This is Texas. A Modern Texas. What Is A Ranch?

ROFL BOX

Man that's gorgeous. 

The talk about mesquite and cedar reminds me of my grandpa. He hated mesquite trees more than communists. Always some newfangled way to poison them or burn them or whatever. He was always trying to get rid of them. In my younger days I figured I'd go out there with a chainsaw and load up a trailer full of mesquite wood to sell to bbq places, but the reality is that it's not worth the trouble. 

Grandpa felt the same way about pond turtles (not just snapping turtles... all turtles). Once I caught one on my fishing line and hauled it to shore. Grandpa pulled out his pocket knife and needle nose pliers and decapitated that turtle right in front of me. I was like 6 or 7.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2020 at 10:59 PM, NorthLoop said:

Man that's gorgeous. 

The talk about mesquite and cedar reminds me of my grandpa. He hated mesquite trees more than communists. Always some newfangled way to poison them or burn them or whatever. He was always trying to get rid of them. In my younger days I figured I'd go out there with a chainsaw and load up a trailer full of mesquite wood to sell to bbq places, but the reality is that it's not worth the trouble. 

Grandpa felt the same way about pond turtles (not just snapping turtles... all turtles). Once I caught one on my fishing line and hauled it to shore. Grandpa pulled out his pocket knife and needle nose pliers and decapitated that turtle right in front of me. I was like 6 or 7.

Props to Grandpa.

• 2 weeks later...

Been in contact with a few surly people. Tentatively, if any of y’all would like to visit my ranch (those in Austin can meet up with me here) it would be around the end of September or beginning of October. You don’t have to pay anything. Just groceries you’d want. Assuming we are all cool by then. We have enough bedrooms/bathrooms for people to come and see and go hike. If y’all are interested pm me: 

I see a fair number of horned lizards on a mountain bike trail in Oak Cliff of all places.

At least I think they're horned lizards.  I see a lot of spiny lizards also, but the fat round ones skedaddle.  I'm not aware of any other lizard that's fat and round like a horned toad.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Been in contact with a few surly people. Tentatively, if any of y’all would like to visit my ranch (those in Austin can meet up with me here) it would be around the end of September or beginning of October. You don’t have to pay anything. Just groceries you’d want. Assuming we are all cool by then. We have enough bedrooms/bathrooms for people to come and see and go hike. If y’all are interested pm me: 

It’s a trap!!!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:59 PM, NorthLoop said:

Man that's gorgeous. 

Yep.  They are an ever-expanding nightmare that is a FT job to keep under control.  Some people daydream about winning the lottery and getting a fast car.  I dream of a skid-steer with a mulcher.

8ec5aeee2ea8a4f969adf801cb1aa036.jpg

Same as mine.  How me and my best friend learned to shoot.  Popping a bobbing turtle head with a .177 pellet from a Sheridan Rifle isn't easy.  Or keeping barn cats under control with a .410.  

• Like 2

East, or west of 35?

Somewhere between Fort Worth and Lubbock. South of Oklahoma and north of Abilene. I say somewhere because it’s really nowhere. Under 100 acres to the other question. Happy to further discuss via PM. Could be interesting and could be a total disaster. I think I’m going to be well protected financially but who knows. I will most certainly maintain my soft and well moisturized hands.

Got back from the NM ranch sunday. It cooled off just in time for us, days where in the mid 70s, nights in the high 50s.  Absolutely perfect.  

Been dry out that way lately, monsoon hasn't really been as good as they need so the grass is a bit bare.  
Most of the landscape shots are from when we took the Ranger up into the Cibola National Forest which abuts the ranch.  On the high elevation parts the Very Large Array (VLA) is off in the distance. Didn't see as many elk this time, only saw a few females and babies run across the vega.  Did see some mule deer like the one in the pic.

image12.jpeg

image13.jpeg

image14.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, gurt said:

Got back from the NM ranch sunday. It cooled off just in time for us, days where in the mid 70s, nights in the high 50s.  Absolutely perfect.  

Been dry out that way lately, monsoon hasn't really been as good as they need so the grass is a bit bare.  
Most of the landscape shots are from when we took the Ranger up into the Cibola National Forest which abuts the ranch.  On the high elevation parts the Very Large Array (VLA) is off in the distance. Didn't see as many elk this time, only saw a few females and babies run across the vega.  Did see some mule deer like the one in the pic.

image12.jpeg

image13.jpeg

image14.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

I, for one, think we need to have a Surly Allstars mule deer and elk hunt at Rancho de Gurt.  Can I get a second for this motion?

• Like 4

On 7/20/2020 at 5:43 PM, BabaYaga said:

Lol, good catch - just highlighting the mulcher I want to use to destroy Mesquite with extreme prejudice.  

Best man in my wedding has both a skid steer, and articulating loader hydro axes, among other kick ass ROW equipment. After college he decided he wanted to do ranch work (and finally be paid for it).  Those things definitely make short work of everything that gets in their path.  

I guess technically it’s a “track loader” but it’s a skid steer to me dammit. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, troph said:
12 hours ago, workswithseed said:
East, or west of 35?

Somewhere between Fort Worth and Lubbock. South of Oklahoma and north of Abilene. I say somewhere because it’s really nowhere. Under 100 acres to the other question. Happy to further discuss via PM. Could be interesting and could be a total disaster. I think I’m going to be well protected financially but who knows. I will most certainly maintain my soft and well moisturized hands.

When my family decided to come to Texas in a covered wagon, they decided to stop and set up shop in Jayton. Glad I was born 80 years too late for that adventure.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Best man in my wedding has both a skid steer, and articulating loader hydro axes, among other kick ass ROW equipment. After college he decided he wanted to do ranch work (and finally be paid for it).  Those things definitely make short work of everything that gets in their path.  

I guess technically it’s a “track loader” but it’s a skid steer to me dammit. 

My dream right there.  It's arguably the best defense against the ever-encroaching Mesquite and Huisache.  Grind them down, then remedy/diesel the stumps.  

12 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

When my family decided to come to Texas in a covered wagon, they decided to stop and set up shop in Jayton. Glad I was born 80 years too late for that adventure.

Levelland is one of my favorite James McMurtry songs.  It's hard to explain but I actually love that part of Texas.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 8:19 AM, BabaYaga said:

I can watch those forestry mulching, shredder videos for hours....

That's my go-to when I need to calm down my mind and fall asleep.  I pretend I won the lottery and bought a certain ranch I know well - then I start at the gate with my new hydro-axe and start to clean it.  Puts me right to sleep.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Reagan1k said:

That's my go-to when I need to calm down my mind and fall asleep.  I pretend I won the lottery and bought a certain ranch I know well - then I start at the gate with my new hydro-axe and start to clean it.  Puts me right to sleep.

LOL, same here.  

19 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Mine made it to Tuxedo, right outside of Anson. Must not have been too good of a time, my Great Great Grandfather killed himself there in 1913, I have a copy of the death certificate. Knox county is where I'm gonna buy, can still find stuff for around $1k per acre. I also do farm and ranch sales, might be able to nab something before it comes on the market.

CHIEF

My family homesteaded the place we still hunt NW of San Angelo way back in the 1800's (Sterling City area).

csb...Just talked with my dad this weekend and our cousin's place in Water Valley is overrun with Coyotes. They estimated they had about 1000 sheep and they are down to about 200. Sounds like the coyotes are now too smart fo the traps and poison so they have just been hunting them from a helicopter with ARs. If you on't get them all they just recruit more and they are having a real tough time snuffing these guys out.

Our place which is not that far has not had real issues with coyotes/hogs... just a couple mountain lions and a few bears that past few summers.

Edited by ZB'Tejas

25 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

My family homesteaded the place we still hunt NW of San Angelo way back in the 1800's (Sterling City area).

csb...Just talked with my dad this weekend and our cousin's place in Water Valley is overrun with Coyotes. They estimated they had about 1000 sheep and they are down to about 200. Sounds like the coyotes are now too smart fo the traps and poison so they have just been hunting them from a helicopter with ARs. If you on't get them all they just recruit more and they are having a real tough time snuffing these guys out.

Our place which is not that far has Neve had really issues with coyotes/hogs... just a couple mountain lions and a few bears that past few summers.

Drove through Water Valley and Sterling City just yesterday. I enjoy that part of the state. 

On 7/10/2020 at 9:56 PM, gurt said:

Heading to the wife’s family ranch in Catron county New Mexico tomorrow. About 4K acres with 130 head of cattle. In laws live at their ranch in Driftwood, but spend about 2 months of the year in NM. There’s a full time ranch manager out there and he also raises and trains horses. More Elk than cattle in that area. Selling elk tags is the only way my in laws break even out there.

17c1a28fbfe32889620fc2b4f538c84c.jpg

f2baf4d70db6d96ff05016087dd8b446.jpg

What are the upkeep costs on that kind of land, if you don't mind me asking? Not the actual money as much as what kind of things cost money annually that makes it a money suck?

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What are the upkeep costs on that kind of land, if you don't mind me asking? Not the actual money as much as what kind of things cost money annually that makes it a money suck?

Well, the biggest expense is paying the ranch manager, as well as his utilities/internet.  Then costs on the cattle themselves, winter feed, vaccinations, etc. They've had to dig new wells for cattle tanks, fences always need repair.  And there is always stuff breaking on a 60 year old ranch house that doesn't get lived in 3/4 of the time.  Plus one-time expenses like getting a new ranger and new ranch truck. 

• 1 month later...

Whatever you buy eventually, negotiate for the mineral rights if not already included. That may help keep producers off your land someday.

And think about ag or wildlife exemptions to keep the taxes down.

This meager hay “crop” is saving me about $17,000/year....

7CCB04B1-46D8-4629-B7DE-09EDFD52B884.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1