COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, slorch said:
That's insane. Some companies are putting their folks out for 14 days with pay,  regardless on any sick call- then if it comes back negative, oh well.  Better safe than sorry.
It shouldn't be on the employee to make a choice between income and making the right decision for everyone's safety.

New to America?

'nother poster already (fairly) called me out on it and I clarified.   It's a nice luxury to have if you can get it.

Edited by slorch

27 minutes ago, slorch said:

'nother poster already (fairly) called me out on it and I clarified.   It's a nice luxury to have if you can get it.

Your clarification was fine (SORRY MISSED THE "FAIRLY" IN PARENTHESIS  -  It would be nice if I could just delete this post).  I replied to your post because most businesses cannot afford to have all their employees stay home and pay them for it. My patients would be pissed if they couldn't see the doctor because I didn't have any assistants or front desk workers. My guess is that they would see a different doctor who was actually working. Meanwhile, I would still have payroll. I guess this seems easy to some, but pretend it is Torchy's and all the workers stayed home because working was dangerous and Torchy's continued to pay all of its employees. I don't think they could meet payroll for very long with no customers bringing in money. Generally speaking, small businesses and medium-sized businesses need to have at least some healthy workers continue to work in order to bring in enough revenue to pay for the workers who stayed home. But, of course, all sick people need to stay home and should never be out in public. This is true whether we are talking about COVID or any other easily transmittable disease.

Edited by Bevo

A giant swath of the population does not get to stay home from work while they wait for test results, even if they don’t feel 100%.

I completely understand. I’m fortunate that I can do 90% of my daily work from anywhere with an internet connection. My comment was based directly on the tweet by Lance Bottoms. My point was that as the Mayor of Atlanta she should be able to quarantine without having to be around her family and infecting others in her house. I see now she tweeted that it was a proactive test after she attended a funeral and she was not experiencing any symptoms. That changes my opinion/comment.

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Your clarification was fine (SORRY MISSED THE "FAIRLY" IN PARENTHESIS  -  It would be nice if I could just delete this post).  I replied to your post because most businesses cannot afford to have all their employees stay home and pay them for it. My patients would be pissed if they couldn't see the doctor because I didn't have any assistants or front desk workers. My guess is that they would see a different doctor who was actually working. Meanwhile, I would still have payroll. I guess this seems easy to some, but pretend it is Torchy's and all the workers stayed home because working was dangerous and Torchy's continued to pay all of its employees. I don't think they could meet payroll for very long with no customers bringing in money. Generally speaking, small businesses and medium-sized businesses need to have at least some healthy workers continue to work in order to bring in enough revenue to pay for the workers who stayed home. But, of course, all sick people need to stay home and should never be out in public. This is true whether we are talking about COVID or any other easily transmittable disease.

Yes, it is almost as of we need an organized societal response in order to properly and fairly deal with this pandemic so that individuals aren't placed in impossible catch-22 situations. 

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

I'm glad that inanimate statues are getting their long overdue protection from coronavirus. 

Meanwhile my conversation with Ascension yesterday still has their testing lag quoted as "7-14 days"  

We are living the literal definition of insanity right now.  

In this country.  On our watch.  

Yeah, I'm not necessarialy faulting employee or employer. Policy surrounding sick leave in this country puts both in an insane spot. Wrong no matter what.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Read more  

Yeah, I'm not necessarialy faulting employee or employer. Policy surrounding sick leave in this country puts both in an insane spot. Wrong no matter what.

Shit, I've never even worked anywhere where employees got true "sick days."

"Feeling sick? Well, feel free to dig into your PTO balance that you've been accruing at a snail's pace all year." 

Definitely a good idea to put employees in the position of choosing whether to go into work sick or risk missing out on that Cancun trip they were planning.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"Feeling sick? Well, feel free to dig into your PTO balance that you've been accruing at a snail's pace all year." 

Definitely a good idea to put employees in the position of choosing whether to go into work sick or risk missing out on that Cancun trip they were planning.

This is the first place I've worked in the past decade that I have dedicated sick days.  

11 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Dallas Channel 5 reported tonight that one of today’s deaths was in their 20’s and another in their 40’s. Neither had any underlying conditions.

Let’s be careful out there.

My only challenge with this type of reporting is that they never consider obesity an underlying condition. I will say that the math would say you are going to get completely healthy 20 yo catch this and die, the law of big numbers is starting to take hold as the size of the infected population grows.

Stay safe though is right, wash your hands, stay socially distant, don't go to church/bars etc

My only challenge with this type of reporting is that they never consider obesity an underlying condition. I will say that the math would say you are going to get completely healthy 20 yo catch this and die, the law of big numbers is starting to take hold as the size of the infected population grows.
Stay safe though is right, wash your hands, stay socially distant, don't go to church/bars etc

Well I don’t know what they consider an underlying condition. Do you know that they don’t consider obesity an underlying condition or are you merely presuming this? Are you aware of a source for determining what constitutes an underlying condition for this report?

Also I’m not sure who “they” is. I assume it is the Dallas County health department and not NBC 5 making that judgment call but can only speak to what I saw on the news last night.

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Well I don’t know what they consider an underlying condition. Do you know that they don’t consider obesity an underlying condition or are you merely presuming this? Are you aware of a source for determining what constitutes an underlying condition for this report?

Also I’m not sure who “they” is. I assume it is the Dallas County health department and not NBC 5 making that judgment call but can only speak to what I saw on the news last night.

I've kind of assumed all along there is absolute zero consistency as to what is considered an underlying condition.

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I am just saying typically from what I have seen reported that the news will not report the weight of a person who passed as being relevant. When it has been proven that obesity or lack thereof is a major contributor to the severity of CV19 response in an infected person. I am not saying that in this case the 20 yo and 40 yo mentioned in the OP weren't the picture of health, it is just that from what I have observed weight is not being reported as a baseline factor in deaths.

I have seen lots of film from inside the CV19 wards and more often than not, the patients are all overweight. I wish that Travis County would report BMI in addition to the other demographics they report.

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am just saying typically from what I have seen reported that the news will not report the weight of a person who passed as being relevant. When it has been proven that obesity or lack thereof is a major contributor to the severity of CV19 response in an infected person. I am not saying that in this case the 20 yo and 40 yo mentioned in the OP weren't the picture of health, it is just that from what I have observed weight is not being reported as a baseline factor in deaths.

I have seen lots of film from inside the CV19 wards and more often than not, the patients are all overweight. I wish that Travis County would report BMI in addition to the other demographics they report.

I'm not sure obesity itself is the condition of interest, or diabetes.  It may be the additional susceptibility of these people to coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, and vascular insufficiency.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure obesity itself is the condition of interest, or diabetes.  It may be the additional susceptibility of these people to coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, and vascular insufficiency.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/jun/obesity-and-covid-19-can-your-weight-alone-put-you-at-higher-risk/

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.22818

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.22866

Lots of reports that obesity is a significant condition of interest in that cases tend to be more severe in those people that are obese. I am not talking about "the freshman 15" but "Vic Mackey" specials here.

• Like 1

From the CDC website:

The age-adjusted prevalence of obesity among U.S. adults was 42.4% in 2017–2018. The prevalence was 40.0% among younger adults aged 20–39, 44.8% among middle-aged adults aged 40–59, and 42.8% among older adults aged 60 and over. There were no significant differences in prevalence by age group (Figure 1).

Among men, the prevalence of obesity was 40.3% among those aged 20–39, 46.4% among those aged 40–59, and 42.2% among those aged 60 and over. Among women, the prevalence of obesity was 39.7% among those aged 20–39, 43.3% among those aged 40–59, and 43.3% among those aged 60 and over. None of the differences by age were significant.

Figure 1. Prevalence of obesity among adults aged 20 and over, by sex and age: United States, 2017–2018

Figure 1 is a bar chart that shows the prevalence of obesity among adults aged 20 and over, by sex and age, in the United States from 2017 through 2018.

The age-adjusted prevalence of severe obesity among U.S. adults was 9.2% in 2017–2018. Women had a higher prevalence of severe obesity (11.5%) than men (6.9%). The prevalence was highest among adults aged 40–59 (11.5%), followed by adults aged 20–39 (9.1%) and adults aged 60 and over (5.8%). Non-Hispanic black adults had the highest prevalence of severe obesity (13.8%), and non-Hispanic Asian adults had the lowest (2.0%)

Figure 3. Age-adjusted prevalence of severe obesity among adults aged 20 and over, by sex, age, and race and Hispanic origin: United States, 2017–2018

Figure 3 is a bar chart that shows the age-adjusted prevalence of severe obesity among adults aged 20 and over, by sex and age, in the United States from 2017 through 2018.

Here is chart (I have been showing as table) that shows breakdown for Travis County the count of hospitalizations by ethnicity. TCAD shows % of hospitalizations, I take the % and bounce against the total count of hospitalizations in order to get the number by Hispanic, White etc

image.png.93c148326eead3e1ed93fc67c109e0f9.png

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JBJ said:

I'll ask their Manager or the HR Manager tomorrow.  Probably just a CareNow with how we do things.

@Skipper. For COVID, we are telling people to go wherever they want.

Word on the street is MD Medical in Fort Worth (I-30 and Woodhaven) gets you back to work quickly.

At least one just did a CVS drive-thru.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Just off the top of my head this is where some sort of guaranteed basic income would be helpful.  You start the year with a bank of say $2500 to cover emergency leave and you can access it if you meet certain criteria, if not it is credited on your income taxes at the eoy.   

• Like 1

I once did a project with a client where they piloted dedicated sick days in one of their three large sales offices, and that office was the only office that came in below projection (based on demographics) for PTO taken (sick days included) over the next year. Their theory was that fewer people were coming in and getting others sick. It was a pretty significant difference, but done on a smallish/medium sample size (~300 employees in each location). So YMMV.

There are a lot of dumb policies that some bean counter somewhere put into place a decade or two ago that cost companies money because they're penny wise pound foolish. Overtime caps, compensation bands, and the way performance bonuses are structured (you should either get 0% or 10%+, not the 3-5% spread across all employees that most do) are the main ones I see. Bunching PTO with sick days is probably another one, if I had to guess.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JBJ said:

@Skipper. For COVID, we are telling people to go wherever they want.

Word on the street is MD Medical in Fort Worth (I-30 and Woodhaven) gets you back to work quickly.

At least one just did a CVS drive-thru.

Care Now sends off their tests for culturing, and they are saying it could take a week or longer for results currently.  Just an FYI.  

31 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

An undifferentiated PTO bank allows the employee more flexibility, but requires that the employee take into consideration things like "hey, I might get sick and need to save some amount of PTO as a buffer." 

Obviously, a pandemic is a unique situation, and flexibility needs to rule for the time being.  But I strongly prefer a combined PTO pool will accrual that rolls over. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

An undifferentiated PTO bank allows the employee more flexibility, but requires that the employee take into consideration things like "hey, I might get sick and need to save some amount of PTO as a buffer." 

Obviously, a pandemic is a unique situation, and flexibility needs to rule for the time being.  But I strongly prefer a combined PTO pool will accrual that rolls over. 

The point of dedicated sick days is that they don't draw from PTO. Typically when a company moves to them, they're on top of existing PTO. So if you had 20+0, now you'll get 20+5. 

Some companies will split the difference and do something like 18+5. If they changed 20+0 to 15+5, it would create lots of engagement and morale issues.

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I’ve seen where the combined pool incentivizes people to come in sick to save time for their vacation.  I don’t like the split pool either that doesn’t roll over, caps accrued time, and doesn’t pay for unused. That punishes people for being healthy, and then you end up with a bunch of 1 day call ins. 

*Edited to add hopefully we can all agree now that someone coming in to work with a 101 fever and snot dripping down their nose is a bad thing, covid or not

I think my preference would be split pool, sick rolls over every year, and it is paid out if there is separation from the company (and paid out yearly if there is a roll over cap). I haven’t actually worked in that system, so I’m not sure what drawbacks I’m not seeing are. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’ve seen where the combined pool incentivizes people to come in sick to save time for their vacation.  I don’t like the split pool either that doesn’t roll over, caps accrued time, and doesn’t pay for unused. That punishes people for being healthy, and then you end up with a bunch of 1 day call ins. 

I think my preference would be split pool, sick rolls over every year, and it is paid out if there is separation from the company (and paid out yearly if there is a roll over cap). I haven’t actually worked in that system, so I’m not sure what drawbacks I’m not seeing are. 

Have you seen any places where the sick leave rolls over? I have not, but granted I'm only familiar with a handful of companies with these plans. I've seen it reset at all of the places I've worked with or talked to about it.

Just now, BradInATX said:

Have you seen any places where the sick leave rolls over? I have not, but granted I'm only familiar with a handful of companies with these plans. I've seen it reset at all of the places I've worked with or talked to about it.

Yes, the company I currently work for allows 120 hours accrued, you get 40 every January 1. We have quite a few people (myself included until kids) that were “losing” sick time after 5 years. We all used to be young and healthy. 

2 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Yes, the company I currently work for allows 120 hours accrued, you get 40 every January 1. We have quite a few people (myself included until kids) that were “losing” sick time after 5 years. We all used to be young and healthy. 

What industry? That's generous. Assuming professional of some sort.

Edited by BradInATX

7 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

That seems reasonable to me. 

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

What industry? That's generous. Assuming professional of some sort.

Chemical manufacturing/processing is probably the closest description. 

And our benefits are pretty solid. We’re smaller (150ish US employees), owned by multiples larger companies (One European), and we’ve got a little of this from each. Our medical, sick, vacation, and paternity/maternity leave are pretty solid, I’d say well above average. Our pay is not (I don’t get to make the decisions, but I have seen where we target being around 40th percentile). 

Edited by UT_OB1

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

it rolls over with the state, as does vacation time.

there is no SL cap, but you don't get paid for a balance...well, not in cash. accrued SL counts towards service time at a rate of 160 hours=1 month credit. i was able to retire early bc i had almost 8 mos. of sick leave i never used (accrued over 30+ years 🙂)

vacation time also rolls over, and you do get paid the balance at separation...but it is capped annually. the cap increases as longevity increases. anything over the cap at end of FY converts to sick.

• Like 2

The point of combined pto/sick is to get employees to take less time off. Whether by not using their PTO with the the thought process you outline - and then they end up working sick anyway, or working more later and negating the time off, because that's just kind of a culture norm in American business - or the inverse, working sick to not burn PTO that may or may not all get used in the future.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dedicated sick days are stupid. Give everyone 15 or 20 PTO and let them use as they see fit. Office/salary positions obviously. 

In general (ie. pre-Covid), I would much rather someone take off on vacation than illness. When you have a small staff, it is easy to figure out what to do if someone is going to be out a week in September. It is much harder to figure out what to do if someone without notice is out random Fridays and Mondays throughout the year.

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

In Austin, National Instruments does it this way...there is an accrual limit, but it's a lot (several years worth).

Vacation used to roll over similarly with a generous cap, then a less generous one, and as of a couple years ago doesn't at all.

Edited by VolenteHawk

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

i know people who worked at health systems where this was the norm (clinical areas) - but they were out of state.

worked for them same as PTO basically. 1 sick bank, 1 PTO bank with caps and rollovers on both.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

My firm does this. 

You can accrue up to 120 hours of paid sick leave per year.  Unused, accrued PSL rolls over (no cap) - but it does not pay out

PTO also rolls over with no cap but is paid out. 

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

PTO talk not going away

Guaranteed sick leave should be federal policy.

Because in our profits over people society, Karen shows up sick with the flu and half the office is out for the next 2 weeks.  But now its COVID. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, justhookit said:

This is the Texas covid thread

Would be pretty cool if the Texas Supreme Court didn't block Austin and other Texas cities from implementing paid sick leave.  Then maybe people would have stayed home from work and Texas' numbers wouldn't be terrible. 

Edited by Js1

Friend works for a non-profit. Deals a lot with Volunteers and they have had quite a few close calls. Bosses who work in the back and are isolated have told them that they will have to use their PTO if they are exposed. One person has used theirs and was told to stay at home, no pay for 5 (yeah I know) days. They have people who refuse to wear masks coming and going, and when they asked for safeguards and protocols to be put in place were told to basically suck it up and get back to work and not even think about insurance.  

They work with a very vulnerable population and it is only a matter of time before one of them is positive. Sucks there is no recourse for them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Friend works for a non-profit. Deals a lot with Volunteers and they have had quite a few close calls. Bosses who work in the back and are isolated have told them that they will have to use their PTO if they are exposed. One person has used theirs and was told to stay at home, no pay for 5 (yeah I know) days. They have people who refuse to wear masks coming and going, and when they asked for safeguards and protocols to be put in place were told to basically suck it up and get back to work and not even think about insurance.  

They work with a very vulnerable population and it is only a matter of time before one of them is positive. Sucks there is no recourse for them. 

That's pretty fucking heartless. My company gave everyone a special PTO bank of additional 40 hours to deal with workplace transitions to WAH (childcare related issues and other transitioning issues). There is also a COVID quarantine PTO bank that has been set up for employees that test positive (up to two weeks of leave provided, with ability to extend after two weeks if justified).  

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That's pretty fucking heartless. My company gave everyone a special PTO bank of additional 40 hours to deal with workplace transitions to WAH (childcare related issues and other transitioning issues). There is also a COVID quarantine PTO bank that has been set up for employees that test positive (up to two weeks of leave provided, with ability to extend after two weeks if justified).  

For sure. And what is worse is the organization is sitting on a shit ton of cash. Enough for at least two years of operations. But they keep bringing in volunteers (community service people) and they are given a stipend for them. This is the main reason why it has not changed. 

There is talk that the south Texas regional council that oversees 44 hospitals/ER’s in Corpus and the RGV is going to ask Abbott to request the Mercy or Comfort hospital ship to be sent down here. If they need it hopefully they request Comfort, because Mercy is in the Pacific. With these idiots you never know.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/local/2020/07/09/covid-19-hospitalizations-expected-get-worse-nueces-county/5404379002/

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Names of these places need to start being publicized.  

• Like 1

Probably quicker to set up a temporary facility, but they do not generate the hype. DOD has field hospitals ready to go. FEMA maintains the same. Issue is going to be people. 

(Talking about the Mercy/Comfort from the previous post). 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, landman said:

Names of these places need to start being publicized.  

I would but I am on the BOD and do not want to jeopardize he staff at least having one person in their corner. On the last board meeting the Ops Director asked the board about pay for sick people. She was convinced we would all say nah. Every member but one said yep, pay them. That was never passed down to the staff. Such bullshit. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Our original owner had rollover, and after he passed away his heirs kept the rollover in place for sick days as well as vacation days. The new owners do not do that.  We get 4 weeks PTO period.

I can't even remember how many days I lost when the new owners took over but I know it was at least a few months of each.

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such