COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

My wife’s aunt was exposed at work by some genius who went to the border for teeth whitening and then assumed her illness was “the water.”

Anyway her whole office and family members got tested last Saturday. Nasal swabs. 

Her husband’s test came back negative on Wednesday.  Hers just came back positive today. Same with another co-worker. 

Does it make sense the positives would take longer than negatives?

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

We donated blood on Thursday. Got antibody tests back today. Negative.

Wait, there's a blood donation center/whatever like a half-mile down the road from me here in Austin.  If I mosey on over there and ask to give blood, will they test me for free?  Because I will gladly give blood for that (I've been slacking the past few years anyways and only giving once every year or two).

7 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My wife’s aunt was exposed at work by some genius who went to the border for teeth whitening and then assumed her illness was “the water.”

Why in the actual fuck would anyone ever need to.go to the border for teeth whitening?  

11 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Does it make sense the positives would take longer than negatives?

Sometimes negative results are automatically forwarded out. Positive will usually need to be confirmed by an actual person and likely called directly to the patient.

• Like 1

The big picture: Porsa said the region is seeing numbers related to the spread of the virus that are "disproportionately higher than anything we have experienced in the past." He noted that Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital's ICU is at 113% capacity, and 75% of its beds are coronavirus patients.

Why it matters: New York hospitals never became so overwhelmed that patients were abandoned in hallways, but the situation became dire after lockdowns were in place, and became a matter of riding out the storm, writes Axios' Caitlin Owens.

5 hours ago, B00M said:

Why in the actual fuck would anyone ever need to.go to the border for teeth whitening?  

I know personally two couples (Californians) who go across the border for all their dental work..... because 1/3  - 1/2 cost. Don’t think they have done it this year though.

Edited by Armybrat

25 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I know personally two couples (Californians) who go across the border for all their dental work..... because 1/3  - 1/2 cost. Don’t think they have done it this year though.

My dad got his 8 crowns (football and drunken brawling) replaced in Costa Rica for 1/4 cost.  I get that. 

This is whitening.  They sell strips at Walgreens. 

• Like 2

Purely anecdotal and heavy on confirmation bias, but I'm seeing friends and especially facebook friends taking summer vacations. And I get it. Your kids are growing up fast and you want family memories. Some have zero grandparents alive so the issue of passing the virus to them is nil. In some cases, they pre-paid for trips and don't think of it as a sunk cost but rather wasting money to cancel plans.

But the above are all excuses on why you think you you're immune to covid-19.  The above is also reasons why we won't have college football. Sure the family taking a long weekend to see the cousins may ultimately involve no one getting sick. However it can all add up. 

And the very least, stop posting your f-ing vacation photos on facebook/instagram/whatever. All you're doing is encouraging others to follow your bad example. Someone is sitting at home seeing your photos and that convinces them to stop staying at home.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Purely anecdotal and heavy on confirmation bias, but I'm seeing friends and especially facebook friends taking summer vacations. And I get it. Your kids are growing up fast and you want family memories. Some have zero grandparents alive so the issue of passing the virus to them is nil. In some cases, they pre-paid for trips and don't think of it as a sunk cost but rather wasting money to cancel plans.

But the above are all excuses on why you think you you're immune to covid-19.  The above is also reasons why we won't have college football. Sure the family taking a long weekend to see the cousins may ultimately involve no one getting sick. However it can all add up. 

And the very least, stop posting your f-ing vacation photos on facebook/instagram/whatever. All you're doing is encouraging others to follow your bad example. Someone is sitting at home seeing your photos and that convinces them to stop staying at home.

The worst are the shrill Karens on social media preaching about staying at home with their Zoom happy hours and then post pictures of their families at the beach in Galveston or Port A.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The worst are the shrill Karens on social media preaching about staying at home with their Zoom happy hours and then post pictures of their families at the beach in Galveston or Port A.

Guarantee we have several Brads and Karens on this very website doing the exact same thing. Rules don't apply to them, but virtue signaling is their specialty.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

7 minutes ago, stone oak said:

Guarantee we have several Brads and Karens on this very website doing the exact same thing. Rules don't apply to them, but virtue signaling is their specialty.

Posrep to both of these. Some of the most vocal of my friends on social media about staying at home have been out and about a LOT more than others.

Speak with your actions - not your words!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Posrep to both of these. Some of the most vocal of my friends on social media about staying at home have been out and about a LOT more than others.

Speak with your actions - not your words!

My neighbors down the street in their mid 50s were actually posting to Facebook a few weeks back that they were "social distancing with friends" at a restaurant in Austin, the pics of them arm in arm with their friends, no masks on (they were at their dining table, indoors).  A week or so later they told me by text that they had caught the coronas and that although the wife was doing okay, the husband was in really bad shape and contemplating going to the hospital.  They didn't end up doing that, they rode it out at home and are doing much better now, but man... that they got it, was not at all surprising.  They're really nice, but very social and just the type that would think "social distancing with friends" is an actual thing.

I've been to restaurants but only outdoor seating, and only with my immediate family that all live together.  Certainly not hugging it up with folks who I have no idea where they've been or who else they've been far too close to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Someone is sitting at home seeing your photos and that convinces them to stop staying at home.

So going to bfe Colorado is higher risk than the river or the water park or the gym?

This whole vacation is bad because it’s “vacation” is ignorant. If anything, and if healthy, I would want out of any Texas city greater than 200k. A cabin in the middle of the Gunnison area is likely much lower risk than Houston proper. If you aren’t at immediate exposure risk or sick and as long as you don’t exposure yourself and/or a bunch of others on your way I say go for it.

I’ve seen hundreds of Covid patients at this point and almost all of them in last 6 weeks have contracted the virus locally. 

• Like 6

Here is case view day over day (7/12 vs 7/11) for Travis County. Deaths are lagging a day so once it updates I will add deaths. These are by age bucket.

I am showing three rows:

Cases 7/12 vs 7/11 (just the whole number change day over day)

% of daily change (of the total number of new cases what % did the number of new cases within a certain age bracket comprise)

% of total cases (of the roughly 14.5k total cases, what % does the age bucket comprise)

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/12 vs 7/11 4 13 51 35 23 22 7 6 5 166
% of Daily Change 2.41% 7.83% 30.72% 21.08% 13.86% 13.25% 4.22% 3.61% 3.01%  
% of Total Cases 2.54% 7.18% 28.25% 21.84% 16.44% 11.63% 6.20% 3.38% 2.55% 14,722
  • Like 1

So going to bfe Colorado is higher risk than the river or the water park or the gym?
This whole vacation is bad because it’s “vacation” is ignorant. If anything, and if healthy, I would want out of any Texas city greater than 200k. A cabin in the middle of the Gunnison area is likely much lower risk than Houston proper. If you aren’t at immediate exposure risk or sick and as long as you don’t exposure yourself and/or a bunch of others on your way I say go for it.
I’ve seen hundreds of Covid patients at this point and almost all of them in last 6 weeks have contracted the virus locally. 
Do they know where they contracted it?

Seems like most people unfortunately put their guard down around friends and family...

But that's just my theory without any real data behind it.

1 hour ago, smoky said:

Do they know where they contracted it?

Seems like most people unfortunately put their guard down around friends and family...

But that's just my theory without any real data behind it.

That's what I've been wondering/seeing.

It's almost as if they think"oh they're our friends/family, they wouldn't infect us". People think they're safe around close friends and family not realizing that Covid19 doesn't play favorites.

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Most people that go on vacation, do not sit in their vacation home and do nothing. But regardless my point was to stop posting photos of your vacation, it only encourages others to go. If Jim and Sally think it's safe, maybe we should go as well. Sorry if that upsets you.

Since most people at any time are not traveling out of town, logic is that people will contract the virus locally. Just like the average car accident is within 5 miles of the driver's home since that is the area in which they drive the most. It's a self-fulfilling point.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

it only encourages others to go.

If they can go responsibly then why not? If they’re going to be asshats about Covid on vacation then they are probably being asshats in their home community.

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Since most people at any time are not traveling out of town, logic is that people will contract the virus locally.

Shouldn’t your consternation be about local spread rather than vacations?

44 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sorry if that upsets you.

Not really. There are certainly many vacation activities that should be avoided....Disney, cruise ships, etc. but lumping vacations into one large high risk activity is lazy criticism.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Not when you live in the vacation destinations, no.  

If you can come visit and just hang at your rental, go hiking and biking, etc, that's all cool.  But a lot of your fellow Texans are not doing that.  They're coming to CO and wanting it to be like all of their other CO trips.  And mask use is spotty at best.

• Like 4

Good news, healthweather.us (data from Kinsa wifi thermometers) is defiantly showing a cooling COVID trend throughout Texas.
They project a real-time R value based on who knows what, but yesterday it dropped at or below 1.00 for many Texas counties after rising as high as 1.14 in June.
Thermometer data is a leading indicator.  Hopefully case counts will follow.

C'mon Texas you can do it ... keep masking up and spreading out ... our efforts are having an effect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

If they can go responsibly then why not?

Probably because one person's version of "responsibly" varies from another.  That said, my little family of four went to Galveston last week.  We rented a house, which I sprayed down before we entered.  We went to the beach, had a spot every day at least 20 yards away from anyone.  We packed in all of our food.  No bars, restaurants, or anything else.  Just in a house by ourselves or on a beach away from everyone. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Good news, healthweather.us (data from Kinsa wifi thermometers) is defiantly showing a cooling COVID trend throughout Texas.
They project a real-time R value based on who knows what, but yesterday it dropped at or below 1.00 for many Texas counties after rising as high as 1.14 in June.
Thermometer data is a leading indicator.  Hopefully case counts will follow.

C'mon Texas you can do it ... keep masking up and spreading out ... our efforts are having an effect.

More people are wearing masks and the bars have been shut down for a couple of weeks.

So then it'll reach a certain point where the Governor will reopen the bars and tell cities they have to relax the mask requirements.

And then:

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Looks like Harris county covid hospitalizations (general beds and ICU) are starting to flatten a bit. Some combination of masks, no bars, and behavior modification (fewer keggers at Brad's [or Juan's] house) may be helping.

Untitled6

48% ICU beds in Med Center are COVID patients. It’s going to get worse.

7 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

48% ICU beds in Med Center are COVID patients. It’s going to get worse.

That's about what it's been for Harris County as a whole per SETRAC for about a week or so.  But the growth in that number has been slowing tremendously and has been stable for about 5 days.  Hopefully it stays that way.

I hope that trend continues for y'all in Houston.  We're still in the shit in Travis County.  What an absolute fucking disgrace to our State, the way so many people behaved and treated this pandemic as an inconvenience.  You can bullshit your way through the numbers all you want, but there are a fixed number of hospital beds in our cities and State and there is no spinning your way out of that fact.  What a fucking unnecessary tragedy that families will be paying for in decades, not days.  

The surge does seem to be flattening a little bit, thank the Lord.  Let's not drop out guard because five weeks from tomorrow is the start of most public school districts.  And the shitshow will ride again.  We'll have another cool-down in October, and then Cold & Flu Season...even in Texas.  

3 hours ago, Newdoc said:

If they can go responsibly then why not? If they’re going to be asshats about Covid on vacation then they are probably being asshats in their home community.

Not really. There are certainly many vacation activities that should be avoided....Disney, cruise ships, etc. but lumping vacations into one large high risk activity is lazy criticism.

Yeah, I'd have to agree.  The shaming of people tends to go overboard.  Yeah, if some asshole refuses to put on a mask at all, no matter where they are, that person deserves catching all the shit they're getting flung their way.  But just saying vacationing in general is some horrible idea?  There's all kinds of safe road trips etc.  

• Like 4

Yeah, I'd have to agree.  The shaming of people tends to go overboard.  Yeah, if some asshole refuses to put on a mask at all, no matter where they are, that person deserves catching all the shit they're getting flung their way.  But just saying vacationing in general is some horrible idea?  There's all kinds of safe road trips etc.  

I think if they say they are protesting being at home then they won’t spread the Coronas.
  • Like 2

That's not what he said. He said don't flaunt your shit on social media.

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

That's not what he said. He said don't flaunt your shit on social media.

That’s good advice for anytime. Pre, post, and during a pandemic. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

That's what I've been wondering/seeing.

It's almost as if they think"oh they're our friends/family, they wouldn't infect us". People think they're safe around close friends and family not realizing that Covid19 doesn't play favorites.

It's the same thing as thinking that cute little Chi Omega Mary Jane Rottencrotch can't give you the clap.

She can

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such