COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Here is the case by age bucket day over day. 7/13 vs 7/12.

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/13 vs 7/12 36 87 159 138 125 56 35 7 5 648
% of Daily Change 5.56% 13.43% 24.54% 21.30% 19.29% 8.64% 5.40% 1.08% 0.77%  
% of Total Cases 2.67% 7.44% 28.09% 21.82% 16.56% 11.50% 6.17% 3.28% 2.47% 15,730

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Here is the case by age bucket day over day. 7/13 vs 7/12.

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/13 vs 7/12 36 87 159 138 125 56 35 7 5 648
% of Daily Change 5.56% 13.43% 24.54% 21.30% 19.29% 8.64% 5.40% 1.08% 0.77%  
% of Total Cases 2.67% 7.44% 28.09% 21.82% 16.56% 11.50% 6.17% 3.28% 2.47% 15,730

Correct me if I am wrong but that tells me the 20-40 brackets are a bunch of fuckups, while us olds are either the smartest ones around or else we be dead already.

• Like 2

Darwin is fucking busy this year.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/07/12/i-think-i-made-mistake-young-man-texas-dies-after-attending-covid-party/

‘I think I made a mistake’: Young man from Texas dies after attending COVID-19 party

July 12, 2020 at 1:32 AM EDT - Updated July 12 at 10:41 PM

SAN ANTONIO (KSAT/CNN) - A San Antonio doctor says a man in his 30s who thought the coronavirus was a “hoax” died from the disease after attending a COVID-19 party.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer at San Antonio’s Methodist Hospital, says lately she’s been hearing about COVID-19 parties, which young people allegedly attend to see who gets infected first or who can survive the virus.

“Someone will be diagnosed with the disease, and they’ll have a party to invite their friends over to see if they can beat the disease,” Appleby said.

The doctor says a 30-year-old man recently died at the hospital after attending one of these parties.

“One of the things that was heart-wrenching that he said to his nurse was, ‘You know, I think I made a mistake.' And this young man went to a COVID party,” she said. “He didn’t really believe. He thought the disease was a hoax. He thought he was young and invincible and wouldn’t get affected by the disease.”

Appleby says some young patients don’t know how sick they are.

“People will come in initially, and they don’t look so bad. They don’t look really sick. But when you check their oxygen levels and their lab tests, they’re really sicker than they appear on the surface,” she said.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

“Someone will be diagnosed with the disease, and they’ll have a party to invite their friends over to see if they can beat the disease,” Appleby said.

Jesus fucking christ. Even if you were somehow 100% guaranteed not to die, how fucking braindead stupid do you have to be to essentially purposely give yourself a disease whose long term affects are completely unknown?

(waiting for the follow-up report that he went to A&M)

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Jesus fucking christ. Even if you were somehow 100% guaranteed not to die, how fucking braindead stupid do you have to be to essentially purposely give yourself a disease whose long term affects are completely unknown?

(waiting for the follow-up report that he went to A&M)

Upon finding out that my wife my have covid, one of my genius brother suggests that the entire family get exposed so that we all get it and get over it.

I think we are getting "piecemealed" on what will be an eventual full closure as far as schools, extracurricular activities, and society in general. Last time they announced a full shutdown up front, people rioted and acted a fool all over social media and in public. Grocery stores were hit hard, hoarding spiked, and civil unrest spiked with the proper catalyst (George Floyd). I think the approach now is to slowly trickle the idea of closures and becoming gradually more restrictive every couple of days until we are locked down the way we should be. Kind of a "cooking the frog" type scenario. It can be quite the gamble, though. We're essentially redlining the population to try to keep order and the economy afloat.

• Like 1

wondering if abbott sees a shutdown as a convenient way to put a bandaid on the school opening pushback.  if we do shutdown it gives him a small out to say "schools might not go back to in person until further notice" and everyone starts school online. 

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Beard game strong to quite strong. 9/10.

Thanks, the family from Mrs Shooter on down to all the grandkids have been wanting me to go for the "ZZ" beard for years.  Not really my style or preference but I finally said WTH give it a try.  If nothing else I can gain about 80lbs and have a side job during the holidays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, HoustonFrog said:

How many more shutdowns can the economy really afford? 2Q earnings releases for the big banks starting to come out and its very ugly. The banks are a pretty good proxy for the economy in general... as businesses and consumers fail, so do banks.

It can’t afford any more. We’ve taken half-measures both on the public health front and economically. We will pay dearly for it.

It can’t afford any more. We’ve taken half-measures both on the public health front and economically. We will pay dearly for it.

Yeah I posted back in late March/April that we need to make whatever shutdowns we are doing count.

That being said - I do think I was wrong. Texas didn’t need to shutdown in March and April. We needed to shutdown at beginning of May and shutdown hard.
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Correct me if I am wrong but that tells me the 20-40 brackets are a bunch of fuckups, while us olds are either the smartest ones around or else we be dead already.

It is showing that from a case basis the case count skews younger. What isn't on here are the reported deaths which skew heavily older (85% of deaths from 60+ years old)

For your case given you may have antibodies in place from the Bubonic Plague & the Spanish Flu you are probably ok but most centenarians should probably keep their heads down and stay the fuck away from their extended families.

46 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

“One of the things that was heart-wrenching that he said to his nurse was, ‘You know, I think I made a mistake.'

Ya think? Well, not no more.

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I don't see why everybody keeps treating things as a monolith defined by arbitrary lines as big as states and nations.  I get that at some point you have to use a line somewhere but most countries and states are just too big.  

Could the state have basically set up a system of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green and then dictated that it would be applied at a county level.  So for example your county is red, full stop lockdown like it was back in April.  Oh you all are yellow, well you can't do these few things and you gotta wear a mask blah blah.  Etc.

Actually devise a system that lays out a common set of rules and gives folks local accountability for where they live.

Get your shit together Harris County or hey good job Harris County etc.  

Otherwise it's sort of like making the whole team run gassers or eat runny eggs and burnt toast when one dude jumps offsides...it works really well to a point and then the seniors who are just sick of that shit start to act out and revolt

So basically what NY state is doing after the initial fuckups? Wish Abbott would allow for local control and only manage in a stepped back, macro level.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Thanks, the family from Mrs Shooter on down to all the grandkids have been wanting me to go for the "ZZ" beard for years.  Not really my style or preference but I finally said WTH give it a try.  If nothing else I can gain about 80lbs and have a side job during the holidays.

That would actually be kinda cool.  You could hike up your pants leg and tell some kid "bet you didn't know Santa is a Transformer!"  

• Haha 2

I'm going to be pretty shocked if Abbot orders, or allows other cities, any shutdown without a significant further increase in hospitalizations.   As others have stated above, I just don't think he has the 'support' within his base.  He's taking a lot of heat already for the masking order and bar closures.   Today is the big "catch up" day so numbers will almost certainly be bad but I do think there is a decent chance things flatten out over the next couple of weeks based on increased masking, bars closing and general behavioral changes that have now been in place for several weeks (although you have to worry about a July 4th spike that could skew any recovery).   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

It is showing that from a case basis the case count skews younger. What isn't on here are the reported deaths which skew heavily older (85% of deaths from 60+ years old)

For your case given you may have antibodies in place from the Bubonic Plague & the Spanish Flu you are probably ok but most centenarians should probably keep their heads down and stay the fuck away from their extended families.

That is precisely what we have been doing since the first week in March... except for eye surgery in May, weekly trips for curbside & drive thru service. Plus a couple of careful visits to the chiropractor, and today to a gun shop to do a new firearm transfer. Always masked, carry sanitizer, spray shoe soles, and shed clothes in the garage when returning from the inside visits.

I had a severe case of Montezuma’s revenge 60 years ago. Does that count?

Edited by Armybrat

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The most amazing thing out of this whole pandemic is watching people’s complete inability to live without the most frivolous things. 

Its both hilarious and sad at the same time

Might as well shoot myself if the DQ drive-thru is forced to close.

Thinking about this more, the only way I could see Abbot ordering a shutdown is if he sells it that we need to drive infections way down over a few weeks in order for schools to open back up.   Because I don't think you can have it both ways. 

Something’s coming. County judge here was pretty emotional in her press briefing yesterday. Haven’t seen that before. Really pushed the idea of telling tourists to stay away and said she was contacting leaders around the state asking for their help to keep people home. Strongly hinted she’s going to try another beach closure.

55 minutes ago, achooloco said:

So basically what NY state is doing after the initial fuckups? Wish Abbott would allow for local control and only manage in a stepped back, macro level.

I would call it a mix, it can't be every county judge just doing whatever inconsistently (true local control).  They all have the same macro framework to work in and that framework pretty much dictates their decision/action.  Politics would probably fuck it up.  

Continuing to apply broad brush treatment to geographies the size of this country and this state are not really working but it seems that allowing the every jurisdiction for itself mentality is also problematic both in addressing the virus and in having people in areas that may not be as high risk balk at being lumped in with those that clearly are.

Think globally, act locally....or something buzzy like that.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Thinking about this more, the only way I could see Abbot ordering a shutdown is if he sells it that we need to drive infections way down over a few weeks in order for schools to open back up.   Because I don't think you can have it both ways. 

This is exactly what I was thinking.  And if that's the case, it's coming soon so i'd hit the store pretty soon.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Abbott said no lockdown yesterday so what are folks hearing that changed...saw some numbers pissed his pant and now he is sitting in it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/14/texas-hospitals-coronavirus/

Travis County is planning for a mobile morgue, just in case.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/travis-county-officials-plan-for-mobile-morgue-as-precaution-during-pandemic/

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Abbott is torn between two competing forces:

1) He’s going to be censured by over a dozen county GOP organizations for allowing mask mandates by business. The base thinks he’s weak on support for Trump and that he’s virtue signaling for the media and the libs.

2) He’s seeing his approval on his handling of the crisis rapidly slip among normies because he forcibly lifted the lockdowns in big cities too soon over the objections of local leaders. 

The school districts are starting to stand up to his (and the fed's threats) about defunding the schools/defunding virtual learning if they don't open up when they want them to.  Round Rock of all places, is leading the way with Fort Bend.    They are daring him to try and yank their funding.

He does not want to go down as somebody who wrecked the school districts of 5 million Texas kids during a pandemic, because he can't blame anybody but himself.  It's not fake news that Texas hospitals are starting to fill up, or that morgues in South Texas are full.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

Could the state have basically set up a system of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green and then dictated that it would be applied at a county level.  So for example your county is red, full stop lockdown like it was back in April.  Oh you all are yellow, well you can't do these few things and you gotta wear a mask blah blah.  Etc.

Actually devise a system that lays out a common set of rules and gives folks local accountability for where they live.

Otherwise it's sort of like making the whole team run gassers or eat runny eggs and burnt toast when one dude jumps offsides...it works really well to a point and then the seniors who are just sick of that shit start to act out and revolt

The only problem is that this is a pandemic.  If one county jumps offsides, they not only cost us the game, but the entire season.  

If we get strict in Travis County, but surrounding counties blow it off and then blow up, Travis County has to pick up their slack when their 25-bed hospital is full, and that then strains our hospital system.   This is why they are airlifting people out of RGV and bringing them to San Antonio and elsewhere.

We don't get to tell them "hey, you all didn't take this seriously, so why don't you kindly turn those ambulances around before they hit the county line."

I would love it if all Texans acted in the best interests of their fellow Texans, but the bars and the parties and a lot of other things prove otherwise.  Too many of us are children who have to keep testing boundaries, we have to keep touching the hot stove to see if it's still hot.

Remember, one of the symptoms of covid is a sudden urge to travel far and wide.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

wondering if abbott sees a shutdown as a convenient way to put a bandaid on the school opening pushback.  if we do shutdown it gives him a small out to say "schools might not go back to in person until further notice" and everyone starts school online. 

I think this is what is happening.  While he's obviously getting heavily pressured for political reasons, there's some economic interests as well - there has got to be a tremendous amount of pressure to get this under control so that college and pro sports can somehow happen in the fall.  

We joke that Louisiana's Governor did what he did because there was a danger of LSU not being able to play, but there's some truth in that.

2 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

How many more shutdowns can the economy really afford? 2Q earnings releases for the big banks starting to come out and its very ugly. The banks are a pretty good proxy for the economy in general... as businesses and consumers fail, so do banks.

Mnuchin said there will be some kind of stimulus deal done before the end of this month.  I'm guessing if Abbott starts closing things back down, he's gotten assurances that there will be aid coming.

I know plenty of folks and a few local businesses that are barely hanging in there, and another shutdown would be devastating without that aid.

Mnuchin said there will be some kind of stimulus deal done before the end of this month.  I'm guessing if Abbott starts closing things back down, he's gotten assurances that there will be aid coming.

I know plenty of folks and a few local businesses that are barely hanging in there, and another shutdown would be devastating without that aid.

That’s fine enough but the day of reckoning will come. You can’t print yourself out of reality

The answer to shutting down our economy isn’t indefinite government stimulus

8 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

That’s fine enough but the day of reckoning will come. You can’t print yourself out of reality

The answer to shutting down our economy isn’t indefinite government stimulus

No, it's not, but our government doesn't really care about the deficit, so....

Plus, all of our measures have been taken with an eye on the next month/quarter, when we should have been taking a longer-term approach.

Ordered 2 of these from the coop.  I am hoping the large will fit.  These have a pocket for a filter which is nice.  I haven't found a cloth mask that doesn't try to rip my ears off yet.  Have been using the disposal surgical ones because of that.

https://www.universitycoop.com/Texas-Longhorns-DistanZ-Polygiene-Mask?custcol_coop_coloroption_gm=1

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Ordered 2 of these from the coop.  I am hoping the large will fit.  These have a pocket for a filter which is nice.  I haven't found a cloth mask that doesn't try to rip my ears off yet.  Have been using the disposal surgical ones because of that.

I avoid the earloop models for that reason.  They are more common because they are easier to make, but prefer the type that I tie  behind my head. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I avoid the earloop models for that reason.  They are more common because they are easier to make, but prefer the type that I tie  behind my head. 

Tried those.  Trying to tie something around the back of my head was like Michael J. Fox trying to write cursive.  What a waste of these opposable thumbs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I'm a Christian, and as a Christian I'll tell you this..THE CHURCHES NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN TOO.

Our church was already doing Facebook Live services before this all happened.  The closest thing we do to gatherings is on Wednesday night when we record video for music.  Usually about 10 people in the Sanctuary total.  

My point is I imagine there are lot of churches that have been able to pivot and adjust by now.  I know there are some out there that are trying to go about business as usual though.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such