COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

It's odd that they maybe joining up with Round Rock and challenging Abbott on this, but honestly, this could be the way to go to avoid a shutdown - make a few examples out of the mouth-breathers to get the rest to take this seriously, so they don't have to stay home from their shitty jobs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

There is talk that the south Texas regional council that oversees 44 hospitals/ER’s in Corpus and the RGV is going to ask Abbott to request the Mercy or Comfort hospital ship to be sent down here. If they need it hopefully they request Comfort, because Mercy is in the Pacific. With these idiots you never know.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/local/2020/07/09/covid-19-hospitalizations-expected-get-worse-nueces-county/5404379002/

I thought they already had been in talks about this, or field hospitals?

The thing about the Comfort is, it's ready to go right now.  But could easily take 10-15 days to get here.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I gotta work for a decent company in my next career.  

for all of the negatives for big corporate; there are some decent trade-offs in these situations.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The thing about the Comfort is, it's ready to go right now.  But could easily take 10-15 days to get here.

Yes, and that is the issue. The USAF has ready go units across the US. Hell, pull them back from the WRM stock in Oman. It is just a C17 flight away and they go up real fast. 

A couple of good days in a row in Houston on case counts (204 and 412).  7-day average continues to inch back down...hopefully that trend continues.  That said, reporting inconsistencies are becoming apparent so it's hard to get too excited yet.

• Like 3

Probably quicker to set up a temporary facility, but they do not generate the hype. DOD has field hospitals ready to go. FEMA maintains the same. Issue is going to be people. 

(Talking about the Mercy/Comfort from the previous post). 

Sorry. Response was political and I removed it as I don't want to get banned.

Edited by Dnaguy

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Here I haven’t heard so much about field hospitals here, but last month they were talking of converting an old hospital building into a covid unit. Haven’t heard anything about that lately.

I would but I am on the BOD and do not want to jeopardize he staff at least having one person in their corner. On the last board meeting the Ops Director asked the board about pay for sick people. She was convinced we would all say nah. Every member but one said yep, pay them. That was never passed down to the staff. Such bullshit. 

sounds like its time for some changes...

there are going to be a lot of companies who are re-evaluating things, ESPECIALLY leadership (top and middle management) after this

1 minute ago, NoName said:

sounds like its time for some changes...

there are going to be a lot of companies who are re-evaluating things, ESPECIALLY leadership (top and middle management) after this

Being a small town NGO the lead is a assigned due to politics and friends, not effectiveness. But I agree. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

PTO talk not going away

No kidding, ditto with talk about people that work for shitty companies.

I have paid vacation time and Unlimited sick time.

If you get sick take care of yourself and don't come to work and get everyone else sick - granted everyone has been WFH since this all started, not like I can spread germs.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, don't we have two weeks anyway?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yup.   Tried "sick" days for many years.   

Give out PTO days, use em as you wish. 

I'm sort of in this camp.  With the original owner we had vacation days and sick days.  However, if you were sick and needed to use a sick day(s), you needed a doctor's note.  Everyone knows that not every illness calls for a doctor visit.  Now with that being said, there were several of us "old timers" that he didn't require a note from as we had been with him for many years. The younger guys, especially ones who had less than stellar reputations had to have a note.  So the PTO days are fine as long as it's the same number of days total as you would have had with the other system.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/innovation/07-09-20-kill-covid-19-university-of-houston-filter-texas-center-for-superconductivity/

“While the world rushes to find a COVID-19 vaccine, scientists from the University of Houston have found a way to trap and kill the virus — instantly.

The team has designed a “catch and kill” air filter that can nullify the virus responsible for COVID-19. Researchers reported that tests at the Galveston National Laboratory found 99.8 percent of the novel SARS-CoV-2 — which causes COVID-19 — was killed in a single pass through the filter.”

1 hour ago, htown85 said:

A couple of good days in a row in Houston on case counts (204 and 412).  7-day average continues to inch back down...hopefully that trend continues.  That said, reporting inconsistencies are becoming apparent so it's hard to get too excited yet.

It does feel like its just working it way though kinda like New York experienced. Only time will tell, but I don't feel like much is different from March vs now as far as what people are doing.

• Like 1

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/innovation/07-09-20-kill-covid-19-university-of-houston-filter-texas-center-for-superconductivity/

“While the world rushes to find a COVID-19 vaccine, scientists from the University of Houston have found a way to trap and kill the virus — instantly.

The team has designed a “catch and kill” air filter that can nullify the virus responsible for COVID-19. Researchers reported that tests at the Galveston National Laboratory found 99.8 percent of the novel SARS-CoV-2 — which causes COVID-19 — was killed in a single pass through the filter.”

Texas is gonna save us!

39 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

It's mesmerizing to watch in action.

spacer.png

• Like 4

https://www.kxan.com/news/violators-of-covid-19-rules-in-austin-could-soon-face-fines-of-up-to-2k-civil-suits/

This ordinance states that anyone who “knowingly violates a health authority rule” commits an offense and that each offense is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000. The ordinance expires on December 31, 2020. 

The ordinance states that each day a violation occurs is considered a separate offense.

Thursday, the council also voted unanimously to approve a second ordinance which declares properties that aren’t in compliance with state and local COVID-19 orders a “nuisance” which can be abated. 

This includes orders from Gov. Greg Abbott and the City of Austin’ mandates to wear masks.

Violations of this ordinance will be punished with a civil suit filed by the city for injunctive relief, which calls for a change in conduct. The city manager can designate city departments to help enforce this ordinance as well.

I'm cool with this if it means the poorly-run places (the worst of the offenders like the bars running wide-open) and the asshats who don't give a shit about whether they are spreading or not, are hit rather than the entire area shutting down.

We don't have to lower the percentage points too far to help flatten things out enough to keep things going.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Would be pretty cool if the Texas Supreme Court didn't block Austin and other Texas cities from implementing paid sick leave.  Then maybe people would have stayed home from work and Texas' numbers wouldn't be terrible. 

Didn't realize that City of Austin didn't provide City of Austin employees with paid sick leave.  That's shitty, but not sure it is really going to drive the COVID numbers.  

austin7-9.jpg

Star Trek Ok GIF

Looking better. I'm starting to think we're just going to ping pong up as we get lax and tired of being inside and down as the shit hits the fan every few months, until we get a vaccine.

So be it. As long as we have the societal will and the mechanisms in place to close the floodgates every so often as necessary, that's probably not a bad scenario.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, XYZ said:

How do they decide to hospitalize a covid patient versus send him/her home?

The boss says oxygenation, vital signs, blood gas results and stability. Whatever that means. And which comorbidities they have.

ETA also all the stuff Newdoc said I was totally going to say all of that too

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Insurance......

I keed, I keed.  Lots of variables including current state of illness, risks of immediate decompensation, other comorbid diagnoses, age, home support system and ability to monitor condition, etc.  Sometimes it boils down to can we treat them effectively without intensive intervention like IV fluids, IV antibiotics, oxygen, pressure support and/or if we send them home will they wind up back here on a vent or dead in the morning.

And now unfortunately, how much room is at the inn.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Well that and while I'm certainly not disputing it's increasing but how many are in the hospital solely for Covid19 and how many showed up for something else and then were tested and positive.  Is that 5% 15% 25%?  I would think that would be material but we never get to that data.

Take Tarrant County for instance.  On June 10th 68% of the 5,8979 total beds were occupied.  At that time 3% of those 5,879 beds were being used by Covid patients and 5% of the occupied beds were Covid.  Fast forward to today. 71% of the 5,879 beds are occupied (so up but not dramatically) while 10% of all beds are now occupied by Covid patients and 14% of occupied beds house Covid.  

So maybe folks are avoiding hospitals again, maybe less elective, maybe some folks there for other things also have Covid etc but at the moment while the Covid increase is concerning the overall system still looks like it has plenty of slack. 

Incidentally of the 580 Covid19 at the moment 140 are in ICU beds...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

austin7-9.jpg

Star Trek Ok GIF

Looking better. I'm starting to think we're just going to ping pong up as we get lax and tired of being inside and down as the shit hits the fan every few months, until we get a vaccine.

So be it. As long as we have the societal will and the mechanisms in place to close the floodgates every so often as necessary, that's probably not a bad scenario.

As one of my friends called it, we’re in for a year or so or Corona whack-a-mole in America.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Insurance......

I keed, I keed.  Lots of variables including current state of illness, risks of immediate decompensation, other comorbid diagnoses, age, home support system and ability to monitor condition, etc.  Sometimes it boils down to can we treat them effectively without intensive intervention like IV fluids, IV antibiotics, oxygen, pressure support and/or if we send them home will they wind up back here on a vent or dead in the morning.

That is my understanding. Criteria has changed as occupancy rates have gone up.  It makes sense then that we may see a plateau and slower decline in hospitalizations as we start to keep people that maybe at the peak we’d send home. I saw interview last night with the head of the big ER group here in SA. He said for each admit, they’re sending 5-6 patients home with positive diagnoses. Pretty incredible. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/nursing-home-investigations/texas-still-leads-us-in-number-of-nursing-homes-failing-to-report-covid-19-data-to-feds/

We're doing better this week!  Or worse?  Only 76 homes didn't provide it this week, compared to 97 last week.

Texas has retained its lead among all states for having the most nursing homes, 76 total, that have failed to submit COVID-19 data in the most recent reporting period to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, according to CMS records released Thursday.

That latest data shows 76 of Texas’ 1,218 nursing homes did not submit data, which is down from 97 the week prior. Nationally, the number of nursing homes that did not provide records dipped slightly to 818 from 826 the week before. The newest July 9 dataset reflects numbers submitted to CMS by June 28.

eZmEgAK.png

39 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That's what I think too. The biggest "up" will be in September after school starts. Then they'll shut school down again, and it will go down.

37 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Insurance......

Probably a dumb question, but what do antibiotics do for covid?

33 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Probably a dumb question, but what do antibiotics do for covid?

Nothing for Covid itself but we are getting a good rate of secondary bacterial pneumonia after Covid screws with the lungs.  Secondary pneumonia is what killed a lot of people in the 1918 flu pandemic.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Nothing for Covid itself but we are getting a good rate of secondary bacterial pneumonia after Covid screws with the lungs.  Secondary pneumonia is what killed a lot of people in the 1918 flu pandemic.

are the antibiotics working well against the secondary bacterial infections?

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Incidentally of the 580 Covid19 at the moment 140 are in ICU beds...

Anecdotally this is what we see in Cen Tex. There’s a dichotomy of ill and in the hospital for just a few days or sick, sick your ass is on a vent for a long time sick.

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such