COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/gov-abbott-lack-of-masks-spike-in-covid-19-could-lead-to-necessity-of-closing-texas-down/501-b62b3933-0f6c-494e-b4af-7ea8422effcf

He’s disappointed that some counties and towns are refusing his mask order, but he got pissed that Round Rock and Austin are threatening decent fines for those who refuse to wear masks.  

Fuck Greg Abbott and his whining about local governments not enforcing his order. Hell, it was only 2 weeks ago that he discovered that local governments could force businesses to require masks. Maybe if he had not “superceded” in his very pointed words the local governments of the biggest cities in the state in early May we wouldn’t be in this position now. People are dead as a result of his actions. I’d like to see “no politics” from him for a change.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 5

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/i-thought-this-was-a-hoax-patient-in-their-30s-dies-after-attending-covid-party

A patient in their 30s died from the coronavirus after attending what's being called a "COVID party," according to a San Antonio health official.

Chief Medical Officer of Methodist Healthcare Dr. Jane Appleby said the idea of these parties is to see if the virus is real.

"This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected," Dr. Appleby said.

According to Appleby, the patient became critically ill and had a heartbreaking statement moments before death.

"Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said 'I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it's not,'" Appleby said.

Appleby made this case public as the spike in cases for Bexar County continues. She wants everyone, especially those in the younger demographic, to realize they are not invincible.

Is this bad? This seems bad.

HOUSTON — Houston hospitals have been forced to treat hundreds of COVID-19 patients in their emergency rooms — sometimes for several hours or multiple days — as they scramble to open additional intensive care beds for the wave of seriously ill people streaming through their doors, according to internal numbers shared with NBC News and ProPublica.

At the same time, the region’s 12 busiest hospitals are increasingly telling emergency responders that they cannot safely accept new patients, at a rate nearly three times that of a year ago, according to data reviewed by reporters.

The increase in ambulance diversions, coupled with the spike in patients being held indefinitely in emergency rooms, are the latest indicators that Houston hospitals are straining to keep up with a surge of new coronavirus patients. ProPublica and NBC News have previously reported that a public hospital in Houston ran out of a medication to treat COVID-19 patients and that a spike in at-home deaths from cardiac arrest suggests that the death toll from the coronavirus may be higher than official statistics show.

On Thursday, 3,812 people were hospitalized with COVID-19 in the region, including more than 1,000 in intensive care units, a record since the pandemic began. At the same time, since Texas officials have not issued another stay-at-home order to slow the virus’s spread, hospitals are also still seeing a steady flow of patients in need of care as a result of car accidents, violent crime and heat-related medical emergencies.

48 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Dallas Co two straight days with modest drops in cases (1201 - 1164 - 1101). Grasping for anything here

I never trust weekend numbers. Lot of state and local health department employees taking the days off so stuff gets pushed into Monday and Tuesday. Apparently no one told Covid it only had to work five days a week.

God forbid they stagger their work days during a pandemic.

Edited by Newdoc
  • Like 6

Good grief. Nueces task force released a report estimating that 8% of the county population has an active covid infection. Positive test results are up to 48%.

New case numbers were down today, hospitalizations climbing but slower, same with ICU.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I damn near had another heart attack while doing my taxes this afternoon. Mark me down as a Covid victim.

I shared your comment with the wife and we both laughed.

The little ray of sunshine chimes in with, "Tell him he gets to do it again in 9 months..."

That's why they live longer than we do...

Edited by slorch

Good grief. Nueces task force released a report estimating that 8% of the county population has an active covid infection. Positive test results are up to 48%.
New case numbers were down today, hospitalizations climbing but slower, same with ICU.
Holy shit, that is bad.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I damn near had another heart attack while doing my taxes this afternoon. Mark me down as a Covid victim.

Used a portion of the stimulus money the government sent to pay for what we "owed" in taxes

tenor.gif?itemid=7715402

Though I'm sure this just means we'll "owe" more next year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bartles said:

But isn't the county over its listed population this time of year? Again, just grasping for anything

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but those numbers are for residents of the county. They aren’t counting 2nd home owners or tourists.

@HenryJames posted this from The NY Times  in the CR Texas thread. Good read on some of the issues Corpus is dealing with right now. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/11/us/coronavirus-texas-corpus-christi.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytnational&login=smartlock&auth=login-smartlock

Edited by justhookit

For the first time in Travis County since Covid data started in March, there were three deaths of people from 20-29. Until now the youngest were in the 30-39 bracket (2).

As of today there are 3 from 20-29 and now 4 for 30-39. TCAD is weird in that they report cases and deaths daily but hospitalizations are a week in arrears. So while cases and deaths are through yesterday, the hospitalizations are through July 5th. Stay safe friends. Wear your masks.

image.png.f62e481efa67a4762eaf0f645b1c2544.png

• Like 2

Just now, BradInATX said:

Using a line graph over a dimension like that instead of over a time series makes me ragey. I hate that chart.

I can adjust it. I am just showing the cum of cases, deaths etc as that is how TCAD reports it. I have not been tracking it as a time series, but am happy to start.

It is funny how TCAD reports somethings via time but not others.

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

I can adjust it. I am just showing the cum of cases, deaths etc as that is how TCAD reports it. I have not been tracking it as a time series, but am happy to start.

It is funny how TCAD reports somethings via time but not others.

LOL my bad man, I didn't realize it was your chart. Not trying to be a dick, the chart gets the point across. I just immediately gravitate towards reading it as a time series left to right and it takes me a second to re-calibrate myself for it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

LOL my bad man, I didn't realize it was your chart. Not trying to be a dick, the chart gets the point across. I just immediately gravitate towards reading it as a time series left to right and it takes me a second to re-calibrate myself for it. 

No worries, I get it. Not my favorite visualization either, I just frankly have been a little lazy on this one and not been tracking the info daily. I will as frankly that has been my plan, to some degree you just get numb to it as the numbers have ballooned so much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Agree. But overlapping the distributions could obscure some of the data.  The lines work, but I agree it took me a bit to orient to the information. 

I'd probably try it with three stacked bar charts like so

shitty-bar-chart.jpg

crappy 120 second Excel example because I'm about to go get in the pool and I don't have Tableau on the laptop downstairs. Colors are your age cohorts, three bars are the three metrics.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am just showing the cum of case's,

Didn't realize Jordan Hicks posted on this board. 

Grab your video camera, we got work to do...

Edited by Lobo

No worries, I get it. Not my favorite visualization either, I just frankly have been a little lazy on this one and not been tracking the info daily. I will as frankly that has been my plan, to some degree you just get numb to it as the numbers have ballooned so much.

Where are you sourcing your data from? Is it a system that could be scraped and put into a DB? It's pretty easy to collect some data and connect it to a grafana dashboard for real-time and easy visualization

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

I'd probably try it with three stacked bar charts like so

shitty-bar-chart.jpg

crappy 120 second Excel example because I'm about to go get in the pool and I don't have Tableau on the laptop downstairs. Colors are your age cohorts, three bars are the three metrics.

first world covid problems man.  heard pool and water feature building was going crazy now.  beer, bbq, and pool.  Ridin the Covid Storm Out

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

@HenryJames posted this from The NY Times  in the CR Texas thread. Good read on some of the issues Corpus is dealing with right now. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/11/us/coronavirus-texas-corpus-christi.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytnational&login=smartlock&auth=login-smartlock

This is why I hope tourists stay the fuck out of NYC.

• Like 3

Clearly should have put a period after cum. 
as in shortening the word cumulative. 
But i guess i can video Hicks and South Austin’s mom if that’ll boost Surly morale. 

Why don't we just go to the library.

NSFW  https://www.60plusmilfs.com/xxx-granny-videos/South-Austins-Mom/UT-Football-Team-at-same-time/

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is why I hope tourists stay the fuck out of NYC.

I mean it’s a part of the problem for sure, but the article ignores that those same tourists were here in huge numbers the last part of April and all of May. The problem didn’t start until we pretty much returned to normal with zero social distancing, no masks, packed bars and restaurants, etc. NYC and the rest of the country can’t allow that to happen.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

first world covid problems man.  heard pool and water feature building was going crazy now.  beer, bbq, and pool.  Ridin the Covid Storm Out

We're actually moving in the next month, and were told that there's such a backlog for pools that builders won't even get out until October/November, so I'm SOL for the rest of the summer.

Definite first world problems. 

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Where are you sourcing your data from? Is it a system that could be scraped and put into a DB? It's pretty easy to collect some data and connect it to a grafana dashboard for real-time and easy visualization

Pulling it from TCAD site.

They have a dashboard with some stuff they update daily and other info that is updated in weekly batches.

I mean it’s a part of the problem for sure, but the article ignores that those same tourists were here in huge numbers the last part of April and all of May. The problem didn’t start until we pretty much returned to normal with zero social distancing, no masks, packed bars and restaurants, etc. NYC and the rest of the country can’t allow that to happen.

NYC has already put a pause indefinitely on indoor dining and bars. Will remain outdoor only. Further, our mask mandate is still going strong. Not sure how States agreed to open shit back up without a mask mandate.
  • Like 4

On 7/10/2020 at 4:51 PM, justhookit said:

Welp, Corpus/Nueces closes out the week with 412 new cases. Averaged just under 400 on the week. Hospitalizations climbing slowly, ICU pretty steady, 5 new deaths. Next week may get interesting in the hospitals.

Why do I keep getting sent to the hot spots for work?

Are they trying to kill me?

Oh yeah, I forgot, nearly everywhere is a hot spot...nmd

On 7/11/2020 at 4:58 PM, Armybrat said:

Dammit brat, stop it with that kind of talk.  You're freaking me out.  Besides if anything happened to you this whole site would shut down.

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

yeah...we were there mid-May for a while...very limited contact in stores (ice, firewood, etc)\, cooked everything, social distanced like mofos on the beach. the pool was even closed where we were staying. we felt very safe and were never crowded, even on the busiest beach day - closest anybody got was maybe 25 feet, mile marker 20-24 every day. 

i think when it was flooded by people who thought 'woohoo, it's over!!' and behaved accordingly...that's where shit went way south. because people are dumb. 😒  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Dammit brat, stop it with that kind of talk.  You're freaking me out.  Besides if anything happened to you this whole site would shut down.

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts....

Damn Turbotax with their confusing updates were a waste of $$.

I printed the paper forms off the IRS site and just did them the old fashioned way. No problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One bit of good news, (don't we all need any we can get?)

At Walmart Neighborhood Market yesterday I'm happy to report 100% masking.  Didn't have the energy or pain tolerance to go to the big Walmart, but I assume it was probably the same shit show its been for weeks.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such