COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

8 hours ago, 3shot said:

I hear you.  Im currently in quarantine myself so no judgment.  Just trying to say, doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong at all or that you have been careless.  Your circumstances don’t even meet the CDC’s standards for having to get tested.  Not that you shouldn’t get tested or quarantine if you feel like you should...I’m just saying, talking to someone on your patio for 5 minutes with masks on isn’t really letting your guard down.  At least in my world.

What I’m trying to say is I think you are being too hard on yourself.  And I hope everything works out for you and your family.  Believe me, I had a lot of these same feelings when I found out I had been near someone that was positive.  I was scared shitless.  Thankfully it appears we are ok, and our exposure was a lot worse than what you described...not trying to get into a dick measuring contest or to be a one-upper, just trying to make you feel better about the situation :).  

I hear you, and perhaps. I have told everyone to just kick it at home or they can come and live here. It has been a week and no one has any symptoms. I know we are still in the window but I believe caution is key to beating this pandemic as well as testing, vaccines, etc. Like I said, beer tastes like beer and not like miller light. Only symptoms I have are the same as when cedar kicks my ass. I can smell the coffee on the stove. I am watching my temp and no change. Perhaps this is just worrying since they both see their parents who are older. I live alone and only see the team on a regular basis. Other than going to HEB (when it is open) I do not venture out except to ride my bike or walk around the neighborhood. 

Fuck COVID. Here is a picture since it was requested. 

IMG_1917.thumb.jpg.60f93a2e8eeca38581dec59f34e4b422.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 3shot said:

It seems like you are the expert, so pardon me for chiming in, but if you were outside and weren’t within 6 ft of your cleaning lady for more than 15 minutes without a mask, I think you are all good, statistically speaking.  What am I missing here?  

spacer.png

Yeah, he was out there as well. Admin was inside but we were all around a table. You are probably right, but I prefer to be cautious with their health. 

Checked in with them a bit ago and all good. Admin did say she preferred to work from here than remain remote. There could be worse things for a single dude than have a smart chick to cook for. 

So Central Texas hit the 50% capacity or less guidelines put out by the state.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/most-local-businesses-must-operate-at-50-occupancy-after-hitting-covid-19-hospitalizations-rate/

Sunday Texas’ Trauma Service Area O, which includes 2.3 million people in the Austin area, reached the COVID-19 hospitalization rate which automatically triggered additional restrictions for the area under state guidelines. 

Under the new restrictions, which went into effect Sunday, businesses and retail establishments in the Austin area must reduce their operations to 50% occupancy. Per state rules, hospitals must also stop elective surgeries must across the area.

Under an order issued by Texas Governor Greg Abbott in October 2020, the 50% occupancy limitations go into effect when more than 15% of overall hospitalizations in any trauma area are COVID-19 hospitalizations for seven consecutive days. Trauma Service Area O, which includes Austin, has exceeded that 15% threshold from January 3 through January 9.

People fucked around and are now going to find out the results of said fucking around.

On Sunday, the Texas Department of State Health Services reports Trauma Service Area O has 18.8% of its total hospitalizations coming from COVID-19 patients. As a result, most venues in the area must now reduce occupancy levels to 50% and hospitals must stop elective surgeries.

Hope you got your wives' plastic surgery in.

We are back to March or April.

The state says these counties kicked in to the 50% restrictions:

• Bastrop
  • Blanco
  • Burnet
  • Caldwell
  • Fayette
  • Hays
  • Llano
  • Travis
  • Williamson

Lee and San Saba have their shit somewhat together, and are able to stay at 75%.

Friend who works at one of the hospitals in our area said her staff was being surveyed, and talk of who would work the convention center.

3 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I will be curious to see what Abbott ultimately decides.  On one hand, he said he’s not closing down business any further and on the other, he has his own order.

He won't do anything, as long as cities/counties don't fully close.  Multiple regions have hit this threshold and are currently in, or coming out of the 50% or less capacity.

He'll keep talking about vaccines everywhere, and just run the clock out - just because we hit that threshold doesn't mean we will stay at the 50% or under for a while.  From what it looks like, we could get out of the woods in a week or two.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

So Central Texas hit the 50% capacity or less guidelines put out by the state.

Trauma region M says “Welcome to the party.” We haven’t been giving a crap for the last several weeks.  And thusly, hospitalization rate running over 30% for several days.

Here are numbers for last two days. (Snow day yesterday shut TC info down). 955 cases over last two days. Fairly even spread age group wise so no real shockers there.  Admits for 10th & 11th were 66 & 54 respectively as noted above a very encouraging sign all things considered.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 1/11 vs 1/9 11 33 97 254 211 144 97 65 27 16 955
% of Daily Change 1.15% 3.46% 10.16% 26.60% 22.09% 15.08% 10.16% 6.81% 2.83% 1.68%  
% of Total Cases 0.55% 3.56% 9.76% 26.74% 20.91% 15.08% 11.42% 6.63% 3.19% 2.17%  
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/covid-19-positivity-rate-among-school-children-outpacing-the-rest-of-the-austin-community/

positivity rates among school-aged children outpacing the general population

Austin-Travis County Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott said the positivity rate among school-aged children is outpacing that of the entire community.

Austin Public Health said after testing 2,560 kids ages 3 through 18 last week, 19.8% of elementary-aged students came back positive, 20.2% of high schoolers came back positive and a record 27.1% of middle schoolers came back positive.

According to the City of Austin/Travis County dashboard, the current positivity rate for the entire area (all ages) is 17.8%.

“It’s going to be more and more difficult for us to control the outbreaks in schools,” Escott said. “If your child can learn virtually, if that is an option for your household, please choose it this week.”

4 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Out of control would be a major improvement in Bexar county right now. I knew one person before December that had it. I now know 15+

Thanks. I have no idea on the perspective for numbers, where they are, where they should be etc. I know like 5 people who have had it in 10 months. These are not tight social circles more friends of friends and groups with ripples that would go 1000 deep if that makes sense. 

12 hours ago, XYZ said:

Texas is divided into 22 trauma service areas (TSAs). Is there a table somewhere with the population of each TSA?

Hovering over each region on this map will show you their populations and other data.

https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-coronavirus-cases-map/#hospitalizations-section

(you'll have to scroll down just a wee bit)

Edited by bolverk
scrolling scrolling scrolling keep that mouse wheel a rolling

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

A city not operating in most efficient manner?? No way. 😀

yeah this is funny.  a snow day for govt people who are at home working on a computer and getting data sent them thru the internet. 

side note: the streets in Austin were either completely dry or just wet like after a rain at 8AM.  

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

yeah this is funny.  a snow day for govt people who are at home working on a computer and getting data sent them thru the internet. 

side note: the streets in Austin were either completely dry or just wet like after a rain at 8AM.  

How about you propose an realistic alternative to the methods of data collection you’re bagging on instead of just being a bitch?   Otherwise you are contributing to the problem.  

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

How about you propose an realistic alternative to the methods of data collection you’re bagging on instead of just being a bitch?   Otherwise you are contributing to the problem.  

how about just drive to work when the streets are dry or work from home like you are doing already and do your job, bitch. snow day...pussies.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Interesting in that we have two "two day" batches in a row. One due to the snow day and one due to a software update. The first batch was 955 cases over two days. The two day batch ending today was 1461 cases. Overage in the 60 to 69 range and 70 to 79 as well. Not good for forward looking deaths.

From an admits perspective there were 117 on 1/12 & 77 today. Current hospitalizations are 607 with there being 185 people in ICU.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 1/13 vs 1/11 14 73 141 312 321 227 178 119 50 26 1461
% of Daily Change 0.96% 5.00% 9.65% 21.36% 21.97% 15.54% 12.18% 8.15% 3.42% 1.78%  
% of Total Cases 0.56% 3.59% 9.76% 26.61% 20.94% 15.09% 11.44% 6.67% 3.19% 2.16%  

Well my sons 'best friend' in 4 year old Pre-K tested positive today after they were in class together Mon/Tues.   It was only a matter of time.  Guess we will test how much it is spreading around kids that age.   It's absolutely everywhere in Dallas right now.

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Well my sons 'best friend' in 4 year old Pre-K tested positive today after they were in class together Mon/Tues.   It was only a matter of time.  Guess we will test how much it is spreading around kids that age.   It's absolutely everywhere in Dallas right now.

We’ve had two separate notices this week. Still no evidence of in class transmission or a breakout from in school transmission. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

We’ve had two separate notices this week. Still no evidence of in class transmission or a breakout from in school transmission. 

Hoping that stays true with us.  I was impressed our Pre-K went entire fall semester without a single known case among kids/staff.   Last week we heard there was a kid in another class that tested positive and we knew several kids were quarantining from family exposure over the break.   And per my post in the vaccine thread found out 17 at my grandmother's assisted living facility (including my grandmother) tested positive so a massive outbreak there right after they were all vaccinated.  Still some speculation the vaccination operation itself was the super spreader event.   But yeah, shit's just crazy in Dallas right now.   Not that we were doing anything regardless but I guess we are officially in quarantine mode for a while since my son was exposed.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Hoping that stays true with us.  I was impressed our Pre-K went entire fall semester without a single known case among kids/staff.   Last week we heard there was a kid in another class that tested positive and we knew several kids were quarantining from family exposure over the break.   And per my post in the vaccine thread found out 17 at my grandmother's assisted living facility (including my grandmother) tested positive so a massive outbreak there right after they were all vaccinated.  Still some speculation the vaccination operation itself was the super spreader event.   But yeah, shit's just crazy in Dallas right now.   Not that we were doing anything regardless but I guess we are officially in quarantine mode for a while since my son was exposed.

Yeah our notices were kids in same class, but not in direct close contact. We had a few notices last semester, with no evidence of in school transmission either. This is middle school though and mask wearing is pretty good overall and very good with my daughter. 

We are back to March or April.
The state says these counties kicked in to the 50% restrictions:
  • Bastrop
  • Blanco
  • Burnet
  • Caldwell
  • Fayette
  • Hays
  • Llano
  • Travis
  • Williamson
Lee and San Saba have their shit somewhat together, and are able to stay at 75%.
Friend who works at one of the hospitals in our area said her staff was being surveyed, and talk of who would work the convention center.

Lol @ San Saba. They just pretend it went through the county in February and they are all good.

Austin announcing it will likely run out of ICU beds...LATER TODAY. 

Not Great, Bob.  

I get the fatigue and the vaccine rollout, and maybe this is just the availability heuristic talking, but I've noticed a marked dropoff lately in people's vigilance in stopping the spread.  More people around Austin not wearing masks, or wearing them all half-ass, people standing too close to one another, etc.  Seems like the calendar flipped and many more people stopped giving a fuck despite the fact we're in the worst phase to date.  

I looked at photos of the TPPF conference this week at AT&T Hotel.  People crowded together in breakout rooms, no masks, sneezing cedar allergies and who knows what else out of their heads.  And I usually park there and walk through the underground hallway to get to Rowling Hall for work.  But I can't go anywhere near that fucking petri dish today, not sure what to do.  

It's impossible we're this stupid.  

Dr. Fauci speaking "at" UT's Dell Medical School right now:

https://dellmed-utexas.zoom.us/w/94543310473?tk=_wPCss8cK8aI8NAAK9ncq20oBiwItxEXj6ZDZNcpORw.DQIAAAAWAzhuiRZuYXE2MTVWUVJidUJSZjVXVHU4Z0JRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA&uuid=WN_GvHFfMPbQG67MGPSFxto-A#success

I really like this guy.  "Here" to receive the Ken Shine award.  One of a thousand he will be given in the coming months before we give him an airport and 37 high schools.  

Jesus. 1108 cases blows the doors off prior record. With a fucking bullet. 103 admissions is not a record but still in Top 3.

Crazy thing is Travis County in spite of 103 admits went DOWN by 6 hospitalized patients. Still a fuckload at 601 but crazy that it declined day over day.

Good news is that the share of cases are lower in the 60 + year old categories. Bad news is this is still a ton of cases. I expect to see 9-11 deaths from today's cases.

New Cases 1/14 vs 1/13 4 77 111 256 257 184 102 57 28 32 1108
% of Daily Change 0.36% 6.95% 10.02% 23.10% 23.19% 16.61% 9.21% 5.14% 2.53% 2.89%  
% of Total Cases 0.56% 3.66% 9.77% 26.54% 20.98% 15.12% 11.40% 6.64% 3.18% 2.17%  

Austin announcing it will likely run out of ICU beds...LATER TODAY. 
Not Great, Bob.  
I get the fatigue and the vaccine rollout, and maybe this is just the availability heuristic talking, but I've noticed a marked dropoff lately in people's vigilance in stopping the spread.  More people around Austin not wearing masks, or wearing them all half-ass, people standing too close to one another, etc.  Seems like the calendar flipped and many more people stopped giving a fuck despite the fact we're in the worst phase to date.  
I looked at photos of the TPPF conference this week at AT&T Hotel.  People crowded together in breakout rooms, no masks, sneezing cedar allergies and who knows what else out of their heads.  And I usually park there and walk through the underground hallway to get to Rowling Hall for work.  But I can't go anywhere near that fucking petri dish today, not sure what to do.  
It's impossible we're this stupid.  

Dude....it was the TPPF conference. Masks are for commies and fags. You knew that was gonna be exactly how that one went down, more than any other one.
  • Hook 'Em 1