COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

7 hours ago, landman said:

With the irreparable damage we are doing to kids by going on line, why not just postpone the start 6 months or a year and try to get them in the classroom?  Disadvantage children - poor, minority - are going to suffer if it goes online.  Their parents will be at work (or looking for work) and won't have the time to make sure they are getting online, their parents won't care if they get on or not, the kids will skip it, or will have to find work to help make ends meet, etc.  The percentage that will actually do what they are supposed to do is not great.  And the education they will recieve online vs. in person is very poor.

Kids are a lot more resilient than you give them credit for, but perhaps you've never had reason to keep one in a secret basement for years on end.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Well the company running the new data collection program is called TeleTracking, got only $10MM to fund it, and got it through a no-bid contract and HHS has provided zero reasoning for the out-of-the-blue change. This NPR story has some more detail/facts, but hospitals are getting caught flat-footed by this because they have their hands full with, ya know, the fucking pandemic.

Remember Austin changing up their data collection/tracking back around June 22?

Yeah, that resulted in cases that tested positive after hospitalization not being included in the numbers until we got a few weeks down the road and had a "oh holy shit" moment last week.

And as somebody who has done a lot of database work over the past 20 years, including working on some government projects, it will not surprise me when numbers are fucked up, not out of any kind of malevolence, but because they change systems.

Furk.

52 test positive at one nursing home in Austin

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/52-test-positive-for-covid-19-at-austin-nursing-home/

And this was released last night

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/nursing-home-investigations/nursing-home-defenses-have-been-penetrated-austin-area-health-officials-warn-after-covid-19-cases-spike/

In a presentation to the Travis County Commissioner’s Court on Tuesday, 240 new cases were reported in long-term care facilities last week. Austin Public Health Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott compared that to the week before, when 48 new cases were reported. 

The data revealed 218 staff members and 253 residents have now tested positive.

“Our nursing home defenses have been penetrated, and we are seeing numbers like we were seeing early on in this outbreak.” he said. “This provides us evidence that we have to do better at reducing the community transmission, and two — we have to have additional resources to do more aggressive testing and containment.” 

He noted that a state testing contract with CVS-Omnicare will help. They hope to receive more details on that effort to test nursing home residents and staff later this week.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Remember Austin changing up their data collection/tracking back around June 22?

Yeah, that resulted in cases that tested positive after hospitalization not being included in the numbers until we got a few weeks down the road and had a "oh holy shit" moment last week.

And as somebody who has done a lot of database work over the past 20 years, including working on some government projects, it will not surprise me when numbers are fucked up, not out of any kind of malevolence, but because they change systems.

I do enterprise-scale IT operational work. This is starting a brand new critical project from scratch in production on black friday levels of bad planning. The numbers WILL be fucked up, and it's going to adversely impact the ability of decision makers to make fully informed policy decisions. Fuckin 2020, man

• Like 1

Deaths are going to continue to break records for a while because of the massive increase in hospitalizations.  Cases will probably continue to break records as well due to more testing with a positivity rate that appears to be stabilizing.  Fortunately, hospitalizations appear to have stabilized, at least in Houston.  Let's hope it holds. 

The RGV is a shitshow.  

Also, the nursing home news out of Travis/Austin is . . . not good.  

Edited by bschoolprof

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

And now we know why the Governor/TEA backed off.  Last week, he was saying this week was going to be even worse.  

He's got a direct line to the UT modeling group, I'm assuming.

The only direct line I have to any UT modeling group dried up many years ago, and involves restraining orders and accusations that I wasn't actually a photographer for a modeling agency, but just some guy taking photos and selling them on the internet.  Which is what I thought a modeling agency does, but the Travis County D.A. disagreed.

The Surly response at its finest. Need an intern? 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Deaths are going to continue to break records for a while because of the massive increase in hospitalizations.  Cases will probably continue to break records as well due to more testing with a positivity rate that appears to be stabilizing.  Fortunately, hospitalizations appear to have stabilized, at least in Houston.  Let's hope it holds. 

The RGV is a shitshow.  

Also, the nursing home news out of Travis/Austin is . . . not good.  

Man, yeah, the nursing home stuff sucks. I think this is what a lot of us were concerned about at first when our spike in cases was mostly young people and it wasn't really that bad. Secondary/tertiary transmission. It's nasty what happens when this thing just takes a tiny little root up in a nursing home. Let's hope this is isolated.

Edited by BradInATX

Our former resident disaster scientist made it known on twitter that keeping schools physically closed until at least September 7 is unconstitutional and unjustified.

Guess that Harvard online training paid off.

Her disaster training sure as fuck didn't pay off, or else she slept through the course on pandemics.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

In a presentation to the Travis County Commissioner’s Court on Tuesday, 240 new cases were reported in long-term care facilities last week. Austin Public Health Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott compared that to the week before, when 48 new cases were reported. 

Yeesh.  

I'm about to say to hell with it and start confronting these selfish maskless/exposed nose scumbags in stores.  Saw the ultimate Kung Flu Mary today in HEB.  50's bottle redhead without a mask and parading an obviously bogus service German Shephard all over the place.  Of course not a single employee or manager said anything.  Some other doofus in his 60's with the mask way below his sizeable schnoz forever hovering and sniffing around the Creamy Creations doors, and eventually put back half of the 6 cartons he slowly added to his cart.  I wonder if China is paying him to fog the aisles with their bio warfare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

The numbers WILL be fucked up, and it's going to adversely impact the ability of decision makers to make fully informed policy decisions. Fuckin 2020, man

No CR but some of our decision makers are making policy fully unencumbered by any consideration of data or otherwise being "fully informed."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I'm about to say to hell with it and start confronting these selfish maskless/exposed nose scumbags in stores.  Saw the ultimate Kung Flu Mary today in HEB.  50's bottle redhead without a mask and parading an obviously bogus service German Shephard all over the place.  Of course not a single employee or manager said anything.  Some other doofus in his 60's with the mask way below his sizeable schnoz forever hovering and sniffing around the Creamy Creations doors, and eventually put back half of the 6 cartons he slowly added to his cart.  I wonder if China is paying him to fog the aisles with their bio warfare.

Better chose wisely, don't wanna see clapclapclap as a statistic. Best just to mask up and keep your distance. The first thing to get ripped off during fisticuffs will be your mask. Just give idiots a wide berth. Only thing worse than five months of PPE and social distancing is to get shot. People aren't stabile out there, on either side.

CHIEF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Deaths are going to continue to break records for a while because of the massive increase in hospitalizations.

No no no. That can’t be. I was told that this wave was different because deaths and hospitalizations were on the decline.

To be fair, I was told that by morons who haven’t been right about a single aspect of this pandemic. 

• Like 1

So flame away, but right now I'm still set on sending my daughter to Camp Champions a week from this Sunday for a two-week session.  I'm not hearing any horror stories from this or other camps.  We're in self-quarantine right now and will be in super lock-down for two weeks when she returns.  She really needs it, and for the first time in a long time she is really has something to look forward to. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Better chose wisely, don't wanna see clapclapclap as a statistic. Best just to mask up and keep your distance. The first thing to get ripped off during fisticuffs will be your mask. Just give idiots a wide berth. Only thing worse than five months of PPE and social distancing is to get shot. People aren't stabile out there, on either side.

CHIEF

Truth.

In a sense I'm glad I'm older and not in the greatest of health, not to mention calmer in my advanced age.  A mid 30's shooter would probably be in jail by now or dead.  So many times I've bit my lip knowing a physical confrontation would just result in me taking a serious ass whipping.

Serenity Now, Serenity Now....

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

I'm at the Toyota dealership in Austin and it's a parade of stupid. Most recently watched a 10 year old remove his mask to sneeze.
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
54 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I'm at the Toyota dealership in Austin and it's a parade of stupid. Most recently watched a 10 year old remove his mask to sneeze.

Yeah... yer gonna catch the Ronas today.  T&P.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
4 minutes ago, utee94 said:
Yeah... yer gonna catch the Ronas today.  T&P.

At least I'll die in a nice new truck.

Oh yes?  Interesting.  Tell us more and post pics in the Truck Nuts thread in Hobbies...

(we're waiting with 'bated breath to know what kind of deal we're getting on an only slightly used truck when the ronas kill you... ;) )

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

You saw the idiot who pulled a gun in Florida over a mask?

We've seen some folks giving up nice jobs because they lose their shit over a piece of fucking fabric that's meant to protect others.  Makes you wonder how many nuts are truly out there.

I have no doubt we have plenty here. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

https://medicalcityhealthcare.com/about/newsroom/covid-19-patient-discharged-after-79-days?location=medical-city-north-hills

Paola Castillo, 24, North Richland Hills, is going home after being hospitalized for 79 days at Medical City North Hills with COVID-19. She arrived in the emergency department with difficulty breathing, a cough and fever on April 27.

Her road to recovery is far from over after discharge, but the staff are celebrating her fighting spirit and remarkable recovery against dismal odds. Castillo was close to death during her nearly 3-month stay at the hospital.

She spent more than a month in the ICU and on a ventilator where she said her husband and mother were told it was “touch and go.” In the ICU while on the ventilator, medications kept her sedated and calm and she recalls only a few interactions with staff in what she thought were dreams, including one she will never forget.

Wow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Our former resident disaster scientist made it known on twitter that keeping schools physically closed until at least September 7 is unconstitutional and unjustified.

Guess that Harvard online training paid off.

Her disaster training sure as fuck didn't pay off, or else she slept through the course on pandemics.

That stupid bitch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

So flame away, but right now I'm still set on sending my daughter to Camp Champions a week from this Sunday for a two-week session.  I'm not hearing any horror stories from this or other camps.  We're in self-quarantine right now and will be in super lock-down for two weeks when she returns.  She really needs it, and for the first time in a long time she is really has something to look forward to. 

Go for it.

Sounds like she has your mom’s spirit. 

But seriously I don’t begrudge anyone trying to provide some normalcy for their kids. This is hard on them. And with the rush of distance learning announcements coming, it’s a fucking beat down. Let them have their fun. Kids are less likely to transmit the virus anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

https://medicalcityhealthcare.com/about/newsroom/covid-19-patient-discharged-after-79-days?location=medical-city-north-hills
Paola Castillo, 24, North Richland Hills, is going home after being hospitalized for 79 days at Medical City North Hills with COVID-19. She arrived in the emergency department with difficulty breathing, a cough and fever on April 27.
Her road to recovery is far from over after discharge, but the staff are celebrating her fighting spirit and remarkable recovery against dismal odds. Castillo was close to death during her nearly 3-month stay at the hospital.
She spent more than a month in the ICU and on a ventilator where she said her husband and mother were told it was “touch and go.” In the ICU while on the ventilator, medications kept her sedated and calm and she recalls only a few interactions with staff in what she thought were dreams, including one she will never forget.
Wow.

But did she die?
  • Haha 1

There will be so many people getting million dollar hospital bills. If you end up in the ICU, they might as well have bankruptcy lawyers by the front door waiting for you to get the whole things started right away.

Corpus was way down today. Went from 500 to 329 new cases. just because I’m a cynic I’ll wait till mid week next week but hopefully this is the start of our downward turn. Hospitalizations went up, but that’s a reflection of what was going on the last week or two. Can’t speak for Corpus, but mask usage in Port A is near 100% in stores, convenience stores, and IGA grocery store. Restaurants are still a shitshow.

Also the first of the big money marlin tournaments started today. They had a better turnout than I expected. I was going to fish it but decided not to because I didn’t want to be around people for 48 hours in an enclosed boat. The original cases here in Port A came from a group that fished together a few days down in Costa Rica. Inside you are living on top of each other in a very small space for days. Outside you are right next to each other and touching the same things constantly. Not worth it.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Also the first of the big money marlin tournaments started today. They had a better turnout than I expected. I was going to fish it but decided not to because I didn’t want to be around people for 48 hours in an enclosed boat. The original cases here in Port A came from a group that fished together a few days down in Costa Rica. Inside you are living on top of each other in a very small space for days. Outside you are right next to each other and touching the same things constantly. Not worth it.

Well... yeah.  That's exactly the kind of environment that spreads infection.  And not just COVID19.

I think after all of this, a lot of people are going to seriously reconsider a lot of their activities, and at least wash their hands a hell of a lot more than they used to, while also not touching their faces.  Perhaps the "vampire cough" will even catch on with the over-10-year-old set...

I really haven't read/seen much reporting on it though in terms of gross costs.  Say 10 days, half in the hospital, half in the ICU.  What's gonna run pre-insurance, $25k?  $50k?  

20 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I heard the same. I also heard that the hospitals get more money from Covid cases than regular cases so they are just classifying everything as Covid. My wife's cousin's wife just delivered a baby in Amarillo, and I heard the doctor wrote "COVID-19" on the birth certificate in sharpie so that they could get that diagnosis money. So now my third-removed nephew is actually named COVID-19inATX. True story.

Shia GIF by swerk

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such