COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

17 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

It’s been talked about for a long time. The Valley has some of the highest rates of obesity and diabetes in the country. It isn’t surprising seeing them being hit hard. But I guess the boogeyman immigrant must be the cause. 

If you live in Reynosa, Matamoros, Acuna, Juarez, or Nuevo Laredo, and get the Covid, you can legally cross the border and get treated here.  There is no boogeyman.  It is a fact this is happening.  I think it would be worthwhile to know how many people are getting sick in our border counties.  And how many are foreigners getting sick elsewhere.  Is it ten percent of our border county deaths?  Or fifty?

You apparently don't want to know or don't care.

44 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am not saying we should not be treating them.  But if you have not noticed, there is a lot of talk about outbreaks in border states right now.  And blame being placed on those states.  Texas, Arizona and California cannot do shit about Mexican nationals entering the country and using our healthcare facilities.

I don't believe they should be counted as USA or Texas deaths or hospitalizations.  They should be on Mexico's ledger.  No more than if we shipped all our infected people across the Rio Grande and then reported zero cases, hospitalizations or deaths.

Regardless of your motive for being concerned, I agree with this. If we're going to try to solve this crisis, we need to be making informed, data driven decisions based on good data and methodologies. Counting Mexicans who get sick there and then come to our border hospitals is not really solid footing when trying to figure out what the outbreak looks like in America. 

Do we actually know this is happening? Honestly asking - there's too much bullshit flying around for me to accept this on face value. Is there actually confirmation that we're counting non-US residents? And is the hubbub about counting illegals (who I think probably should count, because they live here), or is it about counting people who legitimately reside and work in Mexico?

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, BradInATX said:

Regardless of your motive for being concerned, I agree with this. If we're going to try to solve this crisis, we need to be making informed, data driven decisions based on good data and methodologies. Counting Mexicans who get sick there and then come to our border hospitals is not really solid footing when trying to figure out what the outbreak looks like in America. 

Do we actually know this is happening? Honestly asking - there's too much bullshit flying around for me to accept this on face value. Is there actually confirmation that we're counting non-US residents? And is the hubbub about counting illegals (who I think probably should count, because they live here), or is it about counting people who legitimately reside and work in Mexico?

I am not saying don't count illegals who live here.  I am saying don't count Mexican residents who just came over for treatment.  I have no idea how many are doing so.  I know it is greater than zero.  We might find out it is only a small percentage of our border county deaths.  Or it could be half of them.  I would like to know.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

I am not saying don't count illegals who live here.  I am saying don't count Mexican residents who just came over for treatment.  I have no idea how many are doing so.  I know it is greater than zero.  We might find out it is only a small percentage of our border county deaths.  Or it could be half of them.  I would like to know.

Yeah, if you (or anyone) digs up some info on it I'd be interested too. I've mostly been focused on Austin.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

It’s greater than zero, for sure, but according to reports which you may or may not believe, the majority of cases coming from Mexico are US citizens.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/health/border-hospitals-coronavirus/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/05/27/coronavirus-mexico-border/?arc404=true

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Interesting map of COVID health risk by county from NYT.

Annotation-2020-07-24-145138.jpg

This is basically a map highlighting rural health disparities.  I’m interested in how they quantified it because it’s basically urban centers are lighter. I have a hard time believing Bexar county has lower Covid risk relative to a lot of the state. Maybe I’m wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It’s greater than zero, for sure, but according to reports which you may or may not believe, the majority of cases coming from Mexico are US citizens.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/05/27/coronavirus-mexico-border/?arc404=true

Retirees enjoying living like 1%ers on their social security checks in San Miguel?

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This is basically a map highlighting rural health disparities.  I’m interested in how they quantified it because it’s basically urban centers are lighter. I have a hard time believing Bexar county has lower Covid risk relative to a lot of the state. Maybe I’m wrong. 

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

colorado is rural and fit.  the rare exception.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Retirees enjoying living like 1%ers on their social security checks in San Miguel?

No one article specifically mentioned hospital workers in California that are us citizens but live in Mexico and go back and forth everyday. It also mentioned a large flow of people coming over to the Us with Mexican patients that are typically sicker than American patients whether it be due to waiting longer to be seen or whatever. 

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The thing that struck me is there are over 250k US citizens living and working there.

My Dad worked in Monterrey 1960-75, and we as a family lived there for a over a year early on. Lots of American expats lived in Colonia del Valle... some for generations. An ITESM summer school roommate of mine from Houston had entended family like that in town.

It was an exciting place to live. Great people.

Edited by Armybrat

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Wonder how many more similar cases could be tied to the spring breakers and the Alabama Covid parties?

Or any other large gathering of young people in close proximity? Curious. 

It’s a very sad story, but it’s one person. Interesting that they’re trying to push this storyline now. There’s always a reason. It’s probably better discussed on other forums, but I don’t feel like wasting my time. 

Anyway, of course the ideal would be to have any elderly relatives isolated, but easier said than done especially for holidays where they’re typically around family. My wife’s grandma just had her 87th birthday. We met for dinner and she visited at our house. If we had said no we aren’t gonna do it, she would’ve said if it’s my time to go I’m ready to go. I’m not staying home for this. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It would still be beneficial to know where they actually caught it. Citizen or not. Contract tracing?

Hispanic case rates are way out of whack in Tarrant County.  To start with 38% of confirmed cases are reported as unknown ethnicity but the way that remaining 62% breaks out is 31% hispanic, 17% white, 11%aa, 2% asian and 1% other.  If you just made the somewhat logical (but maybe a little poor assumption) that you could distribute the unknown in the same fashion it would basically give you a county where ~30% of the population is hispanic having 50% of the confirmed cases be among hispanics.

That ain't good and beyond the notion of less of them doing the type of work that never allowed them to get away as much I also would have to assume that there is something to other activities driving that number because as is discussed ad naseum here there are lots of bar hopping, party going, family gathering vectors (or at least we believe there are) and I would assume the propensity for that would be distributed fairly evenly.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

It’s a very sad story, but it’s one person. Interesting that they’re trying to push this storyline now. There’s always a reason. It’s probably better discussed on other forums, but I don’t feel like wasting my time. 

You're looking for an elaborate theory, when the point is:  A young woman fucked around and went to a party, then met up with her grandparents and infected them.

There's plenty of stories of young people fucking around and finding themselves in the hospital and then showing remorse.  This takes things up a notch and says "hey, not only did she wind up in a hospital, she killed her grandpa."

Yeah, there is something weird going on with Covid in the Hispanic/Mexican population. It's showing in the numbers and I am seeing it anecdotally in the clinic. More infections and higher acuity of illness. There maybe something with ACE2 receptor gene expression. 

And whoever tries to compare CFR between the US and Mexico is comparing apples to oranges. Mexico's testing is not as robust as here. 

And I continue to see 20-30 year old grandchildren side stepping safe hygiene protocols and bringing Covid home to parents and grandparents with comorbidities.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If they are living in Mexico and get sick there, they should count as Mexico cases.  Like Mexicans who live in the USA should and do count as USA cases.  

Just got the call from my dad that his facility just had their first two confirmed COVID cases. Thankfully it wasn't in his wing, but I'm still worried its just a matter of time until he gets it considering what we've seen with nursing homes generally. 

And I still haven't gotten to see my fucking dad since goddamn February. FUCK

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Just got the call from my dad that his facility just had their first two confirmed COVID cases. Thankfully it wasn't in his wing, but I'm still worried its just a matter of time until he gets it considering what we've seen with nursing homes generally. 

And I still haven't gotten to see my fucking dad since goddamn February. FUCK

Sorry to hear that. It must be incredibly tough. 

4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Yeah, there is something weird going on with Covid in the Hispanic/Mexican population. It's showing in the numbers and I am seeing it anecdotally in the clinic. More infections and higher acuity of illness. There maybe something with ACE2 receptor gene expression. 

And whoever tries to compare CFR between the US and Mexico is comparing apples to oranges. Mexico's testing is not as robust as here. 

And I continue to see 20-30 year old grandchildren side stepping safe hygiene protocols and bringing Covid home to parents and grandparents with comorbidities.

This is pretty simple.  Density and service industry drives transmission and cases.  Obesity and diabetes drives bad results.  Venn diagram has Hispanics in the sweet spot.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Hispanic case rates are way out of whack in Tarrant County.  To start with 38% of confirmed cases are reported as unknown ethnicity but the way that remaining 62% breaks out is 31% hispanic, 17% white, 11%aa, 2% asian and 1% other.  If you just made the somewhat logical (but maybe a little poor assumption) that you could distribute the unknown in the same fashion it would basically give you a county where ~30% of the population is hispanic having 50% of the confirmed cases be among hispanics.

That would make it basically identical to Travis so it's not exactly shocking.

Austin has 100% taken a downward trajectory. Tuesday was shitty but 7 out of last 8 days have been below 300 cases. 

With some good news this weekend Travis County area could also drop below 140 in ICU and below 100 on vents.

I haven’t tracked the whole state but also saw Bexar was down 10% in hospitalizations.

The Valley is still in a very bad situation.

Nueces County has more people in ICU than Travis.

Last I heard Harris County was moving in the right direction as well.

Edited by LebongJames
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Man, this has got to start turning for the better.  I haven't been anywhere in the past 4 weeks where there hasnt been 100% mask compliance.  I know that is only my sample size, but I gotta think we are due for some good news soon.

Don't lose hope, man. We're starting to see a downward trajectory of new cases statewide. Unfortunately, deaths lag new cases and are still rising.

https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-coronavirus-cases-map/?_ga=2.245546948.133990625.1595683744-229656830.1582071736

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Man, this has got to start turning for the better.  I haven't been anywhere in the past 4 weeks where there hasnt been 100% mask compliance.  I know that is only my sample size, but I gotta think we are due for some good news soon.

There's a 2-3 week lag on everything with this greeble.

to echo the above, we are seeing case counts decline and those will continue. Unfortunately deaths are going to plateau (hopefully) or continue up for the next week to 10 days.  They won't spike given advances and shared knowledge on treatment but they will continue up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I just simply don't understand how people can't just put a mask on and deal with it and then take it off as soon as you are out. I saw a video of a lady being kicked off a flight-- a first class seat-- because she couldn't begrudgingly put on a mask for a 30 minutes. I don't understand the whole "die on the hill" mentality of anything.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I just simply don't understand how people can't just put a mask on and deal with it and then take it off as soon as you are out. I saw a video of a lady being kicked off a flight-- a first class seat-- because she couldn't begrudgingly put on a mask for a 30 minutes. I don't understand the whole "die on the hill" mentality of anything.

Yeah, with all the shit we are legally required to do to board a commercial flight in this country...and the mask is what pisses some people off?  You voluntarily throw out your magical bomb water, wait 35 minutes to take off your shoes, and pay $9 for a tepid Michelob...but wearing the mask for a few minutes...that's the bride too far?  Mmmkay.  

That such a critical time in this nation's history fell to such below average people is truly appalling.  

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such