COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

The discussion of cigarettes v COVID-19 is dumb.

Johnny Dumbass lights up a cigarette in or near a bar, I catch some secondhand smoke when I go get a post work drink, I might get lung cancer. But I can't pass that on to my wife or children when I go back home, who in turn could pass along that lung cancer to their work or school mates.

Coronavirus does pass along like that and because of the lack of precautions that I or Johnny Dumbass take because one or both of us aren't wearing masks, we are each putting a group of a lot more people at risk than just ourselves.

It is a stretch, so just stop.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Have you been out lately?  There are almost no bars or clubs you can still smoke in.  It's been that way for several years.

In certain cities, yes.  Certainly not everywhere.

point is, and I know the threatened  lunatics will take 50 posts to get there;  if wearing masks eliminates the threat, then let’s shit or get off the pot.

Let businesses decide if they require masks.

Let sporting events, performing arts, museums, etc etc require masks and let’s get the fuck on with it.

The inconsistencies are many.  Yet, we should embrace the fear...and all measures prescribed, regardless of effectiveness. 

• Like 3

Slorch I'll agree to stop bitch slapping every stupid point you make if you and Johnny Sack agree to pick one Covid thread to turn into your personal Facebook and stick to it. That way the rest of us can have the other threads to actually have a productive conversation. Deal?

• Like 1

Make no mistake, hard decisions need to be made and soon. The growth of COVID in Texas is starting to get on a trend line that will become very uncontrollable quickly.

At a very minimum, and most everyone here agrees, masks should be mandatory in Texas, that the mandate wasn't made yesterday was kind of idiotic.

And I would note, that is at a bare minimum. With the way the spread of this virus is, it's not certain that masks will be enough. You look at what it took to get NY and here in Boston in the clear, complete lockdown for 2+ months. Granted, population density and transit are way different here than Texas. But if you want to avoid a potential lockdown, masks are a necessary step.

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Why are some of you acting like death is the only outcome to worry about here?  This thing fucks up the lungs of most of the people that get it.  Even young people are showing pulmonary fibrosis and long term lung damage.  They had to perform a double lung transplant on a 20 year old.  Just because you don't have to go on a vent doesn't mean you're going to come out of this without any problems.  

This is what worries me. The things we don't know about. 

What will this do to you months from now? Years from now? Decades from now? No one knows shit, and being pretty cavalier about the unknown. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Let businesses decide if they require masks.

Let sporting events, performing arts, museums, etc etc require masks and let’s get the fuck on with it.

We've tried that and the result are in: Maxed-out hospitals. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Make no mistake, hard decisions need to be made and soon. The growth of COVID in Texas is starting to get on a trend line that will become very uncontrollable quickly.

At a very minimum, and most everyone here agrees, masks should be mandatory in Texas, that the mandate wasn't made yesterday was kind of idiotic.

And I would note, that is at a bare minimum. With the way the spread of this virus is, it's not certain that masks will be enough. You look at what it took to get NY and here in Boston in the clear, complete lockdown for 2+ months. Granted, population density and transit are way different here than Texas. But if you want to avoid a potential lockdown, masks are a necessary step.

Well Texas’ state “leaders” aren’t going to make those hard decisions or grow a spine (or functional legs) to be leaders. Easier to punt it to the cities and blame them for the rise in cases. 

47 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I don’t smoke.  I am exposed to second hand smoke in public. 

it isn’t a stretch, by any means.

Its still largely a choice.  You're safe from second hand smoke where you work because the number of places where smoking is tolerated indoors is almost zero these days.  You're safe from second hand smoke when you go shopping for groceries.  Your kids are safe from second hand smoke when they go to school or daycare.  If you choose to go to, or work at, bars or clubs where smoking is allowed indoors, that's your choice.  

You don't get a choice on exposure to a virus short of choosing to live in a bubble.  We can buy down risk to exposure by making the wearing of masks mandatory in those same scenarios, much like we bought down the risk of second hand smoke by banning smoking in most places.  

Edited by TXSG8R

1 minute ago, B00M said:

We've tried that and the result are in: Maxed-out hospitals. 

Stop pushing public health decisions onto stupid individuals and greedy businesses. They’ve shown no regard for the public when it comes to decisions unless it’s bowing to Karen’s yelp reviews.  We elect people to make these decisions during extraordinary times. Hold them accountable. 

• Like 4

Its still largely a choice.  You're safe from second hand smoke where you work because the number of places where smoking is tolerated indoors is almost zero these days.  You're safe from second hand smoke when you go shopping for groceries.  Your kids are safe from second hand smoke when they go to school or daycare.  If you choose to go to, or work at, bars or clubs where smoking is allowed indoors, that's your choice.   You don't get a choice on exposure to a virus short of choosing to live in a bubble.  We can buy down risk to exposure by making the wearing of masks mandatory in those same scenarios, much like we bought down the risk of second hand smoke by banning smoking in certain places.  

To be fair, once you get a whiff of second hand smoke it acts just like Covid and you instantly become a smoker.

Next up let's tackle the bro country music epidemic. I hear that if you catch an earful of it from walking by a honky tonk, you run to the nearest Walmart to buy a Luke Bryan shirt. It's that contagious.

#BrainGenius

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Stop pushing public health decisions onto stupid individuals and greedy businesses. 

Businesses are just trying to survive without picking a fight with every 3rd customer, or paying someone to police the door. You see here just how illogical and unreasonable the average stupid individual is (slorch!). It obviously needs to be mandated by the state if we want near universal mask use.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

Businesses are just trying to survive without picking a fight with every 3rd customer, or paying someone to police the door. You see here just how illogical and unreasonable the average stupid individual is (slorch!). It obviously needs to be mandated by the state if we want near universal mask use.

Exactly. Why do we have a state government if they can’t make these decisions during a public health crisis?  We know individuals will only look out for themselves and their wallets. 

14 minutes ago, B00M said:

Wake Darwin the fuck up and kill off the stupids.

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Meh.  so do cigarettes.

We don't shut down the world for them...

Joking but not joking.  If this health and "guarantees from death" are the new normal, why the fuck do cigarettes exist?

COVID doesn't have lobbyists.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Well after the riots and demonstrations...  but they didn’t really happen.

While I agree that the protests are probably contributing to the current case load, the falling cases in NY, despite all their protests, suggests re-opening the Texas economy is the primary source.

Edited by B00M
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, B00M said:

While I agree that the protests are probably contributing to the current case load, the falling cases in NY, despite all their riots, suggests re-opening the Texas economy is the primary source.

NY is not really a good control for that comparison.  I am not sure who is, but you can basically throw NY, NJ, and maybe a few other NE states out of consideration. Their huge spike have downstream impacts on their case counts. 

NY is not really a good control for that comparison.  I am not sure who is, but you can basically throw NY, NJ, and maybe a few other NE states out of consideration. Their huge spike have downstream impacts on their case counts. 

Minneapolis? I heard they had a little bit of protesting. But let's not let this thread get hijacked by the whole "but protests!" thing please

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can you elaborate? Last I read, even places like NY City are still a long way from herd immunity (like perhaps 20% of NYC has antibodies) so what else would reduce their case counts?

• Like 1

If these fucking Karens, bar hopping 20 something’s, and muh rights assholes make me miss my trip to New England next month because Texas gets redlined I’m gonna be pissed.

7 minutes ago, B00M said:

re-opening the Texas economy is the primary source.

I agree that it is something beyond protests contributing to the spike in new cases.  I was going to make a point that it is not the re-opening of the economy itself that is likely the primary source, but consumer behavior.  But, when you open up bars, etc., it's a given that consumer behavior is going to fall to the lowest common denominator.  

After 3 months, I still do not have a personal opinion on what the hell we should be doing, other than wearing masks inside of businesses, which is such a simple gesture for the potential benefit of others and maybe even yourself.  I'm just doing my best to keep myself and my family safe.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, F250 said:

He never reversed course. Judge Wolff said he would enforce masks in Bexar county last week and dared Abbott to stop it. This was as things were spiking so Abbott said, "yeah, this was my intention the whole time." But the Texas AG was just sending letters to city and county officials telling them they couldn't enforce masks.

About was challenged to a game of chicken and as soon as he blinked other counties followed Bexar county's lead. This should have been the case months ago when the counties were trying to establish local preventive measures.

It's pretty crystal clear Abbott doesn't believe his own bullshit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

Can you elaborate? Last I read, even places like NY City are still a long way from herd immunity (like perhaps 20% of NYC has antibodies) so what else would reduce their case counts?

I think that if you want to do this sort of an analysis, we need to find a state that had a very different reopening policy, but with a similar per capita trajectory prior to reopening.  California's a better comparison, imo. 

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The more people who die early, the fewer people die later.

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Slowing down Covid is hard and inconveniences me, therefore we should just give up.  That's what the real issue is here.

We should all just take up smoking too. It’s the same thing 

21 minutes ago, 3shot said:

I agree that it is something beyond protests contributing to the spike in new cases.  I was going to make a point that it is not the re-opening of the economy itself that is likely the primary source, but consumer behavior.  But, when you open up bars, etc., it's a given that consumer behavior is going to fall to the lowest common denominator.  

After 3 months, I still do not have a personal opinion on what the hell we should be doing, other than wearing masks inside of businesses, which is such a simple gesture for the potential benefit of others and maybe even yourself.  I'm just doing my best to keep myself and my family safe.   

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think that if you want to do this sort of an analysis, we need to find a state that had a very different reopening policy, but with a similar per capita trajectory prior to reopening.  California's a better comparison, imo. 

Since this whole thing started it’s been frustrating as hell because we don’t have much data, and some of the data we do have is bad.

you have to take a step back and look at trends and observe things more on a local level. What I can tell you, and these are facts that don’t need any analysis, is that we are not seeing spikes everywhere or even most places there were protests, and we are seeing enormous spikes in places that had no protests at all. Let’s just rule that out for now. Same with Memorial Day it’s too far in the past.

I’ve pointed it out a few days ago but the other locality I am very familiar with is Costa Rica. They are on the EXACT same upward curve Texas is. They didn’t have protests, they didn’t have Memorial Day, and they are still not letting foreign tourists come in. What they have done, however, is try to open at the exact same time and same way as we have.

The common issue is a simple one and it’s a bitter pill to swallow - it’s reopening too quickly. Maybe a better way to phrase it is we are doing it the wrong way. I’m all for reopening and in fact I think we should have done it sooner. I’d even argue that Texas shut down way too soon, and unnecessarily. What we appear to be dealing with now is a case of the morons who comprise an overwhelming majority of the population. They see things opening up and think/assume/hope it means we are back to normal. What they don’t realize is that we still need to wear masks indoors in public places, we still need to social distance as much as possible, we still need to wash our hands, and for god’s sake stop touching your face.

The problem is we’ve never tried to send out a coordinated message. And even if we did most people would just ignore it.  We have a bunch of intelligent, informed people on this website and I think if it was up to just us we’d be fine. Let’s start our own website country.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, justhookit said:

The problem is we’ve never tried to send out a coordinated message. And even if we did most people would just ignore it.

I agree with the first sentence, but until that happens we can't be confident of the 2nd.

There are so many waves of misinformation that Texans as a whole can't distinguish logical from agenda driven narratives with critical thinking skills.  I know the why is a whole other thread, but I'm with your first point.  Our leaders at the state level need to provide a unified message to simplify things and give us a chance, and they're just not doing that right now.

• Like 1

Anyway, so as not to derail this any further the other interesting number out of Nueces County yesterday is they only reported 49 new tests. Has to be an error or typo because I know they tested over 20 people just from Port A yesterday. 1-5 days for results. A bunch of my friends were tested.

3 minutes ago, drt said:

I agree with the first sentence, but until that happens we can't be confident of the 2nd.

There are so many waves of misinformation that Texans as a whole can't distinguish logical from agenda driven narratives with critical thinking skills.  I know the why is a whole other thread, but I'm with your first point.  Our leaders at the state level need to provide a unified message to simplify things and give us a chance, and they're just not doing that right now.

At this point I’m actually ok with the message coming just from the city/county level. We seem to be trending that direction and so far I’m liking what I am seeing.

• Like 1

Anyway, so as not to derail this any further the other interesting number out of Nueces County yesterday is they only reported 49 new tests. Has to be an error or typo because I know they tested over 20 people just from Port A yesterday. 1-5 days for results. A bunch of my friends were tested.

Do they report tests when they're administered or when the results come in?

1 hour ago, B00M said:

They already killed off a lot of the vulnerable olds that die from this.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Do they report tests when they're administered or when the results come in?

Like I said above it’s bad data. I have no idea what they are doing anymore. 109 new cases yesterday but only 49 new tests? I know that number is wrong. At this point I think they are just pulling it out of their ass. Clearly the new tests number isn’t correlated to the new positive case reports. One thing you can see in the data is that our percent positive is through the roof for the last week or so.

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Me and my wife saw less people wearing masks yesterday in Galveston.  Things there are just different than things here. 

I don't understand how one particular area can do great as far as PPE goes and then the next week go completely to hell.

While Waco made masks mandatory last Saturday, small incorporated towns around Waco have not. The small town of Bellmead was awesome last week as far as PPE goes, and this week (so far) it seems only about 10-15% are wearing masks.  WTH?

Edited by SHOOTER12
Sp

My cousin who lives in Houston has the virus. She went to hospital yesterday with flu like symptoms and got tested. She and her sister and their hubbies and kiddos along with my aunt and uncle were all together for Fathers Day. They will all have to wait a bit to get tested bc of early false negatives and are all in quarantine now. Furk!!! Hope she doesn’t have to be hospitalized

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such