COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

For fuck's sake, second week in a row.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/group-to-hold-anti-mask-protest-in-downtown-austin-today/

Anti-mask protesters gathered for a “Shed the Mask, Don the Flag” demonstration in downtown Austin Saturday.

The protest took place in front of the Governor’s Mansion starting at 10 a.m. Organizers encouraged people to meet at the H-E-B on Ed Bluestein Blvd. ahead of time, so the group could drive into downtown Austin and flood the streets with traffic, creating a “lock-in

Spoiler

spacer.png

Wait, I thought they were protesting the mask order, but they are wearing masks.  *not sure if serious*

Spoiler

spacer.png

Shit like this is why we are headed towards another lockdown.

• Like 2

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/texas-dshs-to-distribute-28-cases-of-remdesivir-to-10-austin-area-hospitals/

The Texas Department of State Health Services is expected to distribute 28 cases of remdesivir, an antiviral drug used to help treat the coronavirus, to ten Austin area hospitals.

Counties included are:

• 2 hospitals in Hays County
  • 20 hospitals in Travis County
  • 6 hospitals in Williamson County

This is the sixth round of distribution of the drug from the federal government. This is the largest distribution at 448 cases, and the release said it is enough to treat approximately 1,792 patients. This brings the state total to 1,425 cases distributed since May 12.

What the fuck is going on in Alpine?
And while I think he's a little too much ball gamey, we do have the hospitals starting to overflow and send patients out-of-county, at least here in Texas.

Probably tourists from the big metros bringing it out to BB region. I was really scared that'd happen.

More decent news.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/city-of-austin-modifying-operations-due-to-rise-in-coronavirus-cases-hospitalizations/

Austin Public Health will launch neighborhood COVID-19 testing sites starting Monday, July 6.

The testing will be set up for people in neighborhoods where high case numbers have been reported. Residents of those neighborhoods will be prioritized for testing.

APH is contracting with a company called imaware, which will provide the pop-up testing sites.

The testing sites will not be drive-thru only, so people who live in the area can come on foot or by bike, although they’re encouraged to come by vehicle, if possible.

People will be asked to enroll for testing online or over the phone. Walk-ups will be accepted at the sites, but appointments won’t be guaranteed day-of for those who don’t schedule in advance.

The first two pop-up testing locations will be the Southeast Branch Library (5803 Nuckols Crossing Rd. in Austin) and the Little Walnut Creek Library (835 W. Rundberg Ln. in Austin). Both of those sites will be testing individuals on Monday.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:
8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
What the fuck is going on in Alpine?
And while I think he's a little too much ball gamey, we do have the hospitals starting to overflow and send patients out-of-county, at least here in Texas.

Probably tourists from the big metros bringing it out to BB region. I was really scared that'd happen.

When we were staying in Alpine a few years ago, I had to see a doctor for an odd rash (turned out to be an allergic reaction to some weirdass fabric softener).  We had to drive to another town.    Would not take much to overwhelm them, and they don't exactly have a lot of ambulances to be moving people to Fort Stockton or El Paso or wherever.

Maybe a dumb question, but given the lag in getting test results, what does “64 new hospital admissions” mean exactly? That we are just now getting back 64 positive tests on people that were admitted at some time in the past? Or 64 people were admitted today with suspected COVID, and we are waiting on test results? 

Or maybe hospitals get same day results on their tests, so this is a moot issue. 

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well I isolated for 11 days (until 14 days after exposure) when I learned that I had been in contact with someone who tested positive. But my company was allowing me to work from home so that situation doesn't apply to the vast majority of people, as you imply. If testing is going to take 10-14 days then having people get tested to determine their next step is pointless.

Well it’s probably worse than pointless but I think you and I would agree on that. Welcome back. This thread is actually ok.

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Maybe a dumb question, but given the lag in getting test results, what does “64 new hospital admissions” mean exactly? That we are just now getting back 64 positive tests on people that were admitted at some time in the past? Or 64 people were admitted today with suspected COVID, and we are waiting on test results? 

Or maybe hospitals get same day results on their tests, so this is a moot issue. 

It’s actually a good question. Nobody knows because there is no one size fits all guideline for any given city, county or state.

here in Nueces county hospital tests are instant. No idea how they are counting the other cases.

I realize deaths are a lagging indicator but when does that spike kick in?

6/16 was the day the daily cases spiked from 2k to 4k and since then we have spiked to 8k.

Deaths still have never exceeded 58 in a day which happened on 5/14 before the protests and a solid month before the case spikes.

With as much hand wringing as is done here over hospital capacity I'd expect the bodies to start piling up in greater capacity.

Edited by Pimphand

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I realize deaths are a lagging indicator but when does that spike kick in?

6/16 was the day the daily cases spiked from 2k to 4k and since then we have spiked to 8k.

Deaths still have never exceeded 58 in a day which happened on 5/14 before the protests and a solid month before the case spikes.

With as much hand wringing as is done here over hospital capacity I'd expect the bodies to start piling up in greater capacity.

From what I understand - Since younger people are getting it, hospitalization stays are shorter and it’s less likely an infection will result in death.  There are also reports that the virus is less deadly than it used to be.  Personally I think the unknown long term health effects of the virus is the more concerning threat than death at this point.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, htown85 said:

From what I understand - Since younger people are getting it, hospitalization stays are shorter and it’s less likely an infection will result in death.  There are also reports that the virus is less deadly than it used to be.  Personally I think the unknown long term health effects of the virus is the more concerning threat than death at this point.

I dont think we will see deaths ramp up like NY because we are being more careful about clusters of olds being exposed to it.  I think instead it will be a slow trickle.  Hospitals get saturated, docs have to make more and more decisions on who gets the necessary care and who doesn't.  Grandpas will get punted to save 50 year olds.  If we don't get shit under control, 50 year olds will eventually get punted to save 30 year olds.  Younger people do seem to handle it better, but every ER seems to tell the story of the oddball 20 year old that they have to put on a vent.  As those oddballs stack up, the triage line just moves younger and younger.  

And as htown85 said, the bigger problem is the long term effects of COVID.  Youngs are able to get past the disease without much assistance, but the lung damage is going to bite them in the ass later in life.  We may have an entire generation of people that will spend their retirement years dragging oxygen tanks around behind them.  

• Like 6

I should also add, that the dismissal of everything except an alarming death rate seems to have some people thinking all is well.  The longer we operate at or above capacity, the more people will die do to lack of care because of those triage decisions.  They may not add up to a death spike that gets people attentions, but its still a death that didn't need to happen.  We dont even seem to be reactive until shit is bad.  

"Cases aren't rising here so I think we are ok"

"Cases are rising, but hospitalization rates aren't, so I think we are ok"

"Hospitalizations are up, but deaths aren't spiking, so I think we are ok"

So our next step seems to be is "deaths are rising, but we are still doing better than NY, so I think we are ok?"

• Like 9

This isn't exclusively a Texas thing either as basically Florida is doing the exact same thing just doing it even better than TX
Worth noting that Texas and Florida have both exhibited highly elevated pneumonia deaths this year. I don't know what those numbers look like right now and they're on quite a reporting lag anyway. But as early as May both states had hit or surpassed their recent annual pneumonia deaths, the surge there is likely COVID.

37 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I dont think we will see deaths ramp up like NY because we are being more careful about clusters of olds being exposed to it.  I think instead it will be a slow trickle.  Hospitals get saturated, docs have to make more and more decisions on who gets the necessary care and who doesn't.  Grandpas will get punted to save 50 year olds.  If we don't get shit under control, 50 year olds will eventually get punted to save 30 year olds.  Younger people do seem to handle it better, but every ER seems to tell the story of the oddball 20 year old that they have to put on a vent.  As those oddballs stack up, the triage line just moves younger and younger.  

And as htown85 said, the bigger problem is the long term effects of COVID.  Youngs are able to get past the disease without much assistance, but the lung damage is going to bite them in the ass later in life.  We may have an entire generation of people that will spend their retirement years dragging oxygen tanks around behind them.  

The cases with severe or permanent lung damage are rare. It wont be an entire generation, or even close to it. 

8 minutes ago, landman said:

The cases with severe or permanent lung damage are rare. It wont be an entire generation, or even close to it. 

That’s not clear at all. In a small study of asymptomatic subjects, 2/3rds of scans revealed ground glass opacities in at least one lung.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s not clear at all. In a small study of asymptomatic subjects, 2/3rds of scans revealed ground glass opacities in at least one lung.

Is ground glass opacity indicative of permanent lung damage?  It sounds awful, but it apparently occurs in all kinds of lung diseases and inflammations.  I see references to "may not heal."

• Like 1

Found out someone who my mom works with kept coming to work after his wife got tested while they waited for results.  She is positive.  Good job dumbfuck, you just exposed everyone you work with needlessly.

Edited by kevwun

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Found out someone who my mom's works with kept coming to work after his wife got tested while they waited for results.  She is positive.  Good job dumbfuck, you just exposed everyone you work with needlessly.

Wtf is wrong with people. 

Guest Lobo

To Kevwun's story and point.......
That is going to start happening with even greater frequency as workplaces are opened up -AND- we are now in a testing cycle where it takes about 10 days to get results.  

No politics, but we're fucking SIX months into this thing and while I'm not a physician nor a public health official, maybe our testing system isn't perfect after all?  Maybe, just throwing it out there.  Yes anybody who wants a test, can get a test.  But if it takes 10-14 days to get the results, then what the fuck's the point?  Unless these labs have been ordered to throttle down the turnaround time so as to eventually discourage people from getting tested in the first place?  I know, I know...that's a conspiracy theory and thankfully nobody has put any of those out about Wuhan Flu.  

As for dumbfuckery on the 4th.  I was pleasantly surprised that everybody at the fireworks stand we went to was practicing decent social distancing/masks/sanitizer/etc.  Wasn't great, but not the free-for-all shitshow I was expecting.  The one thing that worried me is one of our neighbors took her three kids on a flight to Las Vegas last week.  Came home and decided to renovate the kids bathroom.  Crew of three hispanic laborers, they don't wear masks and neither does her family despite them all being right on top of each other all day.  My wife asked her politely about the renovations (color scheme/sink/etc.) and neighbor somehow segued it into saying it was no big deal that nobody, including the workers, were masking up during the workday because Coronavirus doesn't hurt kids and the workers don't really count since they're undocumented.  They should all be in 10-day self-quarantine after 4 plane rides, but instead she's got 3 workers and 3 kids and they're all breathing on each other for a bathroom remodel that could just as easily be done next year.  I wouldn't have cared or given it a second thought aside from her blatant racism, but last night their youngest daughter was and my oldest were doing sparklers and poppers and all that.  And she would just not listen about socially distancing from my daughter while we did this.  I'd have them stand far away from me extend their arm and extend the firework out and I'd do the same and use a long lighter.  But these little balls of Corona transfers wouldn't listen over and over again about staying apart from the other kids.  If you're on my driveway, with my daughter, lighting my fireworks...then my fucking rules.  

Edited by Lobo

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

To Kevwun's story and point.......
That is going to start happening with even greater frequency as workplaces are opened up -AND- we are now in a testing cycle where it takes about 10 days to get results.  

No politics, but we're fucking SIX months into this thing and while I'm not a physician nor a public health official, maybe our testing system isn't perfect after all?  Maybe, just throwing it out there.  Yes anybody who wants a test, can get a test.  But if it takes 10-14 days to get the results, then what the fuck's the point?  Unless these labs have been ordered to throttle down the turnaround time so as to eventually discourage people from getting tested in the first place?  I know, I know...that's a conspiracy theory and thankfully nobody has put any of those out about Wuhan Flu.  

Correct.  While I sympathize with kevwun, I'm also beyond furious at my own testing situation.

Someone at work I spent some time with a few weeks ago ended up testing a positive, so I (being the thoughtful co-worker that I am) went and got a test on June 29 - they said it would be 5-7 days for the results.  Called yesterday and now they tell me 10-14 days - that people tested earlier than me haven't gotten the results back.

Fuck this - I'm asymptomatic but am now quarantined while waiting on test results...which I may not get back for another week.

If I had know it would take this long at the beginning, I never would have gotten tested.

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is ground glass opacity indicative of permanent lung damage?  It sounds awful, but it apparently occurs in all kinds of lung diseases and inflammations.  I see references to "may not heal."

This is my understanding as well, but I’m not qualified to know. @ChiTownDoc or @Sawbonz?

My point was that I don’t think we know whether or not a significant percentage of survivors will suffer long term health problems. I’ve heard people throw around 10%, which sounds like a guess to me. That would also be a HUGE number of people. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So I didn’t do my planned drive-by past Bull Creek greenbelt yesterday to see if the crowds were there despite City park closings and general common sense. I just had a distanced happy hour on a friend’s back deck. Anyone see instances of dumbfuckery on July 4th?

Went golfing at Forest Creek in WilCo (Round Rock? Pflugerville?). Houses all along the course. For the most part looked like families/small gatherings at the pool but there were a couple larger house parties.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When we were staying in Alpine a few years ago, I had to see a doctor for an odd rash (turned out to be an allergic reaction to some weirdass fabric softener).  We had to drive to another town.    Would not take much to overwhelm them, and they don't exactly have a lot of ambulances to be moving people to Fort Stockton or El Paso or wherever.

Yeah, there's one hospital in Alpine with like a dozen or two dozen beds, and that really serves the whole region. I have no idea what the critical care capacity is, if any at all. Beyond that, drive for hours. Alpine is already quite a drive for a hospital from Terlingua, Marfa, Marathon, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Correct.  While I sympathize with kevwun, I'm also beyond furious at my own testing situation.

Someone at work I spent some time with a few weeks ago ended up testing a positive, so I (being the thoughtful co-worker that I am) went and got a test on June 29 - they said it would be 5-7 days for the results.  Called yesterday and now they tell me 10-14 days - that people tested earlier than me haven't gotten the results back.

Fuck this - I'm asymptomatic but am now quarantined while waiting on test results...which I may not get back for another week.

If I had know it would take this long at the beginning, I never would have gotten tested.

How long has it been since you were exposed? 3 weeks? Seems like you've quarantined long enough to me... 

We were at my wife’s family’s place on Lake McQueeney. We had a small group and so did most houses we drove by on the boat besides one exception. We stayed outside besides one or two people at a time in the house.

The Miami house as we call it had around 30-50 early to mid 20 year olds and they kept cramming 15 or so people on their Super Air Nautique.

38 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Wtf is wrong with people. 

The spreader is dumb and selfish as fuck but it also falls on whoever has the office/workplace open if it doesn't need to be done in person. I have no idea why any office setting is having people come in. Totally pointless. This is the only thing that can come of it.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo
11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is my understanding as well, but I’m not qualified to know. @ChiTownDoc or @Sawbonz?

My point was that I don’t think we know whether or not a significant percentage of survivors will suffer long term health problems. I’ve heard people throw around 10%, which sounds like a guess to me. That would also be a HUGE number of people. 

I've got some underlying conditions that I hope won't make me susceptible to Coronavirus' later-in-life/long-term effects, but certainly could (to the tune of higher than 10%).  

But if I do have problems down the road, I hope to be in my 80's in a  bed surrounded by loved ones who don't yet know that I'm sick.  And I let out a cough, and a small, elderly Asian man named Pagoda points at me and says, "He has the Covid."  

Edited by Lobo

Guest Lobo

Thanks for editing the fuck out of my post so now it looks like I said that.  Dickweed.  I'm the one on the street with three houses with minorities in them, and then three houses who think Covid19 is bullshit (no overlap).  We also have three homes with frontline healthcare workers living inside them (no overlap with the hoax homes obviously, but overlap with health care).  What a weird mixture now that I think about it. 

But yeah, really uncool of my neighbors to basically think that it's okay to pass along their travel germ spit droplets to these three laborers because they're beneath them.  I did not have that on my 2020 cul-de-sac bingo card.  I'm scared what else I'm gonna find out since we've all been hanging out outside together so much lately.  Some other Fuck Covid, let's leave the house unmasked 6x a day while a dozen guys are putting in our swimming pool, neighbors of ours are off the rails with their denial.  But I can't say anything to them because the pool is almost done and I want to see her in a swimsuit as she's a 35 year old former Baylor cheerleader with a (relatively) new boob job and works on her ass three hours a day.  Not all heroes wear capes. 

Edited by Lobo

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I've got some underlying conditions that I hope won't make me susceptible to Coronavirus' later-in-life/long-term effects, but certainly could (to the tune of higher than 10%).  

But if I do have problems down the road, I hope to be in my 80's in a  bed surrounded by loved ones who don't yet know that I'm sick.  And I let out a cough, and a small, elderly Asian man named Pagoda points at me and says, "He has the Covid."  

Screen_Shot_2013-10-11_at_3.56.56_PM.png

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Thanks for editing the fuck out of my post so now it looks like I said that.  Dickweed.  I'm the one on the street with three houses with minorities in them, and then three houses who think Covid19 is bullshit (no overlap).  We also have three homes with frontline healthcare workers living inside them (no overlap with the hoax homes obviously, but overlap with health care).  What a weird mixture now that I think about it. 

But yeah, really uncool of my neighbors to basically think that it's okay to pass along their travel germ spit droplets to these three laborers because they're beneath them.  I did not have that on my 2020 cul-de-sac bingo card.  I'm scared what else I'm gonna find out since we've all been hanging out outside together so much lately.  Some other Fuck Covid, let's leave the house unmasked 6x a day while a dozen guys are putting in our swimming pool, neighbors of ours are off the rails with their denial.  But I can't say anything to them because the pool is almost done and I want to see her in a swimsuit as she's a 35 year old former Baylor cheerleader with a (relatively) new boob job and works on her ass three hours a day.  Not all heroes wear capes. 

Take a break from the internet man.

• Like 3

Guest Lobo
13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Seriously, is there another poster more tightly wound than Lobo?  

Jesus dude, have a CNS depressant of your own choosing before you stroke out. 

Yeah dude, I got.  When somebody responds to a post by calling that person a "dickweed", it's universally understood that they were taking it lightly (other acceptable responses would include "dicknose", "shitburger" or any number of other junior high references).  You should be more interested in getting pics of my hot neighbor now that their pool is done.  

I don't know a CNS depressant is but I don't take pills.  Like my mentor Rafi, I only smoke drugs.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah dude, I got.  When somebody responds to a post by calling that person a "dickweed", it's universally understood that they were taking it lightly (other acceptable responses would include "dicknose", "shitburger" or any number of other junior high references).  You should be more interested in getting pics of my hot neighbor now that their pool is done.  

I don't know a CNS depressant is but I don't take pills.  Like my mentor Rafi, I only smoke drugs.  

Looks like you had some kind of technical error, te pics aren't showing up. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such