COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/texas-ag-ken-paxton-only-school-officials-can-decide-to-keep-schools-closed-not-health-authorities/

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton says that local health authorities can make some rules as schools reopen, but that they don’t have the power to keep schools closed.

In a statement on Tuesday, Paxton issued guidance for the 2020-21 school year, which has led districts statewide with many decisions about when and how to open during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Paxton’s office states that health authorities can address specifics about outbreak of diseases, but that doesn’t include, in his opinion, closing schools for the sole purpose of preventing future infections.

That decision, Paxton says, lies with school officials only.

“Education of our children is an essential Texas value and there is no current statewide order prohibiting any school from opening,” Paxton said. “While local health authorities may possess some authority to close schools in limited circumstances, they may not issue blanket orders closing all schools on a purely preventative basis. That decision rightfully remains with school system leaders.”

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/hhsc-finally-releases-detailed-covid-19-nursing-home-data/

After refusing to release the names of senior facilities with cases of COVID-19 for the past four months, the Texas Health and Human Services Commission has publicly released that data on nursing homes, assisted living facilities and state supported living centers.

HHSC initially said the information was protected by health privacy laws, but a ruling by the Attorney General’s Office on July 6 said the agency should disclose it.

The sought-after data offers perhaps the most comprehensive look at COVID-19 cases in Texas’ long-term care facilities. Nursing homes have been slammed by the virus, and deaths in those facilities have accounted for more than a third of the state’s total fatalities from the virus.

The latest data shows five facilities have had more than 100 resident cases, including 157 residents infected at River City Care Center in San Antonio.

In the Austin area, West Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation Center had 79 resident cases and 22 deaths. Riverside Nursing and Rehabilitation had resident 69 cases and 14 deaths.

Going to see a slight bump in deaths, or rather revised counts.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/27/texas-coronavirus-deaths/

After months of undercounting coronavirus deaths, Texas’ formal tally of COVID-19 fatalities grew by more than 600 on Monday after state health officials changed their method of reporting.

The revised count indicates that more than 12% of the state’s death tally was unreported by state health officials before Monday.

The Texas Department of State Health Services is now counting deaths marked on death certificates as caused by COVID-19. Previously, the state relied on local and regional public health departments to verify and report deaths.

Public health experts have said for months that the state’s official death toll is an undercount. State health officials said Monday that the policy change would improve the accuracy and timeliness of their data.

Texas law requires death certificates to be filed within 10 days.

“This method does not include deaths of people who had COVID-19 but died of an unrelated cause,” the Texas Department of State Health Services said in a news release.

Hispanic Texans are overrepresented in the state's updated fatality count, making up 47% of deaths, according to health officials, while they make up about 40% of the state's population. White Texans account for 35% of deaths while Black Texans make up 14% of deaths. Before Monday, the state's racial and ethnic breakdown of deaths had large gaps, with up to 18% of deaths last month recorded as "unknown."

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

You mean the states that got hit hard with a novel virus first were less capable of taking care of patients than states that got hit later?
Amazing info!

No states that didn't objectively try to kill the poor outright.  It's ok you can still go lick the government's boot even in a daily Texan thread.

Please find me any place in the world that did worse than New York/New Jersey

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1

Niece tested positive for Cv-19 a week ago, asymptomatic.  My S-I-L is trying to schedule follow-up testing to get the "all-clear" for niece, expecting the follow-up to be after the 14 day quarantine.

Doc#1: Quarantine through this Friday,  if no further symptoms, no further testing and resume life as usual

Doc #2- quarantine for two more weeks before retesting

Doc#3- If she is asymptomatic, why did she test to begin with?

Doc#4- Retest this coming Monday, Day 14 of initial quarantine

These are legitimate responses from real docs.   I would have guessed the response from Doc#4 would be the more common theme.   That is who they are going with.

Just sharing the variation in doctors' opinions is pretty staggering. Crazy times...

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

Niece tested positive for Cv-19 a week ago, asymptomatic.  My S-I-L is trying to schedule follow-up testing to get the "all-clear" for niece, expecting the follow-up to be after the 14 day quarantine.

Doc#1: Quarantine through this Friday,  if no further symptoms, no further testing and resume life as usual

Doc #2- quarantine for two more weeks before retesting

Doc#3- If she is asymptomatic, why did she test to begin with?

Doc#4- Retest this coming Monday, Day 14 of initial quarantine

These are legitimate responses from real docs.   I would have guessed the response from Doc#4 would be the more common theme.   That is who they are going with.

Just sharing the variation in doctors' opinions is pretty staggering. Crazy times...

Retesting of an improving or asymptomatic patient is stupid. Although not PC, this is also a legitimate response. I would like doc #2 and 4 to explain their responses.

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It can linger for a long time.

Detectable virus particles can linger for a long time. Some patients will have lasting illness but most residual positive tests are on asymptomatic and non contagious people.

20 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Retesting of an improving or asymptomatic patient is stupid. Although not PC, this is also a legitimate response. I would like doc #2 and 4 to explain their responses.

Genuinely asking:  would it not be important to retest an asymptomatic patient before they reentered the workforce?  If we're concerned about everyone involved, how do they know when they are clear?

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

For reference, I have heard that some of the MLB players who tested positive have taken a month to finally test negative.  It can linger for a long time.

And they said a few days ago that if symptom free after 10 days, no need to retest.
I imagine that may take some time to trickle down to some employers. I know of at least 1 county that I follow that said if you were positive and now 10 days free of symptoms, come see us and I guess they write a get out of jail free card so maybe your employer will let you back in.

Once again, thankful my employers is allowing us to work from the house so I don't have to deal with the disaster that would be waiting for a free test in a long ass line and then waiting days to hear positive or negative, that would probably not be good for me mentally.

3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

No states that didn't objectively try to kill the poor outright.  It's ok you can still go lick the government's boot even in a daily Texan thread.

Please find me any place in the world that did worse than New York/New Jersey

2 weeks! Italy!

I got an email from my PCP’s office this afternoon that they have been chosen to participate in the vaccine trial. They are currently seeking volunteers. I put my name in the hat as interested. We’ll see where it goes, but hopefully I can get the vaccine soon. What the worst that can happen?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

I got an email from my PCP’s office this afternoon that they have been chosen to participate in the vaccine trial. They are currently seeking volunteers. I put my name in the hat as interested. We’ll see where it goes, but hopefully I can get the vaccine soon. What the worst that can happen?

2b26ff3ec34ac0b46340d1290d3c6433.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

You die?  Or get brain chip controlled by bill gates. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Your never never gonna marry?

• Hook 'Em 1

Here are the 7/28 cases vs prior day. Looks like TCAD caught a data error (they added 2 cases day over day to <1 and removed 2 from 1-9). Good distribution otherwise across daily case load. Cases down week over week by ~400 or so (Travis had 603 cases on 7/21) so keep the bars closed.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/28 vs 7/27 2 -2 1 77 66 34 33 16 3 2 232
% of Daily Change 0.86% -0.86% 0.43% 33.19% 28.45% 14.66% 14.22% 6.90% 1.29% 0.86%  
% of Total Cases 0.53% 2.69% 7.69% 27.30% 21.69% 16.30% 11.53% 6.38% 3.29% 2.60%   19,950
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Newdoc said:

We now have consistent data that shows that patients who are 10 days past the start of their symptoms and have improved symptoms along with no fever (without medication) in the last 24 hours of their illness are non-contagious. The prolonged viral shedding hysteria has been overblown since the beginning. This is consistent with the new CDC recommendations. This is consistent with most other RNA viral illness.  The PCR testing picks up viral fragments well below the threshold of contagious viral shedding so it is a poor tool for release to work or school and a huge waste of limited resources not to mention you get your brain stabbed everytime you get a test.

The test does make your eyes water.  I had a minor surgery two weeks ago at Methodist.  Was tested three times (pre op, op and post op).  PCR tests.  I will say this for Methodist, they must have their own lab because I got results back within 12 hours for all three tests.

Also, the hospital wing I was in, the main hospital, was spooky empty.  Felt like Halloween II.

Dallas cases continuing to stay sub 700 which is good.   Would be awesome if we could get that to sub 500 on the reg by end of next week.  But the June/July surge is really starting to be reflected in the 'deaths' department unfortunately with a new record 36 deaths.  Even if a 'data dump' day that's a big number and more in a day than in any of the 5 individual weeks in late May to mid-June leading up to the surge.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure how we're actually track the impact but worth noting this newest health concern. 

Austin City Council members threw support behind communities of color on Wednesday with the approval of a number of proposals aimed at racial equality --- including declaring racism a public health crisis in the city.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200729/austin-city-council-declares-juneteenth-city-holiday-labels-racism-public-health-crisis

7 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not sure how we're actually track the impact but worth noting this newest health concern. 

Austin City Council members threw support behind communities of color on Wednesday with the approval of a number of proposals aimed at racial equality --- including declaring racism a public health crisis in the city.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200729/austin-city-council-declares-juneteenth-city-holiday-labels-racism-public-health-crisis

typical...and hilarious

4 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

It could put a lodge under the skin, and cause a very bad infection.

Can I interest you in buying some sporting goods?

17 hours ago, Newdoc said:

We now have consistent data that shows that patients who are 10 days past the start of their symptoms and have improved symptoms along with no fever (without medication) in the last 24 hours of their illness are non-contagious. The prolonged viral shedding hysteria has been overblown since the beginning. This is consistent with the new CDC recommendations. This is consistent with most other RNA viral illness.  The PCR testing picks up viral fragments well below the threshold of contagious viral shedding so it is a poor tool for release to work or school and a huge waste of limited resources not to mention you get your brain stabbed everytime you get a test.

And it’s explains how I was positive and rounded in 12-15 healthcare facilities the entire end of Feb/early March and we had zero positives until April in any of those places.  I would have been TyphoidMary.  Many of us have said this from the beginning - it’s just hard to filter through all the bullshit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

And it’s explains how I was positive and rounded in 12-15 healthcare facilities the entire end of Feb/early March and we had zero positives until April in any of those places.  I would have been TyphoidMary.  Many of us have said this from the beginning - it’s just hard to filter through all the bullshit.  

So if there is less risk, do you think there are more zombie (asymptomatic) cases wandering around? Damn this virus is weird as hell. 

16 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So if there is less risk, do you think there are more zombie (asymptomatic) cases wandering around? Damn this virus is weird as hell. 

I think there’s a lot of asymptomatic cases walking around.  It’s very difficult to quantify ‘a lot’ though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think there’s a lot of asymptomatic cases walking around.  It’s very difficult to quantify ‘a lot’ though.  

Just asking since where I live mask protocol sucks, people are throwing parties, yet everyday our numbers are going down. I realize testing is a shitshow here, but if you go by the county numbers were are superhumans. 

Thanks for the insight. 

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just asking since where I live mask protocol sucks, people are throwing parties, yet everyday our numbers are going down. I realize testing is a shitshow here, but if you go by the county numbers were are superhumans. 

Thanks for the insight. 

there seems to be a general timeline to how this rolls through a population.

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Agree. So our numbers went from about 100 a day to 40. No slow decrease, just a major drop. 

interesting, with no real mask use and crazy house parties?  masks and other mitigation effots help flatten the curve but once it gets into a population the curve seems to have a rise and fall timeline of 8 weeks or so.  doesn't mean it goes away but it is interesting to me at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such