COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Since the Covid delayed Tax Day to July 15th, we didn’t start up our Turbotax CD until this afternoon.

We have been using their CDs for years, but this is the first time we can’t get the gottdam thing to load. After trying for an hour we had to stop because I started getting physically ill, and my bp jumped 40 points... accompanied by nausea.

So in case I drop dead from another heart attack or a stroke, will they chalk my demise up to the Covid?

Since the Covid delayed Tax Day to July 15th, we didn’t start up our Turbotax CD until this afternoon.
We have been using their CDs for years, but this is the first time we can’t get the gottdam thing to load. After trying for an hour we had to stop because I started getting physically ill, and my bp jumped 40 points... accompanied by nausea.
So in case I drop dead from another heart attack or a stroke, will they chalk my demise up to the Covid?

Use the website like everybody else
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Fear of something and respect for it and what it can do often go hand in hand.  If you are hoping people give respect to something just because they should that's a noble dream but wish in one hand and shit in the other

The people who actually fear it are masking up, or trying to stay home as much as possible.

I wasn't referring to you, btw, I was talking about the asshats like that dipshit in Florida who lost his shit (and job, LOL) because he "felt threatened" that an elderly person at a Costco asked him to wear a mask.  If those fucking idiots would show some respect for their fellow Americans, mask up, wash their hands, and avoid other people when possible, we could get through this.

This is not difficult at all, but these dumbasses who don't give a fuck about their fellow human beings, or are too young and stupid too, are making it hard for the rest of us.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Enchubben said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/10/889848834/nations-pediatricians-walk-back-support-for-in-person-school?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogscoronavirusliveupdates

Nation's Pediatricians Walk Back Support For In-Person School

The American Academy of Pediatrics once again plunged into the growing debate over school reopening with a strong new statement Friday, making clear that while in-person school provides crucial benefits to children, "Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics." The statement also said that "science and community circumstances must guide decision-making."

The AAP is changing tone from the guidance it issued just over two weeks ago. Then, the organization made a national splash by recommending that education leaders and policymakers "should start with a goal of having students physically present in school."

The Trump administration this week repeatedly cited the AAP in pressuring school leaders to reopen. Dr. Sally Goza, the association's president, appeared at a White House roundtable with President Trump. She later told Morning Edition's David Greene that local coronavirus infection rates and hot spots have to be taken into consideration to safely reopen schools.

The previous guidance was criticized for saying little about the safety of educators and other school personnel. Friday's statement, cosigned by the two national teacher unions and AASA, the School Superintendents Association, calls for putting educators as well as other stakeholders at the center of decision-making. It emphasized that reopening safely will take more money: "We call on Congress and the administration to provide the federal resources needed to ensure that inadequate funding does not stand in the way of safely educating and caring for children in our schools."

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I have the floppy disk version lying around some here if you want it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Donald Trump is the Chip Kelly of of Coronavirus.  Whoops, CR'd it.  mea culpa

I see where you’re going with this.  I guess that makes Biden Coach Ed O.  I just feel sorry for their sign language entrepreneurs.  Talk about a tough job.  Since you brought it up.  

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Brat, if the Spanish flu didn't kill you in '18, Covid doesn't stand a chance against ya. 

Well fuck.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Texas reported 105 deaths on Thursday, also a 24-hour record for the state, and Gov. Greg Abbott does not anticipate next week will bring any relief.

"I think the numbers are going to look worse as we go into next week, and we need to make sure that there's going to be plenty of hospital beds available in the Houston area," Abbott said in an interview with KRIV-TV.

6 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What does cowardice or bravery have to do with where you choose to live?

IDK, but for living in Louisiana for a year, I sure felt like an idiot.

@BradInATX, I know that you track this particular chart closely.  I don't recall seeing the call out for an adjustment in the way that new admits are being determined in the chart.  Have you seen that before, and do you know what that refers to specifically?

new-admits.jpg

Edited by Anastasis

[mention=2008]BradInATX[/mention], I know that you track this particular chart closely.  I don't recall seeing the call out for an adjustment in the way that new admits are being determined in the chart.  Have you seen that before, and do you know what that refers to specifically?
new-admits.jpg

Yeah, we talked about it on another thread, not sure which, they all blend together.
Prior to the adjustment, they were not counting patients who came into hospitals without an existing positive Covid test, then popped for it upon admittance. Which is, in true COA fashion, hilariously absent minded.

20 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, we talked about it on another thread, not sure which, they all blend together.
Prior to the adjustment, they were not counting patients who came into hospitals without an existing positive Covid test, then popped for it upon admittance. Which is, in true COA fashion, hilariously absent minded.

Yeah, that was like this week though, not back in June. You're probably right, just never saw that on the chart before and it jumped out. 

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

That curve is looking good though.

It is definitely the first positive trend we've seen in many weeks.  It seems to line up pretty well to the "oh shit" moment the city had about two weeks ago when folks realized things were getting out of hand, and also maybe with the increased mask orders in Austin and surrounding cities, was that 2 weeks ago as well?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It is definitely the first positive trend we've seen in many weeks.  It seems to line up pretty well to the "oh shit" moment the city had about two weeks ago when folks realized things were getting out of hand, and also maybe with the increased mask orders in Austin and surrounding cities, was that 2 weeks ago as well?

Mask orders came a little later but bars were re shutdown on the 26th which was exactly 2 weeks from yesterday 

Edited by LebongJames
  • Like 1

Reopening continuing to go as expected. This was a typhoon Texas in Katy last night

https://v.redd.it/i7n5nd2rb5a51

Reopening to save the economy is totally going to work out great, guys! Our fellow citizens have thoroughly demonstrated their ability and willingness to follow the rules and guidelines to ensure there's not a second (or taller peak to this one) wave. Handshakes all around

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Reopening continuing to go as expected. This was a typhoon Texas in Katy last night

Reopening to save the economy is totally going to work out great, guys! Our fellow citizens have thoroughly demonstrated their ability and willingness to follow the rules and guidelines to ensure there's not a second (or taller peak to this one) wave. Handshakes all around

Holy

shit

not looking forward to the hospitals jam packed for the next 6-8 months because of dumb shit like this. It isnt like there is the largest geographically spread pandemic in human history going on right now or anything

22 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- it clearly wasn’t meant to be shave. And I had a post above with literally shut down written 8 times correctly. If reading through the thread that context should have been obvious as a typo, but good manners would have called for- hey did you mean to type shit down there or is that a typo?  
for future reference when you see me typing about something ducking sucking I mean fucking btw. 

Sorry if my post came across snarky. It wasn't meant that way. I was just trying to say that when I read it I initially thought it was intentional as well. It didn't fit you as a poster, but someone could have honestly thought it was intentional. 

57 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I don’t care COVID or not. That place looks depressing and about the last place on earth I would ever want to be.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Holy

shit

not looking forward to the hospitals jam packed for the next 6-8 months because of dumb shit like this. It isnt like there is the largest geographically spread pandemic in human history going on right now or anything

It’s barely even the largest geographically spread pandemic this century.   Jesus dude

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Typhoid Texas

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

That water park stuff pisses me off so bad. That’s ok, but I can’t go to Shorty’s or Gaff and sit at an outside table for a beer. We are so stupid.

Or sit at an outdoor table at a brewery on 20 acres where I'm 50 yards from the nearest person. 🤬

• Like 1

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/gov-abbott-lack-of-masks-spike-in-covid-19-could-lead-to-necessity-of-closing-texas-down/501-b62b3933-0f6c-494e-b4af-7ea8422effcf

In an interview with CBS19 on Friday, Governor Greg Abbott said a lack of masks and a spike in COVID-19 could, as a last resort, lead to "the necessity of closing Texas down."

He also said he's disappointed some local governments refuse to enforce his recently issued Executive Order.

He’s disappointed that some counties and towns are refusing his mask order, but he got pissed that Round Rock and Austin are threatening decent fines for those who refuse to wear masks.  

It's disappointing," Gov. Abbott said. "And again, I can understand the mindset being a kid who grew up in Longview myself, that this may not be the top priority. A murderer, or a rapist or a robber is far more serious to concentrate on. 

However, I know this also, and that is if we do not all join together and unite in this one cause for a short period of time, of adopting a mask, what it will lead to is the necessity of having to close Texas back down. That should be the last thing that any government wants ⁠— the last thing that any business owner wants. 

Your business owners in Tyler ⁠— in Longview, they should be demanding that their government officials enforce this face mask order now to make sure they will be able to stay open. And the only way those businesses are going to stay open is to make sure people wear masks to slow the spread of the coronavirus."

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such