COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hotez said 30% of kids who get Rona will be long-haulers. Not sure I believe that (or know how he is coming up with those numbers)…. but damn

This kind of fear mongering BS from "experts" like Hotez who's sole goal in life since the beginning of COVID is to get on TV as much as possible is exactly why we have an anti-vax problem.

The vax threads on Nextdoor would be more entertaining if they weren't so rage inducing. So much blatant, easily verifiably false information being spread as facts. Always followed by anecdotal evidence and pleas to 'do your research.' People don't even know what research is anymore.

Was talking to a family member earlier who is vaxxed, but is also pretty hardcore conservative. I was bitching about how much false information is spread via social media. They agreed, but followed with 'it's just hard to know what is and isn't true anymore'. Well...sometimes, but if you just use your brain you can filter out a good majority of the bullshit without even having to do any research at all.

• Like 1

The zip code is 58% Hispanic, 19% white, 12% African-American. 

16% of the households live below the poverty line. 

They have had yard signs up and down the streets, in Spanish, encouraging people to get vaxxed, but there seems to be a lot of hesitancy. 

It’s over 58% Hispanic. I guess everyone’s sarcasm meter was broken when I suggested it was a “muh freedoms” populace lagging. At this point I don’t think access to vaccines is an issue. I guess we just have to try to mock them into compliance at every chance. It’s time to up your mocking game, Surly, or at the very least redirect it for a spell.

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

The zip code is 58% Hispanic, 19% white, 12% African-American. 

16% of the households live below the poverty line. 

They have had yard signs up and down the streets, in Spanish, encouraging people to get vaxxed, but there seems to be a lot of hesitancy. 

It's called "being poor and can't take off work if they get side effects".

• Hook 'Em 1

128 cases in Travis County today. 137 hospitalized with 29 admits. Admit ratio is still so wonky and has to be driven by folks coming in from outside of Travis County

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/14 vs 7/13 1 5 16 30 36 12 9 8 7 4 128
% of Daily Change 0.78% 3.91% 12.50% 23.44% 28.13% 9.38% 7.03% 6.25% 5.47% 3.13%  
% of Total Cases 0.63% 4.31% 10.57% 26.00% 20.66% 14.85% 11.20% 6.55% 3.17% 2.06%  
  • Hook 'Em 1

Because they've got awesome chicken, I was at the Rundberg HEB last week and I'd guess 75% of the shoppers were still wearing masks.

I guess it's because none of them are vaccinated, which would follow the trend for that zip code.

19 minutes ago, smoky said:

Because they've got awesome chicken, I was at the Rundberg HEB last week and I'd guess 75% of the shoppers were still wearing masks.

I guess it's because none of them are vaccinated, which would follow the trend for that zip code.

Masks are coming back at my Central Market and HEB, which I tend to view as an area of Austin in which more folks have been vaccinated. 

Welp - I will say if this moving back to Stage 3 shit in Travis County because all these unvaxxed mofos makes AISD go back to "Zoom School" this fall I will fucking come unglued.

173 cases in Travis County today, 152 people hospitalized and 25 admits.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/15 vs 7/14 1 11 23 39 39 29 14 8 7 2 173
% of Daily Change 0.58% 6.36% 13.29% 22.54% 22.54% 16.76% 8.09% 4.62% 4.05% 1.16%  
% of Total Cases 0.63% 4.31% 10.58% 25.99% 20.66% 14.86% 11.19% 6.54% 3.17% 2.06%  
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Welp - I will say if this moving back to Stage 3 shit in Travis County because all these unvaxxed mofos makes AISD go back to "Zoom School" this fall I will fucking come unglued.

173 cases in Travis County today, 152 people hospitalized and 25 admits.

Cases 7/15 vs 7/14 1 11 23 39 39 29 14 8 7 2 173
% of Daily Change 0.58% 6.36% 13.29% 22.54% 22.54% 16.76% 8.09% 4.62% 4.05% 1.16%  
% of Total Cases 0.63% 4.31% 10.58% 25.99% 20.66% 14.86% 11.19% 6.54% 3.17% 2.06%  

We are starting school as normal. It would take insanely bad numbers to change that. Currently virtual is not funded by the state and requiring masks is prohibited. Almost no chance Abbott retreats from that stance. The superintendent is also all about a normal start to the year and isn’t really thrilled with how last year went down. It was her first year so she didn’t have a lot of leverage.

7 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

We are starting school as normal. It would take insanely bad numbers to change that. Currently virtual is not funded by the state and requiring masks is prohibited. Almost no chance Abbott retreats from that stance. The superintendent is also all about a normal start to the year and isn’t really thrilled with how last year went down. It was her first year so she didn’t have a lot of leverage.

The timing of projected delta is going to be a real bitch in terms of its sync with back to school. 

19 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

No possibility of mask mandates for schools could push them virtual quicker, either to start with or when cases get out of control. 

6 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I hope she stays course. Between defunding PTA and how AISD handled CV19 last year I know a ton of folks who bailed for private. 

Just shitty timing for a resurgence in cases. 

20 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Still not seeing second infections at a significant rate which is odd since supposedly the vaccine gives better immunity.  Just anecdotal experience but our outpatient trends tend to preceded and reflect the official numbers.

So far it seems like the vaccine gives a stronger biological response, but it doesn't (yet) seem like that translates into much difference in reinfection vs vaccine breakthrough.  Best guess is that higher measureables isn't predictive, but I don't know why.  It smells a little bit like how we thought of surface transmission in the early days before we knew how strongly viral load tied to infection.

Disclaimer: I'm an engineer that likes data but no medical background.

Daily new positive averages (by week) for the Houston-area as of last weekend. The growth from the previous week is the highest percentage in over a year. Hopefully this reverses itself somewhat next week.

Brazoria, Chambers, Galveston and Montgomery counties are getting worse. Some of them are having days of over 100 positive cases. 

TMC-COVID-19-Monitoring-Metrics-7-12-202

The numbers look bad.  But if the rising cases requiring hospitalization continue to be the unvaccinated folks -- which is what we hear from anecdotal evidence -- I don't think much of our life will change (i.e., no shutting down or reducing capacity of restaurants or businesses, no switch to remote learning, etc.).  We'll continue with the "they knew what they were getting in to, I say let 'em crash" philosophy. 

I know the counterpoint is that the rising cases in unvaccinated people allows the virus to continue spreading and mutating, so we'll never get out of this pandemic if we don't go back to some of the 2020 measures.  But that won't persuade a lot of states, including Texas. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The numbers look bad.  But if the rising cases requiring hospitalization continue to be the unvaccinated folks -- which is what we hear from anecdotal evidence -- I don't think much of our life will change (i.e., no shutting down or reducing capacity of restaurants or businesses, no switch to remote learning, etc.).  We'll continue with the "they knew what they were getting in to, I say let 'em crash" philosophy. 

I know the counterpoint is that the rising cases in unvaccinated people allows the virus to continue spreading and mutating, so we'll never get out of this pandemic if we don't go back to some of the 2020 measures.  But that won't persuade a lot of states, including Texas. 

I don't think it really matters.  There are going to be places all over the world that never get to the percent of population vaccinated that the USA had months ago.  So the virus is going to mutate and spread on this planet.  And because the world is so interconnected any new variant is going to come here anyway.

We cannot lock down for this shit again.  Let people who refuse to vaccinate take their medicine.  Most are probably on the younger side and their risk of death and hospitalization is low anyway.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't think it really matters.  There are going to be places all over the world that never get to the percent of population vaccinated that the USA had months ago.  So the virus is going to mutate and spread on this planet.  And because the world is so interconnected any new variant is going to come here anyway.

We cannot lock down for this shit again.  Let people who refuse to vaccinate take their medicine.  Most are probably on the younger side and their risk of death and hospitalization is low anyway.

I agree with this almost completely.  Only thing I'd disagree with is that the "refuse to vaccinate" crowd skews younger, my anecdotal experience is a little heavier on the middle-aged and older segment of society being vaccine hesitant.  In looking at the CDC data, you're right though.  Vaccinations have really slowed progressively for all of the younger cohorts.  

image.thumb.png.64579997a25b01b249c0d1aef9d2fe7c.png

On 7/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, Newdoc said:

We have yet to see a reinfection in an immunocompetent person who has both been infected previously and subsequently immunized.  

emily-litella-nevermind-1-jpg.648556

First one today. Healthy, near 40 yo. Had Covid infection Spring of 2020. Immunized fully (2 dose series) this spring. Got it from her kid who got it from another kid at daycare. None of this is good. This is not what we saw prior to Delta. Someone's gonna have to tie me down when I hear the next idiot that doubles down on fake reasons to avoid getting vaccinated. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

emily-litella-nevermind-1-jpg.648556
First one today. Healthy, near 40 yo. Had Covid infection Spring of 2020. Immunized fully (2 dose series) this spring. Got it from her kid who got it from another kid at daycare. None of this is good. This is not what we saw prior to Delta. Someone's gonna have to tie me down when I hear the next idiot that doubles down on fake reasons to avoid getting vaccinated. 
My Nextdoor feed is currently up in arms about the potential for someone to come to their door and ask them if they'd like to be vaccinated. Full out rage. There is no hope for these people. We'll have to learn how to manage this and move on without their help.

What’s the solution when healthcare is on the verge of collapse due to being overwhelmed by covid?

Let it collapse for sake of freedom?

Turn away covid patients which opens the door for denial of service for reasons?

Mandatory vaccinations?

Shut downs?

Other?

My two younger daughters (under vaccination age limit) tested positive about 10 days ago.  The doctor seemed confident they had the new variant.  They have handled it well, really not much different than a mild cold other than lots of fatigue for first couple of days.  The quarantine has had a much bigger impact on their emotional state than the virus, since they've been in the house since they tested positive and missed out on summer camp.  We are following all recommended quarantine guidelines.  

I had the one shot Janssen vaccine a few months ago and I've been fine, despite being in very close proximity to my kids throughout the past 10 days.  

• Like 3

On 7/16/2021 at 8:19 AM, Okie State said:

Remember when this thing was supposed to magically disappear during the Summer?

I feel like with the reliance on AC, it’s actually just as bad in summer in the south/west as the winter is in the north/east as far as people congregating indoors with recirculating air. 

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Fascinating to see how big some of your testicles grow when talking about the unvaccinated. Whenever those of you claiming to do physical harm/commit violent acts towards those that aren’t vaccinated I really hope you are able to get it on camera.

Who is claiming they will attack unvaccinated people?

• Like 2

Fascinating to see how big some of your testicles grow when talking about the unvaccinated. Whenever those of you claiming to do physical harm/commit violent acts towards those that aren’t vaccinated I really hope you are able to get it on camera.

Well, they’re harming the rest of us, so….yeah…forgive us if we’re pissed that people have an easy path to keeping things steady, not harming economic activity, education, healthcare, and the physical well-being of everyone else.

What are you gibber jabbing about?

No one. But why let logic and facts get involved with this? 

My apologies, a better choice of words would have been venom and vitriol as only three posters specifically mentioning exhibiting bodily harm against unvaccinated persons. But I got a bit ahead of myself because there were plenty of others that “liked” those comments.