COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Ask them why they aren't vaccinated.
"Already having covid" is a reason I've seen, but I'm willing to bet these people you know have some really dumbass reasons.  The anti-vcxx crowd has plenty of "successful" people who have dumbass reasons.  And I know a few who have no problem getting a pneumonia shot, a flu shot, or getting shots when they travel, but they balk at this.
Edit: Here's the thing:  The big clusters popping up are centered around areas with lower vaccination rates.
In my experience the excuses are 1) already had Covid 2) someone their sister's cousin's friend knows had a bad reaction to the vaccine 3) they haven't had time (bullshit) 4) they're conspiracy theorists and think this is some kind of global coordinated plan to depopulate the Earth...or something.

There are also plenty who still, after everything that has happened, believe this whole thing has been overblown and the virus is nothing more than a cold so why would they get a vaccine for it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There are two sides in this. Youre either pro-pandemic or anti-pandemic.

Not getting vaccinated means you are for extending the pandemic (and loss of life), potentially for forever. It also means you dont care who dies, who you infect, and you dont give a fuck about humanity.

It sounds stupid but its really that simple. Trying to justify or rationalize the opposing viewpoint is fucking dumb and you should feel bad if you arent vaccinated. Education aint gonna help shit with these people. 

Only thing that will make antivaxxers change their mind is catching delta and almost dying (or having someone close to them die). Plain and simple. Vax shaming probably wont help, but if you arent vaxxed, you shouldnt be able to eat out, fly, go to a sporting event, etc. with or without a mask. Also, their should be a vax incentive for those who got/get vaxxed. 

$2000 a person and 70% of the population will be vaxxed by August 1st

• Hook 'Em 3

We're like two months removed from Ohio's lottery, right?

How's their uptake?

I'm all for incentivizing people.  I mean, the real incentive with a vaccination is not dying if you catch the virus, but some people feel like true winners if you give them a $100 walmart gift card.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

In my experience the excuses are 1) already had Covid 2) someone their sister's cousin's friend knows had a bad reaction to the vaccine 3) they haven't had time (bullshit) 4) they're conspiracy theorists and think this is some kind of global coordinated plan to depopulate the Earth...or something.

There are also plenty who still, after everything that has happened, believe this whole thing has been overblown and the virus is nothing more than a cold so why would they get a vaccine for it.

I had Covid, so I didn't rush out to get the vaccine...once it was plentiful enough that I wasn't going to take a shot from somebody that needed it more I got stabbed.  But I'm less concerned about people that had it not getting vaxed (even though they should).  There is good data that mRNA antibodies are "better" than natural antibodies, but if it doesn't show up in reinfection rate vs vaccinated infection, I'm not sure it matters that much.

The remaining problem isn't really those folks, it's the ones that haven't had it and won't get the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 2

I had Covid, so I didn't rush out to get the vaccine...once it was plentiful enough that I wasn't going to take a shot from somebody that needed it more I got stabbed.  But I'm less concerned about people that had it not getting vaxed (even though they should).  There is good data that mRNA antibodies are "better" than natural antibodies, but if it doesn't show up in reinfection rate vs vaccinated infection, I'm not sure it matters that much.
The remaining problem isn't really those folks, it's the ones that haven't had it and won't get the vaccine.
I agree. Just listing the reasons given from the people I know who aren't vaxxed.

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm surprised it isn't dying down. What are vaccination rates for the US? I assumed the immunization rate (vaccinations and natural immunity) were extremely high.

Keep in mind that some med folks say one dose is very minimal protection from Delta.  2/3 of adults have received 1 dose, but less than 60% have received 2, which is less than half of the total population. 

From Johns-Hopkins:

A total of 183 million individuals in the US have received at least 1 dose, equivalent to 55.2% of the entire US population. Among adults, 67.3% have received at least 1 dose as well as 9.4 million adolescents aged 12-17. A total of 158 million individuals are fully vaccinated, which corresponds to 47.7% of the total population. Among adults, 58.5% are fully vaccinated, and 7.2 million adolescents aged 12-17 years are fully vaccinated.

It's in their July 9 COVID Situation Report, which I got in an email but for some reason isn't on their site yet.  The July 2 report has similar, but slightly lower, numbers:

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/resources/COVID-19/COVID-19-SituationReports.html

The real questions are the protection from Delta afforded by previous infection with another variant, and the overlap in infection and vaccination.  That will tell you the real number of people who have fairly robust protection.  Trevor Bedford has a nice thread about that on his Twitter feed:

Bottom line - his extremely rough calc is 11% of the US pop infected with Delta (relatively huge but includes asymptomatic and minor symptomatic), but clustered in places where vaccination rates are low.

• Like 1

Some good "proof" that vaccines are helping reduce severity (IMO) can be seen in the mortality data over the past couple of weeks.

From June 24 to July 9th there have only been 6 deaths in Travis County.

Since June 3rd TC has had 17 deaths overall from CV19

Month of May was 28

April 30

March 69

So we are seeing a good decline in deaths as vaccination rates are increasing. Ideally with people being vaccinated even with the rise of Delta variant severity will be still stay low and while some folks may get hospitalized they won't die.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yea the end game for now is a disease people still get but doesn’t kill them.

For those who say it can’t be eradicated. I say maybe not short term but long term it could be like others have been. That said if we get to the point that this is almost always “hey Bob where ya been the last few days?” “Oh was sick with Covid” and that’s the extent of it then much like the cold/flu etc there will not be the will ($$$) to fully put it down.

Also vaccines are one thing. A big game changer would also be a tried and true readily accessible treatment.

I really don’t give a shit if people get sick for a few days with Covid if they are not getting hospitalized/suffering long term effects/dying from it.

Not there yet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Also vaccines are one thing. A big game changer would also be a tried and true readily accessible treatment.

I'm going to start telling my qanon relatives that because not enough people are getting vaccinated, the government is going to put the vaccine in the water supplies, and is contracting with Coca Cola for their bottled waters (Topo Chico and Dasani).

I don't know what is more shocking here:

The other COVID patient, a 46-year-old man, died at Rambam Hospital in Haifa. He was fully vaccinated against the virus. His wife, who is 70-year-old, is also hospitalized in a moderate condition after catching the virus.

Got a rapid Covid test today.  Wasn't feeling great the last couple days. Had some of the symptoms but didn't lose taste.  More like a common cold. 

However, we are headed down to Bolivar tomorrow so I didn't want to take any chances because we're gonna be around grandparent and young kids. Everyone who is eligible to be vaxxed is but the kids aren't.  

Came back negative.  They gave me a steroid shot for my symptoms.  Feel a ton better now.  Imo life is about reducing unforced errors.

TL;dr guy went to the doctor for a cold.  

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Got a rapid Covid test today.  Wasn't feeling great the last couple days. Had some of the symptoms but didn't lose taste.  More like a common cold. 

However, we are headed down to Bolivar tomorrow so I didn't want to take any chances because we're gonna be around grandparent and young kids. Everyone who is eligible to be vaxxed is but the kids aren't.  

Came back negative.  They gave me a steroid shot for my symptoms.  Feel a ton better now.  Imo life is about reducing unforced errors.

TL;dr guy went to the doctor for a cold.  

Could be RSV too, if it makes you feel better.

Not seeing huge spike in cases in Travis County but admits and hospitalizations are starting to run a little hot.

Since 7/8 Travis County has had 157 cases, there are currently 115 hospitalized and there were 27 admits today.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/12 vs 7/8 3 8 17 41 32 29 20 4 2 1 157
% of Daily Change 1.91% 5.10% 10.83% 26.11% 20.38% 18.47% 12.74% 2.55% 1.27% 0.64%  
% of Total Cases 0.63% 4.31% 10.57% 26.00% 20.65% 14.86% 11.21% 6.55% 3.17% 2.06%  

9 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Not seeing huge spike in cases in Travis County but admits and hospitalizations are starting to run a little hot.

Since 7/8 Travis County has had 157 cases, there are currently 115 hospitalized and there were 27 admits today.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/12 vs 7/8 3 8 17 41 32 29 20 4 2 1 157
% of Daily Change 1.91% 5.10% 10.83% 26.11% 20.38% 18.47% 12.74% 2.55% 1.27% 0.64%  
% of Total Cases 0.63% 4.31% 10.57% 26.00% 20.65% 14.86% 11.21% 6.55% 3.17% 2.06%  

I guess that’s still the outlying areas (with lower vaccination rates) sending their sick into Austin, so we get hospitalizations without cases.

13 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I guess that’s still the outlying areas (with lower vaccination rates) sending their sick into Austin, so we get hospitalizations without cases.

I know of 2 people from Hays County that were admitted to Seton Main in Austin.  Elderly gentlemen, who was vaccinated, passed away this last Friday.  A woman, 60s or 70s, is in ICU.  From what I understand, she was not vaccinated.

Dr. Walkes reported Tuesday that 333 people have caught the virus in Travis County after being fully vaccinated. Only 14 of those people had been hospitalized. Three people who had been fully vaccinated died of COVID-19, she said.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/travis-county-sees-spike-in-covid-19-cases-hospitalizations-after-holiday-weekend/

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, drt said:

I had a nice 100.5 degree fever this morning and felt like I got hit by a truck.  Pondering if I should go get tested, I had Moderna and had pretty much the same symptoms after the 2nd shot.

Get tested. Won’t hurt. My symptoms made me feel like I was withdrawing from my anxiety meds. 

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

This is why I've started wearing a facemask again in big grocery stores. Vaccine doesn't make you immune - just able to fight it off effectively. And there's still a pretty considerable mass of people left to incubate COVID and let it mutate

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Deej said:

~680k people fully vaccinated in Travis county.  So 0.048% of fully vaccinated individuals have had a Cov2 positive test, 0.0021% were hospitalized, and 0.00044% died. 

Compare to Travis country over course of pandemic to date @ 85k cases and 887 deaths. Using full pop @ 1.2MM, that's 7% of the county +, 0.074% died if my math is right.

Have you tried having your kid west a mask while at daycare?

Is that an attempt at humor because I said my oldest daughter wore a mask at piano lessons? Which turned out to be a good idea because two weeks in her teacher tested positive for Covid after she had lessons earlier in the week. Her teacher who also happened to be fully vaccinated and caught it from her granddaughter.
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cases highest since May 22nd

A combination of summer travel in full swing and the masses are unmasking. 

I hope an overwhelming majority of the cases are either (1) people who haven't been vaccinated (either the dipshits who are eligible but refuse or kids under 12 who aren't eligible), or (2) asymptomatic people who have been vaccinated.  In other words, it would be somewhat comforting to know that by and large vaccinated people aren't getting sick, at least not the point of requiring hospitalization.  But I don't see anywhere where that data is being broken down.

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hotez said 30% of kids who get Rona will be long-haulers. Not sure I believe that (or know how he is coming up with those numbers)…. but damn

That is clickbait. There is zero basis in fact for that statement. This is the worst of CV19 for me. The "fame seekers" that put out incendiary claims to get on TV/in the news.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

202 cases in Travis County yesterday. There is always a true up on Tuesdays from the weekend dump but this is still moving in wrong direction. Encouraging thing is cases skew younger which bodes well in terms of severe hospitalizations/death. There are now 124 people hospitalized.

Cases 7/13 vs 7/12 1 13 18 59 41 29 23 12 6 0 202
% of Daily Change 0.50% 6.44% 8.91% 29.21% 20.30% 14.36% 11.39% 5.94% 2.97% 0.00%  

On 7/13/2021 at 8:24 AM, EE2B said:

Yup, that shit is everywhere. Between that and hand foot and mouth, daycare has been a damn good time.

Yep.  RSV is something awful right now.   We had to come to McLane Children’s in Temple last Thursday for my 9 mo old daughter to have another surgery on her esophagus.  As of that day, between PICU and regular rooms, something like 62 of 68 beds were kids in with RSV, pneumonia, bronchitis combo.   They put us in a room away from everyone and so far we haven’t gotten sick.  Thank God we’re getting out of this mofo today.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I've never even heard of RSV and I have two kids (now 11 and 13).  I had to look it up.  That seems a little alarming that it's surging right now.

Hope your daughter recovers quickly and fully from her esophageal surgery.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hotez said 30% of kids who get Rona will be long-haulers. Not sure I believe that (or know how he is coming up with those numbers)…. but damn

Of course it would be you to post this nonsense.

Do you have kids? If you’re of that age and have a family you know several kids that have had Covid. And you would know that almost all of them had symptoms for maybe a day. Then nada.

Dont be such a dumbass. 

Please everyone here post if you know any kids that are long haulers. I saw an estimate that 40% have already had it. My house is at 50%. Lol.

RSV, strep, flu all much worse. Even atypical “walking pneumonia”. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

56 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've never even heard of RSV and I have two kids (now 11 and 13).  I had to look it up.  That seems a little alarming that it's surging right now.

Hope your daughter recovers quickly and fully from her esophageal surgery.

My twins got RSV at 7 months. What a miserable 2 weeks that was, including a late night trip to Texas children’s in Houston where I got the pleasure of holding them down with a bedsheet while they aspirated their lungs. Or maybe that was rhinovirus. Either way it was as nightmarish as could be for a flu-like virus.