COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

42 minutes ago, Skipper said:

As of today, my wife's dumbass family is still planning to hold a 100+ person wedding in a couple of weeks.  My wife is in the wedding.   Hoping Abbot enacts restrictions forcing to cancel because they won't do it on their own.  I probably wouldn't end up going if not cancelled so at least we hopefully wouldn't get sick at the same time.    

That's what I'm hoping for as well... They have an alternate date in August for COVID reasons but have yet to say they are going to postpone.  I'm trying to avoid any family drama over skipping if they do have it in July. 

1 hour ago, BTW said:

Mask participation here in Midland has been quite low.  Many times, I'm the only non-employee in an establishment (store, gas station, restaurant, etc) wearing one.  However, when I went to the post office this morning I was shocked that every single person had one on.  Then on my way out, I saw the sign on the door that masks are required in order to enter.  I guess this is something the local branch decided?

Ourr post office has the same sign, although its not strictly enforced. Mask percentage is up from about 10% to 20-25% in Texarkana. Half of those are halfway wearing them tho. I was checking out at a store and the lady while wearing her mask  stuck her fingers in it, adjusted  and pushed it out from her face then proceeded to tear off my receipt with the same hand  and give it to me lol. I'm not team #ballgame so it didnt bother me just found it interesting.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

A friend of mine had one scheduled in Fredericksburg in March that got canceled.  Was supposed to have it again weekend after 4th, same venue.  Just found out they rescheduled for next March.  That is tough.

I'm surprised they can keep the body fresh that long ..... oh wedding!   So I'm surprised they can keep taking out the wedding dress that much.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I think that is more likely than Abbot implementing more statewide restrictions but we'll see.

I do as well, but Alex Jones is on top of this, along with his merry band of followers with pre-existing conditions.  He even rolled out his armored personnel carrier (how the hell did that not get taken in the divorce or Sandy Hook lawsuit losses?)

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200628/alex-jones-leads-anti-mask-protest-at-capitol

Approximately 150 un-masked people gathered before the Texas Capitol Sunday afternoon for a protest against mask-wearing mandates recently enacted by state and local governments.

It was the same day Travis County recorded a record-breaking spike in positive COVID-19 cases that has more than doubled the daily rate of hospitalizations.

The event was kicked off with prayer before the armored vehicle iconic to Alex Jones and his Info Wars brand rolled up to the group with a warm welcome of cheers and chants.

From the roof of the vehicle stood Info Wars contributor Owen Shroyer shouting through a megaphone. Scientifically, the face coverings state and local governments are encouraging people to wear to slow the spread of COVID-19 do nothing to prevent coronavirus transmission, Shroyer said, directly contradicting evidence presented by state and federal health authorities.

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

For those wondering why Texas Medical Center's data was all over the place/missing for a few days.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-hospitals-hit-100-base-ICU-capacity-15372256.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Following a Houston Chronicle story highlighting the missing charts, the TMC at 6 p.m. Sunday posted updated data featuring most of the original information with a few cosmetic changes, as well as some additional slides attempting to better explain the hospitals’ capacity.

Houston Methodist CEO Dr. Marc Boom stressed that the new data was not reinvented — all the figures and projection models are the same — but was simply reformatted in an effort to make clear that reaching 100 percent of capacity in an ICU is a moving target. TMC hospitals have a combined 373 beds, for instance, that can become ICU beds with a “challenging” but “doable” amount of effort, Boom said, with the reassignment of trained staff and equipment.

Doing so would take the TMC facilities’ combined 93 percent ICU capacity as of the Sunday report down to 72 percent, the chart shows.

Boom said he and his peers knew as the pandemic wore on that the measurement of ICU capacity the slides displayed was imperfect and did not convey the way they are run, but did not revisit the charts as quickly as they should have.

“This is just trying to be clear. We want to be as helpful as we possibly can,” Boom said. “Obviously, this got delayed a couple days because it’s complicated — you put 11 or so institutions together all trying to figure out something this complicated and trying to figure out how we express it a little bit more accurately — it took a while, a little longer than any of us would have liked, but simply because it’s complicated. I like what we came up with.”

For what it's worth, I went to my office for a few hours this morning.  Before the recent spike there was usually a fair amount of cars in the parking garage below my building at First and Congress.  Today, on a Monday at 9:00 a.m., it was significantly lighter, even by pandemic standards.  At least in my building, it appears that a lot of people are staying home.  

We’re back to around 50 percent capacity and I just had another employee call in with symptoms.  Guess I’ll Know next week if we’re a hotspot.  

By the way the deep clean is an absolute scam and pretty useless to boot.  With the side benefit of ruining all paper on your desk.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/masks-40-capacity-classrooms-among-changes-for-fall-semester-at-ut/

Students and faculty members at the University of Texas at Austin can expect to wear a face covering indoors and be in socially-distanced classrooms this fall when it reopens, university officials say.

In a plan called “Protect Texas Together,” the university outlines how it intends to run learning, health and wellness, residence halls, faculty and staff, graduate programs, research and athletics in the upcoming fall semester when campus reopens.

In the plan, students will be able to choose if they want to take classes in-person, online or through a hybrid of the two. Tuition remains the same for all three options, the university says.

Classrooms will be kept at 40% capacity, and the wearing of cloth masks will be mandatory in university buildings except when alone in a private office, while eating at a campus dining facility and for students in their own dorm rooms.

Wearing masks while outdoors will be encouraged, the university stated.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/masks-40-capacity-classrooms-among-changes-for-fall-semester-at-ut/
Students and faculty members at the University of Texas at Austin can expect to wear a face covering indoors and be in socially-distanced classrooms this fall when it reopens, university officials say.
In a plan called “Protect Texas Together,” the university outlines how it intends to run learning, health and wellness, residence halls, faculty and staff, graduate programs, research and athletics in the upcoming fall semester when campus reopens.
In the plan, students will be able to choose if they want to take classes in-person, online or through a hybrid of the two. Tuition remains the same for all three options, the university says.
Classrooms will be kept at 40% capacity, and the wearing of cloth masks will be mandatory in university buildings except when alone in a private office, while eating at a campus dining facility and for students in their own dorm rooms.
Wearing masks while outdoors will be encouraged, the university stated.

A big old clay Davis shiiiiiiiiit on even having 40% capacities on those big ass auditorium classes. Old af staff and faculty are in trouble.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Shocked that Germany woudl be below the US. 

Me too, they are a nation of rule followers...  however...

Cases from yesterday among various Texas counties and the Federal Republic of Germany:

Travis: 636
Dallas: 570
Bexar: 495
Hidalgo: 402
Tarrant: 393
Friggin' all of Germany: 371
El Paso: 284
Nueces: 188
Williamson: 169
Hays: 117
Harris: 113 

They don't have the COVID.  BTW, Friggin' all of Italy put up 126 cases yesterday.  Still more than Hays, but better than WilCo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Cases from yesterday among various Texas counties and the Federal Republic of Germany:

They don't have the COVID.  BTW, Friggin' all of Italy put up 126 cases yesterday.  Still more than Hays, but better than WilCo.

Hay's numbers are not complete. Today's update at 5PM will push these up higher. Was only 56 on Saturday which is way lower than previous days. 

I believe the med center has been bleeding over 120 vents a day. If they dont get a refill or we dont change things soon, we will run outta vents in less than 11 days.

and no, we cant use OR vents because the co2 filter/sodasorb will only last hours (youre gonna need weeks of function, not hours.. this isnt the OR)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I do as well, but Alex Jones is on top of this, along with his merry band of followers with pre-existing conditions.  He even rolled out his armored personnel carrier (how the hell did that not get taken in the divorce or Sandy Hook lawsuit losses?)

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200628/alex-jones-leads-anti-mask-protest-at-capitol

spacer.png

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm still confused why being forced to wear clothes in public was never a big constitutional crisis.  Isn't that a violation of the same unnamed constitutional right?  At least the mask requirement is intended to protect people from disease, the clothing requirement is just based on one groups outmoded sense of morality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm still confused why being forced to wear clothes in public was never a big constitutional crisis.  Isn't that a violation of the same unnamed constitutional right?  At least the mask requirement is intended to protect people from disease, the clothing requirement is just based on one groups outmoded sense of morality.

Powerful stripper pole lobby pulling strings behind the scenes, imo. 

Reduced market for poles if tiits and coozy hanging out all over the place.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

A friend of mine had one scheduled in Fredericksburg in March that got canceled.  Was supposed to have it again weekend after 4th, same venue.  Just found out they rescheduled for next March.  That is tough.

Not really. It's a wedding. Go get married at the court house and have a reception when this shit dies down. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Not really. It's a wedding. Go get married at the court house and have a reception when this shit dies down. 

I have a buddy getting married in September in Tampa. It was originally scheduled for Memorial Day weekend but was obviously moved.  I seriously doubt it's gonna happen or that people are going to want to fly to it. I certainly don't. I wish they would just announce their getting hitched at the court house and that they will plan a big party next year. Just doesn't make sense to try and force a wedding this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

My nephew has a wedding scheduled at the end of July and at this point I'm skipping. Since it's at a church the restrictions at the state level have no impact on this correct?

I think you are correct.  However, I'm not sure due to the fact that I haven't been to church since the Covid-19 outbreak although they are having services, I haven't kept up with the do's and dont's.

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I have a buddy getting married in September in Tampa. It was originally scheduled for Memorial Day weekend but was obviously moved.  I seriously doubt it's gonna happen or that people are going to want to fly to it. I certainly don't. I wish they would just announce their getting hitched at the court house and that they will plan a big party next year. Just doesn't make sense to try and force a wedding this year.

I'm right there with you. My brother in law is supposed to get married in August, and his fiance is adamant that the wedding will absolutely happen. We won't be going if that's the case. They can be mad all they want, and they can also go fuck themselves. 

7 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Texas or Louisiana?

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Well, the one in Louisiana in Natchitoches, so...

Despite your trick question, NotActually saw through you and is correct.  lol

Edited by SHOOTER12

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm right there with you. My brother in law is supposed to get married in August, and his fiance is adamant that the wedding will absolutely happen. We won't be going if that's the case. They can be mad all they want, and they can also go fuck themselves. 

What annoys me is that they are forcing us to tell them sorry we're not making it to the wedding, which I feel shitty about. Instead of just making the decision for everyone and canceling it

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Well, it is your brother-in-law. Otherwise, I'm sure you would be up for the bachelor party in Vegas.

For what it's worth, I went to my office for a few hours this morning.  Before the recent spike there was usually a fair amount of cars in the parking garage below my building at First and Congress.  Today, on a Monday at 9:00 a.m., it was significantly lighter, even by pandemic standards.  At least in my building, it appears that a lot of people are staying home.  
Traffic was noticeably lighter in Houston this morning. It hasn't been anywhere close to normal in months, but it makes me wonder if a whole lot of employers told their people to stay home again.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

You gotta play the Joe DeRosa bit about "Bridezillas" for your BIL.  It's not his strongest material, but I think about it all the time these days when I hear about weddings still taking place and makes me smile (I'm also smiling because I know I won't be attending any of them, saving myself all kinds of time and money).  The whole "Fuck them, it's MY DAY!" mentality that is pervasive in these women, and he puts a funny spin on it about the dopey fiance going along with it until the very end of the ceremony.  

You're entitled to be a little self-centered on your wedding day, you're basically throwing tens of thousands of dollars for people to do what you tell them to, may as well extend to family and friends.  But acting like that during Covid-19 is just beyond the pale.  I mean some 25-person ceremony outside is one thing, but remember you're not just asking people to sit inside a church hotspot, and then what's probably an indoor reception if it's Texas this time of year (another hotspot), but you're also asking them to travel great distances to be there on airplanes, hotels, ubers, etc.  Three days of exposing themselves and their loved ones so the bride can feel special and not have to move "MY DAY!"  Plus, no idea about your BIL's family.  But if it's anything like most weddings in Texas.  One half of the attendees will be over 65 and highly at-risk.  The other half will be morbidly obese and highly at-risk.  Not a great combo.  

A college roommate of mine just got remarried in San Antonio.  They dialed us all in on Zoom.  It was in their driveway with just their children and their own parents.  And like clockwork, they had a bottle of champagne and an HEB desert tray brought to all ~15 of so of us watching from home from FAVOR, later that night.  It was a cool touch.  And they are not accepting gifts, just asked you make a modest donation to the food pantry of your choice.  It's the best wedding I've been to in years.  

11 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm right there with you. My brother in law is supposed to get married in August... We won't be going if that's the case. They can be mad all they want, and they can also go fuck themselves. 

This makes me miss skipping weddings because they're scheduled on sacred Saturdays in the fall. They deserve the poor attendance and they should feel bad. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Traffic was noticeably lighter in Houston this morning. It hasn't been anywhere close to normal in months, but it makes me wonder if a whole lot of employers told their people to stay home again.

Many companies I deal with that had opened their offices in Houston were told to shut down again and work from home 

4 minutes ago, huge said:

Also Harris seems to be way below the other big counties.  Do we ascribe that to lack of testing?  Because I don't think its because we are a bastion of responsibility and discretion down here on the bayou...

Harris County has more cases than any other county in Texas.  The closest is Dallas County and it's a 10k difference.  Harris is also the most populated, so are you referring to a specific per capita metric?

I have a pretty bad cold, no fever, just a lot of congestion and sore throat. Was thinking about going to get a test. Went to look at different places that run the testing and it’s a shitshow actually trying to get a test. After reading that you have to sit in your vehicle for 4 hours to get a test, said fuck that and I’ll just ride it out and get the antibody test at my next blood donation. 

after reading stories like this, it really makes me think there are so many people like me who aren’t going to wait in a line for 4 hours to get a test. Numbers are probably 2 or 3 times what is actually reported. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

This is what I was referring to. Am I reading this wrongheadedly?

13 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I have a pretty bad cold, no fever, just a lot of congestion and sore throat. Was thinking about going to get a test. Went to look at different places that run the testing and it’s a shitshow actually trying to get a test. After reading that you have to sit in your vehicle for 4 hours to get a test, said fuck that and I’ll just ride it out and get the antibody test at my next blood donation. 

after reading stories like this, it really makes me think there are so many people like me who aren’t going to wait in a line for 4 hours to get a test. Numbers are probably 2 or 3 times what is actually reported. Just my thoughts.

2-3 times what is being reported is a massive understatement. With asymptotic cases and people who don’t get tested combined, it’s probably closer to 8 or ten times what’s reported.

• Like 2

Tests are abundant, accurate, affordable, and alliterative.  Perfect in every way. 

I've been told to pound sand when I asked to be an expedited test done and I know board members at all 3 hospital groups in CenTex /humblebragforRexKramer

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such