COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Somebody rigged up a chart to look like it came from the Dept. of Health Services, and tried to compare it to the flu with misleading information.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/verify-dshs-issues-warning-over-misleading-flu-covid-19-chart/285-c4bd8266-039c-42c8-a914-48195284559c

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the people I know on Facebook passed it around.

Anyone have a real chart to compare?

65% of Texans not confident in schools being able to safely begin school in person in August.  

Can't wait to see how some reconcile that with their fucked up belief systems.  

47 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Really great news if masks and just being a little more careful can cause a turn around  and prevent a full lockdown.  Along with the vaccine news this is the best I've felt in some time.  

Shut the fuck up, man.  Your chair on the ledge ain't gonna wait for you.....

• Haha 1

What I don't get is that day cares were only closed for what, a month? ...but 3 weeks after our state finally fucking mandates masks, our county decides that schools are suddenly unmanageable hot spots despite all the data? Daycares where teachers have to be extremely hands-on, full of little kids with no understanding of hygiene, personal space, or ability to wear a mask? No problem! Schools full of children that are old enough to understand distancing, wear masks, and take instruction? ONLINE ONLY.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah it really is mind boggling.   The equivalent of pulling a rickshaw while the guy riding lets you sip coors lite from a tube.  Fuck that.

I rode in a rickshaw in Hong Kong 62 years ago. Much preferred the Taipei pedicabs.

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I rode in a rickshaw in Hong Kong 62 years ago. Much preferred the Taipei pedicabs.

I'll take "Shit you'll never anyone say, not even an elderly Chinese citizen" for $800, Alex.  

Considering your role in the Taiping Rebellion as "The Great White Agitator", I'd say you'd earned whatever ride in style you chose good sir. 

Dunno, but Mrs. Brat is scheduled for foot surgery Monday afternoon. Her podiatrist deems it essential surgery, so the elective suspension supposedly does not affect her.

She will be tested for the Covid prior to the outpatient procedure. Surprisingly, I was not tested before my retina surgery in May.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

65% of Texans not confident in schools being able to safely begin school in person in August.  

Can't wait to see how some reconcile that with their fucked up belief systems.  

There's over 5 million school kids in Texas. 

That's a shitload of soccer moms/Karens.

Put 5 million kids back in schools, there's going to be some deaths.  Those soccer moms/Karens will tell the world that there's kids dying in every classroom.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

What I don't get is that day cares were only closed for what, a month? ...but 3 weeks after our state finally fucking mandates masks, our county decides that schools are suddenly unmanageable hot spots despite all the data? Daycares where teachers have to be extremely hands-on, full of little kids with no understanding of hygiene, personal space, or ability to wear a mask? No problem! Schools full of children that are old enough to understand distancing, wear masks, and take instruction? ONLINE ONLY.

Daycares were still going.  I don't know if it was illegal or not, but there were daycares in operation.  We had over 1,200 cases back in June alone, around 400 kids and 800 workers.

Well Abbott is gonna have to say something about this Austin-area and Travis County-area announcement today regarding categorically starting the school year "virtually."  Nevermind the myriad other districts going the same route.  It's going to fly in the face of other leadership in our nation.  noCR, but if you don't think politics are influencing our school year opening plan, you're insane.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Somebody rigged up a chart to look like it came from the Dept. of Health Services, and tried to compare it to the flu with misleading information.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/verify-dshs-issues-warning-over-misleading-flu-covid-19-chart/285-c4bd8266-039c-42c8-a914-48195284559c

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the people I know on Facebook passed it around.

Ya boi @maninblack has already made the rounds posting it without comment or context lmao

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Yesterday there was talk of a new lockdown starting on Friday.  Anyone heard anything else on that?

I'm guessing the backdown over the schools buys him some breathing room.  I think he's also willing to let areas in Texas shut down due to local orders or to actively fine people, when before he was pushing against that.  There's talk that beaches on the coast will be shutting down or heavily limiting the numbers, or getting strict on social distancing, that kind of stuff.  

He's willing to risk an increase in covid numbers now, without a statewide shutdown, with the hopes that local ordinances and the schools going online for the first 2-3 weeks/months will help keep the numbers down in August/September.

His goal is not to completely flatten the curve, it's to keep the hospitals viable and businesses open.  And there is no definitive stimulus money on the horizon either, so shutdown talk is completely out of the equation for now.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well Abbott is gonna have to say something about this Austin-area and Travis County-area announcement today regarding categorically starting the school year "virtually."  Nevermind the myriad other districts going the same route.

No he doesn't, because a shitload of school districts are doing the same thing.  He gave his briefing last night, and that's that.  He won't be announcing anything else this week.

I didn't mean say something to us.  He's gonna have to say something to his boss, in terms of justification.  This is not going to sit well with the White House.  

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

No he doesn't, because a shitload of school districts are doing the same thing.  He gave his briefing last night, and that's that.  He won't be announcing anything else this week.

Yep.  Not to go CR, but what you're seeing is a textbook example of the overwhelming voice of the people (5 million moms saying "I'm not sending my kid to die for someone else's political points") dictating what politicians do, and not vice-versa.  You know, how it's supposed to work.

And politicians are gonna politician -- they'll say "yeah, that was my plan all along" (hell, several have already done just that).  All we the people have to remember is that our officials work for us, not the other way around.  And as perhaps their chief duty is "protect the public from external harm," that's something they can get held to pretty easily.  The schools did what the parents demanded, and leadership has no choice but to fall in line.

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I didn't mean say something to us.  

He's going to draw as little attention to this as possible.    His focus will be on the numbers, and getting folks and supplies into Texas, to help keep the hospitals from becoming a clusterfuck.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I think some other issues with schools is that many teachers don’t feel safe. You could also say the same for bus drivers.

We have a son ready to start 7th grade, but I’m not sure we feel entirely safe sending him to school. He most likely would be fine, but I know that kid has dragged more than one virus home for me over the years. I’m a little concerned he might bring this one back too.

My wife is an SLP at a public school. She had close contact with multiple kids daily including special education students that don’t understand distancing or hygiene. How is she supposed to help the kids learn how to speak properly with masks on? I know there are face shields and things that can be done, but it’s less than optimal. Good luck getting and keeping a mask on for some of the special needs kids.

I have no idea how they can realistically look at the latest surge in cases from reopening (bars and restaurants) and from large public gatherings and tell everyone that school in person is safe.

41 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think this is correct. Look at new numbers this weekend. 

Daycares were still going.  I don't know if it was illegal or not, but there were daycares in operation.  We had over 1,200 cases back in June alone, around 400 kids and 800 workers.

They were allowed to keep kids who had parents that were essential workers. 

They were allowed to keep kids who had parents that were essential workers. 

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Sometimes they give it all

Well that's true too.  I don't know of anyone personally but have read from time to time about people who leave everything to their churches, sometimes even if it means leaving their children nothing.

I'm pretty sure my wife's grandparents are gonna do that.  They're leaving their business to their sons, but it's pretty much all wound down now, but I think they're leaving their personal assets to the local Catholic diocese.  Some of the sons asked me to review the parent's estate and business continuity plans.  I did, slid it back across the table to them, and asked that they never involve me in any of this again.  The ensuing shitshow that's coming when the grandpa dies (grandma is already passed) is going to tear that family apart for a decade.  In my old CFP days, I saw an estate shitfest or two, but this one is gonna take the cake.  People think leaving money to a church is gonna solve some big tax issue.  All it does is create other issues that are far, far worse.  

My grandfather kinda did that as well.  Left his local Lutheran Church several bucks.  He took care of his one daughter that was kind of always down on her luck financially, but then left the rest to his Church.  I didn't protest, his decades of faithful service to the Church brought him a great deal of peace and inspiration.  So for my girls, public school it is!  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I'm pretty sure my wife's grandparents are gonna do that.  They're leaving their business to their sons, but it's pretty much all wound down now, but I think they're leaving their personal assets to the local Catholic diocese.  Some of the sons asked me to review the parent's estate and business continuity plans.  I did, slid it back across the table to them, and asked that they never involve me in any of this again.  The ensuing shitshow that's coming when the grandpa dies (grandma is already passed) is going to tear that family apart for a decade.  In my old CFP days, I saw an estate shitfest or two, but this one is gonna take the cake.  People think leaving money to a church is gonna solve some big tax issue.  All it does is create other issues that are far, far worse.  

My grandfather kinda did that as well.  Left his local Lutheran Church several bucks.  He took care of his one daughter that was kind of always down on her luck financially, but then left the rest to his Church.  I didn't protest, his decades of faithful service to the Church brought him a great deal of peace and inspiration.  So for my girls, public school it is!  

Wow, let me introduce myself.  I am Father Dementadonelli,. I have a small, brand new church.   It's an incredible church full of dedicated servants of the almighty.  We are, despite our best efforts in dire straights financially due to our constant sacrificial giving.  We are in need of a benefactor in the worst way. I, along with all my brothers and sisters would be ever so grateful if you could please mention us and our situation to your wonderful in-laws.

Sincerely,

Father D

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Something's up with the Texas Dept of Health data page. They list 10791 for the daily tally, but their total cases is 282,365. That's only 7,307 above yesterday.

They pulled 3000 from previous totals for Bexar county for some kind of presumptive vs confirmed count snafu.

So record for daily cases, deaths, slightly lower hospital numbers and hold steady positivity at 17%. Not encouraging.

• Like 2

Frankly though hospital numbers are the only thing I hope are somewhat real time.  Cases are delayed because of our shitshow of a testing clusterfuck and deaths are always a bit on a lag because for whatever reason nobody anywhere seems to be able to make accurate real time reporting on one of the most vital statistics there is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I have no idea how they can realistically look at the latest surge in cases from reopening (bars and restaurants) and from large public gatherings and tell everyone that school in person is safe.

They can't.  And that's probably what UT's modeling folks are telling Abbott.    Put 5 million kids into Texas's schools in August, and you'll a) spread it even more amongst the olds and b) increase the likelihood a kid with a compromised system will get it and die.  Abbott does not want that on his hands.

The other thing is, like I said, between mask wearing, large public gatherings being shut down, closing bars/other facilities, locales closing down certain hotspots, and schools being online at the start, there's a chance we can keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  That's what we need to keep most businesses functioning (and possibly get sports off the ground).

Above all else, keep the hospitals afloat until a vaccine is widely available.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Other than the forgery of the seal, are the numbers accurate?

• Fuck You 6

4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

They pulled 3000 from previous totals for Bexar county for some kind of presumptive vs confirmed count snafu.

So record for daily cases, deaths, slightly lower hospital numbers and hold steady positivity at 17%. Not encouraging.

Thanks, wondered about that. Thanks for the explanation.

This news sucks.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:32 AM, justhookit said:

Something’s coming. County judge here was pretty emotional in her press briefing yesterday. Haven’t seen that before. Really pushed the idea of telling tourists to stay away and said she was contacting leaders around the state asking for their help to keep people home. Strongly hinted she’s going to try another beach closure.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:49 PM, justhookit said:

And the judge just announced they will announce a new beach order tomorrow. I’m expecting at least a 2 week vehicle ban. She also said that considering the number of tests we have in the pipeline, they believe we still haven’t hit the peak new case number yet.

And we got it. 500 new cases yesterday for the 2nd highest total ever. New order announced  is beaches closed to vehicle traffic until Aug1 and will be re-evaluated. If we don’t see a downturn soon down here this is going to extend thru Labor Day.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They can't.  And that's probably what UT's modeling folks are telling Abbott.    Put 5 million kids into Texas's schools in August, and you'll a) spread it even more amongst the olds and b) increase the likelihood a kid with a compromised system will get it and die.  Abbott does not want that on his hands.

The other thing is, like I said, between mask wearing, large public gatherings being shut down, closing bars/other facilities, locales closing down certain hotspots, and schools being online at the start, there's a chance we can keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  That's what we need to keep most businesses functioning (and possibly get sports off the ground).

Above all else, keep the hospitals afloat until a vaccine is widely available.

With the irreparable damage we are doing to kids by going on line, why not just postpone the start 6 months or a year and try to get them in the classroom?  Disadvantage children - poor, minority - are going to suffer if it goes online.  Their parents will be at work (or looking for work) and won't have the time to make sure they are getting online, their parents won't care if they get on or not, the kids will skip it, or will have to find work to help make ends meet, etc.  The percentage that will actually do what they are supposed to do is not great.  And the education they will recieve online vs. in person is very poor.

So you want to delay the start 6-12 months and what would they be doing instead? Isn’t even subpar online learning better than....nothing?  

Guess I don’t follow your logic with that. Something is better than nothing? 

28 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Highest total for Texas ever yesterday in cases and deaths. Damn, thought we were leveling off this past weekend

Deaths are going to continue to climb. If they do not then the overall cases stat is pure unmitigated garbage.

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such