COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If gyms and movie theaters were causing problems, they would have been included in the bar shutdown order.

We've went to the YMCA a few times, even took the kids swimming once, and they were far more vigilant and cleaner than walking into a grocery store.  We had to be masked up, had temperature checks at the door, and were spread out, and they cleaned everything as soon as we were done.

Yeah, our Y has its shit together.  

• Like 1

So The NY Times has been a pretty good source of info. I like this page a lot https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html for its overall view of the country and the state breakdowns. The graphics are good too if you have anyone you are sending info to that might have trouble just looking at numbers.

So the other day I stumbled onto 2 really good articles that examine the probable “real” death toll from covid. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html focuses on the Unites States and breaks it down by state. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html attempts to tackle the question on a global level.

It’s some really interesting stuff if you are bored and have a little free time.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/protest-over-bar-shutdown-scheduled-for-11-a-m-at-texas-state-capitol/

spacer.png

Do something that could lead to an outbreak, to show that you are upset that your industry was penalized for contributing heavily to the current outbreak.

These organizers need to police themselves, and call out their fellow bars that were causing problems (the ones all over social media with no social distancing or masks), rather than bitch en masse.

I was informed protests did not lead to the Rona

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

ab3178978ed3a35bbea0824d484995ea.jpg

11 out of 13 hospitals in the valley on divert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah we don’t mention it really ever on this thread, but the RGV is in bad shape. Anyone else hear they closed the beach in south padre? Nevermind, it’s just the county beaches. City beaches still open. Also stop putting ambulances in the beds.

Edited by justhookit
Fixed the south padre beach stuff

8 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah we don’t mention it really ever on this thread, but the RGV is in bad shape. Anyone else hear they closed the beach in south padre? Also stop putting ambulances in the beds.

I know Brownsville is asking for National Guard help to set up field hospitals. I have a cousin that works at a hospital in Harlingen, she says their ER got absolutely flooded with people with simple colds, coughs, fevers, basic flu that thought they had COVID. They are getting increasing amounts of critically ill COVID patients but the problem is being made worse by the panic.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I know Brownsville is asking for National Guard help to set up field hospitals. I have a cousin that works at a hospital in Harlingen, she says their ER got absolutely flooded with people with simple colds, coughs, fevers, basic flu that thought they had COVID. They are getting increasing amounts of critically ill COVID patients but the problem is being made worse by the panic.

Makes sense and I bet we see that same situation play out lots of places. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If gyms and movie theaters were causing problems, they would have been included in the bar shutdown order.

We've went to the YMCA a few times, even took the kids swimming once, and they were far more vigilant and cleaner than walking into a grocery store.  We had to be masked up, had temperature checks at the door, and were spread out, and they cleaned everything as soon as we were done.

Look at the rise in restaurant credit card spending (which includes bars), and it correlates with the major outbreaks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/26/this-chart-shows-the-link-between-restaurant-spending-and-new-coronavirus-cases.html

Some of those protest gatherings were pretty large and none adhered to the social distancing. The bars I have been to since opening have done a great job of isolating people.  It sucks that they’re being punished for others’ mistakes.  I guess that’s just the way things are though.  I would say gyms are probably cleaner now than ever before.  You don’t even have to worry about staph from how much they are spraying stuff down.  Makes you wonder why they weren’t doing it before actually.

Edit: JMO.  Not arguing.

Edited by Fondren & Main

29 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

ab3178978ed3a35bbea0824d484995ea.jpg

11 out of 13 hospitals in the valley on divert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so where do they divert to? i mean...it's the valley, it's not like they're surrounded by smaller bedroom communities with medical facilities...

Some of those protest gatherings were pretty large and none adhered to the social distancing. The bars I have been to since opening have done a great job of isolating people.  It sucks that they’re being punished for others’ mistakes.  I guess that’s just the way things are though.  I would say gyms are probably cleaner now than ever before.  You don’t even have to worry about staph from how much they are spraying stuff down.  Makes you wonder why they weren’t doing it before actually.

Edit: JMO.  Not arguing.

Nm

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fred and Rita are from Harligen.  I forget how I'm kin to them.  Hope they're okay.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

Or maybe they want to blame construction?

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

They weren’t able to pull together the story about kids transmitting the virus via playground equipment in time.

So they ran with construction. 

I'm guessing neither of y'all actually clicked to read/watch the story. APH provided them the available data that they had on work related clusters, not all of which were in construction.

43 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This is troubling. 

1 hour ago, rpspeed said:

I was informed protests did not lead to the Rona

Look, protests for causes you DO NOT support DO lead to Rona, and protests for causes you DO support DO NOT! 

Try and keep up!

Edited by ABSR

Some good news....

Only 280 new cases in Harris County today.  Down 70% from last Tuesday (944).  That should help drive Texas case numbers down, too, which appear to be dropping per Google.

Edit: also no deaths

Edited by htown85
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, htown85 said:

Some good news....

Only 280 new cases in Harris County today.  Down 70% from last Tuesday (944).  That should help drive Texas case numbers down, too, which appear to be dropping per Google.

6975 cases today in Texas.  First time over 6K. 

So....

3 hours ago, whithou said:

Update from my hospital in Houston. We are opening up another ICU and downgrade unit for COVID patients. Currently our four ICUs are full. For the patients that are in our emergency center I've heard from nurses there that they are reaching out to hospitals in places like College Station and Huntsville to take our COVID ICU patients since we are out of space. I worked overtime this week to make up for how short staffed we are as nurses are starting to have symptoms of COVID and calling in. We are pulling nurses from downgrade floors to take our patients, which is super unsafe since they don't have ICU experience. We did stop elective procedures this week on my unit but I'm worried that these patients that aren't able to get cardiac caths done will eventually come in emergently after having a heart attack. We had several of these the first time we shut down elective procedures. 

Just curious, did y'all consider cross-training nurses to prepare for this? It seems like all the nurses and doctors knew there'd be a nursing shortage. 

Good luck and thank you!

3 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Link?  I'm not disputing it, just wondering where to get data from.  If I google "Texas Coronavirus Cases" it shows a decline starting to occur.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200630/texas-breaks-previous-daily-record-with-nearly-7000-new-coronavirus-cases

And also

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/THD/views/COVIDExternalQC/COVIDTrends?:isGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&:embed=y

Edited by Js1

601 confirmed cases in Dallas + 20 deaths.   No doubt those deaths are aggregated over the past few days (always seems to happen on Tuesdays) but still not good.  And case numbers don't seem to be part of a Tuesday dump anymore.  It's a new record number of cases but we've seen records basically set almost every day for the past week.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Thanks.  Looks like there was a decline starting before today.  Makes it appear even worse in smaller counties since Harris had such a big drop.

11 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Some good news....

LOLNOPE, new record of 6,975 cases today, per the Statesman just now.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

2 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

LOLNOPE, new record of 6,975 cases today, per the Statesman just now.

Yeah, sucks.  At least we have some good trajectory in Houston.  Hopefully we'll see it through the rest of the state soon.

3 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Thanks.  Looks like there was a decline starting before today.  Makes it appear even worse in smaller counties since Harris had such a big drop.

I'm happy about the Harris numbers, as I'll be flying in tomorrow.  The downward trend of their numbers is making me less anxious. 

If you are going to focus on cases, there is no reason to look at anything other than the 7 day average.  There is too much variation in reporting results day to day.  And now I've seen numerous reports that due to the demand for tests the lag time is creeping back up again (in Dallas the free drive-through tests are reportedly 8 day lag on average).  I can't fathom any metro area in Texas is trending in the right direction case wise if looking at 7 day average.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, B00M said:

Just curious, did y'all consider cross-training nurses to prepare for this? It seems like all the nurses and doctors knew there'd be a nursing shortage. 

Good luck and thank you!

They did cross train nurses in anticipation of our surge staffing. I had nurses from the OR, PACU, and downgrade units shadow me. The cross training is really just for nurses from other units to get a feel for how it is in the ICU as under their scope they still cannot do ICU tasks. Currently I take care of 1-2 ICU patients. When we do switch to surge staffing I will be taking care of 3-6 ICU patients and have 1-3 nurses under me to do non-ICU tasks. Which isn't that helpful as the nurses assisting me will not be able to manage the ventilator or titrate medications which is a big part of COVID patient care. 

Edited by whithou
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If you are going to focus on cases, there is no reason to look at anything other than the 7 day average.  There is too much variation in reporting results day to day.  And now I've seen numerous reports that due to the demand for tests the lag time is creeping back up again (in Dallas the free drive-through tests are reportedly 8 day lag on average).  I can't fathom any metro area in Texas is trending in the right direction case wise if looking at 7 day average.

That's actually trending down, too.  For the sake of transparency, I'm just going off the @HoustonHealth twitter account for the Houston Health Department (www.houstonhealth.org).  I'm not going to act like their data is the best, but it seems to be a logical source to rely on.  Their 7-day average has been flat/declining since Friday.

• Like 1

158 in Hays. Was interesting the county left off the total count of new cases, instead focusing on 1 death and the number of recovered. 

Oh, and 17 hospitalizations. We have a total of 23 Emergency room or ICU beds from the last information I saw from Judge Becerra. Anyone know the real count? 

Edited by InkaUtexas

Anecdotal, employee had to get tested because her son has it and she's showing symptoms.  Went today and they said she'd have her results in 7-10 days.  What happened to the rapid test results? Luckily we let her work from home yesterday because her son was in town so no exposure in office.

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This just kind of illustrates the reporting problem.  So "Texas" reports 21 deaths.  Dallas reports 20 deaths.   I highly doubt only 1 other death in the State.  How the hell have we not managed to sync up reporting?  Like, I dunno, every County has to provide data they will release that day to the State by 2 PM so the State can release at 5PM.  Doesn't seem that difficult. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This just kind of illustrates the reporting problem.  So "Texas" reports 21 deaths.  Dallas reports 20 deaths.   I highly doubt only 1 other death in the State.  How the hell have we not managed to sync up reporting?  Like, I dunno, every County has to provide data they will release that day to the State by 2 PM so the State can release at 5PM.  Doesn't seem that difficult. 

I read somewhere that the state number is a day old, which could be why Tuesdays are so high since some counties don't report on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, htown85 said:

I read somewhere that the state number is a day old, which could be why Tuesdays are so high since some counties don't report on Sunday.

Yup just reporting lag. Dallas is big enough to have its own public health reporting infrastructure (like Houston, Los Angeles, etc.) so they can report the day they send the data to DSHS. DSHS won't have the number in theirs until the following day. 

Ideally you would get the number from the CDC as it's likely Dallas sends their info directly to the CDC as well as to DSHS. CDC would then have the true aggregate as they are supposed to remove Dallas from the number they receive from DSHS, but it gets messy and double counting is inevitable. It's possible for COVID that CDC is only receiving data from state agencies but for other reportable diseases it can come from municipal public health departments as well. 

Yeah that tells a different story.  I don't know.  I guess pick whatever fits your narrative just like every other 2020 conversation?

I don’t have a narrative. I was one of the ones early on saying this would be a whole bunch of nothing, just like the chicken little Ebola thread a few years ago. I admit to being wrong.

I got scared in March when no one knew if this thing was spreading like crazy in Texas like it was in New York. It wasn’t and l thought the worst was behind us in May. The mid-to-late June numbers for Texas are pretty scary. We’re on an upward trajectory that’s not showing signs of abating. Daily numbers will fluctuate.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Ector County (Odessa) reports confirmed and probable cases. The number on the website linked above (BNO Newsroom) is showing only the confirmed cases.  The probable cases are all from rapid testing done at a private site and are all positive, like an additional 200+ cases.  The Ector County Health Dept. doesn't consider the rapid test accurate enough to report them as confirmed cases. However,  a doctor at one of the hospitals basically came out and said the test were accurate and those probable cases should be listed as confirmed.

Odessa gonna Odessa...

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/new-details-from-ector-county-officials-on-wednesday-paint-new-picture-of-total-covid-19-case-count/513-1f8ad4b6-7b32-427a-8082-307b63570206

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such