COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

https://www.statesman.com/news/20201112/as-texas-coronavirus-crisis-intensifies-austin-hospitals-lsquoprepare-for-worstrsquo

Health experts in Travis County are bracing for a potential second surge of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations and, despite preparations, worry that a statewide spike in cases could lead to fewer critical-care beds being available than previously thought.

Because of staffing resources needed in other parts of the state, Escott said health authorities in Travis County have lowered the number of intensive care unit beds they can prepare in case of a potential surge from 350 to 200 beds.

If the trend in cases and hospitalizations persist, Escott said the area could need about 130 additional ICU beds within the next three weeks.

“This, quite frankly, looks very similar to our entry into the first surge. We are at similar numbers today that we were on June 17, June 18, which was about two weeks away from the peak,” Escott said Tuesday.

Robinson said his hospital still has patients who remain hospitalized from the big wave three months ago. His colleagues are also watching what’s happening in El Paso, which has had full hospitals and sent patients to a downtown convention center and to other hospitals in other cities, including Austin. St. David’s has also sent some staff to El Paso to help there, he said.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Well my niece works for a Dermatologist, here in Granbury. That motherfucker came in with full blown symptoms and apparently infected everyone that works there. She said she woke up with a mild fever. Her fiancé works with CHIEF Jr., so all three of them are down at the urgent care facility sitting on the curb outside, waiting to getting tested. I think CHIEF Jr. will test negative since they work outdoors, but fuck that guy.

CHIEF

depending on the scenario and who he is employed by (if he is independent she is out of luck) - but someone should 1 million percent send a letter to higher ups at whoever employs him, be it a health system or derm group.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that guy.

edit: saw you said it was a patient, so cancel that.

Edited by NoName

Welp two straight days with over 30 admits with 33 yesterday. If this continues for say another week I see Austin moving to Stage 4 again which would shut down restaurants/gyms etc. Travis County hasn't had back to back admits days >30 since 8/12 & 8/13. 163 hospitalized is highest since 8/25.

There were 191 cases so I am officially moving my unofficial "buoyancy" range from 0-100 cases/day to 100-200 cases/day as we have for past two weeks run >100 cases/day.

Heavier concentration in the <39 ranges so while that bodes well for deaths, we are admitting people left and right.

Just shitty set up all the way around.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 11/12 vs 11/11 3 6 13 66 44 26 17 8 6 2 191
% of Daily Change 1.57% 3.14% 6.81% 34.55% 23.04% 13.61% 8.90% 4.19% 3.14% 1.05%  
% of Total Cases 0.52% 2.90% 9.66% 27.36% 20.83% 15.60% 11.27% 6.41% 3.22% 2.22%   33,960

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

One woman in El Paso has lost 5 family members to covid.  Damn.

https://www.ktsm.com/news/local-news/texas-woman-loses-5-family-members-to-covid-19/

El Paso had 1,488 new cases today.

That’s really sad. It’s not the only case like that that I’ve heard of and that other person is supposedly just permanently “off” now.  

Had an outbreak in my house, I have the corona. Likely on day 3/4 into the virus. Feel good so far, just stuck here in quarantine though. What's odd is the week before I felt like shit, had no taste or smell, cough, non-stop running nose and got tested one instant and one lab and was negative on both. Sis/Bro-in law have been staying over until their new house is built. He tested positive yesterday after feeling really lethargic. I pretty much knew at that point I had to be positive and bam, came back positive today, this time. No symptoms yet, I hope it stays that way. Sister is positive as well.

Edited by hundredTT

So, is the loss of taste a complete loss of taste or is it more specific?

I recently realized that I lost my taste of salt around 2 months ago. I can barely taste it. Thinking back, I was over-salting dishes frequently when I cooked back then. Since then, I started having my wife taste test my dishes for me. My taste of salt is still greatly diminished. Just had maybe a 1/4 teaspoon of straight salt as a test and I could just barely tell it was salt.

Google now only turns up COVID and I can’t tell if it could’ve been something else.

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I recently realized that I lost my taste of salt around 2 months ago. I can barely taste it. Thinking back, I was over-salting dishes frequently when I cooked back then. Since then, I started having my wife taste test my dishes for me. My taste of salt is still greatly diminished. Just had maybe a 1/4 teaspoon of straight salt as a test and I could just barely tell it was salt.

Google now only turns up COVID and I can’t tell if it could’ve been something else.

Protip, change your search to only return results from 2019 and earlier and you be able to filter out the COVID hits

28 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Weird, the same shit happened to me with cooter.

I am not doing demographic breakdown - was out all day so will do weekend recap Monday morning.

300 new cases on Friday for Travis County!!! It has been since 8/19 since we had a day >300. Just crazy how fast Travis County has come off rails.

177 people in the hospital. (Been since 8/22 when a day was higher than that). 38 new hospital admits. Been since 8/12 that Travis has had 38 admits.

Basically Travis County has transported itself three months back to where we were mid/latter part of August.

Shit people, hold it together. Wear masks, stay distant, don't congregate in large groups etc etc etc

I flat out couldn’t taste or smell anything for a few days. I’d eat something I knew had spice and tasted absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am not doing demographic breakdown - was out all day so will do weekend recap Monday morning.

300 new cases on Friday for Travis County!!! It has been since 8/19 since we had a day >300. Just crazy how fast Travis County has come off rails.

177 people in the hospital. (Been since 8/22 when a day was higher than that). 38 new hospital admits. Been since 8/12 that Travis has had 38 admits.

Basically Travis County has transported itself three months back to where we were mid/latter part of August.

Shit people, hold it together. Wear masks, stay distant, don't congregate in large groups etc etc etc

I came back from a fishing camping trip today and got into town around 2.  I expected traffic to be light but man, was I wrong.  290/360 area and Brodie in Sunset Valley was a shitshow.  People everywhere.

Sorry,.....I've been a guinea pig before and know plenty of people fucked up from "just hold out your arm, and YOU WILL take these shots/pills, etc..."  
As of now, anyone of you can step in and have my vaccine......"Do I hear 2 best buy coupons?"

You really know plenty of people fucked up from experimental vaccines they were forced to take? I think you’re a lying anti vaxxer cunt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

You really know plenty of people fucked up from experimental vaccines they were forced to take? I think you’re a lying anti vaxxer cunt.

stripes lighten GIF

(Probably need to explain the .gif to you also....)

I'm pretty much sure you haven't served in the military, nor heard of the first Gulf War, 1990-1991.

30% (150-250,000, depending on which study you read) of Veterans from that war still experience ailments that are attributed to their time deployed.

Docs and studies still do not have a definitive reason,......could have been the 1000s of oil well fires in Kuwait that were lit off by the Iraqis.Troops had to drive through this and it was literally raining oil.  Depleted uranium rounds used by the armor troops? Why do non-armor personnel that did not have any contact with those rounds have the same symptoms? Different and more lethal pesticides that were used for insects? Shit burning detail with diesel fuel ? Nah, 150,000 troops weren't assigned that duty......

One (actually multiple) thing that was given to the majority of troops, was pills and vaccinations for the possibility of Saddam using chemical warfare against US and coalition troops......below is an excerpt form one of those studies to give you just a bit of what was given. There was no extended timeframe to understand what was being given to young (teens, 20-30 yr olds) HEALTHY combat troops and think about any associated risks. While this is only a small study, there are plenty others to read if you'll take the time from getting your panties in a wad and do some research. This study was done in 2002.

MANHATTAN — Take pyridostigmine bromide pills, mix with several vaccinations received at the same time — including anthrax — many of which contained mercury as a preservative, blend with inaccurate shot records, add a lack of rest, sprinkled with a dash of stressful conditions and you have the recipe for a "significant association" between subsequent declines in subjective health experiences and Gulf War veterans. That's the conclusion in a report released by researchers at Kansas State University.

The research team, led by Walter Schumm, a K-State professor of family studies and human services, studied a random selection of nearly 1,000 reserve component veterans from all branches of the military, who had either been living in Ohio in March 1996 or who had been in Ohio as of August 1990. State officials were concerned over numerous reports of veterans in Ohio being ill with various problems and hired the team of researchers to take an independent look at the problem. In addition to Schumm, the principal investigator, researchers included Earl J. Reppert, M.D., medical director, Lafene Student Health Center; Anthony P. Jurich, Stephan R. Bollman, Farrell J. Webb, and Carlos S. Castelo, all from the department of family studies and human services.

Schumm said veterans were asked about changes in their health from before, during and after the war, as well as at the current time. Among those veterans who reported excellent health before the war, 36 percent who said they received an anthrax vaccination reported poor to fair health in 1996 compared to 18 percent of those who did not report receiving the anthrax vaccination. In contrast, those who were not mobilized and did not receive an anthrax vaccination or pyridostigmine bromide pills reported much lower levels of poor to fair health in 1996 — less than 5 percent.

"What we basically found was that subjective health deteriorated somewhat over time," Schumm said. "As people got older their health declined a little bit. We did find that those who recalled that they did receive an anthrax vaccination during the Gulf War, their health deteriorated about twice as fast as folks in similar circumstances who didn't have a recollection of receiving that shot. "

Schumm said researchers also found that many of the medical records or shot records of the veterans had been falsified or destroyed, making it virtually impossible to use clinical data to assess the impact of vaccinations or the pyridostigmine bromide pills. In addition, many veterans reported taking incorrect dosages of the pyridostigmine bromide pills, most taking too few with some taking far too many. Only 24 percent of those reporting their average daily consumption of pills actually took the recommended three pills a day.

"Without actual medical records, it is very difficult to prove causality," Schumm said. "It would be pretty easy to discount any one study by itself as an anomaly since each of the studies have their own unique limitations, but obtaining the same results across different nationalities and research teams would seem to indicate that something went wrong with the process at that time for at least some of the veterans. Personally, I think the best guess is that the mix of pyridostigmine bromide pills, multiple vaccinations in a brief period of time, and high levels of stress combined to adversely affect the health of individuals with genetic susceptibility to such combinations."

Schumm noted that their research confirms results reported previously by British, Canadian, and other U.S. research teams with respect to vaccinations and pyridostigmine bromide consumption. He is working on a critique of a report recently released by the Institute of Medicine, clearing anthrax vaccine of any connection to health problems. Schumm said that it is possible that the anthrax vaccine as given today may be safe while the product as manufactured and administered during the Gulf War — in combination with all the other factors — was less than optimal with respect to the long term health of recipients.

"I get angry sometimes because you hear on the news that the Gulf War Syndrome symptoms are psychological; it's all in their heads," Schumm said. "I think our research suggests that there is something else going on," Schumm said. "If it was just all just psychological I don't think we'd get these correlations with the exposures like we have. I think our findings are equivalent if not better than other studies done."

Lying, anti vaxxer cunt? 

Nope, born in the 60's. Waaaaaay before any Marys (or is it Karens now?) like yourself ever thought about vaccines and negative side effects. In the 90s, had my daughter get the same ones that I received while growing up.  

A Cunt? .....I got this poster for you, you can hang it in your room. Now go have your mommy make you a sandwich for lunch. Tell her I said Hello. 

jesus-loves-you.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I think there is a large difference between the companies and their inherent transparency/motive/liability in developing experimental vaccines for the general public versus the military 

But yes, the military industrial complex has a long history of using soldiers for experiments with disastrous results. Same can be said for the prison population 

44 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

subjective health experiences

This little statement tells you most of what you need to know along with a non medical, non core science professor performing the study. Yes, the same professor that published a study that having gay parents makes you more likely to be gay.

Don’t fall into the trap of finding questionable research to support a preconceived notion. It’s a classic anti vaxxer, flat earther logical  fallacy mistake.

• Like 1

Damn, 5 year-old lost both parents to covid - one a few months ago, the other last month.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/san-antonio-4-year-old-loses-both-parents-to-covid-19/

Also, AISD is shutting down Austin High for three days, with the kids going remote - they've had an uptick they aren't happy with, and are going to be providing free tests to all staff/students and I think families, to try and get a handle on how many kids actually have it.  If too many kids have it, they'll stay shut down through Thanksgiving.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-high-school-shifts-to-remote-learning-after-steady-rise-in-covid-19-cases/

33 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This little statement tells you most of what you need to know along with a non medical, non core science professor performing the study. Yes, the same professor that published a study that having gay parents makes you more likely to be gay.

Don’t fall into the trap of finding questionable research to support a preconceived notion. It’s a classic anti vaxxer, flat earther logical  fallacy mistake.

Geez, I posted a study to add to post. One of the first ones that I came across.

It was to provide information to someone that I was pretty sure wasn't aware of the Gulf War and the drugs/vaccinations given to troops without any long term studies to back up the administration of the drugs. There are hundreds if not thousands, of other studies regarding these same ailments of troops involved. None of them have positively ID'd the culprit, but that could also be because they the US military (which I am still very fond of) would be admitting fault in giving these drugs that they really weren't sure of.

I haven't fallen into any trap regarding anti-vaxxing or some flat earther BS that you are implying. If you read my original post, you would know it has to do with some of my friends that I served with, guys that could drink until 5am, show up to PT formation at 7, do a 12 mile road march with a full combat load and weapon in under 4 hrs. and then go out the following night and do it all over again. 

Some of these same guys, a year or 2 after coming back from the Gulf, can't even get out of bed in the morning. What do they ALL have in common? They were given drugs to counter effects of possible nerve agent exposure. Drugs that never had the chance or time to be fully tested or studied.

You as well as I, know the FDA doesn't approve any new drug quickly. 6-8 months in and we have a vaccine to help you? It's still a free country for at least a couple more months and I have no problem with you or others going first. What is wrong with that? Heck, I am more than happy to let all the big Pharma and Politicos pushing this take it first and see how it works out for them. Not going to vaccinate 328 million people overnight, I'll gladly give my place in line and take the later version. 

New or updated military aircraft are designated by letters, A, B, C etc. with the latest being farther down the the alphabet. There is still a military saying and practice regarding this......"Never purchase or fly the "A" model....."

• Hook 'Em 1

So 652 cases added Friday-Sunday. Big weekend for Travis County. 187 people in the hospital (most since 8/21) -

32 admits on Sunday - four of last five days have been >30 admits. (Been since 8/7 timeframe since this happened)

We are on edge of turning clock back to not just Mid August as we are currently in, but July which was an absolute shit show.

I can easily see Mayor Adler moving Austin to Stage 4 if we keep running >30 admits/day over next week or so. I could also see AISD running school in person til Thanksgiving break and then shutting it down until 2021.

Ok here are two sets of tables. One for Friday/Saturday & One for Sunday. End of day as I have noted above, not a great weekend for Travis County. We have absolutely reset our Covid clocks to mid-August. Hopefully folks can hold it together in coming weeks over holidays.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 11/14 vs 11/12 0 29 45 160 119 72 61 37 12 9 544
% of Daily Change 0.00% 5.33% 8.27% 29.41% 21.88% 13.24% 11.21% 6.80% 2.21% 1.65%  
% of Total Cases 0.51% 2.94% 9.64% 27.39% 20.84% 15.56% 11.27% 6.42% 3.21% 2.21%   34,504

New Cases 11/15 vs 11/14 0 4 17 34 19 10 13 8 3 0 108
% of Daily Change 0.00% 3.70% 15.74% 31.48% 17.59% 9.26% 12.04% 7.41% 2.78% 0.00%  
% of Total Cases 0.51% 2.94% 9.66% 27.41% 20.83% 15.54% 11.27% 6.42% 3.20% 2.20%   34,612

Dallas is basically back to July levels at this point or will almost certainly be based on trends once data is compiled this week.  Definitely with respect to cases and hospitalizations are starting to increase as well as you would expect.   I'm not going to be surprised at all if schools that are open decide to just shut back down after Thanksgiving the way things are trending.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, CooterBrown said:

I completely lost my sense of taste and smell, but the only thing I could taste was if something was salty or spicy.  

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Dallas is basically back to July levels at this point or will almost certainly be based on trends once data is compiled this week.  Definitely with respect to cases and hospitalizations are starting to increase as well as you would expect.   I'm not going to be surprised at all if schools that are open decide to just shut back down after Thanksgiving the way things are trending.

God I hope not. My son absolutely sucked when forced to do Zoom from home. He is much better off going to class even if he just sits in the classroom and Zooms. And I am pretty sure he is not alone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

God I hope not. My son absolutely sucked when forced to do Zoom from home. He is much better off going to class even if he just sits in the classroom and Zooms. And I am pretty sure he is not alone.

This. My older son can manage the work at home and is ok sans interaction. My younger son is way too easily distracted and his grades have improved dramatically since he has been back at Casis the last month or so.

15 minutes ago, texasdago said:

...and just think, Austin is better than most Texas cities.  We went out to the Zilker Botanical Garden on Saturday and I'd say 75% of the people were walking around in there with masks.  In Houston, I'd put that number closer to 10%.

I'd say 30% in my part of Houston.  I also got in a huge argument with my neighbor who believes the mask/6 ft thing is an "either/or."  As in there's no value to both.   If you have a mask on, get as close as you want.  If no mask, 6 feet away and it's all good.  I've since found 3 or 4 other people who think this.

Here's a new thing I've seen lately - maybe people training for Thanksgiving or something, but lots of folks going out to eat in bigger than normal groups.  Like this - a party of 10-12 show up and sit inside at a restaurant with masks on.  Food comes and they all take off their masks (of course), then eat for 30 minutes or more, talking and interacting.  Then they put those masks back on, talk for a while and all leave.  I don't get that at all.  Does actively chewing prevent spread?