COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

10 minutes ago, Smax said:

Frustrating but remove the profit and new drug development ceases

I generally agree, but one thing that should be considered in the current, very unique pandemic situation, is that Gilead has recouped much of their R&D with extremely, extremely expensive Hep C drugs that were developed in the same R&D sweep. 

46 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And it should be noted per the article, it says that that is just for developed countries governments. The article also has a viewpoint that says the price should be $1 per day.  At this point, I would argue that the thing should be sold at cost with a very minimal profit margin.  Profit taking in a Global Pandemic isn't a good look.

Maybe from their perspective, the profits ARE minimal...

Saving the world is valuable work.😉

21 minutes ago, Smax said:

that's complete horse shit. there are plenty of really, really smart people all over the world that are committed to finding ways to help people overcome illness and cure diseases. there's also really, really wealthy countries that can commit funds to provide resources to those people to accomplish those goals.

21 minutes ago, Smax said:

Consumer rights group said it should cost $1 to produce a generic version. Im not a big pharma fan by any means but I can't support the idea that a company who spent 100s of millions if not a billion developing a new product should give it away at cost. Especially after theyve donated all their current stock piles.

I do not disagree with you.  However, as someone upthread mentioned, this was not developed for COVID-19, and this is a completely unique situation.  

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

that's complete horse shit. there are plenty of really, really smart people all over the world that are committed to finding ways to help people overcome illness and cure diseases. there's also really, really wealthy countries that can commit funds to provide resources to those people to accomplish those goals.

What are they waiting on?

7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Maybe from their perspective, the profits ARE minimal...

Saving the world is valuable work.😉

Except their product isn't going to save the world.  It reduced in hospital days by a modest amount, and did not separate significantly in terms of mortality (although it was headed in that direction).

If you asked me to price it (in a non-pandemic context), I would do it based on the cost savings associated with the modest reduction in hospital days. 

Edited by Anastasis
wrods are hard.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

show your work

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

did that feel like a big number to you?

it's less than 1% of our annual budget. and somebody decided it was too much and wants to cut it even more...

I'd ask to see the ROI on that 41B before deciding whether we should fund more or reduce. I'm sure there are lots of other impactful ways of spending the 99%

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Nueces is just amazing to me. They are going to catch up to where Travis is pretty soon if these projections hold, but had very small numbers until very recently.  

Wow, just looked up where this is... is this from all the summer beach goers? I rented a house just up the cost from there in early August... was planning on packing in all my food versus going to any restaurants but damn.

8 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I'd ask to see the ROI on that 41B before deciding whether we should fund more or reduce. I'm sure there are lots of other impactful ways of spending the 99%

sounds good, i'll get right on that ROI analysis. meanwhile, run that same ROI analysis for this trend:

Meanwhile, research from the Commonwealth Fund found that the number of U.S. adults with employer-sponsored health plans who are deemed underinsured tripled between 2003 and 2018, and families who spent enough on health care to meet their deductibles saw those expenses almost double as a percentage of their incomes over the past decade.

spacer.png

any sort of societal impact we should be concerned with in this trend?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, justhookit said:

It’s Monday. If the thread direction this morning is any indicator of how cases this week in Texas are going to go, it’s going to be a long week.

y’all take this discussion to one of the other threads.

Seconded. This entire page is Cloak Room material.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Nueces is just amazing to me. They are going to catch up to where Travis is pretty soon if these projections hold, but had very small numbers until very recently.  

7 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Wow, just looked up where this is... is this from all the summer beach goers? I rented a house just up the cost from there in early August... was planning on packing in all my food versus going to any restaurants but damn.

It’s weird. I live in Port A which is located in Nueces County. While we are spiking over the last few weeks going from 7 cases to 22, it’s nothing like what is happening over in Corpus. The massive influx of tourists definitely has a lot to do with it.

15 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Nobody goes there anymore. Too crowded.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

It’s weird. I live in Port A which is located in Nueces County. While we are spiking over the last few weeks going from 7 cases to 22, it’s nothing like what is happening over in Corpus. The massive influx of tourists definitely has a lot to do with it.

Yep.

Annotation-2020-06-29-1001333.png

21 hours ago, Iceman said:

next week we will be opening the pack of TP we bought on the initial "We all gonna shit ourselves" mania back in March.

Thank Gawd we had it.

Speaking of we're all gonna shit ourselves.

So glad to see diarrhea on the list of symptoms now.  Hell I've had diarrhea off and on for 3 months or so, but it has got to be something environmental concerning Wacko.  Every weekend I go home it stops, by Monday afternoon or night, it's back again.  Been tested 4 times since all this shit started (see what I did there?), all negative.

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

$3.12

Treefiddy is correct if you add in taxes and fees.

And no CR at all.  Conflating politics with this pandemic is about 80 percent of our issue, as a state.  The other 20 percent is stupidity and poor communication.

Edited by Hefeweizen
Your mother, not south Austin’s
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I went to a little market out here and this dumb bitch in her 20s just couldn’t help from standing right up on my ass. She was wearing a mask but I told her to give me some room. Some people are just completely oblivious to those around them. A failure of parenting, imo. 

Those are the ones in my experience that get all offended and act out over the situation.

So what are the predictions from a policy perspective this week?   I told my wife Saturday I fully expect Jenkins to request flexibility for additional measures.  Both because he thinks we actually need in Dallas (which we do) but also because he does seems to enjoy grandstanding and butting heads with Abbot. And shocker,  he sent a letter to Abbot on Sunday asking for additional measures including essentially a 1 month lockdown.   I wouldn't be surprised if as cases/hospitalizations continue to mount this week, Abbot doesn't allow at least some additional flexibility for additional measures at the county/city level.  Particularly if Houston/Austin/San Antonio/Ft. Worth leadership similarly push Abbot.  I don't think he wants that thrown back in his face if things continue, and as we've all discussed, the numbers are pretty baked in at this point for next 2 weeks so it doesn't seem plausible there is any good news on the horizon in the short term.  I think that is more likely than Abbot implementing more statewide restrictions but we'll see.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Whatever happens happens. My give a shit about people that get sick when they refuse to even attempt to protect themselves or others in any way is pretty low, even for family. There would be a good deal of I told you so to go along with the grieving. 

Skipped a funeral in San Antonio Saturday for my niece who got killed in a auto accident a while back, and the family didn't take to my decision very well.   Soooo, fuck each and every last one of them.

• Like 1

Mask participation here in Midland has been quite low.  Many times, I'm the only non-employee in an establishment (store, gas station, restaurant, etc) wearing one.  However, when I went to the post office this morning I was shocked that every single person had one on.  Then on my way out, I saw the sign on the door that masks are required in order to enter.  I guess this is something the local branch decided?

7 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Skipped a funeral in San Antonio Saturday for my niece who got killed in a auto accident a while back, and the family didn't take to my decision very well.   Soooo, fuck each and every last one of them.

My nephew has a wedding scheduled at the end of July and at this point I'm skipping. Since it's at a church the restrictions at the state level have no impact on this correct?

22 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So what are the predictions from a policy perspective this week?   I told my wife Saturday I fully expect Jenkins to request flexibility for additional measures.  Both because he thinks we actually need in Dallas (which we do) but also because he does seems to enjoy grandstanding and butting heads with Abbot. And shocker,  he sent a letter to Abbot on Sunday asking for additional measures including essentially a 1 month lockdown.   I wouldn't be surprised if as cases/hospitalizations continue to mount this week, Abbot doesn't allow at least some additional flexibility for additional measures at the county/city level.  Particularly if Houston/Austin/San Antonio/Ft. Worth leadership similarly push Abbot.  I don't think he wants that thrown back in his face if things continue, and as we've all discussed, the numbers are pretty baked in at this point for next 2 weeks so it doesn't seem plausible there is any good news on the horizon in the short term.  I think that is more likely than Abbot implementing more statewide restrictions but we'll see.

That’s sort of where I’m leaning but I think if the cases keep trending the way they have Abbott may actually have to do something at the statewide level. I don’t see how he can just say hey I closed the bars again, what else do you expect me to do? Meanwhile it looks like we are going to see the county judge here impose some new restrictions on the beaches. To be clear, I don’t think the beaches are an issue by themselves and I don’t think the county does either. What I believe they are attempting to do is reduce the number of visitors without imposing restrictions directly on businesses and pissing them off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

That’s sort of where I’m leaning but I think if the cases keep trending the way they have Abbott may actually have to do something at the statewide level. I don’t see how he can just say hey I closed the bars again, what else do you expect me to do? Meanwhile it looks like we are going to see the county judge here impose some new restrictions on the beaches. To be clear, I don’t think the beaches are an issue by themselves and I don’t think the county does either. What I believe they are attempting to do is reduce the number of visitors without imposing restrictions directly on businesses and pissing them off.

If he does anything more statewide, it will probably look like counties above this number of cases per capita must do this.

24 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

My nephew has a wedding scheduled at the end of July and at this point I'm skipping. Since it's at a church the restrictions at the state level have no impact on this correct?

A friend of mine had one scheduled in Fredericksburg in March that got canceled.  Was supposed to have it again weekend after 4th, same venue.  Just found out they rescheduled for next March.  That is tough.

40 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

What, you think you can exercise Prima Nocta over Zoom or something?  You are going to get your ass to that wedding, and we expect pics afterward.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

A friend of mine had one scheduled in Fredericksburg in March that got canceled.  Was supposed to have it again weekend after 4th, same venue.  Just found out they rescheduled for next March.  That is tough.

As of today, my wife's dumbass family is still planning to hold a 100+ person wedding in a couple of weeks.  My wife is in the wedding.   Hoping Abbot enacts restrictions forcing to cancel because they won't do it on their own.  I probably wouldn't end up going if not cancelled so at least we hopefully wouldn't get sick at the same time.    

It seems to me the obvious approach is to go ahead and get married if you want (at the courthouse) then just plan on scheduling a big ass party for the 1 year anniversary next summer.  I'm sure that's what a lot of people are doing.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such