Classic bands who would play today

Sbbruin

I think about this all the time.  Mostly because most new music to me sucks.  I love classic rock.  But imagine bands and their songs coming out right now versus when they did.  How would they be received? I think ones that would might be:

- Pink Floyd

- Elton John

-  James Taylor (great songwriters are great songwriters)

there’s a million others but curious what others think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Zep was one I think most certainly would not, at least relative to their ginormous Success in the 70s. Eagles?  Not sure.  With country rock being so popular, maybe.

I think the Eagles would fly.  I think Henley's been accused of being a pedo, but their actual songs aren't particularly "problematic".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Mostly because most new music to me sucks.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

But imagine bands and their songs coming out right now versus when they did.  How would they be received? I think ones that would might be:

- Pink Floyd

- Elton John

-  James Taylor

Also agreed that these three artists would be favorably received by today’s audiences which, as you note above, enjoy music that sucks.

• Like 2

Zep would be lucky to rise to a position of opening for Greta Van Fleet today.  Love em, still listen to them and study their music, but there is not a modern audience for them.

Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and anything else you might classify as 70s southern rock would stand a good shot to make today’s country charts.  Ironically, the Allman Brothers (my fave of the bunch) might not.  Too much fusion and extended jams.

I think a lot of Neil Young’s catalog would be relevant today.

Edited by Goredho

I think if Zep had never existed, and you just dropped that first album out there today, it would still be big. 

They wouldn't be opening for Greta Van Fleet, because Greta Van Fleet wouldn't have had Zep to rip off. 

• Like 2

Just to be clear, are we talking "would their albums be well received if they were new today" (like, maybe more modern recordings but substantively the same music) or, a modern version of these bands would still cut through and be heard?

Second list is way longer than the first.

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

This would rock pretty well today...

So awesome.  So the rumor is he put hits of acid in his headband and as he sweat it absorbed. Probably bullshit but I like to think it’s true.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Goredho said:

Zep would be lucky to rise to a position of opening for Greta Van Fleet today.  Love em, still listen to them and study their music, but there is not a modern audience for them.

Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and anything else you might classify as 70s southern rock would stand a good shot to make today’s country charts.  Ironically, the Allman Brothers (my fave of the bunch) might not.  Too much fusion and extended jams.

bullshit. Today's country charts are all about 4x4's, mud tires, moonshine, etc.   If the Eagles and Skynyrd were made up of musicians with Down's Syndrome, they'd almost certainly be on the charts today.  

If guys with Down's all wore tight jeans, of course. 

• Haha 1

For Pink Floyd, maybe some of the hits off of Dark Side would be popular, but the 15+ minute songs on WYWH and Animals and the concept of The Wall would be a tough sell to the masses. They’d probably have a niche following at festivals. Plus, Roger Waters would probably get into 100 Twitter  fights a day with fans and critics. 

On 6/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, Celery Man said:

Just to be clear, are we talking "would their albums be well received if they were new today" (like, maybe more modern recordings but substantively the same music) or, a modern version of these bands would still cut through and be heard?

Second list is way longer than the first.

What's an album?

On 6/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, Goredho said:

Surly would lose it's shit if someone posted Allman Bros (also my fave) in the Isbell thread. 

• Haha 1