COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Unless you are south Austin’s mom in which case you already sucked all the dicks. 

Well yeah, but not by Tuesday.  

Give a proper lady until Friday to see something thru...fucking savages.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Texas Longhorns Athletic Director Chris Del Conte anticipates Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium will be filled at 50% capacity for UT football home games in 2020

Fans on metal bleachers are just going to slide towards the 50.  Or, if upstairs head for nicer seats downstairs or on a lower row.  Or get under shade.

I keep seeing this, when the younger folks go home. They are between 20-29. Most should be living outside of their parents house. Why would they constantly be visiting their parents? In my twenties I went to my parents house maybe 4 times a year.
People tend to see family over summer holidays like memorial day, the 4th, and labor day. It's still wedding season for stupid people. Plenty of 20-30 year olds are starting to pick up some kind of caretaking role, even if minor. There are plenty of opportunities outside of moving home.

19 hours ago, LebongJames said:

I keep seeing this, when the younger folks go home. They are between 20-29. Most should be living outside of their parents house. Why would they constantly be visiting their parents? In my twenties I went to my parents house maybe 4 times a year.

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:
19 hours ago, LebongJames said:

People tend to see family over summer holidays like memorial day, the 4th, and labor day. It's still wedding season for stupid people. Plenty of 20-30 year olds are starting to pick up some kind of caretaking role, even if minor. There are plenty of opportunities outside of moving home.

It’s not just that. As the younger 20-40 year old age group continues to spread Covid amongst themselves they increase it in the community. Restaurants are a really good example. But it’s also the fact that they have their house parties or just hanging out in groups and then eventually some of them do take it to their parents. Or they just take it to the unlucky older person that happens to help them in Home Depot or HEB or wherever. Or, coming from where I am right now, they are partying their asses off on the beach (which I’m fine with) and then going all over the island afterwards with zero concern about who they run into or where they go or wearing a mask or social distancing (which I’m obviously not fine with). But hey, the bar at the restaurant is open so let’s all go there, pack it in and share shots of tequila. This might not sound too concerning to anyone that doesn’t live at the beach, but consider that all these people come here and then go back home to Austin and San Antonio and Dallas. 

i hate to say it but until that age group starts dying in numbers they aren’t going to take this seriously. Right now they are a huge part of the problem along with the anti mask people. So is the what do we call it now? Latinx? I fucking almost never agree with Lobo and I’m not going to @ him because his couple of posts on this thread were a couple too many, but he is exactly right about this being a huge education and socioeconomic issue. This fall we are going to be proper fucked if school starts back up. The new studies have come back the last few days from South Korea. It’s not good. That should be right around the time that this spike is trending way down and people relax, again., just like Memorial Day. We have the attention spans of 5 year olds.

like a bunch of y’all I’m pissed that we stayed home for almost 6 weeks and have nothing to show for it. We are very, very close to being back to square one only this time covid is far more widespread in Texas than it was in April. I know I trust myself to do the right thing until we get a vaccine or treatment. Do you trust your neighbor for the next 6 months or more?

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

We have the attention spans of 5 year olds.

like a bunch of y’all I’m pissed that we stayed home for almost 6 weeks and have nothing to show for it. We are very, very close to being back to square one only this time covid is far more widespread in Texas than it was in April. I know I trust myself to do the right thing until we get a vaccine or treatment. Do you trust your neighbor for the next 6 months or more?

Just a couple of comments. First, your post was really long. Second, we are not really back to square one. I'm not sure we really had a first outbreak but we definitely had a second one. The third one in September may be pretty bad but after that, I expect pretty smooth sailing until a vaccine comes out early next year.

Edited by Bevo

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat tested negative so her podiatrist could proceed with her surgery today. It was just outpatient foot surgery, but it makes me nervous for any of us to be in any medical facility. Same when I had my retina surgery two months ago.

She’ll be fine. Outpatient facilities screen the hell out of their employees and surgeons etc. they actually enforce tracing better there than most places I’m guessing. Too much money lost if a lot of people get it and they have to close.

It is attached to the Cedar Park Regional Medical Center though.

At least the one I went to was physically separated across the street from St. David’s in Round Rock, and luckily didn’t pick up any take home “extras”.

still a bit “gun shy” of hospitals after the wife & our new born youngest son came home with a staph infection from the old Seton hospital in Austin 47 years ago. Took about a year to get rid of it after the pediatrician made an antibiotic serum for Mrs. Brat to administer with syringes. That staph shit is really bad when it gets in one’s nose.

Here are the day over day cases by age bracket for Travis County. Back to the trend of 4 of the 5 prior days where 60 yo plus age groups are a bigger share of daily cases than their overall share of cases. So while good news that the daily case count is still declining overall (only 143 new cases yesterday) having cases run higher in the 60+ grouping isn't where you'd want them (Stay home Armybrat)

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/20 vs 7/19 1 11 38 29 16 19 12 8 9 143
% of Daily Change 0.70% 7.69% 26.57% 20.28% 11.19% 13.29% 8.39% 5.59% 6.29%  
% of Total Cases 2.61% 7.66% 27.59% 21.76% 16.50% 11.62% 6.33% 3.37% 2.55% 17,704

Just now, stone oak said:

fLaTtEn ThE cUrVe

It's exactly what happened over the course of May. And none of the relevant decision makers have changed their stance or rhetoric about reopening, so it seems rational to anticipate the same decision making process again. Not sure why you feel the need to be so shitty about every thing. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

At least the one I went to was physically separated across the street from St. David’s in Round Rock, and luckily didn’t pick up any take home “extras”.

still a bit “gun shy” of hospitals after the wife & our new born youngest son came home with a staph infection from the old Seton hospital in Austin 47 years ago. Took about a year to get rid of it after the pediatrician made an antibiotic serum for Mrs. Brat to administer with syringes. That staph shit is really bad when it gets in one’s nose.

how was it having a kid at 92?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

OR personnel are rarely in contact with Covid patients and when it happens extreme precautions are taken. You’re as safe at a hospital as about anywhere else as long as you’re not on the Covid floor(s) or in the ER. 

• Like 1

Conroe ISD just changed to online only until September 8th at the earliest. It wouldn’t surprise me if that got extended further until January though. They will likely just make it up as they go along which is frustrating for both parents and employees of CISD.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Not sure why you feel the need to be so shitty about every thing. 

Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you.

• Fuck You 4

Lol, my feelings aren't hurt - you're shit slinging and trying your bestest to derail the thread. Which is funny considering you fancy yourself a thread mallcop, CTJ style.

You're not even reading posts and just attacking people directly. But keep at it, I'm sure you'll work yourself up to another timeout soon enough champ

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Just a couple of comments. First, your post was really long. Second, we are not really back to square one. I'm not sure we really had a first outbreak but we definitely had a second one. The third one in September may be pretty bad but after that, I expect pretty smooth sailing until a vaccine comes out early next year.

"Ma'am, I know the first round of rapists was kinda rough.  And this second round of rape you're enduring right now, well, at least those guys aren't as big and rough, so that's good.  You're surely gonna get raped again in another couple of months, but after that, it should be smooth sailing."

"Oh, thank GOODNESS".....said no woman, ever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

I said we are very, very close to being back to square one meaning bars are closed, beaches are closed to vehicles, etc. We are basically back to stage 1 of reopening and about all that is left is another stay at home order. This is definitely our state’s first outbreak. What’s your optimism for things being good after September? Mid to late fall is when I expect a clusterfuck again.

• Like 2

That article earlier that I posted, that mentioned 85 infants with covid, as somebody said, that was in total since March.

There have only been 60 infants in the Corpus Christi area that have caught covid this month, and only one passed away.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/rare-outbreak-of-covid-19-among-infants-has-south-texas-health-officials-concerned/269-8d2a21f7-8745-4459-8e4d-f6aac7871651

Thankfully it's pretty mild in most little kids.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I said we are very, very close to being back to square one meaning bars are closed, beaches are closed to vehicles, etc. We are basically back to stage 1 of reopening and about all that is left is another stay at home order. This is definitely our state’s first outbreak. What’s your optimism for things being good after September? Mid to late fall is when I expect a clusterfuck again.

It's been fascinating how much the 1918 pandemic's trajectory has mirrored our own. If that trend holds true, the fall/winter is going to be very very very bad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Can't wait for cases to start declining again only for it to be used as justification to reopen schools and spike cases, hospitalizations, and deaths back up again. 

On my jog past Ramsey Park this morning, there were at least half-a-dozen parents standing around the playscape area, and 8-10 kids playing on the equipment.  Not a single mask in sight.  A handful of people were working out in the park, but they seemed to be on their own and not with others.

We have 4 hospitals within close proximity to us.  We have plenty of doctors and nurses living in the neighborhood as a result.  

But there you have it.  

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

On my jog past Ramsey Park this morning, there were at least half-a-dozen parents standing around the playscape area, and 8-10 kids playing on the equipment.  Not a single mask in sight.  A handful of people were working out in the park, but they seemed to be on their own and not with others.

We have 4 hospitals within close proximity to us.  We have plenty of doctors and nurses living in the neighborhood as a result.  

But there you have it.  

I really don’t think that is a big deal. Outside transmission is very low.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I really don’t think that is a big deal. Outside transmission is very low.

I should have made it clear - the parents were near each other.  If you can reach out and touch somebody, you should have a mask on.  Or maybe they are all from the same household.

A couple could have been Karens, they were taking pictures of themselves next to the signs on the equipment proclaiming the playground equipment was closed off due to covid concerns, while their kids were playing on the equipment.

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I should have made it clear - the parents were near each other.  If you can reach out and touch somebody, you should have a mask on.  Or maybe they are all from the same household.

A couple could have been Karens, they were taking pictures of themselves next to the signs on the equipment proclaiming the playground equipment was closed off due to covid concerns, while their kids were playing on the equipment.

Well, closing playground equipment is dumb 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe they’re close enough friends that they’re always around each other without masks anyway? You should’ve walked up and asked them. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Let's gt away from using technical terms such as herd immunity and use logic. A decent number of people had this in the spring. We just went through an outbreak where a large number of people were exposed and infected. When school opens in August and we have a vacation in Sept. and people go back to work, we will have another outbreak that should infect more because of more opportunities for exposure and a slightly different patient population (more children, teenagers and young adults). After that outbreak subsides either through government intervention or because people wise up, there won't be much opportunity for the virus to spread as most of the common vectors such as young kids and dumb people will have already had it. So, the virus may persist because of poor habits but at low levels because of the community immunity.

We are still talking about only a small percentage of the state having been infected right now.  We are nowhere near close to this thing running it's course.  Of all people, the Gov of Mississippi did a really good job of explaining why this isn't feasible.  The number of infections would break our hospitals.

Edited by kevwun

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That’s pretty fucking great news. But let’s not all start sucking each other’s dicks until the Tuesday number hold. 

Would some over the pants rubbing would be okay?  I'm married, so I'll take what I can get.

Healthweather.us (the wifi thermometer guys) is showing big declines in rate of spread for Texas.

Compare June 19th with July 20th

Their calculated Travis County Rt values:

• June 19th - 1.13
  • July 20th - 0.92

Above 1 things go to crap and below 1 it goes away, eventually.

As a recap, Abbot gave support for fines on June 17th, closed bars on June 26th, and issued the statewide mask order on July 2nd.  All of that is working.

There is a way out of this, using Cloth Age technology and spreading out until the vaccine cavalry arrives.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Healthweather.us (the wifi thermometer guys) is showing big declines in rate of spread for Texas.

Compare June 19th with July 20th

Their calculated Travis County Rt values:

• June 19th - 1.13
  • July 20th - 0.92

Above 1 things go to crap and below 1 it goes away, eventually.

As a recap, Abbot gave support for fines on June 17th, closed bars on June 26th, and issued the statewide mask order on July 2nd.  All of that is working.

There is a way out of this, using Cloth Age technology and spreading out until the vaccine cavalry arrives.

I'm not so hot about heavily processed data from a wifi thermometer company lol. Per Texas DHS data, on June 19th there were 3454 new cases and 35 new fatalities due to COVID in Texas, and on July 20th there were 7404 new cases and 62 new fatalities due to COVID in Texas.

The late measures taken by Abbott in June and July after blocking the exact same actions on the local level in April and May are indeed working, because that's what we should have been doing all along.

As I said before, I REALLY hope he changes his thinking and considers more than "the numbers are good right now so let's reopen" when our cases stop growing so severely.

Some data for Travis County, these are looking at things from a cumulative basis from 3/12 through 7/20 (any exception noted)

% of Covid Cases that have resulted in hospitalization: 15.34% (2,758 hosp. admits vs 17,979 cases)

% of Hospital Admits that have died: 7.58% (209 of 2,758)

% of Total Cases that have died: 1.16% (209 of 17,979)

% of Deaths for 60 yo+: 82.27% (this is through 7/18)

% of Cases for 60 yo+: 12.25%

% of Hospitalizations in July Resulting in ICU Avg: 32.7%

% of Hospitalizations In July on Ventilator: 19.47%

• Like 2

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

That article earlier that I posted, that mentioned 85 infants with covid, as somebody said, that was in total since March.

There have only been 60 infants in the Corpus Christi area that have caught covid this month, and only one passed away.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/rare-outbreak-of-covid-19-among-infants-has-south-texas-health-officials-concerned/269-8d2a21f7-8745-4459-8e4d-f6aac7871651

I don’t know if it’s the same infant but the valley reporter from NPR said they aren’t sure cause of death was covid related (infant was covid positive though) and autopsy is going to be done

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

That story didn't sound right from the beginning. I figured it had to be 85 since March and that still seemed like a big number.

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such