COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, William_Cannon said:

A friend in Houston waited for over two hours to get a test and ended up leaving untested because of the wait. Then two weeks later she got a positive test result in the mail. How messed up is that?

I got tested several weeks ago at Austin Regional Clinic. It went like this: we’ll call you in two or three days to give you the result. Two days later I get a call: yes, blah blah blah, your test was negative and blah blah blah...actually could you hold on for a minute? (a few minutes go by), ughh, yes, actually your test result is not ready yet. WTF?

39 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Damn. Have a trip next Monday to So Padre. House on the beach. Any word over in Cameron County or how So Padre looks?

Cameron is averaging 3-400 cases a day. Tomorrow will be a large bump as they don’t report cases on Sunday’s. I recommend not going to any of the beach bars (Clayton’s).

Cameron is averaging 3-400 cases a day. Tomorrow will be a large bump as they don’t report cases on Sunday’s. I recommend not going to any of the beach bars (Clayton’s).

We are just staying at the house (private pool with beach access).
Pickup food and eat there. No in dining restaurant or shopping.
Just worried about grocery store and gas stations. Ugh. What a beating this covid shit is.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, B00M said:

The same thing that's happening in Austin but with a larger Hispanic population?

Maybe some combination of:

Larger % having to go to work / unable to WFH; 

Larger / generational house holds;

Perhaps more not taking the threat seriously? (last I checked Mexico's federal government was taking it even less seriously than ours)

... Just spit balling here, noracist

I bolded what you are spot-on correct about.  My mother's entire family is from the RGV.  It's a bit of different Hispanic community than who you'll see in Austin or Houston or Dallas.  Same bloodlines, different mentality though.  It's more of an exception that older generations live in the home of the children who themselves have children in other large Texas cities...but in the Valley everybody lives in blended family situations.  The grandkids are still going out to play with friends (not doing zoom playdates 'n shit) and the kids are going to work still, and they're all bringing it home and giving the virus to abuelita.  It's already happened to some of my mom's cousins.  

While the Mexican government has taken this virus about as seriously as we have (which is another national embarrassment, no CR), keep in mind the vast majority of Hispanics in the RGV are not Mexican nationals.  They don't take their public health information directives from Mexico (they distrust the Mexico government more than Whites do, that's why their parents came here in the first place).  Most Hispanics in the RGV are native-born U.S. citizens who take information from doctors very seriously (except when it comes to our diet).  What's more is it's a tighter nit community than most White communities and there is a serious, serious taboo on being the weak-link in the local neighborhood.  If you're the one not taking this seriously and you get people sick and cause them to miss work or cause the death of their grandfather, you are fucked for years.  They hold grudges like that like a motherfucker.  There are millions of selfish Texas assholes who aren't taking this thing seriously and we know who they are...they aren't poor, obese Hispanics in the RGV that can't skip two weeks of work.  But again, your first few points are certainly huge causes.  

Now, I'd really like to know what the hell is going on in Corpus Christi with all these young kids getting it.  

I live in a largely Hispanic neighborhood. Everyone is great about wearing masks out at the stores and such, but half wear them below their noses, and at the end of the day, particularly on the weekends, they have large backyard gatherings with many visitors who don't live with them, with zero masks and social distancing. Not surprising that my zip code has a ton of cases. 

2 hours ago, B00M said:

The same thing that's happening in Austin but with a larger Hispanic population?

Perhaps more not taking the threat seriously? (last I checked Mexico's federal government was taking it even less seriously than ours)

All of that plus transportation (ie more than one person per vehicle). Almost every work crew rides together.

4 hours ago, B00M said:

It’s not happening in Austin. We have 1.5 times their population and 1/3 less deaths, half the hospitalization and ICU usage. We are also not close to the border. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I live in a largely Hispanic neighborhood. Everyone is great about wearing masks out at the stores and such, but half wear them below their noses, and at the end of the day, particularly on the weekends, they have large backyard gatherings with many visitors who don't live with them, with zero masks and social distancing. Not surprising that my zip code has a ton of cases. 

Fuck you!  Can’t you see Lobo said it’s all whitey’s fault!? 

• Haha 2

We are just staying at the house (private pool with beach access).
Pickup food and eat there. No in dining restaurant or shopping.
Just worried about grocery store and gas stations. Ugh. What a beating this covid shit is.

Why are you worried about that? Fucking wash your hands after you get gas or wear rubber gloves. Everyone in the grocery store has been masked up, even if they aren’t keep your fucking distance from people, wash your hands / use sanitizer. If you are that afraid stay home. There is thread on Padre in the food & travel - FYI

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Depending on what you're looking at (cases or hospitalizations), Dallas County has leveled off...or even slightgly declined some.

i wouldn't be shocked there's some levelling off and declining happening now.  the hospital systems really started ringing the alarm bells right near the end of june, heb requiring masks (i know there's only CMs in dallas) on june 30, etc., so we're about 3 weeks from that.  given lag times from exposure -> hospitalization it'd take about that long for reductions in spreading from people masking up to make it to the hospitalization numbers.  testing would show the numbers earlier but there's a big lag in testing. 

34 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Fuck you!  Can’t you see Lobo said it’s all whitey’s fault!? 

I was just describing some of the communal attitudes of the RGV where a large swarth of my family is from.  How is that me saying this is "Whitey's fault?"  They are different social/familial/neighborhood dynamics down there that could explain why the virus is spreading down there.  Probably part of the reason Nueces County is having such a challenge as well.  

How is that blaming "Whitey"?  

I give the Mexicans a lot of credit.  They are going to blow through this bitch and achieve herd immunity first and the sit back and laugh as the whitey dips their toe on the water. 

It’s cute that you think we will get to herd immunity.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

I give the Mexicans a lot of credit.  They are going to blow through this bitch and achieve herd immunity first and the sit back and laugh as the whitey dips their toe on the water. 

Somebody's gotta mow the yard

Amirite or amirite...rite....rite

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I was just describing some of the communal attitudes of the RGV where a large swarth of my family is from.  How is that me saying this is "Whitey's fault?"  They are different social/familial/neighborhood dynamics down there that could explain why the virus is spreading down there.  Probably part of the reason Nueces County is having such a challenge as well.  

How is that blaming "Whitey"?  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

While the Mexican government has taken this virus about as seriously as we have (which is another national embarrassment, no CR), keep in mind the vast majority of Hispanics in the RGV are not Mexican nationals.  They don't take their public health information directives from Mexico (they distrust the Mexico government more than Whites do, that's why their parents came here in the first place).  Most Hispanics in the RGV are native-born U.S. citizens who take information from doctors very seriously (except when it comes to our diet).  What's more is it's a tighter nit community than most White communities and there is a serious, serious taboo on being the weak-link in the local neighborhood.  If you're the one not taking this seriously and you get people sick and cause them to miss work or cause the death of their grandfather, you are fucked for years.  They hold grudges like that like a motherfucker.  There are millions of selfish Texas assholes who aren't taking this thing seriously and we know who they are...they aren't poor, obese Hispanics in the RGV that can't skip two weeks of work.  But again, your first few points are certainly huge causes.  

Maybe here?  This sounds like you are blaming Brad.  

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

I bolded what you are spot-on correct about.  My mother's entire family is from the RGV.  It's a bit of different Hispanic community than who you'll see in Austin or Houston or Dallas.  Same bloodlines, different mentality though.  It's more of an exception that older generations live in the home of the children who themselves have children in other large Texas cities...but in the Valley everybody lives in blended family situations.  The grandkids are still going out to play with friends (not doing zoom playdates 'n shit) and the kids are going to work still, and they're all bringing it home and giving the virus to abuelita.  It's already happened to some of my mom's cousins.  

Now, I'd really like to know what the hell is going on in Corpus Christi with all these young kids getting it.  

“...except when it comes to our diet...”

That’s gold!  So funny. So true.

Stereotypes do exist for a reason, along with comorbidities...ha!

(no racist)

6 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Damn. Have a trip next Monday to So Padre. House on the beach. Any word over in Cameron County or how So Padre looks?

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

The fuck going on in the Valley?

Just got back from a weekend in Harlingen, went to the island on Saturday. Clayton’s was so dead it was unreal. Didn’t check out Louies cause Louies sucks now. On the beach there was almost no mask usage, but I know all the restaurants & hotel lobbies required them inside. 

Around town in Harlingen I’d have to say 99% of people were masked up. There had to be some non-mask wearers but I didn’t see them. So I really don’t know what’s going on down there. Living in SA & going back to the valley a couple times during all this, the hispanics I’ve seen have been big into mask usage. I know my family is all about it. Lobo is right though, hispanics do tend to live in larger households. If you’re living with someone that’s got it a mask won’t help unless it’s on 24/7.

44 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Maybe here?  This sounds like you are blaming Brad.  

12 million Hispanics in Texas, too.  Deniers and non maskers include millions of Hispanics and blacks in this state too.  We are a large and diverse state with no shortage of selfish, ignorant assholes.  My theory on masks wearers versus non has little to do with race or politics and everything to do with education levels.  

UIL meeting on Monday.

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/high-school-sports/uil-will-meet-monday-to-discuss-state-of-fall-sports-extracurricular-activities/

The University Interscholastic League is expected to meet on Monday to further discuss the plans for fall athletics and extracurricular activities in Texas. The conversations among UIL officials have been happening throughout the summer, yet a concrete plan hasn’t been announced as officials monitor the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Friday, the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS) announced it would push the start of fall sporting events until late September with current conditions of coronavirus in the state.

In a release, TAPPS says players will be allowed to return to practice on Sept. 8. Volleyball and individual sports can start play on Sept. 21. Football and fall soccer is scheduled to begin the week of Sept. 28.

Bama Chick posts all kinds of unsourced shit when it fits her narrative. Just yesterday she posted a video supposedly of a RGV hospital. Turns out the video wasn’t even from the United States.

not saying it isn’t really bad in the valley but I’m going to take her phone screenshots and anonymous tweets with a grain of salt for now.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 7

Some potential good news (in regards to future deaths) is that for the first time in 3-4 days the over 60yo cohort's daily % of cases is below the overall % of cases. Big jump in the 20-29 yo age bracket DoD with 66 new cases (~35% of total daily change). Based on this, I am curious to see if next week there is a spike in 60+ as these younger folks go home and get their parents/grandparents sick.

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/19 vs 7/18 4 16 66 36 28 20 13 7 2 192
% of Daily Change 2.08% 8.33% 34.38% 18.75% 14.58% 10.42% 6.77% 3.65% 1.04%  
% of Total Cases 2.63% 7.66% 27.60% 21.78% 16.54% 11.61% 6.31% 3.35% 2.52% 17,561

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

Bama Chick posts all kinds of unsourced shit when it fits her narrative. Just yesterday she posted a video supposedly of a RGV hospital. Turns out the video wasn’t even from the United States.

not saying it isn’t really bad in the valley but I’m going to take her phone screenshots and anonymous tweets with a grain of salt for now.

i re-posted that and owe a mea culpa. there's enough bad shit/misinformation out there, i apologize for posting bullshit.

i sincerely hope the stuff posted above isn't true. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Some potential good news (in regards to future deaths) is that for the first time in 3-4 days the over 60yo cohort's daily % of cases is below the overall % of cases. Big jump in the 20-29 yo age bracket DoD with 66 new cases (~35% of total daily change). Based on this, I am curious to see if next week there is a spike in 60+ as these younger folks go home and get their parents/grandparents sick.

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/19 vs 7/18 4 16 66 36 28 20 13 7 2 192
% of Daily Change 2.08% 8.33% 34.38% 18.75% 14.58% 10.42% 6.77% 3.65% 1.04%  
% of Total Cases 2.63% 7.66% 27.60% 21.78% 16.54% 11.61% 6.31% 3.35% 2.52% 17,561

I keep seeing this, when the younger folks go home. They are between 20-29. Most should be living outside of their parents house. Why would they constantly be visiting their parents? In my twenties I went to my parents house maybe 4 times a year.

Edited by LebongJames

Just now, LebongJames said:

I keep seeing this when the younger folks go home. They are between 20-29. Most should be living outside of their parents house. Why would they constantly be visiting their parents? In my twenties I went my parents house maybe 4 times a year.

I think a number of folks (I can only speak for where I work) that are 1st time professionals have once their lease expired moved back home, especially if they can work remote.

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

I think a number of folks (I can only speak for where I work) that are 1st time professionals have once their lease expired moved back home, especially if they can work remote.

I could see some of that and probably early twenties aren’t on campus. 

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It’s not happening in Austin. We have 1.5 times their population and 1/3 less deaths, half the hospitalization and ICU usage. We are also not close to the border. 

?? I don't know what point you think I was trying to make. I was simply speculating as to why there's a disparate percentage of Hispanics being hospitalized with Covid, even in Travis County.

But to dig deeper into the rest of your post. 

Hidalgo, Cameron, Starr, Willacy counties: pops of 869k (92.5% hispanic?),  423k (90%?), 65k (96.4%?), 21k (88.5%?) ... Combine for 1.378M people, 1.266M Hispanics. 

Travis County is 1.274M people with (33.6%?) 428k hispanics. Looking at the Travis county covid dashboard, that 33.6% makes up 55% of the current (480) hospitalizations (55% of 480 = 264).  June 1st, Hispanics represented 70% of the hospitalizations. 

Numbers taken from here: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/traviscountytexas,willacycountytexas,starrcountytexas,hidalgocountytexas,cameroncountytexas/PST045219

And here: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/43b91f7147934b0190119781f81aa896

If you tripled Austin's hispanic population to match the RGV's, we might be looking at ~750 Hispanic-occupied hospital beds and ~1000 total hospitalized.

It looks like Hidalgo county alone has 933 covid patients in hospitals. I can't find any hospital data from Cameron. This is of course hand-wavey math, but those #s align reasonably. 

Perhaps much of Austin's Hispanic population enjoys similar socioeconomic status to those in the RGV? 

Socioeconomic status in the US is inextricably linked to race and ethnicity.. Persons of color are disproportionately represented among persons with lower income or less education.. These socioeconomic conditions influence our risk of contracting COVID-19, just as they affect nearly all other health indicators.

http://info.primarycare.hms.harvard.edu/blog/social-conditions-shape-covid

I miss your kung flu updates!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I was swabbed 7/16 In Williamson Co (at mobile testing site)

just got my results  (neg)   third test since this shit started,  each time it has taken longer to get results

curious, are you getting swabbed due to possible contact with known positive or because you have symptoms?

Just now, dcar00 said:

curious, are you getting swabbed due to possible contact with known positive or because you have symptoms?

exposure (possible)......essential job and all......probably should get swabbed more often....but it hurts.  I have had respiratory symptoms in the last 5 months but have always attributed it to allergies (Zyrtec always works)

• Like 1

Son-in-law was positive a couple of weeks back.  He has to have two negative results before going back to work.  Still waiting on second negative result.  I am just glad he is getting paid on his time off.  On a side note, because of contact with SIL and daughter and grand kids, we have been locked down during that time as well.  Wife got tested - negative.  She was running low grade fever and dealing with allergies but didn't want to just assume that's what it was.  We were actually wanting a positive result if her mild allergy symptoms were indeed from Covid-19. 

43 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Son-in-law was positive a couple of weeks back.  He has to have two negative results before going back to work.  Still waiting on second negative result.  I am just glad he is getting paid on his time off.  On a side note, because of contact with SIL and daughter and grand kids, we have been locked down during that time as well.  Wife got tested - negative.  She was running low grade fever and dealing with allergies but didn't want to just assume that's what it was.  We were actually wanting a positive result if her mild allergy symptoms were indeed from Covid-19. 

This was me last month.  Kind of wanted it to be positive as I was over it in a week.  Turned out to be allergies.

Color me shocked.  Pretty sure the companies involved were lobbying their asses off against this.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/nursing-home-investigations/attorney-general-orders-covid-19-data-from-nursing-home-clusters-be-released-to-public/

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s office ruled the Texas Health and Human Services Commission should disclose most of its data on COVID-19 in nursing homes to the public, according to a July 6 ruling.

Paxton’s office rejected most of the arguments the commission made to conceal COVID-19 outbreak data related to nursing homes, according to a news release from the Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas, which has fought for the records. The information that may be released includes the names of specific nursing homes with COVID-19 cases, according to FOIFT and the AG’s ruling.

Simply saying the name and location of nursing homes and long-term care facilities with COVID-19 cases doesn’t qualify as individually-identifiable information, so it should be released, the order said.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/longhorns-to-play-football-season-at-50-stadium-capacity-ut-athletic-director-says/

Texas Longhorns Athletic Director Chris Del Conte anticipates Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium will be filled at 50% capacity for UT football home games in 2020 — as of Monday, July 20.

In a letter to Longhorns football season ticket holders on Monday, Del Conte offered more clarification on the program’s attempt to navigate a football season during a pandemic. Throughout the spring and summer, Del Conte has maintained the athletic department is implementing plans and procedures in order to play a season with fans in the stadium.

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

This was me last month.  Kind of wanted it to be positive as I was over it in a week.  Turned out to be allergies.

Same, but early February.

At this point I'd trade a week of being sick + a few percentage points off my lung volume in exchange for COVID-killing antibodies. But god hasn't offered that no matter how much bourbon I drink.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Same, but early February.

At this point I'd trade a week of being sick + a few percentage points off my lung volume in exchange for COVID-killing antibodies. But god hasn't offered that no matter how much bourbon I drink.

Probably just haven't drank enough yet, tbh

Corpus has been holding pretty steady the last 3 days. Maybe a 5% reduction in new cases compared to a week ago. Tuesday and Wednesday have been the big number days so hopefully we get some good news the next 2 days. Hospitalizations and ICU holding pretty steady. Deaths are ranging from 5-10 a day and unfortunately that number  shows no sign of going down anytime soon just because of the shear number of new cases reported in the last few weeks.

the really good news is that we no longer seem to be going up in any metric.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

145 new cases in Austin today. 4 days in a row with under 300. 5 days ago was 413 new cases. We will see what Tuesday brings but new cases looking really good for almost a week.

Hospitalizations (new admits) with a nice wobble downwards today too. They had been plateaud with almost no movement for about two weeks which was a little annoying and concerning. Hopefully this is the start of the hospitalizations lagging behind the downward trend in cases a bit and following suit. You would think so, unless the demographics have changed drastically in the last 3 weeks or so, which seems mostly unlikely. 

staging7-20.jpg

Some good news for a change. 

mark cuban take notes GIF

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 3

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such