COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

1. I’m not close to new here. 

2. I’m not the one with a history of prison rape fantasy postings.

3. This isn’t anything close to a dark corner of the www  

4. It was just a suggestion. 

5. Calendars are for the simple minded.  I can shoot fireworks with the kids and grill just as well on days that aren’t the 4th of this month.

Sorry, didn't realize you take every word anybody posts in your direction at its literal word-for-word meaning.  Was just goofing around.  My bad.  

And are you sure, I was told this was like a deep-web/dark-web site by several influential Russians.  

When this is all over, you and Rex Kramer should get an apartment together. You have literally the same personality.  It'll go super well.  

Edited by Lobo

Covid hospitalizations from Harris county for the last few days look promising.  Fairly steady covid in ICU, covid in hospital, and total patients in ICU.  Total patients in the hospital doesn't really seem to bear much relationship to covid patients in hospital, likely at least partly due to electives being curtailed.  Hopefully we can hold this trend.

Untitled5

Untitled4

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bartles said:

To me this is by far the most notable development we've had up up until the recent flare-ups. I don't see a lot of media reporting on this or even asking questions about it, but there almost has to be greater immunity in the northeast than we would expect. The NJ beaches have been open for six weeks and yet numbers in those counties, along with big cities that flock there, have not jumped up.

I hope this is pertinent to Texas, because regardless of the cause(s), it may give some hope that if you ride this out for a few weeks, but follow up with continued mask-wearing and distancing, you can start to see the other side of this shit.

Again, beaches aren’t the problem. It’s the indoor bars and other indoor stuff which to my knowledge has been extremely restricted in N.J. Why this is debatable at this point is lost on me. Texas beaches have been open, and crowded as fuck, for over 2 months and we didn’t see a spike here until the last few weeks. Memorial Day was the “all clear” and since then mask usage plummeted and a lot of people went back to normal life. Here we are.

on the plus side I just took a drive past the beaches and through town and now not only has everyone been wearing masks indoors the last few days, lots of people even have them on outdoors. It’s not real busy here. The beach closure is having the desired effect of severely reducing the holiday crowd.

Edited by justhookit

It was actually one of the key findings of the paper that Brad posted.
Social distancing and avoidance behaviors among non-protesters as a group increased significantly in counties with protests compared to social distancing practices in counties without protests. 
Yep, and the paper is very up front about saying that they believe there was transmission at the protests.
You made the point earlier that you don't think there was enough runway to see secondary transmission, and that's possible too. But they had to cut it off somewhere, or you end up with other factors influencing the numbers. Unfortunately it's about as good as we're going to be able to do.
I'm still wondering why they did find Phoenix to have much higher spread related to protests than anywhere else. That was their single outlier, and I keep going back to it, but can't make sense of it. And now Arizona is blowing up as bad as or worse than anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Just needs one more picture explaining that if you wear the pants pulled down with your dick hanging out, you still piss on people.

Handle/avatar to comment alignment estimated at about 80%.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

And I don't get these people bitching about their kids can't wear masks.  Sure they can.  Parent them. Unless there is a special needs issue or some other problem, your five year old is capable of wearing a mask. 

Correct. My 2 year old wears one and he’s wild af

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

RE: Beaches

I agree the on-beach activities are very safe. But the act of traveling to/from the beach towns, all the shopping and socialization that goes on (even if outdoors)...it's nowhere near the protest level of outdoor crowding, but I would have expected some impact. Those outdoor patios and boardwalks feature a lot of drinking, hugging and loud talking. It doesn't seem to have blown up in the northeast, looks like it has created a rise in  coastal Texas. Higher immunity levels, I hope.

Highly unlikely.

NJ reopening regulations are outlined here https://www.njtvonline.org/news/uncategorized/new-jerseys-entering-stage-two-whats-opening-when/

Basically they are well over a month behind Texas. Get back to me when they are 3 or 4 weeks into allowing indoor bars to open and restaurants to operate indoors and at near capacity. They still aren’t doing that. Maybe late summer?

6 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Was just on 71 to get some fireworks. Holly shit there are a lot of people on the road 

Fucking I-10 was a madhouse today. And 1093 too. Lots of folks on cell phones and lots of folks driving like mad

Curious to see how much of a shitshow this weekend is gonna be

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I'm still wondering why they did find Phoenix to have much higher spread related to protests than anywhere else. That was their single outlier, and I keep going back to it, but can't make sense of it. And now Arizona is blowing up as bad as or worse than anywhere else.

You've never met anybody from Arizona, have you?

1 hour ago, B00M said:

So... I guess Texas hasn't yet released an app for us to use to auto contact trace? I don't know if apple users need a state app, but I'm fairly sure android users do.

stay home.

You're afraid, remember?

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Hopefully beginning of the leveling off here in SA. 

C0-CEF82-F-9-CBA-43-B4-89-ED-767-AD8220-

Ballgame

Thanks for sharing that GR. What do the new admits look like?

Austin's new admissions are still going up pretty steeply. 71 yesterday which was a new record, and 65 today. 

It's a holiday weekend - hope all of you and your families stay safe and have a good time. Even you, @Iceman. I'll be in the drinking thread.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, B00M said:

So... I guess Texas hasn't yet released an app for us to use to auto contact trace? I don't know if apple users need a state app, but I'm fairly sure android users do.

No they have not and yes they would need a state app.

Apple provided sample code for the app and Google provided a sample server, just had to wire it all together.  Texas said not so fast my friend....

5 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Seems like a good place to ask this question. Due to reasons, my parents decided to get my 91 year grandpa who is currently in a rehab (physical) facility after suffering dehydration. Anyway, my parents decided against putting him in a nursing home. They were planning on driving to New Mexico, spend a couple of days, then drive my grandpa back to San Antonio to live out his final days with them. Well this travel restriction is now stressing my parents out. 

How enforceable is this? How will they know how long my parents were there? They're just trying to get in, get him and some of his things, then head home. Shitty situation all around.

i'm interested in this as well...we're headed to CO the first week in august...hopefully things have cooled down a bit by then, but do wonder if we'll have to go through OK rather than NM. which would suck. i mean, what if you're just passing thru? 

8 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I assume those are the numbers for Travis County ... if not I apologize.  They line up pretty close with the Travis County data.

Look at the numbers for the Asian population.  They represent 7.2% of the Travis County population yet in your table they represent about 1.1% of all cases.  Travis County's website shows the Asian population at around 2% of all cases so far.

Mask wearing in the Asian population is more acceptable and a normal way of dealing with outbreaks.  I would expect that this population has been wearing masks here in Travis County more than the general public.  And their numbers are lower.  I am sure there are other factors at play.

That is good news.  It is some evidence that if we all wear masks, we can dramatically reduce our case counts.

We're always trying to live up to the model minority stereotype. 

If you go into any Asian grocery store it'll be near 100% compliance with masks. 

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i'm interested in this as well...we're headed to CO the first week in august...hopefully things have cooled down a bit by then, but do wonder if we'll have to go through OK rather than NM. which would suck. i mean, what if you're just passing thru? 

I'd just go through NM unless things get completely out of hand here. My friend took his family from Houston to Durango 2 days ago with no issues. I'm assuming your time in NM will be even shorter if you're just trying to cut across the corner through Raton on the way to 25. You can just drive straight through without having to stop in New Mexico. 

38 minutes ago, AngryDragon said:

I'd just go through NM unless things get completely out of hand here. My friend took his family from Houston to Durango 2 days ago with no issues. I'm assuming your time in NM will be even shorter if you're just trying to cut across the corner through Raton on the way to 25. You can just drive straight through without having to stop in New Mexico. 

Skip it all together...go to Dumas then 287 to Stratford, then to Boise City OK   then straight into Colorado

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

This is correct.  Hit I-70 at Limon and go.

What if I like seeing the dormant volcanoes and enjoy driving over the pass? /jk

Regardless of Covid, is that direction faster, slower, or the same? Serious question as I make that drive once a year.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

What if I like seeing the dormant volcanoes and enjoy driving over the pass? /jk

Regardless of Covid, is that direction faster, slower, or the same? Serious question as I make that drive once a year.

I reread the initial post and then realized it was for Durango.  I am so used to heading for Denver, that's why I ended up editing my post out.  For Denver yes, the Limon route is great, it's just less scenic.   For Durango, of course you wouldn't want to go that far north. the shot up to Boise City would indeed help avoid New Mexico if they are truly citing folks for driving through(?)

Edited by Iceman

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

I reread the initial post and then realized it was for Durango.  I am so used to heading for Denver, that's why I ended up editing my post out.  For Denver yes, the Limon route is great, it's just less scenic.   For Durango, of course you wouldn't want to go that far north.

I was reading it the same as you, thinking Denver as the destination. In all honesty, that northeastern New Mexico stretch is a nice break from the monotony of US 87/I-27 from Big Spring up to the Panhandle, except for the slow as fuck speed limit in NM and regardedly elongated hazard zones (or whatever they call them) that stretch for miles into nowhere at even slower speeds.

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such