This is Texas. A Modern Texas. What Is A Ranch?

ROFL BOX

11 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

We're less than you for my place & the Chicken Ranch on their own, but combined (even though 1 mile apart) is more than yours.  & While I don't prefer the "ette" part, it's livable.  Certainly enough that friends from HS seem to think we're 1%ers.

Call it whatever you want, they’re the folks that don’t have it.   

• Like 1

Can someone help relate a Californian-kid what the fuck an acre is?  Like...how many football fields make up an acre?

I know UT campus is supposed called the 40 acres but I'm not sure if it's merely a historical label while the actual campus shrunk or swelled

• Like 1

Just now, 52-80 said:

Can someone help relate a Californian-kid what the fuck an acre is?  Like...how many football fields make up an acre?

I know UT campus is supposed called the 40 acres but I'm not sure if it's merely a historical label while the actual campus shrunk or swelled

A football field with the end zones included is right about one acre.

• Like 3

4840 square yards or 43,560 square feet
  • Like 1

I’m not a rural guy at all, but I would classify land holdings as follows:

1-5 acres:  a few acres.  “We have a little place on a few acres by the river.”

5-20 acres:  a little bit of land.  “We have a little bit of land about 45 minutes east of town.”

20-50 acres:  some land.  “Our family has some land in East Texas.

50-200 acres:  a decent chunk of land.  “My grandparents left us a decent chunk of land in West Texas.”

200+ acres can be whatever you want to call it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Leader in the clubhouse.

Lol. My dad started buying land there in the 1970’s through the mid-1980’s. He’d buy 100 acres there, a couple hundred more every couple of paychecks. I hate that he died so young (62) and never really got to retire and enjoy it. It’s between 6-7 square miles so a little over 4,000 acres. It’s a special place and I wish I had the opportunity to visit more than I do. I’ve often thought about moving back up there quite a bit lately. It was part of a state park (there is an actually dripping springs in the canyon) as well as the concrete remnants of the first Boy Scout camp west of the Mississippi. Tons and tons of arrowheads out there. It’s part of the Charles Goodnight trail/history. TAMUWT came out in the 1980s to take impressions of dinosaur tracks there also. Like i said, I really miss it. But with the pandemic, I personally don’t have the ability to go out and live there full time. Though I would actually love to. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Those pictures are making me break that commandment about coveting.  Damn, that's beautiful. 

Thank you! If you’ve ever seen the very end of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (where they are riding off into the sunset) that was filmed near our ranch (it borders ours). I wish I had more pictures on this phone but I don’t. Thanks. I really wish financially it were feasible for me to be out there more than I am. Maybe some day. I took a picture of a picture for the view again. If y’all don’t mind me, my brother mom and dad in it. Lol. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

If you decide that you need someone to pick up rocks and arrowheads, let me know.  That looks like a great place to rockhound.

Will do. I used to spend hours out there with my cousin Tara and we’d come back to the house with like 5-10 arrowheads a piece. Had to wear those snake boots though. 

• Like 1

If you decide that you need someone to pick up rocks and arrowheads, let me know.  That looks like a great place to rockhound.

It does. Definitely covet.

And Nicole, my wife would understand if we ran away together. Because she knows how much I love land as sexy as that. I mean, you look quite cute, too...but dat land....
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It does. Definitely covet.

And Nicole, my wife would understand if we ran away together. Because she knows how much I love land as sexy as that. I mean, you look quite cute, too...but dat land....

Even money her brother whoops yo ass.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The acre is a unit of land area used in the imperial and US customary systems. It is traditionally defined as the area of one chain by one furlong, which is exactly equal to 10 square chains.

• Like 1

I’m too big of a dork lol. Plus, y’all mostly have hot wives and such. You’d be sad if you left them. It would be a cool place to meet up with a bunch of people from surly though. I’ve haven’t had a bunch of peeps out there in a while. 

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m too big of a dork lol. Plus, y’all mostly have hot wives and such. You’d be sad if you left them. It would be a cool place to meet up with a bunch of people from surly though. I’ve haven’t had a bunch of peeps out there in a while. 

We’re also all lawyers. Not the shitty ones, we’re  like the cool corporate ones.

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Does it border Mexico? I have always wanted to swim into Mexico.

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

Nope it’s in the Panhandle (outside of Amarillo where I understand they had some hail/rain today so hope the ranch at least got a 1/2 inch or inch). If you know how to use the google maps it’s approximately 11.97 miles from Claude off of 207. Just look for the orange and white cattle guard/gate that says Dripping Springs Canyon Ranch then follow the road to the canyon and you can see the house etc....my brother really wouldn’t whoop asses. He’s a good shot though. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I wish I could buy a couple hundred acres every other paycheck.

Me too. Ofcourse that was in the mid 70’s through the mid 80’s and the acres he bought were from two families of olds mostly who didn’t drive a hard bargain and liked my dad and were keen to move away and closer to family. 

9 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

The Southern fork of the Red River (called Prairie Dog Fork or some such) runs through Palo Duro Canyon. You can start swimming there, but you would end up heading more east than south. When you get to the border with OK, you would join up with the North Fork and enter the Red River proper, travel along the Texas-OK border, have to portage around the Denison Dam at the end of Lake Texoma, head through southwest Arkansas, down into Shreveport in Louisiana, end up in the Mississippi, and then into the Gulf of Mexico. But I guess you could eventually end up in Mexico the country.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The Southern fork of the Red River (called Prairie Dog Fork or some such) runs through Palo Duro Canyon. You can start swimming there, but you would end up heading more east than south. When you get to the border with OK, you would join up with the North Fork and enter the Red River proper, travel along the Texas-OK border, have to portage around the Denison Dam at the end of Lake Texoma, head through southwest Arkansas, down into Shreveport in Louisiana, end up in the Mississippi, and then into the Gulf of Mexico. But I guess you could eventually end up in Mexico the country.

That seems like a lot of work.