COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck faith.  I'm a big believer that we control our own destiny, and from what I've seen, we're a bunch of blind drunks at the wheel trying to imitate Dale Fucking Earnhardt....and it keeps ending up as you'd expect.  We've royally fucked ourselves.  Even if a magic wand was waved tomorrow to make the virus go away, the unfucking will take a long-ass time.  

well I tried..

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

Serious question:

Can someone explain the thinking I saw up-thread regarding why it makes sense to open school for elementary and pre-k kids, but not middle and high school?

I get the obvious "young kids fare much better" argument, but what else am I missing?

We have a 4 year old, currently slated to return to pre-school on September 1. Over the last 2 weeks, I've soured quite a bit on her returning, but also don't see us keeping her at home until a vaccine or we get this under control.

I had a post of some literature in the AISD thread.  Nothing certain, and you can never take all the risk out, but there you go. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You and me both, brother.  You and me both.  I have zero room in my fucking life for optimism these days, so I'm not even going to dare to hope......but I can't just forget about it, either.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Pre-clinical - lets give this shit to some monkey and see what happens.

Phase 1 - Let's give this to a very small number of highly selected healthy individuals, and see what happens, with a focus on identifying any safety signals.

Phase 2 - Lets test this in a less restrictive, but still relatively small number of individuals, to get initial sense of efficacy and continue our safety evaluations.

Phase 3 - Let's roll this out in a large group of people to conclusively demonstrate efficacy, and further evaluate safety signals in a broad population of people. 

Drug Approval comes here.

Phase 4 - Real world trials to generate additional safety and efficacy data in the types of patients representative of real world practice.

I am sure that there are some nuances to the goals for vax development at each stage that I am glossing over, but that't the gist of it.   

What phase is the phase where Bill Gates slips his mind control microchip into the formula?  That seems to be an essential element of all vaccines these days, or so I've read on the internets.

34 minutes ago, justhookit said:

The optimistic view is that our testing situation is so bad that some of this at least is a snapshot of a week to even 10 days or more in the past. The masks and bars closings should be helping by now. Hospitalization numbers are steady to even down a little for now.

From my friends that work at shoreline this is the case there was a large back up of tests last week that they are just now getting back.

According to an article I read, Moderna estimates they could deliver 500 million vaccines a year starting in 2021 assuming it stays on course for approval.  Surely this is something that they will also farm out to other pharmaceutical manufacturers?

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What phase is the phase where Bill Gates slips his mind control microchip into the formula?  That seems to be an essential element of all vaccines these days, or so I've read on the internets.

The really complex part of this particular development program is going to be hard coding the mark of the beast into the vaccine adjuncts. I give them 1 in 4 on the chances. 

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That would be the 5G phase 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

imagine us stumbling through this and not being the world's default fiat currency. 

its amazing to watch. other folks will make the most of the chaos and improve their position and the US is just losing. its depressing AF but I guess just history. GB had a nice song for this

Nobody learn no nothing from no history. no shit.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And that's fair.

There's no getting between a control freak and his rage against a planet that refuses to bend to his will.  It's a significant personal flaw.

ha. or insanity but agree that significant personal flaw rolls off the tongue nicely.

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

That's beyond sad.

I'm not saying for sure that anyone would die, but God help their conscience should little Melissa Sue catch it and pass away. I wouldn't want that burden on my heart.

On the other hand I feel for the churches trying to make their note. We have loans out to a few that are really struggling. Online giving is foreign concept to the population that can ill afford to pass around the plate. 

It is just bad business to foreclose on a bank so we have tried to assist with setting up online donation. 

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

Dallas County somehow hit exactly 1,000 cases. Seems like metroplex has settled around its peak level if not starting to fall. It will take a while to come down with numbers that high, though. Still too much spread

Agreed there are some signs we are leveling out.  Will be interesting to watch over the rest of the week.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Austin MSA hospitalizations at the same level as a week ago. So we got that going for us, which is nice.

Yeah, we're just hovering around 70 admits per day and 450 hospitalied on average. That needs to bend back down though because right now we're right on the edge of the cliff in terms of capacity. If we hang around here, any little uptick is going to be rough. 

Hopefully that starts trending back down after this little plateau.

52 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

On the other hand I feel for the churches trying to make their note. We have loans out to a few that are really struggling. Online giving is foreign concept to the population that can ill afford to pass around the plate. 

It is just bad business to foreclose on a bank so we have tried to assist with setting up online donation. 

I can understand that, it's a shame the online giving concept is foreign, but dead parishioners tend to give very little, if at all.

55 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol bars are closed but pedal parties are not

2d9cf8a53b61be5bb537776f216f26a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those things fucking suck.  I did it once.  I knew it was gonna suck.  It was worse than that.  I've never been so right about anything in my while life.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck faith.  I'm a big believer that we control our own destiny, and from what I've seen, we're a bunch of blind drunks at the wheel trying to imitate Dale Fucking Earnhardt....and it keeps ending up as you'd expect.  We've royally fucked ourselves.  Even if a magic wand was waved tomorrow to make the virus go away, the unfucking will take a long-ass time.  

You should just start buying shitty vodka and getting loaded all day everyday.   Myopia is no way to live 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cross-posting - Abbott backed down and is no longer threatening to yank funding from schools starting online-only and/or staying online longer.

https://abc13.com/education/abbott-says-tea-to-extend-online-only-option-for-districts/6317436/

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday told 13 Investigates that districts can expect more time to offer online-only learning when the 2020-21 school year starts this fall.

"(Morath) is expected to announce a longer period of time for online learning at the beginning of the school year and flexibility at the local level. This is going to have to be a local level decision, but there will be great latitude and flexibility provided at the local level," Abbott said Tuesda

And Travis County is putting out orders

UPDATED 8:14pm: The Health Authority for Austin-Travis County has issued orders forbidding in-person instruction at all public and private schools offering instruction to students in one or more grades, pre-kindergarten through grade 12 and any independent school districts within Austin-Travis County.

“This order includes appropriate control measures based on the higher risk for spread of COVID-19 in schools due to the necessity of large groups gathering in indoor spaces and the difficulty for children to follow social distancing and hygiene guidelines,” said Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott in a statement.

The following restrictions are effective immediately:

• • School systems shall not re-open schools for on-campus, face-to-face instruction until after September 7, 2020; 
  • • Virtual instruction shall be permitted as per a school system’s own plan; 
  • • Extracurricular sports and activities shall not take place until school systems re-open for on-campus instruction; 
  • • At least two weeks prior to re-opening for on-campus instruction and on-campus activities, the school or district shall develop a plan to be submitted to the Austin/Travis County Health Authority for re-opening on-campus activities and instruction and make the plan available for parents and general public.

Here is daily case change by age bracket for 7/14 vs 7/13. No material change in distribution. The >60 year old is under 12% of total cases for first time in a long time.

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/14 vs 7/13 21 56 128 124 85 69 36 20 10 549
% of Daily Change 3.83% 10.20% 23.32% 22.59% 15.48% 12.57% 6.56% 3.64% 1.82%  
% of Total Cases 2.71% 7.54% 27.93% 21.84% 16.52% 11.54% 6.18% 3.29% 2.45% 15,919

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Those things fucking suck.  I did it once.  I knew it was gonna suck.  It was worse than that.  I've never been so right about anything in my while life.

Convincing people to do that shit is unbelievable salesmanship.  That is the most awful thing to do while drinking that I can think of.

22 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Convincing people to do that shit is unbelievable salesmanship.  That is the most awful thing to do while drinking that I can think of.

Convincing people of anything while drinking is a lot easier.  Still stupid.  I can proudly say I’ve never done that dumbass shit.  

• Like 1

Field hospital at Austin Convention Center to open next week

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-public-health-officials-to-give-update-on-covid-19-response-wednesday-at-1030-a-m/

A temporary field hospital located at the Austin Convention Center will open next week, Austin Public Health officials said in a briefing Wednesday morning.

The “alternate care site,” which will begin operations on July 21, will help ease the burden on local hospitals during the COVID-19 pandemic, officials said.

Dr. Jason Pickett, the Austin-Travis County alternate health authority, said he hopes “we don’t have to take a single patient in it.”

“But we have to be ready for it, and we will be ready,” he added.

I would like to applaud them for having it ready, but because it's the City of Austin, I keep thinking they are going to fuck this up somehow, or that it was actually required like a week ago.

He also shared more plans about how the field hospital will operate, saying that officials do not plan to run an ICU there as patients in need of intensive care “are better served at a hospital.”

“I don’t know if we are going to take patients from hospitals on day one, but I know we will be ready to do so,” he said.

They also released an updated map of testing locations, public and private

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/austin-public-health-releases-map-of-covid-19-testing-locations-in-and-around-austin/

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Convincing people of anything while drinking is a lot easier.  Still stupid.  I can proudly say I’ve never done that dumbass shit.  

Yeah it really is mind boggling.   The equivalent of pulling a rickshaw while the guy riding lets you sip coors lite from a tube.  Fuck that.

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is the field center supposed to be low-intensity COVID only, or non-COVID only?

The one in Philly was for recovering COVID patients. I don't think they ever had more than a half dozen patients and it was shuttered after a few weeks.

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I’m not aware of total numbers yet but I would anticipate decent drop in hospitalizations for SA today. I’ve heard of one location today that had ~20% drop in inpatients. 

Really great news if masks and just being a little more careful can cause a turn around  and prevent a full lockdown.  Along with the vaccine news this is the best I've felt in some time.  

• Like 3

Somebody rigged up a chart to look like it came from the Dept. of Health Services, and tried to compare it to the flu with misleading information.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/verify-dshs-issues-warning-over-misleading-flu-covid-19-chart/285-c4bd8266-039c-42c8-a914-48195284559c

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the people I know on Facebook passed it around.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such