COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Everything is fine.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/aph-finalizing-plans-for-care-site-outside-of-hospitals-for-hundreds-of-covid-19-patients/

Austin Public Health officials are finalizing plans that include a site where care would be provided for patients outside of hospitals. 

Officials confirmed to KXAN Sunday that the site would be able to accommodate care for up to 1,500 people.

In April, it was reported that emergency backup medical facilities were being prepared in Austin and Travis County in case hospitals got overwhelmed by an influx of COVID-19 patients. Officials had set up Alternative Care Sites that would address patient care needs if hospitals reach capacity.

It is not known what level of care people would receive at the particular site APH officials said they are finalizing plans for Sunday, or if the site is part of those preparations that were being made in April.

When asked if the site would be the Austin Convention Center, officials said they do not have a contract for that site, or any other location for an alternative care site.

• Like 1

yeah, just had a lengthy conversation with my mom. I don’t Facebook and am obviously not on her group email list in the ladies’ club or whatever, but apparently the last 2 weeks of bad news was just too much. They are now pushing the narrative to just get out and get back to normal because OMG!!! when you look at it the odds of you getting this are 0.000000000019 percent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

yeah, just had a lengthy conversation with my mom. I don’t Facebook and am obviously not on her group email list in the ladies’ club or whatever, but apparently the last 2 weeks of bad news was just too much. They are now pushing the narrative to just get out and get back to normal because OMG!!! when you look at it the odds of you getting this are 0.000000000019 percent. 

Damn. Good luck. She in Austin?

Anyway, fist day in last 5 days Nueces didn’t hit 200 new cases. Clocked in at 188. Thanks Sunday! They didn’t update hospitalizations or ICU other than to remove one from the hospital because he died.

our way of reporting the number of new tests is wonky but it looks like maybe the number of new tests is starting to fall a little. Could also be the weekend blip.

51 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

636 single day new cases in Travis if u am reading that right. 

time to put on some doors. 

I believe there was an issue with Friday’s numbers and they were included with Saturday’s. So divide by 2. Still not great, Bob. 

19 minutes ago, hornian said:

I believe there was an issue with Friday’s numbers and they were included with Saturday’s. So divide by 2. Still not great, Bob. 

Yeah. But today is Sunday. The Saturday report was a two day aggregate. Although I was looking at it on my phone so I very well may have misread the date stamp. 

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I am not missing anything.  

The saturday count was a two day count @ 728. The Sunday count is a single day @ 636.  Maybe there is some bleed between the two, but it ain't a good number either way.

Annotation-2020-06-25-125252.png

I wonder if this is why they came out today and said they were looking at providing 1,500 beds outside of hospitals once the hospitals are at capacity.

City Council is probably looking at buying up a hotel or two as we speak.

• Like 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I wonder if this is why they came out today and said they were looking at providing 1,500 beds outside of hospitals once the hospitals are at capacity.

City Council is probably looking at buying up a hotel or two as we speak.

The Hyatt let go of a lot of staff, but the city better not take that one. It is my favorite Austin hotel.

Been out of service all weekend camping, and now I find out that my 66 year old (had a pulmonary adema about 15 years ago, not sure if that has lasting effects on lung function) father has it, and he lives with and is now quarantined with my 91 year old grandmother.  So I’ll be expecting some bad news eventually. I doubt he wore a mask ever and thought it was all media or democrat driven bullshit. 
So what’s new with this thread over the last 60 hours?

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Been out of service all weekend camping, and now I find out that my 66 year old (had a pulmonary adema about 15 years ago, not sure if that has lasting effects on lung function) father has it, and he lives with and is now quarantined with my 91 year old grandmother.  So I’ll be expecting some bad news eventually. I doubt he wore a mask ever and thought it was all media or democrat driven bullshit. 

- Williamson County is down to 18 available ICU beds, and expects to run out in the next few days.  Earlier in the week, the county judge said "hell no" to a mask ordinance, so the City of Round Rock is emailing out virtual flyers asking people and businesses to pretty please put on a mask.

- Austin Public Health is looking where to put up to 1,500 beds outside of hospitals.  But not the Austin Convention Center.  Adler and Co. think we'll be out of beds in 2-3 weeks at the current rate.  I think one of the numbers they tossed out was that if we hit 70 hospital admissions a day for 7 days, we're fucked.

- City of Austin is running low on testing, so only testing you if you have symptoms, which means we have the highest positivity rate in the nation or something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

- Williamson County is down to 18 available ICU beds, and expects to run out in the next few days.  Earlier in the week, the county judge said "hell no" to a mask ordinance, so the City of Round Rock is emailing out virtual flyers asking people and businesses to pretty please put on a mask.

- Austin Public Health is looking where to put up to 1,500 beds outside of hospitals.  But not the Austin Convention Center.  Adler and Co. think we'll be out of beds in 2-3 weeks at the current rate.  I think one of the numbers they tossed out was that if we hit 70 hospital admissions a day for 7 days, we're fucked.

- City of Austin is running low on testing, so only testing you if you have symptoms, which means we have the highest positivity rate in the nation or something.

Cool my dad and grandmother are in Williamson, so by the time either of them needs a hospital they will likely be going down to st David’s or up to bsw I guess. 

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s tough. It doesn’t have to be a death sentence though. My 92 year old grandfather tested positive for a month and never developed symptoms beyond a fever. 

Hopefully something in their body responds well and they make it through. 

• Like 3

They’ve got this.

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They’ve got this.

Whatever happens happens. My give a shit about people that get sick when they refuse to even attempt to protect themselves or others in any way is pretty low, even for family. There would be a good deal of I told you so to go along with the grieving. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I am not missing anything.  

The saturday count was a two day count @ 728. The Sunday count is a single day @ 636.  Maybe there is some bleed between the two, but it ain't a good number either way.

Annotation-2020-06-25-125252.png

Yeah that is bad. I had the dates mixed up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

It's off the fucking rails man. 

I escaped to Colorado. I legit wonder if I’m going to be a vector. I’m religious about mask wearing, social distancing, haven’t gone to restaurants, etc. but the numbers are so high that it’s freaking me out. I half expected Colorado to not let us in the way we weren’t letting people from Louisiana in back in March/April. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hornian said:

I legit wonder if I’m going to be a vector. I’m religious about mask wearing, social distancing, haven’t gone to restaurants, etc. but the numbers are so high that it’s freaking me out.

Yeah, pretty much where I am at at the moment. The trajectory of the numbers is concerning. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That's tough, I'm really sorry to hear that. One silver lining: As brutal as the reported death rate of 20 percent or whatever the figure is for the old/at risk... That means 80 percent survive. Stay positive and stay in touch.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah. But today is Sunday. The Saturday report was a two day aggregate. Although I was looking at it on my phone so I very well may have misread the date stamp. 

Easier to look at 7 day averages and it's not pretty:

Today's 7 day average for Travis Co:  322 cases with a 636 on the scorecard for today.
7 days ago: 238
14 days ago: 121
21 days ago: 61
28 days ago: also 61, pretty much flat between 50-60 going back to mid-April

Basically up 5x in about three weeks after a really long plateau.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sorry to hear. Prayers headed y’alls way. 

On 6/27/2020 at 4:19 PM, Hefeweizen said:

Lol - wishful thinking.  It was clear that a lot of the mouth breathing, non mask crowd was out and about.  They got to go back to work and spread it, along with bars, protests, and terrible steaks with shitty carrots.

We're paying the price for the stupidity of our population.  Unfortunately the virus itself doesn't pick on stupid people, because the eugenics of that would be pretty spectacular, if catastrophic.  I've been drinking today because the fuckwits are going to destroy our economy over politics, fear of masking up for seeming like pussies, and needing to go out and drink in a bar.  We survived the first shutdown with a few layoffs, and I was feeling pretty good about prospects for the rest of the year.  Now I'm making a list of people who are first to go when projects start getting put on hold again.  An extended economic contraction is coming - fear is the worst possible thing for an economy, and the poor management of this crisis is engendering fear everywhere.

At least now it looks like masking up is polling in the 80th percentile, so maybe, somehow, we'll convince mouth breathers to wear them.

A few layoffs?  Fucking 30% of the workforce was laid off you fucking imbecile 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, texastough said:

Piss in your cheerios? I think he was talking about his own company.

No piss in the Cheerios.  He’s been shitposting on this thread and that little “is a few people got laid off” line was as shitty and inconsiderate as the “I’m not wearing a mask” crowd.  

Then he shows back up with another “let’s make fun of Abbott being disabled” post.  It just irks the shit out of me how folks demand change in one hand and fling shit with the other.   Same as it ever was 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You’re an expert at his company, are you? Either you were laid of there or you misread his post. 

It appears I may have misread his post a bit because of how it was worded (the company specific portion being in the second part of a fairly long sentence when the lead-up was all about the royal we) 

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

No piss in the Cheerios.  He’s been shitposting on this thread and that little “is a few people got laid off” line was as shitty and inconsiderate as the “I’m not wearing a mask” crowd.  

Then he shows back up with another “let’s make fun of Abbott being disabled” post.  It just irks the shit out of me how folks demand change in one hand and fling shit with the other.   Same as it ever was 

You're bringing cloak room baggage here. It's the surly way to make fun of physical short comings, obesity, forehead lumps, horse teeth, five heads, shark teeth, gnarly knees, hammered toes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Anyone have a definitive answer on whether or not breweries are included in the bar re-shutdown? 

Holdout Brewery is open on West 5th.  Swing by and support them if you can. They opted to have their grand opening during a pandemic to serve Austinites so return the favor.  Local operators with great beer and a solid burger to boot.  

Just don’t all go at once because I’d like to still be able to get a table Thursday and Friday afternoons.   

17 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Remdesivir released pricing: $3,120 per treatment cycle for those with private insurance (article on WSJ).

Can you link and spoiler tag that article?

How exactly is a treatment cycle defined? 10 day course?

Edited by Anastasis

42 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can you link and spoiler tag that article?

How exactly is a treatment cycle defined? 10 day course?

5 day treatment per Bloomberg article.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-29/gilead-says-remdesivir-will-cost-2-340-for-five-day-treatment?sref=knoriXqz

• Like 2

“We wanted to make sure that nothing gets in the way of remdesivir getting to patients,” Gilead Chief Executive Officer Daniel O’Day said in an interview. The price “will make sure all patients around the world have access to this medicine.”

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

And it should be noted per the article, it says that that is just for developed countries governments. The article also has a viewpoint that says the price should be $1 per day.  At this point, I would argue that the thing should be sold at cost with a very minimal profit margin.  Profit taking in a Global Pandemic isn't a good look.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And it should be noted per the article, it says that that is just for developed countries governments. The article also has a viewpoint that says the price should be $1 per day.  At this point, I would argue that the thing should be sold at cost with a very minimal profit margin.  Profit taking in a Global Pandemic isn't a good look.

Why do you hate capitalism?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is a problem for the company. The product wasn't developed for COVID-19. The company may want to have it available for less money for COVID-19 but fears that it will then devalue the product and the company will be unable to raise prices once the pandemic is over. Probably the better way to handle it is to give it away at cost for 2020 for experimental use and then charge whatever market research feels is appropriate going forward.

• Like 1

Consumer rights group said it should cost $1 to produce a generic version. Im not a big pharma fan by any means but I can't support the idea that a company who spent 100s of millions if not a billion developing a new product should give it away at cost. Especially after theyve donated all their current stock piles.

Frustrating but remove the profit and new drug development ceases
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such