big damned deal....it's also a day in which I'm going to be deferential to the voices of those descended from slaves.  I think that not trying to take over and run shit is something the majority should do more often.

Again, I repeat, if anyone wants to invite us to their Juneteenth shindig, I promise to bring something to eat that won't embarrass us, and I'll appreciate the hell out of everything else you serve, I guarantee it.*

* Made me recall a joint MLK day service we did years ago....shared with an AME church, and a PCUSA (so, pretty white and liberal) church.  And we did a joint potluck afterward.  It was as hilarious as you would imagine.  The Presbyterians brought casseroles, and crudites, and cookies.  The AME folks...brought multiple kinds of barbecue, fried chicken, grits, rice and gravy....it was GLORIOUS.  What I remember most is heading back for seconds of some of the best grits I have ever eaten.  Our Presbyterian pastor was right in front of me in line.  He lifted up the spoon, containing the last serving of grits. As I stared at him, he just smiled and said "sorry, Brisket," and scooped them onto his plate.  I couldn't even get mad at him.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:11 AM, Xian said:

Happy Juneteenth Horn fans and everyone else here as well.  

now let’s make this a national holiday. 

I have never felt like this until this year.  If that's fucked up on my part, I accept it.

It needs to happen.  It's too important.

• Like 1