This is Texas. A Modern Texas. What Is A Ranch?

ROFL BOX

I'm about to buy about 10 acres in the mountains in Idaho with riverfront and lake views. It will be within 10mi of a resort town, but I plan to have an apple orchard on it and maybe a horse. Is it just a home, a vacation home, or a farm?

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:46 PM, StruggleBus said:

Whatever you need to tell yourself

We arent too far from Nicole44. I'd kill to have acreage on the canyon like that. We run a little more than 15,000 acres. As I said, in West Texas some people think thats big and others not so much. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Caddox said:

We arent too far from Nicole44. I'd kill to have acreage on the canyon like that. We run a little more than 15,000 acres. As I said, in West Texas some people think thats big and others not so much. 

I was making a small dick joke. Apparently it wasn’t very funny

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'm about to buy about 10 acres in the mountains in Idaho with riverfront and lake views. It will be within 10mi of a resort town, but I plan to have an apple orchard on it and maybe a horse. Is it just a home, a vacation home, or a farm?

Hobby farm

• Like 1

I grew up the first 27 years ranching. If you have over 500 acres and most of it is in pasture land, and a crop is not your primary source of income derived, you have a "ranch. If you have under 500 acres, you have a "place". If you have acreage that the primary income comes from a crop, you have a "farm". Thats the way it was always described where I grew up.

CHIEF

• Like 2

This is a touchy subject, and I totally get the multiple viewpoints.  It's funny how vernacular can cause a tiff.  

We have a little under 300 acres in Kimble County.  No livestock.  Just hunting and generally messing around when we're out there.  When talking to my kids or friends we call it "the ranch" as in "we may head out to the ranch this weekend".  That's just how it started when we bought the place and it's stuck.  When I'm talking to anyone else, I'm cognizant about not referring to it as a ranch.  Because it isn't.  There's no ranching happening out there.  It's a fun place to hang out, shoot guns, look at the stars and have a campfire, but it's not a ranch.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Armybrat said:

A kid I graduated high school with was a son of the East Ranch family in South Texas. 130,000 acres or so. Now that’s a ranch!

Our place shares a few miles of fence with Mary Nan West's place.  Her family had a shitload of land in South Texas.  He spread was around 40,000 acres.  She died years ago.  Place is being cut up and sold.

16 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I grew up the first 27 years ranching. If you have over 500 acres and most of it is in pasture land, and a crop is not your primary source of income derived, you have a "ranch. If you have under 500 acres, you have a "place". If you have acreage that the primary income comes from a crop, you have a "farm". Thats the way it was always described where I grew up.

CHIEF

This is the correct answer. If you make your money on livestock its a ranch, if you make your money on cash crops its a farm. "Ranches" may still grow crops but typically its supplemental feed/silage for the cows. 

On 6/21/2020 at 9:40 AM, RollLeft said:

I to am of the opinion that a landowner should be able to call it whatever he/she wants, with pride.  I'm not bothered by a 1 acre "Ranch" with a single cow.  I'd rather share in their pride than criticize.  I wish more people had a piece of land and worked it or raised something or at least shared their land with people who have never experienced that life.  I think this world would be better for it.   Our family owns a few hectares.

Working the land does bring a sense of purpose and pride.  Simply cutting brush, mowing / shredding, putting up / repairing fences, etc. is real work that will develop a sense of appreciation for the land.  I can't agree with RL more.  

Now...about these hectares?  Is your family place in the Outback of Australia?

22 hours ago, Bevo said:

Sounds like a slice of heaven you should call whatever you want. 

• Like 1

A piece of ground used primarily for livestock production via grazing is a ranch, IMO.  The definition doesn't come down to size, but how the land is being used.

There aren't a ton here (north Iowa) as almost all possible tillable ground is in crop production, but there are a handful.  Every place that gets called a ranch is a contiguous piece of land where cattle graze.  The biggest one in my area is a full section (640 acres) that has some corn ground on it, which is just fed out in the winter as silage.  The cattle graze the stalks post-harvest.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Working the land does bring a sense of purpose and pride.  Simply cutting brush, mowing / shredding, putting up / repairing fences, etc. is real work that will develop a sense of appreciation for the land.  I can't agree with RL more.  

Now...about these hectares?  Is your family place in the Outback of Australia?

Messico

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Texas Farm Credit, they are hungry and advertise a shitload on our local "Red Dirt" station.

CHIEF

We've worked with Farm Credit for 25 years or so, and they've been great.  It's not technically the same group (our branch covers Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming), but they're related and should be awfully similar in terms of customer service and rates.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We've worked with Farm Credit for 25 years or so, and they've been great.  It's not technically the same group (our branch covers Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming), but they're related and should be awfully similar in terms of customer service and rates.

okay cool, they have a branch where I'm looking.  this is great.

actually is central texas farm credit and texas farm credit the same bank?

Edited by troph

10 minutes ago, troph said:

10 minutes ago, troph said:

@Armybrat has a kid (the one that didn't try to sever his leg clean off) in the business.   Paging Mr. Ar-mee-brat to the Burnt Orange Courtesy Phone.

1 hour ago, troph said:

As Roflbox mentioned, my son is with Farm Credit of Texas. The central bank in Austin located next to the Pennybacker Bridge.

They oversee the FC system in several states. Do you want to buy the Waggoner? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

No clue, but the Texas Farm Credit website uses a similar format and logo (the green leaf) that Farm Credit Services of America (our branch) does.  

I just checked the Central Texas Farm Credit website and they appear to be part of the Farm Credit system as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

As Roflbox mentioned, my son is with Farm Credit of Texas. The central bank in Austin located next to the Pennybacker Bridge.

They oversee the FC system in several states. Do you want to buy the Waggoner? 

Does your son Familiar with CRP? 
we have this massive wheat field that we grew with no pesticides or any other agent. Hence, why we still have a lot of these TCU mascots (pic below) that according to Texas Monthly are basically extinct. 

09935738-2847-403B-884D-BCA555B51B75.jpeg

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We used to have a similar sized spread along the highway to Parral in Chihuahua.  Sold it all back in the 80s when my grandfather got too sick to keep it.

That sucks man, sorry to hear.  My great grandfather entrusted my grandmother, the eldest, and his youngest son with caring for things.  It will be interesting to see how things continue.  My family was in Saltillo from 1590's until 1880's, direct line same last name, until my great great great grandfather moved to the current place. Apparently for love.   Fortunately the family name continues thru my cousins.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

That sucks man, sorry to hear.  My great grandfather entrusted my grandmother, the eldest, and his youngest son with caring for things.  It will be interesting to see how things continue.  My family was in Saltillo from 1590's until 1880's, direct line same last name, until my great great great grandfather moved to the current place.  Apparently for love.  

"Invicta"

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Does your son Familiar with CRP? 
we have this massive wheat field that we grew with no pesticides or any other agent. Hence, why we still have a lot of these TCU mascots (pic below) that according to Texas Monthly are basically extinct. 

09935738-2847-403B-884D-BCA555B51B75.jpeg

Miss those toads.

I have no idea if his bank is involved in that program, but undoubtedly is aware of it.

He is the vice president & manager of the Association’s Direct Lending Unit and is responsible for the bank’s portfolio of loan purchases from association banks. He is in his 30th year with that bank.

40 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No clue, but the Texas Farm Credit website uses a similar format and logo (the green leaf) that Farm Credit Services of America (our branch) does.  

I just checked the Central Texas Farm Credit website and they appear to be part of the Farm Credit system as well.

Yes they are.