COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Speaking of social media posts, you know what really grinds my gears? When people post pictures of themselves out with friends or at their kids sports or wherever and they post the token 1 picture of them with their mask on and 9 without. Fuck you, you know you need to wear one, but also you’re gonna take it off for pictures or worse only put it on for the token picture? 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Covri said:

Speaking of social media posts, you know what really grinds my gears?

What I hate is when people use the phrase "grinds my gears". I guess it is forgivable if the person is old or has some sort of disability. Otherwise, I hope they are subjected to a continuously streamed satyanash recruiting update.

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree.  The shaming of people tends to go overboard.  Yeah, if some asshole refuses to put on a mask at all, no matter where they are, that person deserves catching all the shit they're getting flung their way.  But just saying vacationing in general is some horrible idea?  There's all kinds of safe road trips etc.  

Yeah, we just aren’t around anybody, hardly, while we are out and about. If you can’t social distance in the great outdoors, at a lake, at the beach or the like you are an idiot. 
This shit isn’t hard. We have had so little interaction with anyone as we are coming up on finishing our 5th week on the road. 

• Like 2

Yeah, we just aren’t around anybody, hardly, while we are out and about. If you can’t social distance in the great outdoors, at a lake, at the beach or the like you are an idiot. 
This shit isn’t hard. We have had so little interaction with anyone as we are coming up on finishing our 5th week on the road. 
If you do it right, it is very easy to social distance. But many don't do it right. Sounds like Grand Lake was a shitshow this weekend.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you do it right, it is very easy to social distance. But many don't do it right. Sounds like Grand Lake was a shitshow this weekend.

I assume, at all times, that people are stupid. I’m not too terribly often disappointed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

What I hate is when people use the phrase "grinds my gears". I guess it is forgivable if the person is old or has some sort of disability. Otherwise, I hope they are subjected to a continuously streamed satyanash recruiting update.

spacer.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:
7 hours ago, Newdoc said:
Not really. There are certainly many vacation activities that should be avoided....Disney, cruise ships, etc. but lumping vacations into one large high risk activity is lazy criticism.

He said don't flaunt your shit on social media.

Guess he’s not a fan of shaggy, huh?

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Going to Telluride for three weeks.  We’ve been staying home and masking up.  I got tested before the 4th because I was sick.  Negative on two tests.  

The shit I do in Colorado isn’t risky to anyone. Restaurants are patio/street dining only.  

This shit comes to Texas you know who I am blaming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great, another chance for people to fuck this up.  How many protestors show up at the Capitol the day he makes the announcement?  100?  500? 

48 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Rumor mill is that next lockdown is coming from Abbott this week.

There was one? We're partially in this mess because the first one existed in name only. I want to see Wuhan style - dudes boarding up your door as you try to escape. It's the only way to be sure.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Great, another chance for people to fuck this up.  How many protestors show up at the Capitol the day he makes the announcement?  100?  500? 

At this point, let em fucking protest the closure. They'll figure it out once enough get sick. Personal responsibility and all that. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Captainant said:

At this point, let em fucking protest the closure. They'll figure it out once enough get sick. Personal responsibility and all that. 

They ain’t figured that out yet 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

I thought protests don’t spread the virus.

Well my sweet slow compatriot, the state of COVID in the US and specifically Texas is significantly more severe than it was in May and June. If you didn't notice, hospitals and morgues are filling up fast than they ever have due to COVID, and it still is trending in the wrong direction. 

But sure, go hit up those anti-facemask protests and please report back if you do.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

The virus doesn't like protests about the virus. Or maybe it does like protests because it helps spread the virus. But protests don't spread the virus. And the virus isn't living so it cannot like anything. This virus is difficult to understand. 

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

You wear masks and are outside I like your odds a lot better than indoors with no mask.  That was one key difference.  I can still see the Michigan bozos yelling inside the state capital. Anyways, zero flare here in Chicago after some massive protests.  Just one data point...

Nobody was talking about how protests transfer or don't transfer the virus.  My point was how/when the gatherings ocurred.

the "lockdown" had been lifted for weeks in Texas before those BLM protests took place all around the state.  Once it was lifted in early May, have at it...go protest police brutality, lack of haircut options, or just anger with government and science.  BUT!!

If we go into an official lockdown again...we need to take it much more seriously this time around.  I don't want anybody gathering to protest jackshit at the Capitol.  Go to work if you have to, buy groceries and booze, but otherwise stay the fuck home or there won't be a school year.   

I don't give a fuck about the tenacity of the virus at masked protests, should we enter an official lockdown again, nobody should be getting together for stupid, frivolous shit like Freedom Protests at the Capitol.  It's a few miles from my home and I don't need a thousand dipshits from all over the state descending on my town during a quarantine.  But I know it's going to happen.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Nobody was talking about how protests transfer or don't transfer the virus.  My point was how/when the gatherings ocurred.

the "lockdown" had been lifted for weeks in Texas before those BLM protests took place all around the state.  Once it was lifted in early May, have at it...go protest police brutality, lack of haircut options, or just anger with government and science.  BUT!!

If we go into an official lockdown again...we need to take it much more seriously this time around.  I don't want anybody gathering to protest jackshit at the Capitol.  Go to work if you have to, buy groceries and booze, but otherwise stay the fuck home or there won't be a school year.   

jack off please GIF

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Abbott said no lockdown yesterday so what are folks hearing that changed...saw some numbers pissed his pant and now he is sitting in it.

Abbott is torn between two competing forces:

1) He’s going to be censured by over a dozen county GOP organizations for allowing mask mandates by business. The base thinks he’s weak on support for Trump and that he’s virtue signaling for the media and the libs.

2) He’s seeing his approval on his handling of the crisis rapidly slip among normies because he forcibly lifted the lockdowns in big cities too soon over the objections of local leaders. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2

I don't see why everybody keeps treating things as a monolith defined by arbitrary lines as big as states and nations.  I get that at some point you have to use a line somewhere but most countries and states are just too big.  

Could the state have basically set up a system of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green and then dictated that it would be applied at a county level.  So for example your county is red, full stop lockdown like it was back in April.  Oh you all are yellow, well you can't do these few things and you gotta wear a mask blah blah.  Etc.

Actually devise a system that lays out a common set of rules and gives folks local accountability for where they live.

Get your shit together Harris County or hey good job Harris County etc.  

Otherwise it's sort of like making the whole team run gassers or eat runny eggs and burnt toast when one dude jumps offsides...it works really well to a point and then the seniors who are just sick of that shit start to act out and revolt

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

I don't see why everybody keeps treating things as a monolith defined by arbitrary lines as big as states and nations.  I get that at some point you have to use a line somewhere but most countries and states are just too big.  

Could the state have basically set up a system of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green and then dictated that it would be applied at a county level.  So for example your county is red, full stop lockdown like it was back in April.  Oh you all are yellow, well you can't do these few things and you gotta wear a mask blah blah.  Etc.

Actually devise a system that lays out a common set of rules and gives folks local accountability for where they live.

Get your shit together Harris County or hey good job Harris County etc.  

Otherwise it's sort of like making the whole team run gassers or eat runny eggs and burnt toast when one dude jumps offsides...it works really well to a point and then the seniors who are just sick of that shit start to act out and revolt

This seems to be the logical way to do it but I think political interests will get in the way.  Shocker.

Well my sweet slow compatriot, the state of COVID in the US and specifically Texas is significantly more severe than it was in May and June. If you didn't notice, hospitals and morgues are filling up fast than they ever have due to COVID, and it still is trending in the wrong direction. 
But sure, go hit up those anti-facemask protests and please report back if you do.

Yeah, I won’t be going to any protests of any kind. I also work from home. I don’t go to restaurants (dine in) or bars anymore. I completely support the reason for the protests in May and June, but your criticism reeks of do as I say not as I do. Or maybe you wouldn’t have criticized people protesting any potential closures if they had protested in late May early June.

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Rumor mill is that next lockdown is coming from Abbott this week.

For sure, because he realizes that Austinites are as dumb as the goobers from Poth.

Too bad, as Mrs. Brat is scheduled for foot surgery Monday, and will also have to put off scheduling her cataract procedures. At least I have one good eye to drive us around with in the meantime.

After calling in advance, our 27 year old grandson (have not seen him since March) came by yesterday to drop off some shirts that needed to be mended. The kid walked in the front hall with his mask on and proceeded to take it off. I had to tell him to put it back on and to stay in the front hall. 😣 Mrs. Brat & I were masked up.

• Like 1

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

I just enjoy the idea that our basic technique for dealing with a mass viral outbreak in 2020 is exactly the same as it was for the Black Death.  

I’m waiting for government-sponsored blood-letting and leeches. 

Well, tomorrow is Tax Day.

• Like 1

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

I just enjoy the idea that our basic technique for dealing with a mass viral outbreak in 2020 is exactly the same as it was for the Black Death.  

I’m waiting for government-sponsored blood-letting and leeches. 

Shhhhhh.... Just go pray and hide in the Church. 

Here is the case by age bucket day over day. 7/13 vs 7/12.

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/13 vs 7/12 36 87 159 138 125 56 35 7 5 648
% of Daily Change 5.56% 13.43% 24.54% 21.30% 19.29% 8.64% 5.40% 1.08% 0.77%  
% of Total Cases 2.67% 7.44% 28.09% 21.82% 16.56% 11.50% 6.17% 3.28% 2.47% 15,730

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I won’t be going to any protests of any kind. I also work from home. I don’t go to restaurants (dine in) or bars anymore. I completely support the reason for the protests in May and June, but your criticism reeks of do as I say not as I do. Or maybe you wouldn’t have criticized people protesting any potential closures if they had protested in late May early June.

No, I generally think marching in protest against measures to protect public health are regarded. Pandemic or not.

I didn't attend any of the Floyd protests because I have trying to socially distance as much as possible, but protesting against the wanton murder and brutalization of peaceful protesters and black people is at least a more reasonable thing to put your health at risk for. And again, the threat level of COVID was less in May/June than it is now - Abbott even used that fact to justify his early opening. Which if you hadn't been paying attention isn't going all that great. I hear some goobers are marching in protest against taking COVID seriously.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Here is the case by age bucket day over day. 7/13 vs 7/12.

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/13 vs 7/12 36 87 159 138 125 56 35 7 5 648
% of Daily Change 5.56% 13.43% 24.54% 21.30% 19.29% 8.64% 5.40% 1.08% 0.77%  
% of Total Cases 2.67% 7.44% 28.09% 21.82% 16.56% 11.50% 6.17% 3.28% 2.47% 15,730

So the story since the beginning has been that this is not dangerous for younger people unless they have some pre-existing condition, some of which we haven’t figured out.

If that’s true, the supposed scary scenario is that young folks go to their schools,  bars, COVID parties, and whatever and bring it home.  They end up fine but they kill grandma who’s just sitting at home watching her stories on the TV.  

But, the stats seem to indicate that now 3/4 of cases (and 3/4 of day-over-day cases) are 49 or younger.  That’s a big difference from early on and even from May.  Thus the death rate % should be dropping like a rock because fewer and fewer grandmas are getting it.  And it has dropped. Noticeably. But not like a rock. 

13 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So the story since the beginning has been that this is not dangerous for younger people unless they have some pre-existing condition, some of which we haven’t figured out.

If that’s true, the supposed scary scenario is that young folks go to their schools,  bars, COVID parties, and whatever and bring it home.  They end up fine but they kill grandma who’s just sitting at home watching her stories on the TV.  

But, the stats seem to indicate that now 3/4 of cases (and 3/4 of day-over-day cases) are 49 or younger.  That’s a big difference from early on and even from May.  Thus the death rate % should be dropping like a rock because fewer and fewer grandmas are getting it.  And it has dropped. Noticeably. But not like a rock. 

The death curve will be interesting to see. Won't be updated on TCAD site until next week. Once it is I will add the WoW death view. Throughout this 60+ has made up ~12% of cases and 85% of deaths. Did see deaths in the 20-29 bucket for first time (3) last week. Will be interesting to see if this trend progresses.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You wear masks and are outside I like your odds a lot better than indoors with no mask.  That was one key difference.  I can still see the Michigan bozos yelling inside the state capital. Anyways, zero flare here in Chicago after some massive protests.  Just one data point...

Han Solo Never GIF - HanSolo Never Odds GIFs

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such