COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well get on it man! We can use the wreath fund to repatriate you if need be. 

It's going to happen, but I think we'll have to spend an extra night in Erie, PA, so that I can get into and out of the state in one day unless they place a quarantine on Texans too. But if Ohio follows suit, she's just going to have to fly alone and I'll bring the car later.

Shifting sands...

Edit: Wait, fuck, I wouldn't be able to get back to PA for the flight back without riding a bus. GDmit.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

Well, not to get too up and personal into your shit...but when is this actual excursion scheduled for?  Because we are gonna have another bizarre move after the runoff announcements are made that will shift our state leadership’s thinking and may cause them to hem and haw about what we do next and how the rest of the nation perceives us.  

and fuck you “no CR” fucksticks.  I’m a girldad trying to help another one help his daughter.  You don’t understand that, then fuck off you worthless pieces of inventory. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well, not to get too up and personal into your shit...but when is this actual excursion scheduled for?  Because we are gonna have another bizarre move after the runoff announcements are made that will shift our state leadership’s thinking and may cause them to hem and haw about what we do next and how the rest of the nation perceives us.  

and fuck you “no CR” fucksticks.  I’m a girldad trying to help another one help his daughter.  You don’t understand that, then fuck off you worthless pieces of inventory. 

Up until last week, the first day of class had been scheduled for Aug 29, but they suddenly shifted the fall schedule forward to the 19th with plans to shut shit down at Thanksgiving. So, yeah, it's a moving target. Right now, she needs to be there by the 5th at the latest because of the quarantine.

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

this we can agree on. and yea you are going CR...

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Does she have a place where she can receive mail up there already? 

She's moving into an apartment with her best friend, so 'yes'? Her friend, though, is from Tucson and AZ is also on the quarantine list.

My ex-wife has all the details but she refuses to talk to me - even for logistics planning (I said, biiIITCH!). It's fucked up because she's the one who cheated on me, precipitating the divorce.

Irregardless, I'm realizing now how ill prepared this all is with the previously expected move in date shifting from late to early August.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo
21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this we can agree on. and yea you are going CR...

Why don’t let the people who get shit done for a living talk?  And you can give yourself a runner up statue for your troubles?   The way Texans will travel to the East Coast for the foreseeable future is unfortunately, whether you like to admit it or not, now largely dependent on politics.  This guy is a in a serious  conundrum with regard to his Daughter and travel because some of the people you jerk off to at night didn’t get their heads out of their asses for a few months.  And between you and I, The governor has only been into one of our homes so you want to check my political bona fides, go fuck yourself first

Let the men talk about the challenges we have with regard to our children and you go discuss the challenges you have period.  

what happens in the next few weeks severely impacts this man’s travel plans and the fate of his daughters next year of higher education.  What we need you to do is to shut the fuck up and let men With serious responsibilities discussed options.

there is plenty of time for you to blow Dan Patrick later 

Y'all may or may not remember but my daughter is deaf, so I'm probably a little over protective of her when it comes to her traveling alone and such. It's just an added stress that gets me worked up. Physically, she can handle her shit because she's 6'1", but to me she's still that small child I used to cradle in my arms.

• Like 3

Guest Lobo

If she’s living around that NW New York accent for the foreseeable future; consider hearing impairment a subtle blessing.  

google Tully New York.  It’s not too far from Rochester.  Our trucking company’s HQ2 is located there.  Bullshit aside, we may able to work out an essential travel permit that allows you to enter and be in NY no questions asked and protect your daughter so she doesn’t get hassled being from Texas.  We are one of the largest trucking companies back east and there’s no way an upstate cop won’t recognize our name and logo and probably not mess with you both, provided you don’t cough in his face.  

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott didn't do the statewide mask thing for nothing.  The numbers have him spooked enough he's wiling to risk pissing some people off.

Yeah, I'm guessing county judges and mayors more or less have carte blanche at this point.

Y'all may or may not remember but my daughter is deaf, so I'm probably a little over protective of her when it comes to her traveling alone and such. It's just an added stress that gets me worked up. Physically, she can handle her shit because she's 6'1", but to me she's still that small child I used to cradle in my arms.

Go get a test before you leave. In ME, RI, and VT they are allowing visitors to enter without quarantine if they have a negative test within 72 hours prior to arrival. Not sure if NY has a similar option but it is worth looking into.
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Go get a test before you leave. In ME, RI, and VT they are allowing visitors to enter without quarantine if they have a negative test within 72 hours prior to arrival. Not sure if NY has a similar option but it is worth looking into.

Austin to Lubbock to Dayton to Maine to Rochester.  This is gonna be the greatest fucking chapter in the Smokey and the Bandit Quadrilogy!  

I want a full report! 

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I enjoyed the waterfall they have downtown and the freshwater beach.

I grew up about 45 minutes south of Rochester and my summer job in college was at the Genesee Brewery next to the falls. Every employee received 2 cases of beer a month. Not to mention the free beers during and after work. 

I also attended basketball camp at RIT as a high school student. It was my first exposure to people who were deaf. We would try hitting on the college girls attending summer session or the ones there for figure skating camp. Good times. 

Drive her to Erie then take an Uber to the Cleveland airport? Is there an exception for taking a family member to college?

Edited by HornPhD
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

I think she may have an issue flying to NY as well, but could probably be worked around with proper documentation with her new school.

If D2D logistics is what you need for the car, I'd suggest Schneider or Beacon.  If our fleet had anything in our fleet that could carry a car, I'd offer it you at cost...but we're just straight trucks and refrigerated.  Unless we're talking like a mini cooper or something, which we could make work.  

The hospitalizations for today being incorporated into the numbers actually brought our seven-day rolling average down. By a whole 0.1 per day, but still, that hasn't happened in awhile. Hopeufully this is the beginning of the flattening of that curve and eventually a decrease. It would make sense for us to hopefully start seeing the payoff from the new mask mandates locally (about a weeka go, I think?) and statewide here in this next seven-day window. Fingers crossed. I'm a bit concerned about the 4th, but anecdotally based on social media and what I observed out at the lake Saturday, people are behaving and distancing much better than Memorial Day weekend.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

I grew up about 45 minutes south of Rochester and my summer job in college was at the Genesee Brewery next to the falls. Every employee received 2 cases of beer a month. Not to mention the free beers during and after work. 

I also attended basketball camp at RIT as a high school student. It was my first exposure to people who were deaf. We would try hitting on the college girls attending summer session or the ones there for figure skating camp. Good times. 

Drive her to Erie then take an Uber to the Cleveland airport? Is there an exception for taking a family to college?

Good guess. Yeah, she goes to RIT and is studying digital media. It's an incredible school for all things related to visual communications thanks to generous endowments from Xerox, Kodak, and Bausch & Lomb, all founded in Rochester.

Thanks for the link but I still don't see definitive answers to my questions. And, yeah, the easiest option right now is to just fly her up there and then deliver the vehicle later.

Edited by bolverk

Guest Lobo

Not to berate the point, but if she needs the car for fall semester, our travel lift is not gonna be lifted between TX and NY by then.  If she's okay with having you both, or just you, the car back up there during intra-semester break...remember that our travel lift should be done by then but then you're fucked the other way---you'll be driving into the next wave of winter hotspots and maybe just bring something crappy back to your other friends and family in Texas when you travel back here.  Make a beeline in very late July/early August.  It's your best window for myriad reasons.  

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'm thinking she'll likely need to fly up there alone and once the quarantine is over I can take some time off of work and deliver the car to her then. I dunno. Still trying to figure this out.

Oh, I read it as her already being up there.

Just drive with her up as close as you can get without being quarantined, then fly back while she drives on to her school.

Edited by Armybrat
Welp - didn’t read all the other posts.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Oh, I read it as her already being up there.

Just drive with her up as close as you can get without being quarantined, then fly back while she drives on to her school.

Sounds simple until you start thinking about other states also joining in on the quarantine. PA does it? Okay, maybe doable. If OH does the same? Nope.

Right now, it's impossible to predict the situation one month away.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

do you have a global entry or similar TSA piece of ID?   A passport might work, but those others are better.  You’re gonna a pick her up and drive to New York.  You don’t need a hotel until the lower Midwest who right now have no quarantine with us.   Probably Indiana.  So that’s fine.  You’re gonna fuel up and eat the second day in northern Pennsylvania.  You’re gonna stop her in Rochester and fly back from there. It’s gonna a miserable trip of connecting flights.  But you’re gonna buy a prepaid Visa card tomorrow and use it to book the flight and you’re gonna use her new Rochester address as the Purchasing Address.  She drives you to that airport or buffalo or Syracuse.  you don’t use Ride share.  You present a generic Govt ID (for some reason those global entry cards, nobody ever notices the address).  You don’t enter your rewards program info and you print your boarding pass on paper ahead of time, don’t scan your phone or ID  in the airport itself, just hand them the paper and National ID card, anything that doesn’t have TEXAS printed at the top.  They let you board the plane.  As for her, Your daughter wasn’t in Lubbock this summer.  She wasn’t even in Texas.  It will shock you how much she was never in Texas this summer.   She lays low, social distances, no reason to even alert anybody that got into town when she did, and she’s fine  

this will work and beats the fuck out of spending 14 days in upstste NY.   Next best option is just make the drive with her and say your goodbyes somewhere in northern Pennsylvania and have her drop you at some airport up there to fly home from, thus avoiding New York altogether.  

And when you are startled to see your friend John, make sure and yell out "Hi Jack!" so that he sees you!

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Austin to Lubbock to Dayton to Maine to Rochester.  This is gonna be the greatest fucking chapter in the Smokey and the Bandit Quadrilogy!  

I want a full report! 

"What's a Texas county mountie doing in Rochester?"

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6e0a4e6fa1a27afd3cfbea0015df841e.jpeg

ive posted this somewhere here before but always comes to mind and cracks me up thinking of Oregon trail. 

The guy with the rifle got clipped...somebody slipped Chuck Norris in there?

Haven't seen this posted yet:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/coronavirus-evidence-growing-houston-strain-mutant-15386157.php

Evidence is growing that a mutated coronavirus strain, the main one circulating in the Houston area, is more contagious than the original virus in China.

Two new research papers show that the newer strain is more transmissible, a possibility first suggested by a team of scientists in May. At the time, that suggestion was considered highly speculative by many scientists, including some in Houston.

“A summary of the data thus far suggests that this strain has gained a fitness advantage over the original and is more transmissible as a result,” said Joseph Petrosino, Baylor College of Medicine chair of molecular virology and microbiology. “It is safe to say this version is more infectious.”

Petrosino said that although Baylor hasn’t yet conducted a surveillance study, the area rate of positive tests and increase in hospitalizations point to a significantly higher prevalence of the virus strain now. He said Baylor is finding the mutated strain in as many as 80 percent of viruses it analyzes.

Houston Methodist researchers reported the strain was prevalent in the Houston area in a paper in mid-May. The paper said 70 percent of the specimens examined, taken from COVID-19 patients treated at Methodist from early March to March 30, showed a mutation to the spike proteins the coronavirus uses to attach to and enter human respiratory cells.

The week before, researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory reported on the mutation. They said it doesn’t make people sicker, but appears to facilitate the spread of the virus.

• Like 2

I've been out of town for a week (BTW, the Seattle airport was a shit show last Thursday. Bergstrom was much better in terms of crowds and the percentage of people wearing masks.). Can y'all give me a rundown on how Austin and Texas have been doing this past week and how the prospects are for next week? Considering how the airports were this past week, I expect overall fail for the US. Heavy travel and resort patrons not wearing masks will cause further spread. I thought airplanes were pretty bad too as people weren't wearing masks for a good percentage of the flight as they ate and drank, a decent percentage of patrons using bandanas or not covering their noses, and all kids under 5 not wearing masks.

10 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is my understanding as well, but I’m not qualified to know. @ChiTownDoc or @Sawbonz?

My point was that I don’t think we know whether or not a significant percentage of survivors will suffer long term health problems. I’ve heard people throw around 10%, which sounds like a guess to me. That would also be a HUGE number of people. 

I am just a dumb bone doctor, but I remember a couple of things about the lungs I was taught in training by an internist I greatly respected. The first is he believed humans have enough lung capacity to live 120 years, so it really takes a huge insult to compromise us from a lung standpoint. The second thing is more objective: human performance is limited by cardiac output not lung capacity, Which IMO again points to less worry for long-term pulmonary effects unless there is underlying lung disease such as asthma or COPD. Personally, I worry more about renal  or cardiovascular effects from the virus; thankfully, they seem to be much more rare  than lung issues

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Why don’t let the people who get shit done for a living talk?  And you can give yourself a runner up statue for your troubles?   The way Texans will travel to the East Coast for the foreseeable future is unfortunately, whether you like to admit it or not, now largely dependent on politics.  This guy is a in a serious  conundrum with regard to his Daughter and travel because some of the people you jerk off to at night didn’t get their heads out of their asses for a few months.  And between you and I, The governor has only been into one of our homes so you want to check my political bona fides, go fuck yourself first

Let the men talk about the challenges we have with regard to our children and you go discuss the challenges you have period.  

what happens in the next few weeks severely impacts this man’s travel plans and the fate of his daughters next year of higher education.  What we need you to do is to shut the fuck up and let men With serious responsibilities discussed options.

there is plenty of time for you to blow Dan Patrick later 

what we need you to do, you fucking pea brained hyperventilating twat is to sit down and shut the fuck up.    you ship the car on a truck between gas and everything else it will cost more but it is probably the right call.  I'm sure he can figure it out.  He's a grown man.  You don't do shit for a living but fuck around on the internet talking about how the world is going to end.  

There are 13 states on Cuomo's list and California is one of them(you know the bluest of the blue that shut the fuck down forever everywhere because OMG OMG!).  It has nothing to do with Politics unless you want to say it is Cuomo trying to get back at Texas for doing the same thing when NYC was a clusterfuck.

Edited by dcar00

Guest Lobo

I know, right?   Would this be a good time to tell him I’m not saying the world is going to end?  We are trying to safely reopen my school district and some higher ed institutions.  But facts seem to frighten him.  Oh well, maybe I can talk to him about Trains.  He mentioned trains, maybe thats like an easy thing that makes hiM happy they were could discuss.  

She's moving into an apartment with her best friend, so 'yes'? Her friend, though, is from Tucson and AZ is also on the quarantine list.
My ex-wife has all the details but she refuses to talk to me - even for logistics planning (I said, biiIITCH!). It's fucked up because she's the one who cheated on me, precipitating the divorce.
Irregardless, I'm realizing now how ill prepared this all is with the previously expected move in date shifting from late to early August.

Did she like anal?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Texas mask order won't be enforced by law enforcement in these places

Some elected law enforcement officials worry about lawsuits. Others have said their offices are too busy. Almost all of them that are looking the other way say they believe Texas Governor Greg Abbott has overstepped his bounds.

They're part of a growing number of agencies that are choosing to look the other way when citizens aren't wearing face coverings as ordered by Abbott earlier this week.

This is why she cheated on, divorced, and still refuses to speak to you.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:
18 hours ago, 3adays said:
It was a fun morning at my wife’s grandmother’s house. We had been there since Friday with about 10 family members who’ve been relatively isolated since March. Everything was going well until her uncle who is a commercial airline pilot decided to show up while we were asleep last night.  According to other family members who were still awake, this guy  was in a mask, says one of his flight attendants tested positive in the last week and has a sore throat.
Upon waking up this morning and being informed of this, I promptly packed up our shit and left with my wife and 3 yr old. We were supposed to stay another night, but fuck that!

Why even be there in the first place? Especially around old people. Has everyone just ignored the stories of families having parties and shit, then half the family winds up in the hospital because a single person infected everyone? Irresponsible as fuck.

From Facebook posts that I saw over the weekend, some people just decided that family fun/memories are more important. They probably took some steps to wash hands more frequently or whatever, but washing hands can only help so much if there is 1 sick person in the group.

1 hour ago, Texaus said:

This is why she cheated on, divorced, and still refuses to speak to you.

I know it's not a word. Its usage was meant as a joke much like several other shaggyisms that get bandied about.

Edited by bolverk
I'm not a finominle idoit.

Why not just sell the car and buy a new one up there? Surely that would cost less than shipping or any other convoluted means of avoiding the quarantine?

Also, mask usage in my little slice of East Texas has increased from probably 30% to 99% or so. So that's good. Hopefully people don't get too fatigued and start slacking off.

Just now, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Why not just sell the car and buy a new one up there? Surely that would cost less than shipping or any other convoluted means of avoiding the quarantine?

Also, mask usage in my little slice of East Texas has increased from probably 30% to 99% or so. So that's good. Hopefully people don't get too fatigued and start slacking off.

Not saying this applies to our esteemed colleague bolverk, but I would guess a majority of newer cars on the road are upside down on value.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such