COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Tried those.  Trying to tie something around the back of my head was like Michael J. Fox trying to write cursive.  What a waste of these opposable thumbs. 

Yeah, I only use the ones with ties if it's going to stay on for a long time.  If I'm going into the grocery store for 15 minutes, and then headed back home, I use the earloop ones so I can take if off when I'm back in my car.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

If there is a shutdown in anything else and indoor churches are left out of it might as well fuck it off.

If you’re going to some indoor church and get sick drop that person off at church for treatment.  Just like the guy at the bar can be left on a stool at his favorite watering hole.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  Or drink/pray harder.  

• Like 1

I can technically buy an "8.0", but I'd prefer an "8 1/4"  

According to the NFL measuring technique of hands, mine are slightly over 10.5"  My feet are between a 12-13, depending on brand. Metrics far beyond men several inches beyond my 6'1" size.  

And South Austin's mom describes my cock as "adequate, to moderately adequate."  

Edited by Lobo

Serious question:

Can someone explain the thinking I saw up-thread regarding why it makes sense to open school for elementary and pre-k kids, but not middle and high school?

I get the obvious "young kids fare much better" argument, but what else am I missing?

We have a 4 year old, currently slated to return to pre-school on September 1. Over the last 2 weeks, I've soured quite a bit on her returning, but also don't see us keeping her at home until a vaccine or we get this under control.

Middle and high school are more able to learn via a remote environment.

Limited evidence that smaller kiddos create fewer particles with less velocity out of the lungs, resulting in lower viral load passed on if they are infected.  So are less likely to pass the virus via airborne transmission.

Regarding that point: I don't know if I agree with that younger kid premise, as I haven't read the studies but people are clinging to it.  Neighbor was going on about how no contact tracing in the US has indicated a smaller child has passed the virus on via airborne, but that's pure anecdote and I don't have sources.  Honestly seems to good to be true to me.

https://www.kxan.com/top-stories/more-u-s-army-medical-task-forces-on-the-way-to-help-texas-fight-covid-19/

Texas’ hospitals are getting additional support from the U.S. Department of Defense to fight COVID-19.

Gov. Greg Abbott announced Monday that the department has activated more U.S. Army medical units — called Urban Augmentation Medical Task Forces — to help with combating the virus..

One team already arrived in San Antonio on July 6, and another arrived in the Houston area Monday, according to a press release from Abbott’s office.

Four more medical task force teams, as well as a few teams from the U.S. Navy will be deployed across the state, according to the release.

Abbott waiting until after election day to pull back the reins on this reopening is one of the worst kept secrets of the year.

edit - I'm not saying its politically motivated one way or the other- just easier to avoid the confusion.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Our church was already doing Facebook Live services before this all happened.  The closest thing we do to gatherings is on Wednesday night when we record video for music.  Usually about 10 people in the Sanctuary total.  

My point is I imagine there are lot of churches that have been able to pivot and adjust by now.  I know there are some out there that are trying to go about business as usual though.

You're doing good work there, but it's amazing how many aren't, you're infringing on my religious freedom etc etc.

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I can technically buy an "8.0", but I'd prefer an "8 1/4"  

According to the NFL measuring technique of hands, mine are slightly over 10.5"  My feet are between a 12-13, depending on brand. Metrics far beyond men several inches beyond my 6'1" size.  

And South Austin's mom describes my cock as "adequate, to moderately adequate."  

7 3/4

17 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You're doing good work there, but it's amazing how many aren't, you're infringing on my religious freedom etc etc.

I know our pastor meets weekly with a group of other Houston area pastors (on zoom) and they are deciding as a group what to do.  So far they have all agreed to stay shut down and only do remote services.

22 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Oh, believe me... I am not saying that we don't have church members saying exactly that and may be wielding their checkbooks around trying to get things back open.

Edited by BonzoMontreaux

57 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Serious question:

Can someone explain the thinking I saw up-thread regarding why it makes sense to open school for elementary and pre-k kids, but not middle and high school?

I get the obvious "young kids fare much better" argument, but what else am I missing?

We have a 4 year old, currently slated to return to pre-school on September 1. Over the last 2 weeks, I've soured quite a bit on her returning, but also don't see us keeping her at home until a vaccine or we get this under control.

I’m sure another thought is that schools for elementary aged kids are de facto daycares while middle school and high schoool kids can take care of themselves. So it’s about helping out working parents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Tried those.  Trying to tie something around the back of my head was like Michael J. Fox trying to write cursive.  What a waste of these opposable thumbs. 

Same here since I've gotten older.  Having long hair doesn't help either.

28 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Oh, believe me... I am not saying that we don't have church members saying exactly that and may be wielding their checkbooks around trying to get things back open.

That's beyond sad.

I'm not saying for sure that anyone would die, but God help their conscience should little Melissa Sue catch it and pass away. I wouldn't want that burden on my heart.

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Serious question:

I saw somewhere younger kids much less likely to spread the virus.  Saw that recently.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

It worked for Weimar Germany  And Zimbabwe in the 2000s. 

My family builds wheelbarrows. 

Your definition of “worked” is different than mine.  Look up the South American economies in the 80s.  Hyperinflation is no joke.  Back then you could just dollar denominate and be safe.

Just now, gsoda3 said:

... it worked?

5 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Your definition of “worked” is different than mine.  Look up the South American economies in the 80s.  Hyperinflation is no joke.  Back then you could just dollar denominate and be safe.

obviously my reference was too obscure 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Fair enough.  What currency will the black market demand I use?  Yuan?

I suspect the euro for a stopgap if all hell breaks loose here.  No one trusts Gyna.  So renminbi is out.  But probably the dollar is the likeliest bet still.

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

Serious question:

Partly the older kids have a better ability to learn online, but mostly it’s because kids younger than middle school require daycare/supervision.  A parent would have to stay home.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

How's the comfort/heat factor?

Excellent. The neck strap gets a bit sweaty, but it's very comfortable. Much better than a surgical mask. Plus the carbon filter inserts last a month.

And it looks like carbon filters do precisely shit against viruses.

Fml. Should have researched more.

Edited by MissingInAction

24 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Excellent. The neck strap gets a bit sweaty, but it's very comfortable. Much better than a surgical mask. Plus the carbon filter inserts last a month.

And it looks like carbon filters do precisely shit against viruses.

Fml. Should have researched more.

Replace the carbon filters with some type of more effective filter?

24 minutes ago, justhookit said:

605 new cases for Corpus/Nueces County today. Beat the old record from last Wednesday by 160 cases. Good bye beach and restaurants.

Fuck, we're supposed to finish this job tomorrow and I can't get out of here fast enough.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Never thought I'd have a boner over a vaccine but here we are.  C19 life fucking blows.  Let's roll this MF out. 

Now the real rubber meets the road.  N=30k phase III trial.  For reference this was a N=45 phase I trial. 

• Like 2

The optimistic view is that our testing situation is so bad that some of this at least is a snapshot of a week to even 10 days or more in the past. The masks and bars closings should be helping by now. Hospitalization numbers are steady to even down a little for now.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I'm still betting on November.  hopin the smart guys come through.

You and me both, brother.  You and me both.  I have zero room in my fucking life for optimism these days, so I'm not even going to dare to hope......but I can't just forget about it, either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

The optimistic view is that our testing situation is so bad that some of this at least is a snapshot of a week to even 10 days or more in the past. The masks and bars closings should be helping by now. Hospitalization numbers are steady to even down a little for now.

Yep, agree.  I will say the good news in all this is how quickly behavior modification seems to help.  If there's a saving grace at least it shows we truly can save ourselves.  Sadly 'ourselves' are some dumb MF's...but there's a got damn chance and I'll celebrate anything these days. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You and me both, brother.  You and me both.  I have zero room in my fucking life for optimism these days, so I'm not even going to dare to hope......but I can't just forget about it, either.

this too shall pass.  it sucks but keep the faith.

55 minutes ago, justhookit said:

605 new cases for Corpus/Nueces County today. Beat the old record from last Wednesday by 160 cases. Good bye beach and restaurants.

And the judge just announced they will announce a new beach order tomorrow. I’m expecting at least a 2 week vehicle ban. She also said that considering the number of tests we have in the pipeline, they believe we still haven’t hit the peak new case number yet.

Edited by justhookit

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this too shall pass.  it sucks but keep the faith.

Fuck faith.  I'm a big believer that we control our own destiny, and from what I've seen, we're a bunch of blind drunks at the wheel trying to imitate Dale Fucking Earnhardt....and it keeps ending up as you'd expect.  We've royally fucked ourselves.  Even if a magic wand was waved tomorrow to make the virus go away, the unfucking will take a long-ass time.  

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such