COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah it's really frustrating.  We can't keep a running tally on it, we have to rely on news releases like this.

Here's another one I found for Austin specifically, back on 7/10:

https://austonia.com/patients-90-percent-unvaccinated

Nearly all patients hospitalized for COVID-19 in Austin are unvaccinated, report says

In a report from KXAN, Austin-Travis County Health Authority Dr. Desmar Walkes revealed that more than 90% of patients admitted to the hospital for COVID-19 were unvaccinated.

As of Friday evening, 89 people are hospitalized for the virus in the county. At least 80 of them are unvaccinated, and more than 40% of the patients are under the age of 50, according to the City of Austin.

Is that self-reported or from verification of records? I bet there are a decent number of unvaccinated claiming to be vaccinated if self-reported.

• Hook 'Em 1

485 cases today in Travis County. Big case numbers for the day. Fuck this shit. If you are not vaccinated you are an asshole. 66 admits today and 314 people hospitalized. This is our first day over 300 in the hospital since 2/23. We have traveled back in time 8 fucking months due to a bunch of people that put themselves over the common fucking good. I am normally a pretty balanced person but this resurgence is really pissing me off as it is largely avoidable. We'd be at like 25-40 cases a day if everyone had been vaccinated. 

(rant over - here is the data) cases still skewing younger which bodes well for deaths.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/28 vs 7/27 3 26 58 131 104 73 43 26 15 6 485
% of Daily Change 0.62% 5.36% 11.96% 27.01% 21.44% 15.05% 8.87% 5.36% 3.09% 1.24%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.38% 10.61% 26.04% 20.73% 14.86% 11.10% 6.48% 3.15% 2.02%  
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

It'd be great if the unvaccinated folks (who have no excuse to not get vaccinated) who get hospitalized, had to pay 100% of the hospital bills.

preach on preacher. This is just ridiculous. People that wanted to politicize a virus and cause nothing but bullshit in terms of mask protests, unnecessary healthcare burden etc can all get rightly fucked.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ive said it before and ill say it again… there is only one way to increase vaccine uptake in this country:

Put out a PSA today that if you catch COVID and are unvaccinated, you cannot come to the hospital for help. 

We’ll be at 75% vaccinated in less than a week

Aren’t you a nurse?

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ive said it before and ill say it again… there is only one way to increase vaccine uptake in this country:

Put out a PSA today that if you catch COVID and are unvaccinated, you cannot come to the hospital for help. 

We’ll be at 75% vaccinated in less than a week

It's way more likely to cause protests outside of hospitals and doctors and nurses harassed on the way to their cars.

Horrible, this idea.

Telling the unvaccinated that they will have to pay 100% of their hospital bills will do next to nothing. These people are not worried about COVID so why do they care about these hypothetical hospital bills. 

Instead I see 3 realistic options to increase vaccination rates:

• Fear: When a COVID wave hits an area, we're seeing more vaccinations as people see this hitting close to home. Arkansas and Missouri have seen big upticks in 1st vaccinations in July.
  • Greed: Offer a $1000 tax credit for everyone that has a vaccine.  This should have been the plan since Jan. 21st. Hell, $100 may get many to the vax lines if cricket is about to cut off their phone/data plan.
  • Validation: Get some respected voices (for any demographic) to tell them that they were right to wait. "The vaccine was unproven early this year. You made the right decision at that point. But now we have substantial proof the vaccine is safe and effective. It's time to get the vaccine." As much as hate this route in that it somehow justifies their stupidity, the rest of us need them vaccinated to avoid a 5th wave this winter. 
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

If it is basically just unvaccinated people getting hospitalized and dying, then why do we care that much?  If enough of them do, maybe the dumbasses will get the shot.

I get that the virus can mutate.  But the USA is 50% fully vaxxed.  The rest of the world is like 13% vaxxed.  It is going to mutate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If it is basically just unvaccinated people getting hospitalized and dying, then why do we care that much?  If enough of them do, maybe the dumbasses will get the shot.

I get that the virus can mutate.  But the USA is 50% fully vaxxed.  The rest of the world is like 13% vaxxed.  It is going to mutate.

Because if the hospitals are full of their unvaccinated gomer asses, it reduces the overall capacity to serve the rest of society. Shit, we're already receiving overflow from OK for treatment because all their beds are filled with COVID cases. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We?
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Because if the hospitals are full of their unvaccinated gomer asses, it reduces the overall capacity to serve the rest of society. Shit, we're already receiving overflow from OK for treatment because all their beds are filled with COVID cases. 

Beaumont, Killeen and College Station are basically out of ICU beds. Not a good time to have a major medical problem in those areas. And as others have pointed out, the problems in these cities can quickly become the problem of Austin or Houston when patients are sent there.

which everyone who isn't a bleating fucking moron knows and understands because hospital beds aren't something that's tremendously overbuilt like subway's shitty sandwich shops but we are talking oklahoma so it probably has to be said. 

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

11 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

.... a mildly significant piece of context.

The point isn't that it's 100% full of COVID patients, but rather that the baseline load on our hospitals is raised for no good reason other than stubbornness and pride to not get vaccinated. 

Hospitals being reduced in their capacity for sake of serving completely preventable illness is just an extension of empowered stupidity and selfishness. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas has seen nearly 9,000 COVID-19 deaths since February. All but 43 were unvaccinated people.
Preliminary data shows 99.5% of COVID-related deaths in Texas were among unvaccinated people, according to the Department of State Health Services.

Of the 8,787 people who have died in Texas due to COVID-19 since early February, at least 43 were fully vaccinated, the Texas Department of State Health Services said.

That means 99.5% of people who died due to COVID-19 in Texas from Feb. 8 to July 14 were unvaccinated, while 0.5% were the result of “breakthrough infections,” which DSHS defines as people who contracted the virus two weeks after being fully vaccinated.

The agency said nearly 75% of the 43 vaccinated people who died were fighting a serious underlying condition, such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer or chronic lung disease.

Additionally, it said 95% of the 43 vaccinated people who died were 60 or older, and that a majority of them were white and a majority were men.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/21/coronavirus-texas-vaccinated-deaths/

14 minutes ago, elfenix said:

which everyone who isn't a bleating fucking moron knows and understands because hospital beds aren't something that's tremendously overbuilt like subway's shitty sandwich shops but we are talking oklahoma so it probably has to be said. 

Here come a couple million Facebook posts to point to this as another example of a Covid conspiracy. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Because it takes up our hospital beds and stresses our healthcare system (which was not designed for a pandemic), because it costs the rest of us in subsidized healthcare costs, because it causes lots of problems with policies over whether to mask up or not, because kids under 12 can't get vaccinated yet, etc., etc.

I don't give much of a shit about my unvaccinated and uninsured qanon in-law, except that if she gets sick and ends up in the hospital, her dad and step-mom are paying her costs.  It was better when all we had to worry about was when she was going to end up under a fucking bridge in a tent.

I'm trying to buy masks to protect against this new wave but I can't make heads or tails of what masks on Amazon are actually effective. Many look like shady foreign manufacturers. Anyone have any suggestions of masks to buy off Amazon or elsewhere?

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

This is the "Texas Only" thread, so here's the reproduction rate from that website in our state, which is the highest it's been since the initial outbreak.

image.png.a05e7847ec21158dafc75de49372f117.png

Delta is one contagious bitch that you can have almost half the state vaccinated and still have an R naught of 1.52.  

Second day in a row with >400 cases in Travis County with 456 today.Over representation in 80+ which I don't love seeing. 325 people hospitalized with 53 new admits.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/29 vs 7/28 5 36 66 91 87 82 35 27 14 13 456
% of Daily Change 1.10% 7.89% 14.47% 19.96% 19.08% 17.98% 7.68% 5.92% 3.07% 2.85%  
% of Total Cases 0.64% 4.40% 10.63% 26.00% 20.72% 14.87% 11.08% 6.48% 3.15% 2.03%  
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Second day in a row with >400 cases in Travis County with 456 today.Over representation in 80+ which I don't love seeing. 

I have a friend who has two elderly relatives, and both decided they didn't need to get vaccinated, because it was risk (I don't know why they thought that) and they are basically shut-ins, and I'm wondering if it's burning through that small amount of elderly who held off.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I have a friend who has two elderly relatives, and both decided they didn't need to get vaccinated, because it was risk (I don't know why they thought that) and they are basically shut-ins, and I'm wondering if it's burning through that small amount of elderly who held off.

This is looking like it is going to end up burning through a lot of people. This infections are running through the roof. So frustrating.

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. Right now, we're seriously thinking about pulling them out of their extra circulars. Which were basically the only fun things with kids their age they've been able to do the last 18 months. (We started them in May, when we thought it would be safe)