COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

This 92 year old guy I know got it and is in the hospital, he is cool as hell.  Just last year you would see him the bar still every now and then.  His son is a dumbass and was one posting it’s a conspiracy and it’s just the flu.  On one of his post I said you should be a lot more worried especially for your dad, he said pft...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

This 92 year old guy I know got it and is in the hospital, he is cool as hell.  Just last year you would see him the bar still every now and then.  His son is a dumbass and was one posting it’s a conspiracy and it’s just the flu.  On one of his post I said you should be a lot more worried especially for your dad, he said pft...

For all of my cynicism, I haven't fucked around when it comes to my mom, 82 YO.   I haven't seen her in person since early March.   I drive 90 miles one way every other week and mow her yard.  I bring groceries, set them on the porch, and call her to let them know they are there.  Regardless of my opinion, I'm not taking chances with her health.

She bowls twice a week and if the bowling alleys were open, there is zero chance she wouldn't be there.  She has no underlying conditions and no ongoing health concerns, other than her age in general.  I still don't want her taking the chance.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Naw, like your mom she prefers Lays.  Just a different variety.

Last several posts, I'm thinking of the South Park where Cartman has Kyle about to lick his balls for losing that bet and he warns him his balls are extra vinegary.  And I actually found myself craving Salt & Vinegar Lays chips. And thinking of how South Austin's mom would find my sweaty ass balls full of salt and vinegar right now.  And all I can think is, "What a completely fucked up group of posters we are, glad to have spent part of Father's Day with you gents."  My daughter is making me dinner with her mom right now and I'm in the office making vinegar balls jokes that started with the discussion of two older guy's moms. 

I wonder what our Fathers did on Father's Day?   

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

The other interesting data point to watch over the next few weeks is whether a similar increase in ICU admissions follow hospital admissions.  If not, that would seem to show that we are getting better at treating it, it's less virulent over the summer or fewer 65+ are getting sick (or likely some combo of those factors).  Hopefully that is the case.

Ventilator use only went up a couple of ventilators over the past week in Travis County, while the admissions/ICU went way up.   Don't know if that means it's less deadly, or if they are getting better at keeping people off ventilators.

On a related note, acquaintance who works in hospital administration said they are seeing a lot more covid admissions.  Emphasis on a lot more.  Also seeing a lot more visits to the ER from suspected cases who then need to be tested.

She didn't go into details for obvious reasons, it was more of a "Happy Father's Day, by the way, we are seeing a lot more covid admissions and visits to the ER from people who think they have it, so please wear your masks everywhere, because it's ramping up in Austin."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Iceman said:

where I'm at concerning "my dad" on Father's Day...

tenor.gif

Your dad drank O.E.?  Funny you posted that, a beer that doesn't taste much better than that was Old Style (still popular in Chicago).  I can't remember if it was Father's Day or the anniversary of the day he died that I'd have an Old Style and a Lucky Strike cigarette in his late honor.  Did it for a few years until the one 6-pack of Old Styles my BIL sent me and the lucky strikes I found at a south austin smoke shop both got so disgustingly old, I gave up the tribute.  Alright some shithead will be along to this thread shortly to remind us to get back on topic, but hey, it's Father's Day and we're talking dad's and South Austin's Mom's penchant for ball play.  

And sorry to hear that Napoleon.  RIP.

Edited by Lobo

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Your dad drank O.E.?  Funny you posted that, a beer that doesn't taste much better than that was Old Style (still popular in Chicago).  I can't remember if it was Father's Day or the anniversary of the day he died that I'd have an Old Style and a Lucky Strike cigarette in his late honor.  Did it for a few years until the one 6-pack of Old Styles my BIL sent me and the lucky strikes I found at a south austin smoke shop both got so disgustingly old, I gave up the tribute.  Alright some shithead will be along to this thread shortly to remind us to get back on topic, but hey, it's Father's Day and we're talking dad's and South Austin's Mom's penchant for ball play.  

And sorry to hear that Napoleon.  RIP.

My dad split in Feb of '80, so roughly 40 years ago.

Fuck him.

Yesterday in Travis County was the first day over 400 cases, today is the first over 500.

Sundays are usually low numbers.  The last three Sundays in Travis County:

* June 7: 35 cases  (this was a pretty low day...)
* June 14: 84 cases
* June 21: 506 cases

Yikes...

• Like 1

so is it bad to surmise that we are in pretty good shape from those numbers on the hospitalization chart?

Depends on what your definition of bad is. If you're worried about people thinking you're stupid for not understanding nuance or math, I wouldn't sweat it, slorch. We all already know you're stupid.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Depends on what your definition of bad is. If you're worried about people thinking you're stupid for not understanding nuance or math, I wouldn't sweat it, slorch. We all already know you're stupid.

go fuck yourself Brad.  Gotdam you motherfuckers and your IQ high horse.

10% capacity is hardly taxing the system, especially with a backlog of elective procedures.  ICU is at 20%.

Edited by Iceman

Comparing today's Travis County new cases to new cases for today in various European countries:

1. UK: 1221
2. Travis County, Texas: 506
3. Germany: 359
4. Spain: 334
5. Poland: 311
6. Portugal: 292
7. France: 284
8. Italy: 224 

Wear a mask people, jeez.... 

• Like 2

go fuck yourself Brad.  Gotdam you motherfuckers and your IQ high horse.

10% capacity is hardly taxing the system, especially with a backlog of elective procedures.  ICU is at 20%.

What percentage of capacity do you think an ICU typically runs at? Prior to Covid.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

What percentage of capacity do you think an ICU typically runs at? Prior to Covid.

given your reaction, -5%...

It was a legit question and get all stupid.  just fuck off dude.  You're not concerned with legit diologue.

It's a gotdam shame people who already died can't die again, right?

Edited by Iceman

given your reaction, -5%...

It was a legit question and get all stupid.  just fuck off dude.  You're not concerned with legit diologue.

It's a gotdam shame people who already died can't die again, right?
So that's just covid ICU usage. Total ICU usage looks like this:

dd81d9ad1d61671b40c28d30c2199d79.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I am interested in an actual dialogue. You believe that an uptick from 10 to 20% in covid percentage of ICU capacity is no big deal. You're extremely confident in that. So much so that you'd either have to be an irrationally over-confident moron from a shithole university who trolls the message boards of superior institutions, or you're just stacked with facts and information. So I'm asking you to share that information with us. What percentage capacity do you think the average ICU runs at, pre-Covid?

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

TABC shutting down bars:

KPRC Click2Houston: Houston bar among 12 in Texas to have permit suspended for 30 days by TABC for violating Gov.‘s orders.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/06/21/houston-bar-among-12-in-texas-to-have-permit-suspended-for-30-days-by-tabc-for-violation-of-govs-orders/

So conflicted to be happy with something TABC is doing

Send Kevin Costner & Sean Connery to San Marcos to show them we mean business

14 hours ago, justhookit said:

Spinning this off from the other DT thread, and the 2 CR threads because a lot gets lost in the pissing matches. Heck I can’t keep track because I post in all of those and also end up putting some of my info in the Port A thread.

@Dahobbs @Anastasis @BradInATX @Skipper. I’m not aware of anyone keeping much track of this in Houston but let’s get them here too. I’m sure I am missing some people. Let’s get them here.

i’ll start. Corpus/Nueces County has basically increased their TOTAL covid case count by 35% this week. In ONE WEEK. I’m having a hard time believing it but it’s happening in front of my eyes.  I have an argument and it’s not real strong, but this area just didn’t have many cases prior to early June. I was convinced that we were going to see a bunch of cases after spring break. We saw basically none. It just wasn’t here. Now that it is, and we are bringing it in from everywhere I’m somewhat convinced we are going to see a continued increase until we once again shut down indoor spreading scenarios.

some of y’all know I also spend a bunch of time in Costa Rica, and their curve looks strangely like ours. The common denominator is the re-opening. They didn’t celebrate Memorial Day and they definitely didn’t protest.

here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/costa-rica/

maybe when I am less lazy I’ll post the actual graphics.

Edit-  CR as in Costa Rica, not to be confused with our own surly CR, has been shut down to foreign travel since mid April. They still are. Hell, if you are a citizen and you want to go home right now you have to quarantine 14 days.

6 deaths since whenever you want to start the appearance of Covid in Nueces.  Beaches packed. I'm a lib but in certain cases and places it's just not all that.

10 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Iceman I don't really get your point. You make efforts to keep your Mom from infection. She'd be bowling if she could. 

Yep.  I didn't say she embraced my efforts...  She's something of a reluctant cooperator.

She's 80-fucking-two.    Who's gonna tell her no?

You think Texas is as great as it is because everyone is compliant?

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's a weird thing to be leading Germany in heading into July.  I was also very surprised to see what percentage of new cases this week were under 40 years of ago.  Which will hopefully not translate into quite the bump in hospitalizations, but will just provide a ripple effect on more cases as those "immortal" dipshits keep running around town without a mask.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, that's a weird thing to be leading Germany in heading into July.  I was also very surprised to see what percentage of new cases this week were under 40 years of ago.  Which will hopefully not translate into quite the bump in hospitalizations, but will just provide a ripple effect on more cases as those "immortal" dipshits keep running around town without a mask.  

In Travis, it appears that a bunch were in that 20-29 range. 

Data released Sunday included a breakdown of the Travis County cases by race and ethnicity.

Of those who tested positive for the coronavirus, 59% are Hispanic, according to recent Austin data.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200621/third-day-in-row-of-record-breaking-daily-coronavirus-cases-506

Hard to tell if the ~60% is of new cases or cumulative cases, but I was surprised it was this high.  

Yep.  I didn't say she embraced my efforts...  She's something of a reluctant cooperator.

She's 80-fucking-two.    Who's gonna tell her no?

You think Texas is as great as it is because everyone is compliant?

Are you going to answer my question up thread or continue to duck any genuine attempts to have a conversation, and do nothing but be a useless drive by edgy teenage girl of a poster?
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200621/third-day-in-row-of-record-breaking-daily-coronavirus-cases-506

Hard to tell if the ~60% is of new cases or cumulative cases, but I was surprised it was this high.  

Check the ZIP code map for Travis County, and you'll see which communities this is hitting hardest. West of MoPac = NBD. East of I-35 = Holy shit!

Now, consider the current working conditions for those populations.

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such