COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

12 minutes ago, elfenix said:

dallas salon operator

For those that didn't follow, the Dallas salon operator that called every reporter in town to let them know in advance she was going to open her salon in defiance of the shut down order, had her gofundme set up days in advance as well, then pocketed over half a million from a bunch of idiots.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 9

There are too many unknowns and variables to say definitively one way or another that protests did or did not increase the spread of the virus. The fact that once again people are trying to score political points off this shows you everything that is wrong with political discourse in this country.
For example, the cities that were hit with large protests could have seen a decrease in spread because many non-protestors chose to stay in. Or, if majority of protestors trended young, perhaps those that were infected had minor symptoms and never got a test. Adding further to this, young people are also more likely to do riskier activities like go to a bar. So how could you ever clearly establish a person was infected at a protest or at a bar with friends the following day?
The only thing I've seen that is somewhat definitive of some spread due to protests is HPD noted they saw an increase in infections within their police force after the protests. 
I still think beaches, trails, and parks should be open.
Well police departments are known for their complete honesty so that's all I need to hear really.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

For those that didn't follow, the Dallas salon operator that called every reporter in town to let them know in advance she was going to open her salon in defiance of the shut down order, had her gofundme set up days in advance as well, then pocketed over half a million from a bunch of idiots.

Damn, I’m trying to launch a nonprofit pediatric therapy clinic and I can’t raise anything near what she raised. I guess I need to tap into her demographic 

• Like 1

Stupid.Freaking.People.

Got caught in traffic on 5th St here in Waco and happened to look to my right.  "Wow, that parking lot is packed, what is that"?  It was a Torchys Taco. Packed to the gills and judging what I could see through the window almost 0 masks.  Of course it's difficult to eat while wearing a mask.

We're all gonna die.

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Stupid.Freaking.People.

Got caught in traffic on 5th St here in Waco and happened to look to my right.  "Wow, that parking lot is packed, what is that"?  It was a Torchys Taco. Packed to the gills and judging what I could see through the window almost 0 masks.  Of course it's difficult to eat while wearing a mask.

We're all gonna die.

well thats it...ballgame

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Friend of ours is a chaplain at a hospital in a smaller community in CenTex.  He's had a rough week.  Yesterday, they intubated a 27 yr old.  And a 50 yr old died.  And their unit is stacked full.  And it just keeps piling up.

Wear a mask.  Avoid being around other people in a large crowd, or at a close distance.

What town?

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig. Are people mad that they didn't think of that first?

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2020-07-01/in-austin-where-nearly-all-concerts-are-canceled-vanilla-ice-set-to-perform-friday/

In Austin, Where Nearly All Concerts are Canceled, Vanilla Ice Set to Perform Friday

Relive the Nineties, “When we didn’t have coronavirus!”

BY KEVIN CURTIN, 3:35PM, WED. JUL. 1, 2020

Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order last Friday closing all bars due to an expected surge in COVID-19 cases effectively put an end to those in-person concerts still taking place locally. One notable exception: Vanilla Ice at Emerald Point Bar & Grill on Friday.

vanilla_ice_flyer.jpg
A promotional flyer for Vanilla Ice's July 3 performance at Emerald Point Bar & Grill.

The massive, multi-level marina structure on Lake Travis is categorized as a restaurant because at least 51% of its sales are food and, while Abbott’s order shut down bars, it only reduced restaurant capacity to 50%. A couple other local venues, Stubb’s and the Far Out Lounge, also remain open because of their restaurant designation. According to an interview with Emerald Point general manager Matt Norcia in May, the business maintains a load card for 4,000 people but can scale up to 5,000 when they open the beach area.

The Independence Day Throwback Beach Party promoter, Matt Wade, told Chronicle reporter Rachel Rascoe via text that the show’s capacity will be 2,500. Tickets, selling on Eventbrite, range $25-$300.

Vanilla Ice, aka Dallas native Rob Van Winkle, leans heavily on celebration of Nineties throwback culture in his promotion. An Instagram post from earlier this week showed footage from a packed concert, along with the caption: “I can’t wait to get back to this. The Nineties were the best. We didn’t have coronavirus, or cell phones, or computers.” He goes on to call the era, “The last of the great decades.”

Emerald Point made the news in May when local hard rock cover band LC Rock posted a photo of a dense crowd not wearing masks cheering for them at Emerald Point. At the time, Norcia said the image didn’t represent the actual distancing of the audience. He also noted that the restaurant passed consistent checks from the Fire Marshall as well as the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.

On July 4, fellow Nineties hit-makers Color Me Badd – best known for their single “I Want to Sex You Up” – are scheduled to perform at Emerald Point.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

This is probably a function of the testing policy changes over the last few weeks. APH told everybody who attended protests, without regard to symptom status, to get tests.  After they exhausted their testing capacity, they then revised the guidance such that only people who were symptomatic should get tests. 

Positivity rate goes up based on the fluctuations of APH's public guidance. Maybe that didn't fit in the tweet though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is probably a function of the testing policy changes over the last few weeks. APH told everybody who attended protests, without regard to symptom status, to get tests.  After they exhausted their testing capacity, they then revised the guidance such that only people who were symptomatic should get tests. 

Positivity rate goes up based on the fluctuations of APH's public guidance. Maybe that didn't fit in the tweet though. 

Wait, are you suggesting that messages limited to 280 characters are a poor way of communicating the nuances of public health and safety during a global pandemic?

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 4:36 PM, pearlandhorn said:

I have a pretty bad cold, no fever, just a lot of congestion and sore throat. Was thinking about going to get a test. Went to look at different places that run the testing and it’s a shitshow actually trying to get a test. After reading that you have to sit in your vehicle for 4 hours to get a test, said fuck that and I’ll just ride it out and get the antibody test at my next blood donation. 

after reading stories like this, it really makes me think there are so many people like me who aren’t going to wait in a line for 4 hours to get a test. Numbers are probably 2 or 3 times what is actually reported. Just my thoughts.

Update: currently running a low grade fever around 100 degrees and feel like I’ve been hit by a fucking truck. Nausea comes and goes, chills, major splitting headache, muscle pains, the whole 9 yards.

Going to try and get tested in the morning in Freeport at a clinic. Getting tested is such a shitshow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That was my thought, and I guess scarier numbers with no context make for better messaging heading into the holiday weekend. 

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

So the old lady may have it. Any recommendations on a quick results testing site? Don't want to wait 7 days which seems to be the case.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Where do you live?

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

austin proper.

Do you have a "Nextcare" in or around Austin?  The company has had really good luck with them.

Edited by SHOOTER12

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2020-07-01/in-austin-where-nearly-all-concerts-are-canceled-vanilla-ice-set-to-perform-friday/

In Austin, Where Nearly All Concerts are Canceled, Vanilla Ice Set to Perform Friday

Relive the Nineties, “When we didn’t have coronavirus!”

BY KEVIN CURTIN, 3:35PM, WED. JUL. 1, 2020

Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order last Friday closing all bars due to an expected surge in COVID-19 cases effectively put an end to those in-person concerts still taking place locally. One notable exception: Vanilla Ice at Emerald Point Bar & Grill on Friday.
vanilla_ice_flyer.jpg A promotional flyer for Vanilla Ice's July 3 performance at Emerald Point Bar & Grill.  
The massive, multi-level marina structure on Lake Travis is categorized as a restaurant because at least 51% of its sales are food and, while Abbott’s order shut down bars, it only reduced restaurant capacity to 50%. A couple other local venues, Stubb’s and the Far Out Lounge, also remain open because of their restaurant designation. According to an interview with Emerald Point general manager Matt Norcia in May, the business maintains a load card for 4,000 people but can scale up to 5,000 when they open the beach area.
The Independence Day Throwback Beach Party promoter, Matt Wade, told Chronicle reporter Rachel Rascoe via text that the show’s capacity will be 2,500. Tickets, selling on Eventbrite, range $25-$300.
Vanilla Ice, aka Dallas native Rob Van Winkle, leans heavily on celebration of Nineties throwback culture in his promotion. An Instagram post from earlier this week showed footage from a packed concert, along with the caption: “I can’t wait to get back to this. The Nineties were the best. We didn’t have coronavirus, or cell phones, or computers.” He goes on to call the era, “The last of the great decades.”
Emerald Point made the news in May when local hard rock cover band LC Rock posted a photo of a dense crowd not wearing masks cheering for them at Emerald Point. At the time, Norcia said the image didn’t represent the actual distancing of the audience. He also noted that the restaurant passed consistent checks from the Fire Marshall as well as the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.
On July 4, fellow Nineties hit-makers Color Me Badd – best known for their single “I Want to Sex You Up” – are scheduled to perform at Emerald Point.
Well that's the Sign of the Apocalypse right there.

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

And this 7 day wait between testing and results is a huge problem...and likely leads many symptomatic folks to avoid testing altogether.

This here. We're treating it as if she has it, but would be nice to know before she gets over it or has to go to the ER.

I can't believe we've known about this virus since Jan and it's still a fucking shitshow for testing. But then again, looking a certain color house, it's not fucking surprising at all.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Wait, a bunch of people that went to the protests were told to get tested, they got tested, and we saw a big spike? Am I reading that correctly?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

Wait, a bunch of people that went to the protests were told to get tested, they got tested, and we saw a big spike? Am I reading that correctly?

We saw a big spike amongst hispanics and whites.

So I suppose the connection you're trying to make is a valid one if you believe that black people didn't attend the Black Lives Matter rallies.

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such