COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Message Board User - how many online forums do you post at? How do you get paid? By the site, flat rate? How do I get in touch with your employer? I have some social media marketing I want to do. DM me details.

Ask your Mom and put me on ignore then.  

Edited by Message Board User

13 hours ago, Chopper said:

Do you understand that more elderly have died in the US because of government failure, not because it's a feature of the virus? Your assumption is wrong; your conclusion is even more wrong. 

I don't understand. The virus kills the elderly at a higher rate than it kills the young. In most but not all cases, individuals are in control of their own lives. If the individual goes out in public that was his choice, not the government's choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't understand. The virus kills the elderly at a higher rate than it kills the young. In most but not all cases, individuals are in control of their own lives. If the individual goes out in public that was his choice, not the government's choice.

But general safety considerations for the public are determined in large part by the actions of the government. In the 70s there were nationwide smog issues causing health issues, so the federal government created the clean air and clean water acts to address the public health concerns

With respect to COVID-19, we have documentary evidence and proof that the feds have been downplaying this and telling the public a different set of facts than they are getting from their experts in the task force. That's more where people are coming from with blaming the government for so many of the excess deaths

46 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It has killed the elderly at a higher rate in the US; not every country has experienced the same gross imbalance in deaths per age category as the US and even much of western Europe. Most of the elderly it has killed in the US have been in assisted living facilities. Those people don't typically "go out" and neither are they ready to die of other, natural causes. The virus that killed 'em was brought in. That's how virus transmission works. It's highly contagious and can fuck up your life even if you're young and healthy --  if it doesn't kill you. The people who are most vulnerable to the virus besides people who live in a group setting like many elderly are some of the same people who are most important to a functioning society and who can't do their jobs from home, sitting on their ass -- physicians, nurses, grocery store workers, construction workers, food processing plants. Or people who can't afford to socially distance. The list goes on and on. Scientists/physicians don't instantly understand a particular virus or any phenomenon the minute it happens - it takes time and a lot of work, possibly years. But they do know there are easy measures everyone can take in order to avoid both getting the virus and transmitting it to someone else. I understand the restlessness, impatience and wanting to believe a bunch of bullshit conspiracy theories sold by self-promoting hucksters but basic critical thinking skills are really important here. e

edit And in regards to what @Captainant posted while I was writing, there is AFAIK one single place of employment in the US that has the supplies necessary to test everyone on a daily basis. It's not a hospital - they are still FIGHTING simply to get enough PPE because our federal government has failed us.  

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

America, the land of the free and where the "free-est" (in their own minds) are willing to put others' lives at stake and then whine when their favorite restaurant is closed or they have to wait before the their favorite band plays live indoors again, or god forbid they have to wait in line to get in the grocery store. It's amazing how many stupid people there are who don't understand how their negligent, selfish choices impact others. 

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Or, as noted, many of the olds are trapped in “facilities “.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, Captainant said:

With respect to COVID-19, we have documentary evidence and proof that the feds have been downplaying this and telling the public a different set of facts than they are getting from their experts in the task force. That's more where people are coming from with blaming the government for so many of the excess deaths

This is a key point. The federal govt and governors of many states are actively working to hide the true impact of the disease. Their efforts aren't put towards making things safer, their most focused efforts are going toward coming up with strategies to obfuscate the truth and obfuscating their own cynical irresponsibility.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Travis County with 10th day in a row <200 cases with 82 yesterday. I am using sub 200 as the prior run was between 200-300. Five of the ten days have been <100 cases a day. For those of you hoping for fall sports in AISD, the expected number of hospital admits from yesterday's 82 cases would be 12 which while low is not below the 10 required for a 7 day rolling average to get Austin to Stage 2. Big % spike in kids <19 (albeit off small numbers). This actually may serve to reduce the projected hospitalizations down.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 8/31 vs 8/30 2 6 11 20 15 11 5 5 6 1 82
% of Daily Change 2.44% 7.32% 13.41% 24.39% 18.29% 13.41% 6.10% 6.10% 7.32% 1.22%  
% of Total Cases 0.49% 2.96% 8.06% 26.71% 21.52% 16.39% 11.56% 6.62% 3.28% 2.42%   26,516

38 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It has killed the elderly at a higher rate in the US; not every country has experienced the same gross imbalance in deaths per age category as the US and even much of western Europe.

What data are you basing this on? The age-standardized CFR for the US is lower than most major european countries, but you may be referring to some specific comparisons of certain age segments.  I haven't seen a good comprehensive comparison of CFR by age segment by country, but what I have seen puts a number of european countries far ahead of us in age specific CFRs among the elderly. 

Here are some age-standardized CFRs.

m202973ff1.jpg

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hate said:

Didn’t the governor of New York order some infected elderly people to be returned to their assisted care facility or am I misremembering?

Worse, he ordered infected patients who didn’t live in nursing homes to be treated there. Why is that asshole not under indictment for negligent homicide? He gave the order AFTER the CDC communication explaining that old people were the most susceptible.

23 hours ago, Hate said:

Is the virus burning through college campuses really that bad as long as the kids stay on campus? Chances are most of them won’t even know they have and the one who do get sick are most likely the ones that should have stayed remote anyway. I know you have to worry about faculty and support staff, but it seems like they can be protected fairly well with distancing and masks. I could be very wrong about this and admit to such.

That's the way I feel, but I have a friend who says that even one death is too many. Hard to argue with that logic, but I disagree with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

UT has a pretty good dashboard here:

https://coronavirus.utexas.edu/ut-austin-covid-19-dashboard

They are doing "proactive community testing", whatever that means.  Last week they did 678 tests and had one positive.

My son told us yesterday their were over 70 positives at Hardin last week and they are sending girls home.

My son told us yesterday their were over 70 positives at Hardin last week and they are sending girls home.

Should they just isolate them in their rooms for 10 days? That seems like a better deal since they most likely won’t get sick anyway. Of course, I can’t imagine being stuck in a dorm room for 10 days. I’d go crazier.

24 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

Bowie County if anyone is interested. There have been 71 deaths and they have them all listed individually with date, sex, and age. School has been going for about 3 weeks, some have had their first football game.

https://www.ci.texarkana.tx.us/672/Coronavirus-Disease-2019

Very similar to Travis County. Where Travis Co is ~82% of deaths from 60+, Bowie County shows ~84% of deaths from 60+.

niece is a freshman at UNT, in a dorm...

as of Friday 8/28 there were 19 cases (14 that were students), 13 of which had 'direct campus impact', whatever that means. 

i thought that number was pretty low. 

but they've been on campus two weeks as of last Sunday...Friday's numbers will be interesting. 

niece is a freshman at UNT, in a dorm...
as of Friday 8/28 there were 19 cases (14 that were students), 13 of which had 'direct campus impact', whatever that means. 
i thought that number was pretty low. 
but they've been on campus two weeks as of last Sunday...Friday's numbers will be interesting. 

357085f5e6c653a13b278e6efa24de6b.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Bevo said:

Libertarian viewpoints right now crack me up.*

*I was a libertarian at one point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
38 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
Libertarian viewpoints right now crack me up.*

*I was a libertarian at one point.

In what way do they crack you up?

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but they are funny how, I mean funny like they are clowns, They amuse you? They make you laugh, They are here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How are they funny?

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:
He must not like to-go booze from restaurants.  

I fucking love to go booze.

I’m a fan as well.  BYOB works too.  Boozing on patios, in bars...whatever, I’m a fan - it’s one of the few things making 2020 even kind of tolerable.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Another great day for Travis County with 49 cases yesterday. This marks 11 days in a row below the 200-300 "run rate" it had been. Three more days and I am going to "move" the buoyancy rate to 100-200 cases range. This is some positive momentum and here is hoping Labor day doesn't fuck it up. For those of you who give a shit about AISD playing fall sports, new hospital admits were 18 yesterday so well above the needed <10. Couple of days in a row that the <19 cohorts were well above their normal share (albeit on small overall numbers)

Wear masks, wash hands, stay away from the olds.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 9/1 vs 8/31 0 5 12 3 7 12 8 0 2 0 49
% of Daily Change 0.00% 10.20% 24.49% 6.12% 14.29% 24.49% 16.33% 0.00% 4.08% 0.00%  
% of Total Cases 0.49% 2.97% 8.09% 26.67% 21.51% 16.40% 11.57% 6.61% 3.28% 2.42%   26,565
  • Hook 'Em 2

I am 40-49 and am willing to get "Shut Shit Together"   220, 221; Shut, Shit...whatever it takes.  

That bracket still worries me since those are most of the people I come into distant contact with everyday.  We're staying far apart and masking up and never more than 3 of us in a space in the home or building at one time.  But these dipshits are still taking vacations.  

On 8/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, heinhorn said:

I have two nephews at aggy.  Both have Covid now.  Virtually everyone they know has symptoms.  They had rush week last week and there was no social distancing, no masks worn.  1000's of dumb kids partying and going from house to house to house.  They are going to fuck up college football for all of us.  

There's certain things one should never admit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

How absurd they are

It is pretty absurd to think that people have the choice whether to go out in public and have relatives come visit. And that if people have contact with others, it was a choice they made (except in fairly rare situations such as hospitals and nursing homes).

• Hook 'Em 1

Reminds me of the Ebola virus.  Nobody knew anything about the virus except it gave you an overwhelming desire to go to the airport.  

Which leads me back to Covid-19. 

Too many Texans:  "Oh, it's just a bad flu.  Nothing to worry about." 

Rational people:  "So what would you do if you exposed to just a regular flu, not even a bad flu?" 

Too many Texans:  "Wash hands, stay far away from people, only leave the house if necessary, lots of fluids, cough into my sleeve, not go to work or school, maybe a  bag of canned soup from my family."  

Rational people:  "So what would you do during a really bad flu, like a novel coronavirus?"

Too many Texans:  "I'd fucking party in crowded spaces, bro!"  

Edited by Lobo

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such