This is Texas. A Modern Texas. What Is A Ranch?

ROFL BOX

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Miss those toads.

I have no idea if his bank is involved in that program, but undoubtedly is aware of it.

He is the vice president & manager of the Association’s Direct Lending Unit and is responsible for the bank’s portfolio of loan purchases from association banks. He is in his 30th year with that bank.

That’s badass. Well, if he is aware, have him contact me. I’d be interested. 

yeah those horned frogs/toads are basically endangered. They are all over our ranch.

My dad was a proud member of the horny toad (insert joke here) conservation society. Not kidding. Sorry for all the brag pics and such about the ranch. Felt the need to post.

Yesterday was Father’s Day (I hope it was a good one for all of y’all), and then in July it’s his birthday. And October marks the end of his life.

When this topic of ranch/farm came up, I wanted to share because outside of providing for our family, my dad basically spent his money on hunting (y’all saw his kills/ but he hiked with the guides and slept in tents etc...) oil paintings, Winchester rifles (113 of them) and land. I’ve mentioned before he bought the land a couple hundred acres at a time in between paychecks on that ranch.

For twenty years, we had cattle. A lot. Some of the It was a time and money suck. My dad was a pathologist but had no mind for business. Some of the calves, we raised bottle-fed in our backyard in Amarillo. 

sorry. TLDR: the article explains it.

https://interactives.dallasnews.com/2018/the-disappearing-horny-toad/

• Like 4

On 6/19/2020 at 5:14 PM, NorthLoop said:

Our family ranch is 1200 acres in Jack county. By the time I inherit my chunk will be about 100-200. I'll still probably call it the ranch cuz that's just what we call it even if all the other grandkids sell their pieces off. It is sustainable as we lease it for cattle and own the mineral rights, but no family members actually "work" it at this point.

Similar situation here but my dad has already sold a majority of the property to my cousin. My uncle's ranch was adjacent to my dad's and my cousin is a rancher not a hobbyist. I don't mind since it's all family land and it will stay that way for another generation. I'll end up with a slice but my dad is really opposed to hunting on the land so either I blow off his wishes or just sell it off.

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s badass. Well, if he is aware, have him contact me. I’d be interested. 

yeah those horned frogs/toads are basically endangered. They are all over our ranch.

My dad was a proud member of the horny toad (insert joke here) conservation society. Not kidding. Sorry for all the brag pics and such about the ranch. Felt the need to post.

Yesterday was Father’s Day (I hope it was a good one for all of y’all), and then in July it’s his birthday. And October marks the end of his life.

When this topic of ranch/farm came up, I wanted to share because outside of providing for our family, my dad basically spent his money on hunting (y’all saw his kills/ but he hiked with the guides and slept in tents etc...) oil paintings, Winchester rifles (113 of them) and land. I’ve mentioned before he bought the land a couple hundred acres at a time in between paychecks on that ranch.

For twenty years, we had cattle. A lot. Some of the It was a time and money suck. My dad was a pathologist but had no mind for business. Some of the calves, we raised bottle-fed in our backyard in Amarillo. 

sorry. TLDR: the article explains it.

https://interactives.dallasnews.com/2018/the-disappearing-horny-toad/

Your old man sounds like a helluva guy.

We raised fighting bulls, my grandfather's passion.  Most of the hunting there was for desert cottontails, some dove and quail.  And man, did we have the horny toads back in the day.  They were bigger than the ones I grew up seeing in South Texas.  Used to love catching them and playing with them for the day.

Ranch house had no electricity.  Chilly well water, propane heat, stove, and fridge.  I thought it was the greatest place in the world when I was a kid.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Interested in him? He’s happily married. 😉

Your dad sounds like Like he was quite a man. Props to pops. 

Lulz. Just in Ag advice. I meant. Not trolling for guys. 

and yeah, my dad burnt all of his UT stuff in the driveway after UT lost to Arkansas. Set it all in fire. Ashes man. Not sure how he’d feel about “the Eyes of Texas” going away/potentially. I don’t know how old you are but he was at UT when Farrah Fawcett was there and he always would say, “Prettiest woman I ever saw up close (until I met your mom).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

and yeah, my dad burnt all of his UT stuff in the driveway after UT lost to Arkansas. Set it all in fire. Ashes man. Not sure how he’d feel about “the Eyes of Texas” going away/potentially. I don’t know how old you are but he was at UT when Farrah Fawcett was there and he always would say, “Prettiest woman I ever saw up close (until I met your mom).

45 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

That sucks man, sorry to hear.  My great grandfather entrusted my grandmother, the eldest, and his youngest son with caring for things.  It will be interesting to see how things continue.  My family was in Saltillo from 1590's until 1880's, direct line same last name, until my great great great grandfather moved to the current place. Apparently for love.   Fortunately the family name continues thru my cousins.  

Did they have bedbugs?  

Just now, Nicole44 said:

To what? 

Do you happen to recognize what that "Shagism" means?

Example:  Crash Davis usually posts pics & links to car crashes, thus "User ID checks out".

Avatar would be BDR with the avatar looking up & R, appears to be looking @ the post, etc.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Farrah got there after my time. I dated one of her Corpus Christi Ray HS friends one summer in Monterrey. She married a South Texas oilman (Smart girl) and became a well to do portrait photographer in Austin.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Farrah got there after my time. I dated one of her Corpus Christi Ray HS friends one summer in Monterrey. She married a South Texas oilman (Smart girl) and became a well to do portrait photographer in Austin.

But thought you were super old. ?

CRP is a government program that pays you to take farmland out of production and put back into native prairie. Your local USDA center could help you out and get started.

You can possibly enroll existing grassland too.

When CRP hit $300/acre up here a few years back, we put a fair chunk of ground into it. I know guys who put entire 240 acre parcels into it. Nice reliable income stream.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I wonder I I could do that with my 25 acre patch in Travis County and still keep my ag exemption.

I believe CRP acres are still considered cropland by the USDA.  I was just totalling up some acres off certification maps today and noticed that the CRP acres were part of the total cropland listed for each parcel.

25 acres is definitely enough.  We have CRP contracts for less than an acre on a farm where my uncle put grass strips along windmill servicing roads.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Your old man sounds like a helluva guy.

We raised fighting bulls, my grandfather's passion.  Most of the hunting there was for desert cottontails, some dove and quail.  And man, did we have the horny toads back in the day.  They were bigger than the ones I grew up seeing in South Texas.  Used to love catching them and playing with them for the day.

Ranch house had no electricity.  Chilly well water, propane heat, stove, and fridge.  I thought it was the greatest place in the world when I was a kid.

Of my 23 years in Texas, I've never seen a horny toad.

18 hours ago, F250 said:

Similar situation here but my dad has already sold a majority of the property to my cousin. My uncle's ranch was adjacent to my dad's and my cousin is a rancher not a hobbyist. I don't mind since it's all family land and it will stay that way for another generation. I'll end up with a slice but my dad is really opposed to hunting on the land so either I blow off his wishes or just sell it off.

@NorthLoop  Who is your family in Jack Co?  My mother's family was from there originally though not on the farming/ranching side of things.  But I grew up in Young Co.   I think I've asked you this before (maybe on the other site/different ID?  

Edited by hullabelew

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I believe CRP acres are still considered cropland by the USDA.  I was just totalling up some acres off certification maps today and noticed that the CRP acres were part of the total cropland listed for each parcel.

25 acres is definitely enough.  We have CRP contracts for less than an acre on a farm where my uncle put grass strips along windmill servicing roads.

Hmmmm, we have a patch of 35+ acres I've been needing to do something with.  

7 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

From what the old man says, fire ants and wild hogs are primarily the reason for the decline in horny toads.  Same with the quail population.  Really sad.  

Heard the same.  They're so neat.  Always look pissed.  No matter the age.  

13 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

From what the old man says, fire ants and wild hogs are primarily the reason for the decline in horny toads.  Same with the quail population.  Really sad.  

Haven't heard the wild hogs part, but fire ants definitely kill them. We had tons of them in Wise County until the mid 80's when they suddenly disappeared and fire ant mounds took over the fields.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, 52-80 said:

Can someone help relate a Californian-kid what the fuck an acre is?  Like...how many football fields make up an acre?

I know UT campus is supposed called the 40 acres but I'm not sure if it's merely a historical label while the actual campus shrunk or swelled

On 6/19/2020 at 6:21 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

A football field with the end zones included is right about one acre.

SIAP

43,560 square feet

38 minutes ago, RPM said:

Haven't heard the wild hogs part, but fire ants definitely kill them. We had tons of them in Wise County until the mid 80's when they suddenly disappeared and fire ant mounds took over the fields.

From wiki:

A University of Texas publication notes that horned lizard populations continue to disappear throughout the southwest despite protective legislation. The Texas horned lizard has disappeared from almost half of its geographic range. Population declines are attributed to loss of habitat, human eradication of the ant populations upon which the lizards prey, displacement of native ant populations by invading fire ants (aided by synergistic effects of native ant eradication), and predation by domestic dogs and cats.

So it's not so much that they kill them, but rather they kill their food.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Of my 23 years in Texas, I've never seen a horny toad.

Sweet little lizards. Flat and docile. Always told they could squirt blood out of their eyes, but I never saw it. They would just sit in your hand - and engage in a staring contest. Sweet little creatures. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I haven’t seen one since the 1970s.

saw one on a hunting lease (not mine) south of Uvalde about 4 years ago. 

neighbor said he saw a pink one that's supposedly rare south of Alpine about 10 years ago. anybody heard of these? he smokes a lot of pot, so I don't know...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm about to buy about 10 acres in the mountains in Idaho with riverfront and lake views. It will be within 10mi of a resort town, but I plan to have an apple orchard on it and maybe a horse. Is it just a home, a vacation home, or a farm?

Sounds like a commune, you fucking hippy.

I wish I had a place like that.
  • Like 2